Page 45 of 98 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

Yea my pile of foil cards is increasing constantly bc of this deck.
    -rob

Fiery Gambit is a fantastic EDH card. Could find room for it in this sb as well. After playing a game on 'trice and being stone cold to a resolved Leo, I'm all in on the Flame slash bandwagon.

When it comes to siding things in, are probes usually your first cut?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

They should be, they also lower your count of relevant cards vs Leovold too.

I think you can shave 2 probes and an LED pretty easily. You can also cut a past in flames as usually there's some grave hate.

Fiery Gambit
    Last edited by mistercakes; 01-19-2018 at 03:45 AM.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

you can also consider mizzium mortars instead of flame slash. it deals the same amount for 1 more (0 more if ruby is out) and you can potentially wrath their board.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    you can also consider mizzium mortars instead of flame slash. it deals the same amount for 1 more (0 more if ruby is out) and you can potentially wrath their board.
    AH SHIT you're right.

Probes and LEDs are usually the first to go. Against blue I might go 2/2. or 3/1 Bring in Defense Grids. Maybe Pyroblast. I don't want to remove ALL leds, but getting fow'ed post led crack is brutal.

I only run 1 past in flames, so I'm not cutting that. Might do a mizzix if I expect the DRS, but then overloaded Mizzix's Mastery is probably the best thing to DO versus a DRS, so usually not. Burning wish can kill DRS if I need to. Usually don't care.

Yea my pile of foil cards is increasing constantly bc of this deck.
    Mine too, I want reforges and AOI's next.

Think i have ONE foil seething song.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I've got all foil :)

Has anyone here tested collective defiance? Was thinking of it possibly as a 2 of in the main. It's terrible with led, but otherwise it provides some modes that are useful and can refresh your hand if necessary.

Would like to test, but wanted to know if anyone already has.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 01-20-2018 at 04:00 AM.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

yep, you don't have to sell me on grid, i've played it more or less since the beginning. i think you should just play a lot vs czech pile and see how it fairs you. flame slash is cool too. i'm thinking for games that i don't have a chance winning and have a burning wish, maybe play a fiery gambit in the sb. you have a 12% chance of drawing 9 cards and untapping your lands, as long as they have a creature in play...which is usually the case when you would be put in such a situation.

i don't like overmaster, it's best point is that it is a cantrip for R. i can see a better argument for running pyro/red blasts though. i'll probably play some of them in the next build, i like that they can counter show and tell as well.
    The best selling point for Overmaster is non-wish sideboard flexibility. I play 3 main that sometimes allow me to resolve a key spell, but usually just cantrips. This is sided out in non-blue matchup for relevant cards like Blood Moon etc. This is a quirky way of building in sideboard slots that I use in a lot of my decks. I think it works especially well with wishboards.

Regarding the goblins plan, I think War Strike is still really strong in the absence of LED because double black mana is harder to achieve.

I wish reforge was better. Nutty good against non-blue, terrible against blue.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i don't know what "non-wish sideboard flexibility is". i don't think i'll be playing any non-led version of the list any time soon. if the version you play works for you that's fine.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

updating primer. looking for matchup analysis and any other info.

-rob
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    The best selling point for Overmaster is non-wish sideboard flexibility. I play 3 main that sometimes allow me to resolve a key spell, but usually just cantrips. This is sided out in non-blue matchup for relevant cards like Blood Moon etc. This is a quirky way of building in sideboard slots that I use in a lot of my decks. I think it works especially well with wishboards.

Regarding the goblins plan, I think War Strike is still really strong in the absence of LED because double black mana is harder to achieve.

I wish reforge was better. Nutty good against non-blue, terrible against blue.
    Defense Grid. Redundancy. Blue matches are my favorite matches. Usually I'm siding out probes and bringing in Grids, because why look at the hand, when I can just stop it.

Terrible in the sense that blue can actually interact with us, where probably every other deck available cannot. And blue usually can't keep up with me at least.

I've got all foil :)

Has anyone here tested collective defiance? Was thinking of it possibly as a 2 of in the main. It's terrible with led, but otherwise it provides some modes that are useful and can refresh your hand if necessary.

Would like to test, but wanted to know if anyone already has.
    I like it, I'm hesitant because I almost always want 7, not 3, but kill DRS mode is very relevant and it has MORE options than Flame Slash at least.

updating primer. looking for matchup analysis and any other info.

-rob
    So far my experience has been:

Bad:
    Belcher, Tes, and other faster decks. Blue decks that also run Discard and Hymn. I HATE Hymn. These decks usually also have the -/- for tokens too. Czech Pile is likely the culprit.
    Plan here is to basically race. I find I can often race, but sometimes need to hail mary it and whiff where other decks may not.

Medium:
    Blue decks that DON'T run discard and Hymn. I HATE Hymn. Burn if you're not careful. Be mindful of Fireblast.
    Plan here is usually just to play around stuff. Flusterstorm hurts this deck WAY less than it hurts other storm decks due to the over abundance of mana we generate.

Good:
    Everything else? Chalice/Thalia/Thorn taxes usually don't matter against Ruby/Helm. We dodge a lot of SB hate that is used for storm usually.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

thanks, i'll try to get some more in-depth matchups instead of generalizing. looking to eventually get this to established decks once we can put up some results in a big tourney.

also if you have such a large issue with hymn decks, you should consider running more past in flames.
    -rob

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

thanks, i'll try to get some more in-depth matchups instead of generalizing. looking to eventually get this to established decks once we can put up some results in a big tourney.

also if you have such a large issue with hymn decks, you should consider running more past in flames.
    Yes.
    Only from looking at the deck I am sure that Hymn to Tourach is not a big problem for it. You guys play three PiFs + BW and AoI become good value engines with Medallion in play.
    I wouldn't want to tap out on turn 2 or 3 to play a Hymn in, let's say, BUG Delver and much rather opt to find Leovold/Clique or simply hold up mana with a DRS in play. That is why I like the
    Bolts because they keep DRS away and the graveyard intact negating the impact of random Hymns; much like old UR Modern storm that was able to win with one card and an active
    Ascension, I see similar potential here.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

usually the same deck with counters and DRS's.

I can also run more Reforge the soul and draw a new 7. It's usually the counter backup and Surgicals that come after the discard spells that wreck me. Hymns are the catalyst though.

edit- I WILL add that the version of the deck i got wrecked MORE by hymns WAS the 3xPIF + 3xRTS version.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

i don't know what "non-wish sideboard flexibility is". i don't think i'll be playing any non-led version of the list any time soon. if the version you play works for you that's fine.
    Slots in the main/side that Don't require BW.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    usually the same deck with counters and DRS's.

I can also run more Reforge the soul and draw a new 7. It's usually the counter backup and Surgicals that come after the discard spells that wreck me. Hymns are the catalyst though.

edit- I WILL add that the version of the deck i got wrecked MORE by hymns WAS the 3xPIF + 3xRTS version.
    what are you running these days?
    -rob

what are you running these days?

2 helm
    3 ruby
    3 ancient tomb
    4 fetches
    6 mountains
    4 led
    4 petal
    4 Act
    4 seething
    4 rite of flame
    4 wish
    2 reforge
    2 mizzix's
    1 PIF
    4 faithless looting
    4 manamoprhose
    4 probe
    1 tendrils

sb

by force
    flame slash
    2 pyroblast
    abrade
    empty
    mizzix
    pif
    slaughter games
    tendrils
    cave in
    reforge
    3 defense grids

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Testing Shreds...really like what it does. It can easily sub in for Pif in a pinch, it's just straight gas. Gamble I feel is no longer necessary, and I cut down to 2 etw to fit in 2 copies.

I looped shreds with aoi and seething song, ended up drawing 6 extra cards with aoi, which fed me a land drop, lotus petal, pif, and burning wish. Really solid tech here, and I think it does an admirable job of replacing Reforge maindeck.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information