Page 36 of 98 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Hello! Add me to the list of people who registered into the forums after being fascinated by this deck!

I see some players are testing Shreds of Sanity, and I wonder why play it over Mizzix's Mastery? Does the +1 cmc matter that much?
    I noticed Mastery was mentioned earlier in the thread but quickly dismissed... IMO it's more attractive than Shreds since it doesn't require you to discard anything and can net you mana when used in a Seething Song. I'm testing 1 copy in the SB and it proved itself useful in situations where I wouldn't have enough mana to pay for the flashbacks from PiF.

Also: Guttersnipe is amazing! I'm convinced he deserves, at the very least, some slots in the sideboard.

i'd say that shreds is still being tested. not sure if it's better than mizzix's. mizzix's was tested a while back, dunno how much it matches with other cards. it was originally played when we were running hazoret's. since then it was cut, but i can't imagine it's terrible as a wish target, if you don't mind it taking up a slot.

i'll finally be able to play at a local this week, so i'll update with a quick report.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm going to be headed to the local either this Friday or next as well, bringing my turbo-Warrens/Blood Moon approach. The only change I'm making is:

-1 Crystal Vein
    +1 Mountain

The rest is the same as my most recent posted list.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

tournament report coming soon.

Quick answers. Shattering spree is good. By force does get cheapened and the X does matter for stuff.

Shreds of Sanity gets TWO cards. Mizzix's Mastery gets 1 or all cards. Totally matters IMO. Worth testing out.

I think off color cards are 100% fine in a deck with manamorphose, petal, and led. I run them.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Am I crazy, or have we never discussed Burning Vengeance? Same cost as Guttersnipe, not susceptible to creature spot removal. Plus, there is a huge upside: creature OR player. It's another wombo-combo with Past in Flames, which our deck is already built around. Faithless Looting's stock goes way up if this is a legit approach.

EDIT: Theoretical list

4x Lotus Petal
    4x Rite of Flame
    4x Manamorphose
    4x Seething Song
    1x Desperate Ritual
    1x Simian Spirit Guide

4x Ruby Medallion
    1x Helm of Awakening

3x Past in Flames
    4x Burning Wish

4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Faithless Looting
    4x Act on Impulse
    3x Burning Vengeance

11x Mountain
    4x Ancient Tomb

Sideboard
    1x Tendrils
    1x Past in Flames
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x By Force
    1x Cave-In
    2x Scab-Clan Berserker
    2x Tormod's Crypt
    6x meta-based flex slots (pyroblast, blood moon, ensnaring bridge, etc.)
    [/CARDS]

Not sure what LED would look like with Vengeance, it has obvious synergy. Maybe just drop the Lootings straight-up.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Being impermeable to creature removal and removing creatures sure are great traits, but one the other hand it is a slower than Guttersnipe and inconsistent since you require Past in Flames to do anything with it. It also leaves you completely vulnerable to grave hate, and IMO one of the strongest arguments to be made in favor of Guttersnipe is that the deck still functions through grave hate.

Still worth exploring, though I think dealing with Leyline of the Void and Rest in Peace is a issue that pops up. Maybe add Fragmentize to the wish board?

Also, this is could be a bad idea, but if you're going to go all in on Past in Flames + Burning Vengeace plan why not give Catalyst Stone a try? Could replace the 1-of Helm of Awakening.

TOURNAMENT REPORT – ETERNAL WEEKEND – FINAL RECORD 6-5

ROUND 1 – BILL ON DREDGE – LOSE IN 3

Game 1 he does a few dredge things. I get out Rubies and am able to go off at 10 life.

Game 2 he does Putrid Imp pass. I go off storm have RRR RRR and can either do Empty the Warrens for 10 and race or do Reforge the Soul...against dredge. I choose the goblin plan. He dredges gets hot Narcomoebas AND bridges. Dread Returns a 12/12 GGT. I swing into him to clock and exile his bridges. He dredges more, gets more bridges and zombies and outraces me. :C I don’t think either option was particularly pleasant. Possible should have mulliganned this game

Game 3 I have a great starting hand. Turn 1 Ruby. He natural states it. I attempt to go off, use reforge the soul...end up whiffing. I fueled him into turn one dread return Iona. I draw a card....scoop. No point really. Laughing because I never had to write down a life total here. Shrug.

Empty the Warrens and Reforge the Soul are both VERY bad versus dredge I think. Both go on to let me down all day though.

ROUND 2 – CHRIS ON 4 COLOR CONTROL – LOSE IN 3

Game 1 I get a Ruby and am able to go off. I think I pulled out his FOW on a burning wish and then Past in Flames it all back for the win.

Game 2 – I PUNT. I probe him and see Hymn, Blue Elemental Blast, Surgical, DRS and lands. Had I not played land first, I drew tomb off the probe and could have gone Defense Grid. He passes back holding BEB. I Seething Song into it intentionally. I COULD HAVE JUST CAST DEFENSE GRID. Derp. He blasts it, untaps, thoughtseizes me and surgicals the Defense Grid, I think it was. Went on to lose. My fault.

Game 3 I blood moon him. He fetches in response gets VOLCANIC?! Brainstorm. Resolves. Plays Island. Plays Swamp. I get beatdown with baleful strixes til I lose. Can’t get gas to go off. :C I probed him before too. Possible he drew the Island after my probe, but still a super greedy play.

ROUND 3 – COLIN ON NIC FIT-WHITE – WIN IN 2

These games were pretty quick. He didn’t have much interaction. Stormed out. Won in 2.

ROUND 4 – JOHN ON SHOW AND TELL – LOSE IN 2

Game 1 I think I kept a hand without a go big payoff. Note is fuzzy. He is able to show and tell pretty early and get me.

Game 2 I go for Telemin Performance. I suspect he has counter magic and pass. He does show and tell Omniscience-Grisel draw 7 Emrakul.

I ask if he had the counter magic. He said no. Had I fired it I would have gotten an Emrakul. However he would have also gotten Emrakul, extra turn, and annihilator triggered me out anyway. Shrug. Possibly have to blind go for it other times for a different outcome. I feel like this is a bad matchup similar to Reanimator.

ROUND 5 – KEVIN ON ZOO BREW- WIN IN 2

Game 1 He aggros me pretty good. I actually suspect burn, but Zoo because lands? I’m able to go off though.

I bring in Defense Grids because I’m worried about Fireblast. He does not have Fireblast. He aggros me to 8, but I am able to go off again without much interaction. Goblin tokens.

ROUND 6 – THOMAS (GOES BY PAUL) ON 4 COLOR CONTROL – WIN IN 3

Game 1 I am able to go off quick. Didn’t take much notes here. I bring in Moons and Defense Grids. 1 Abrade.

Game 2 I go off quick with Empty the Warrens. Marsh Casualties. I past in flames go off again. Marsh Casualties AGAIN. I lose pretty handily after all my spells are exiled and controlled out.

Game 3 He surgicals Burning Wish. I’m able to go off by Act on Impulse into Empty the Warrens.

ROUND 7 - SCOTT ON NIC FIT-BLUE – LOSE IN 3

Game 1 – only game I get punished from a fetchland. He does DRS into Leo. Gets me real good. I get a warning here from almost accidentally drawing a card off manamorphose. I go for goblins, but can’t do much because he has Pernicious Deed.

Game 2 bring in defense grids and surgicals for counterspells etc. Abrade too I think.
    I’m able to reforge the soul, take his mindbreak traps and go off with tendrils.

Game 3 I suspect Mindbreak. I am able to do Empty the warrens for 16 goblins, AND tendrils for 18 damage. I’m at 36 he’s at 1. He has a Scooze. Eats his one Veteran to gain 1 life, Toxic Deluge for 1. I think I’m okay to get ONE point of damage in so many turns. Draw land, land, land, rite of flame, land, petal. He proceeds to kill me with scooze at 3/3, 2 baleful strixes and 2 vets.

ROUND 8 – NO SHOW

ROUND 9 – JOSH ON MAVERICK – WIN IN 3

Game 1 I keep a greedy one land hand. Thinking I’m good if I draw another land. I drew another land, but not before he landed a Thalia. He gets beats. I don’t play anything other than LED and discard a Past in Flames. He suspects storm.

Game 2 I am able to go off. He didn’t expect red storm or prepare for it.

Game 3 I play a Helm. He goes Stoneforge, Stoneforge, hardcast Jitte. Only time the helm got me like that. LOL. I am able to blood moon him after, combo out, abrade his sword and jitte off past in flames, and make big ol mess of goblins. He draws a card then scoops.

ROUND 10 – BRIAN ON 4 COLOR CONTROL MINUS RED + WASTELANDS – LOSE IN 2

I tilted during this match. Keeping it short. He wastelanded my ancient tombs. Both games. DRS + Jace made sure I didn’t do anything else.

At one point I miracled reforge only for him to have FOW and Brainstorm as his only 2 cards. When I’m doing land pass off his Jace, his slow playstyle was kinda BM to me. My own personal bizz I’m sure. He wasn’t THAT slow.

ROUND 11 – JD ON SPANISH INQUISITION THE EPIC STORM – WIN IN 2

Game 1 I make a bunch of goblins and beat him down for 2 turns.

Game 2 he does his draw 4 and passes. I surgical his Culling the Weak. Able to go off a turn or two later.

MVP – Act on Impulse

LVP – Reforge the Soul. Surgical Extraction. Telemin Performance too slow.

I loved reforge at first. In this big tourney it was a liability, or hosed by Leovold.

Empty the Warrens got hosed a LOT. Game 1, turn 1 surprise goblins? Sure. Past that not so much. Not sure if I would want more Empty the Warrens maindecked?

Gamble UNDER preformed in the long run. It got me what I wanted, but I always discarded a card that would have significantly helped the storm.

Shreds of Sanity was great every time. Being able to choose the cards I wanted was fantastic.

I think the right artifact split is 2 helms and 3 rubies. Helm , when mattering, gassed me so much it didn’t actually matter.

DECKLIST

ARTIFACTS 13
    4 LOTUS PETAL
    4 LION’S EYE DIAMOND
    4 RUBY MEDALLION
    1 HELM OF AWAKENING

LANDS 14
    4 BLOODSTAINED MIRE
    4 ANCIENT TOMB
    6 MOUNTAIN

SPELLS 33
    4 GITAXIAN PROBE
    4 MANAMORPHOSE
    4 RITE OF FLAME
    4 SEETHING SONG
    4 BURNING WISH
    4 ACT ON IMPULSE
    3 REFORGE THE SOUL
    3 PAST IN FLAMES
    1 EMPTY THE WARRENS
    1 SHREDS OF SANITY
    1 GAMBLE

SIDEBOARD

2 DEFENSE GRID
    2 SURGICAL EXTRACTION
    2 BLOOD MOON
    1 ABRADE
    1 TENDRILS OF AGONY
    1 EMPTY THE WARRENS
    1 GOBLIN WAR STRIKE
    1 TELEMIN PERFORMANCE
    1 PAST IN FLAMES
    1 REFORGE THE SOUL
    1 BY FORCE
    1 CAVE-IN

I’m taking out, not sure what replaces yet:
    -2 REFORGE THE SOUL
    -1 PAST IN FLAMES
    -1 GAMBLE

SB

-1 TELEMIN PERFORMANCE
    -2 SURGICAL EXTRACTION
    -1 REFORGE THE SOUL

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Being impermeable to creature removal and removing creatures sure are great traits, but one the other hand it is a slower than Guttersnipe and inconsistent since you require Past in Flames to do anything with it. It also leaves you completely vulnerable to grave hate, and IMO one of the strongest arguments to be made in favor of Guttersnipe is that the deck still functions through grave hate.

Still worth exploring, though I think dealing with Leyline of the Void and Rest in Peace is a issue that pops up. Maybe add Fragmentize to the wish board?

Also, this is could be a bad idea, but if you're going to go all in on Past in Flames + Burning Vengeace plan why not give Catalyst Stone a try? Could replace the 1-of Helm of Awakening.
    This is why I put vengeance maindeck, would need to adjust g2-3 for grave hate.

@compacta_d: I ditched reforge a long time ago...i play one in my wishboard, just for extra gas against matchups where it doesn't matter. Nice writeup, sorry it didn't go smoother! Way to fly the flag for Ruby Storm.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    This is why I put vengeance maindeck, would need to adjust g2-3 for grave hate.

@compacta_d: I ditched reforge a long time ago...i play one in my wishboard, just for extra gas against matchups where it doesn't matter. Nice writeup, sorry it didn't go smoother! Way to fly the flag for Ruby Storm.
    Right? But I don't like HUF, RTS, guttersnipe OR empty. Figuring it out 1 card at a time

In an attempt to find removal worth main-decking, I decided to try out some copies of Magma Jet. Deals with pesky creatures while the scry 2 helps making sure Act on Impulse doesn't whiff. Looks good in theory IMO. Will give it some testing.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Magma jet is okay. I liked it in builds with a lot of Reforge. It's good if your meta is full of delver decks. (also much better with probe versions since you can draw what you've scryd for.)

If you're still looking for a lot of cards at one time in a Leovold meta then commune with Lava is fine too. (keep in mind worse with grids)

Also it's top had shreds exiles upon cast. Otherwise you could have 2 rocks out and go infinite draw/storm with a manamorphose and 2 shreds.
    -rob

Going to test 4 maindeck Dangerous Wager.

If we're doing psuedo ancestral recalls, we might as well do psuedo ancestral recalls. AMIRITE? Probably not.

Being an instant allows some shenannigans though.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Going to test 4 maindeck Dangerous Wager.

If we're doing psuedo ancestral recalls, we might as well do psuedo ancestral recalls. AMIRITE? Probably not.

Being an instant allows some shenannigans though.
    Maybe worth testing with Burning Vengeance? I like Faithless Looting a little better, but I can see instant speed being ok.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Maybe worth testing with Burning Vengeance? I like Faithless Looting a little better, but I can see instant speed being ok.
    That seriously opens you up to grave hate though, which I would rather avoid.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

am looking forward to hearing how dangerous wager works in the deck.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    That seriously opens you up to grave hate though, which I would rather avoid.
    This is a past in flames deck...there's no way around it, grave hate will be a problem. G1 should be ok, essentially the only worry being Deathrite Shaman. G2 you should be leaning heavily on Empty the Warrens, a strong hand that gets you a natural storm win with Tendrils, or Guttersnipe/Blood Moon to attack the specific matchup.

You bring up a good point however, and that is: why be so reliant on graveyard maindeck, even for the win condition, because Looting/Wager isn't really a flexible slot based on how the deck is constructed. I could see either being subbed out for protection (Defense Grid, Blood Moon, Pyroblast, etc.) but then what we're doing is maindboarding flex slots for sideboard matches. This is basically what I do with Overmaster x3.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think he's referencing burning vengeance.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i think he's referencing burning vengeance.
    Doh! Yeah, that makes more sense now.

Not promoting Vengeance, just saying its yet another avenue the deck has available.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

2-1 and then my 4th round opponent left early.

R1 junk,
    G1 I win on turn 2
    G2 I win thru null rod, teeg and leyline of Sanctity. (guttersnipe and Abrade)

R2 eldrazi
    G1 I mull to 5, he has turn 1 chalice, turn 2 Thorn, turn 3 Thorn I get stuck on 1 land.
    G2 he has turn 1 Thorn turn 2 tks

R3 aggro loam
    G1 turn 3 kill
    G2 turn 1 kill

edit with list:

11 mountain
    2 ancient tomb
    1 city of traitors
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Helm of Awakening
    2 Shreds of Sanity
    2 Guttersnipe
    1 Gamble
    3 Past in Flames

sb

1 tendrils of agony
    1 grapeshot
    1 empty the warrens
    1 past in flames
    1 reforge the soul
    1 cave-in
    3 scab-clan berserker
    2 tormod's crypt
    1 guttersnipe
    1 by force
    2 abrade

i think shreds is very good in the deck and would play again. not sure if more than 2 is correct, the only card i'd cut for it right now is probably 1 gamble, but i do like the gamble.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 10-25-2017 at 03:44 AM.
    -rob

Jan 2010
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    2-1 and then my 4th round opponent left early.

R1 junk,
    G1 I win on turn 2
    G2 I win thru null rod, teeg and leyline of Sanctity. (guttersnipe and Abrade)

R2 eldrazi
    G1 I mull to 5, he has turn 1 chalice, turn 2 Thorn, turn 3 Thorn I get stuck on 1 land.
    G2 he has turn 1 Thorn turn 2 tks

R3 aggro loam
    G1 turn 3 kill
    G2 turn 1 kill

edit with list:

11 mountain
    2 ancient tomb
    1 city of traitors
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Helm of Awakening
    2 Shreds of Sanity
    2 Guttersnipe
    1 Gamble
    3 Past in Flames

sb

1 tendrils of agony
    1 grapeshot
    1 empty the warrens
    1 past in flames
    1 reforge the soul
    1 cave-in
    3 scab-clan berserker
    2 tormod's crypt
    1 guttersnipe
    1 by force
    2 abrade

i think shreds is very good in the deck and would play again. not sure if more than 2 is correct, the only card i'd cut for it right now is probably 1 gamble, but i do like the gamble.

I like that list. What is the reason behind third Guttersnipe in SB? How does a t1 kill usually look like - never had a chance to make it but I have just started toying with the deck.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

3rd guttersnipe was more added in case opponent had a lot of graveyard hate. it also randomly got around leyline of sanctity.

the turn 1 kill here something like.

sol land -> helm of awakening
    petal -> manamorphose -> seething song -> act on impulse. at this point i had already cast some probes, drew some led, another seething song etc....then past in flames and eventually got a burning wish for tendrils.

other lines could be something like

RoF RoF, Ruby, Song, AoI -> something.

turn 2 is much more common if you have a turn 1 ruby or helm. untapping with an extra mountain can be quite helpful.
    -rob

Thread Information