Page 68 of 98 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    grapeshot doesn't work very well with bonus round. it will not trigger an additional storm. (up to you whether you still think it's worth it, i don't think the value is good enough)

this one looks sweet. dunno how good it is, but seems really cool, also incentivizes fetch lands quite a bit.
    This one, in a led list seems very strong.
    It's quite similiar to FS.
    maybe it's better with brainstorm?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

every card is better with brainstorm, so not really a great argument. feel free to try it out though.

in addition, here's my latest sandstone needle list:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Scroll Rack
    2 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 10 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    2 Desperate Ritual

// 14 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    6 Mountain
    4 Sandstone Needle

// 24 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Past in Flames
    4 Reforge the Soul
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Act on Impulse
    2 Hazoret's Undying Fury

// 15 Sideboard
    // 5 Artifact
    SB: 3 Defense Grid
    SB: 2 Silent Gravestone

// 2 Instant
    SB: 2 Abrade

// 8 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    SB: 1 Dark Petition

i just want to point out that even though scroll rack isn't the most efficient card, if you play this deck over many rounds you will have some consistency issues. scroll rack is being tested to help mitigate that.

if you're only playing 3-4 rounds, then it might be fine without it. (the UR version prob doesn't need it as you have ponder/brainstorm)
    -rob

@mistercakes regarding LED in a AoI-less list:

I can see where you're coming from. While all your points are valid and I'm going to play Desperate Ritual in the next build, I do worry about not being able to cast Tendrils often from the sideboard without LED. I have a feeling that Manamorphoses alone are not enough, but maybe I'm too cautious.

RE: Sandstone Needle
    Are you sure that Sandstone Needle is good enough in a format with Wasteland and where you can go in the long game sometimes against Grixis Control and Miracles? I haven't tested it, because you can test so many decks in so little time so maybe I'm just talking bullshit but I don't see that the benefits outweigh the risks.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I still need to test some more with needles, but have been happy with it as of yet.

One of the main reasons why I'm running needles is that I'm trying to max out on reasons to keep it mono red. It's never a bad bet to play with 4 brainstorm and 4 ponder. (they're great cards and they add a lot of value to any deck.)

Sandstone needle is a card that the other combo decks can't reasonably run. It also allows your turn 2 games to happen a lot more frequently. If you do expect a meta with not so much miracles and instead tons of delver variants and dnt, then maybe needle won't be right that time.

I've only played a few matchups with the deck since I started running needles, and wasteland hasn't really had a huge enough impact so far.

Don't worry about casting tendrils, the deck is quite capable. Also remember that 2 bonus round and a wish can get you a fiery confluence.
    -rob

In my experience lacking black mana for tendrils do come up really rarely, and when it do come up I often can win anyways. Can't recall a single time I lost because of it, and I usually never get black from my manamorphoses preemptively. Most of the time if you can win through tendrils you can burning wish for grapeshot+fiery confluence and win that way.

MTGO name: Aggro4Life

Aug 2016
    Arizona, USA

So Michael Clifford (cl1ffy81) had a Ruby Storm Stream yesterday. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/313538393

Here is the highlight:

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i watched the first game vs goblins and saw a bunch of misplays on how to interact with rishadan port. happy to see the deck being played regardless.

thanks for the link.
    -rob

i watched the first game vs goblins and saw a bunch of misplays on how to interact with rishadan port. happy to see the deck being played regardless.

thanks for the link.
    Could you point out what you would have done differently? I'm not seeing the misplays, would you not have cycled the Manamorphoses as he was doing?

Mengucci streamed mono red storm.
    https://youtu.be/MP8iyLSKAi4

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Bosaapje View Post
    Could you point out what you would have done differently? I'm not seeing the misplays, would you not have cycled the Manamorphoses as he was doing?
    he was being ported for some turns when he had a tomb and mtn out. he could have cast manamorphose into a brainstorm. this would have potentially opened up some big plays. instead he just got ported down and died.

it's fine, the deck isn't as easy as casting a bunch of brainstorm/ponder/discard and going off when the coast is clear. :)
    -rob

he was being ported for some turns when he had a tomb and mtn out. he could have cast manamorphose into a brainstorm. this would have potentially opened up some big plays. instead he just got ported down and died.

it's fine, the deck isn't as easy as casting a bunch of brainstorm/ponder/discard and going off when the coast is clear. :)
    Fair enough, I can see why you wouldn't do that because there is always fear to spend two cards with no good returns. That said, it's a combo deck so brainstorming can indeed make you go off and there are points in the game that you should go for it, because it ain't gonna get better in the future.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    Mengucci streamed mono red storm.
    https://youtu.be/MP8iyLSKAi4
    Going to try and watch some of this at lunch today!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Going to try and watch some of this at lunch today!
    His list is a bit weird. 1 desperate and 0 led. It's still a good perspective on why the deck needs to commit at least 4 slots between the 2 of those cards.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

His list is a bit weird. 1 desperate and 0 led. It's still a good perspective on why the deck needs to commit at least 4 slots between the 2 of those cards.
    His list also plays 3 Reforge main, a couple SSG's, 3x Bonus Round, and 2 Overmasters (haha!) I'm curious to see how it goes.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

His list also plays 3 Reforge main, a couple SSG's, 3x Bonus Round, and 2 Overmasters (haha!) I'm curious to see how it goes.
    I can see Overmaster being good, because in the worst case it will draw a card and in the best case you will combo off. You don't have to worry about the one mana when going off because Bonus Round and the rituals will provide that. I'm gonna try a couple. SSG is a weird and wrong in my opinion with Bonus Round now, I rather see a ritual or a LED (because he is playing 4 AoI).

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Bosaapje View Post
    I can see Overmaster being good, because in the worst case it will draw a card and in the best case you will combo off. You don't have to worry about the one mana when going off because Bonus Round and the rituals will provide that. I'm gonna try a couple. SSG is a weird and wrong in my opinion with Bonus Round now, I rather see a ritual or a LED (because he is playing 4 AoI).
    I think with 3x maindeck Reforge he has to play Overmaster, or at the very least Defense Grid, in the maindeck. Feeding opponent's Force of Will's isn't a viable path to winning, regardless of how powerful drawing 7 cards is for you.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I think with 3x maindeck Reforge he has to play Overmaster, or at the very least Defense Grid, in the maindeck. Feeding opponent's Force of Will's isn't a viable path to winning, regardless of how powerful drawing 7 cards is for you.
    that's not true :)

but you should hedge a few cards after sb that can prevent interaction, like defense grid or hope of ghirapur. the opponent can only have so many counters, they will run out. after sb you have to deal with surgical as well, which is the main reason to stop interaction.
    -rob

In the end we will have more Burning Wishes with Past in Flames combined than the opponent will have counterspells so Overmaster is not necessary imo.

after listening to a podcast experimental frenzy seems sweet.

if you get an act on impulse chain going you see a LOT of cards with this one. Also great with LEd for the mana.

The "reforge feeds the opponent fows" idea is a fallacy. What usually happens at least in ur-storm is that your opponent spends the first few turns cantripping to get counters and stops you from going off. Then you miracle a reforge and start over again, but this time you start the game with a juicy graveyard and a few lands in play, perhaps even a ruby medallion. Do you really think you are worse off in this situation than you are at the beginning of the game?
    There are some cases where it might not be a good idea to reforge, if you hardcast it and float zero mana with your landdrop already made and you are facing elves and they have a couple of dudes and a cradle, sure. But being afraid that your opponent might draw fow is not a good argument against reforge.

Thread Information