Page 73 of 98 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Time to play another tournament! I wanted to play the UR list but a friend asked if he could borrow Grixis Delver, which I was fine with because I've always wanted to try mono red again, cause I haven't played it a lot with Bonus Round being legal. I'm thinking of this list:

4 Sandstone Needle
    4 Ancient Tomb
    7 Mountain

3 Rite of Flame
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Lion Eye's Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion

1 Overmaster
    2 Lightning Bolt
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Reforge the Soul
    2 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Act on Impulse

// Sideboard
    1 Overmaster
    3 Defense Grid
    2 Silent Gravestone
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Gamble
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 By Force
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Abrade

So the SB isn't fixed yet, I kind of want a second Abrade and I think the Gamble is going to the mainboard. I like the Overmaster MB, as well as one SB. Served kind of the same role as Defense Grid SB so that's why I only run 3. No Fiery Confluence because it hasn't arrived yet :(. I ordered one after my last tournament but it's still on my way to my house.

Not sure what I want to change MB, or if I want to change something MB. So far it's been good, so why change it right.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Looks good, good luck.
    -rob

Can someone who likes overmaster explain when and how it's good in practice? I decided to play a league with 4 overmasters just to try it, but to me it was worthless. Or when it was good, any 1 mana cantrip would have been as good (and preordain would have been even better). The can't be countered part never mattered, because i found myself in situations where i could overmaster a PiF, but then they could just counter my first ritual out of the graveyard and i was then out of mana. Or i could overmaster a bonus round, but then they countered my follow up spell and i fizzled out. Or the most common way, i needed to start with a seething song and seething song were countered so nothing ever mattered.
    Might be my playstyle, but i don't see how the card ever does anything, but i want to understand :D

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

For 1 mana red spells, I think gamble or lightning bolt is always better.

After goldfishing with over overmaster, I'm not willing to play it.
    -rob

3-2 today. Won against Nic Fit, Elves and Eldrazi Post. Loss against Miracles (mull to 6 & 5) and B/R Reanimator (I win G1, he G2&3 cause that's what they do).

List way okay but I'm going back to UR, Act on Impulse feels really clunky without a Medallion and UR just feels more consistent for me. LED is also a bit awkward sometimes, because you cant go SS > Bonus Round > Desperate Ritual to start things off with Bonus Round. Sure, the manabase is different but Sandstone Needle is also a card that's vulnerable to Wasteland so it's not that you're losing that many points if you're playing UR against Wasteland.

Overmaster was decent for me, didn't win any games but it also didn't lost me any games (like compared to Gamble). I think it's decent because worst case it cycles itself, best case you can combo off.

Bolts were pretty good, one game against Elves my Wishes got extracted turn 1 because of a Thoughtseize and I was able to deal 40+ damage with Bolts on turn 3 :P

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Bosaapje View Post
    3-2 today. Won against Nic Fit, Elves and Eldrazi Post. Loss against Miracles (mull to 6 & 5) and B/R Reanimator (I win G1, he G2&3 cause that's what they do).

List way okay but I'm going back to UR, Act on Impulse feels really clunky without a Medallion and UR just feels more consistent for me. LED is also a bit awkward sometimes, because you cant go SS > Bonus Round > Desperate Ritual to start things off with Bonus Round. Sure, the manabase is different but Sandstone Needle is also a card that's vulnerable to Wasteland so it's not that you're losing that many points if you're playing UR against Wasteland.

Overmaster was decent for me, didn't win any games but it also didn't lost me any games (like compared to Gamble). I think it's decent because worst case it cycles itself, best case you can combo off.

Bolts were pretty good, one game against Elves my Wishes got extracted turn 1 because of a Thoughtseize and I was able to deal 40+ damage with Bolts on turn 3 :P
    thanks for the report. i can see how the miracles matchup could have been better with ponder and brainstorm (since they in general can sculpt poor opening hands). other than it doesn't seem like there were too many issues w/ the deck. pretty sure the reanimator matchup is rough no matter what 75, as it tends to be a deck that just destroys other combo decks (ant included).

what were your games in the other 3? did eldrazi post land a chalice for 1?

thanks
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bosaapje View Post
    Time to play another tournament! I wanted to play the UR list but a friend asked if he could borrow Grixis Delver, which I was fine with because I've always wanted to try mono red again, cause I haven't played it a lot with Bonus Round being legal. I'm thinking of this list:

4 Sandstone Needle
    4 Ancient Tomb
    7 Mountain

3 Rite of Flame
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Lion Eye's Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion

1 Overmaster
    2 Lightning Bolt
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Reforge the Soul
    2 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Act on Impulse

// Sideboard
    1 Overmaster
    3 Defense Grid
    2 Silent Gravestone
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Gamble
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 By Force
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Abrade

So the SB isn't fixed yet, I kind of want a second Abrade and I think the Gamble is going to the mainboard. I like the Overmaster MB, as well as one SB. Served kind of the same role as Defense Grid SB so that's why I only run 3. No Fiery Confluence because it hasn't arrived yet :(. I ordered one after my last tournament but it's still on my way to my house.

Not sure what I want to change MB, or if I want to change something MB. So far it's been good, so why change it right.
    The Tormenting Voice with Bonus Round isnt a good option for the deck?
    In your list:
    -1 Over
    -2 lightning bolt
    +3 Tormenting ?
    Keep Walking, Voidwalker! - Use bugs with moderation -

Quote Originally Posted by Lammina View Post
    The Tormenting Voice with Bonus Round isnt a good option for the deck?
    In your list:
    -1 Over
    -2 lightning bolt
    +3 Tormenting ?
    I actually liked the Lightning Bolts very much, gave me another wincondition but I can see going down on them. I rather go down on them than on Overmaster because I still feel that the card is good and I want one copy. It also goes through Counterbalance or if there's a Chalice on 2 (rare case but it's still a cantrip in the worst case).

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    thanks for the report. i can see how the miracles matchup could have been better with ponder and brainstorm (since they in general can sculpt poor opening hands). other than it doesn't seem like there were too many issues w/ the deck. pretty sure the reanimator matchup is rough no matter what 75, as it tends to be a deck that just destroys other combo decks (ant included).

what were your games in the other 3? did eldrazi post land a chalice for 1?

thanks
    Yeah but the Mono Red version has slightly more punch which is also not bad. Going to 6 mana on turn three without rituals but because of the Sol lands is really good in a matchup without wasteland. B/R Reanimator is bad, I already knew what I was playing so I was glad that I could get a T2 win.

Eldrazi Post landed a Chalice for zero, but that didn't matter. Game two I deployed an Helm and he could deploy two TKS. I almost comboed off lol, it was pretty darn close. Game three he has two Thorns but I had two Medallions so I could win by making mana the good old fashioned way.

Nic Fit was game one win, game two he had a quick Nether Void and game three I was on the play again and won. It was a turn two kill, IIRC with turn one Needle, turn two Tomb into Medallion into the nuts.

Elves was just goldfishing. He presented a turn 3 kill on the draw and it felt that I couldn't wait any longer so I decided to go for it. I had enough mana to cast Bonus Round and Overmaster. Had a LED which I could crack in response to the Overmaster. Overmaster drew into two cards, which were a Manamorphose and something else good which I can't remember. Tormenting Voice would have been fine here as well, because I had a land to discard. Still staying by my Overmaster tho, at least a couple more games. Game 2 was again a race and I won the race because he was on the deal-20-damage-with-6-small-creatures-plan which took him at least 3 turns. This was also the game that he discarded and extracted my Wishes but Bolt saved the day.

Not sure if I'm gonna take the deck this Wednesday to the FNM, I also wanna jam Infect again (my original deck that I've been playing for years) or maybe even Grixis Control (but we have 2 other players and I don't wanna play the mirror lol).

https://sheffieldlegacy.com/upcoming/

Might bring this deck to that. Any UK folk here planning to attend?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

looks cool. i won't be in the UK around that time. i will be in london on the week of dec 10th. not sure what days i'll be free. (already have the 13th blocked off for work). what nights are legacy played in london?

thanks!
    -rob

Been a while since I last visited this thread.
    I see some have discovered Tormenting Voice. I also see potential here. It's better than Faithless Looting when Bonus Round'ed.
    I also now remember Pirate's Pillage being mentioned earlier in the thread when it was released. That was before Bonus Round though. With BR it could have some merit, maybe as a one-of.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think that josef tested them both, but it's always better to get more data.
    -rob

Yeah i played with both, did not like tormenting voice, but did not test it much. If i remember correctly i think it was great after bonus round, but did not do enough before playing bonus round. But i could be wrong and more testing is great :) In a mono red build it's probably better as i would rather play preordain if i have access to blue.
    Pirates pillage were for a long time a card in my sideboard and i wished for it quite often when i had like 1-2 mana after burning wishing during a bonus round turn. Got rite of flame and pirates pillage to draw 4 and still have 4 mana. It also was quite good to be able to get black mana via burning wish. But after a while i realized that if i had 2 mana after BW i could get RoF and PiF and probably win that way, and if i really had to combo and only had 1 mana i could get RoF and Empty. In the end i cut it as i felt that i needed more "real" sideboard cards.

Tormenting Voice is still sweet before you Bonus Round. It makes a lot of starting hands keep-able that otherwise wouldn't be, which Faithless Looting doesn't do quite so well because of the card disadvantage. There's nowt wrong with a turn two Tormenting Voice to try and set up for a turn three win. It's impressed me as it is, and with Bonus Round or a Ruby Medallion it's just great.

Just sleeves this up a few weeks ago and I have some questions for the chat. Main board Sentinel Tower has been great for me. Ive been running one mb and 1 sb for game two against FoW decks.

Anyone else see this as a playable with a two helm package?

I'm pretty into one overmaster and played 2 Faithless Looting this past weekend and they felt bad. Thinking of going 2 tormenting voice for Monday night legacy at my LGS, will report back.

Has anyone tested the Chandra, Torch?

Sent from my HUAWEI MLA-L03 using Tapatalk

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I had 4 torch in my original version when I was running 4 spirit guides. It can be good with hazorets, and is another threat. Can kill delvers and thalia, but it's a bit steep at 4 mana.

Eventually I cut it. I after that sold my playset so I haven't tested it any more since.
    -rob

I don't see why you want Chandra MB, SB I can see it but I rather have Jaya then. She makes more mana and draws into more cards. Killing Delvers is cute but Bolt is better for that, since it copies with Bonus Round. The deck can do more broken things than casting a Chandra on turn 3.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

It was more for turn 1 chandras. You'll have to go back quite a bit on the thread but you can find my list then.
    -rob

Thanks for the response, currently Chandra is out. I guess everyone is off sentinel tower in paper?

Sent from my HUAWEI MLA-L03 using Tapatalk

I don't really like sentinel tower because I think it does not do enough in the bad matchups.

Thread Information