Page 79 of 98 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    There's a big difference in playing a blue splash or not. By flipping over so many cards with Act or Commune, I can often over power with mana not needing the 4th RoF in the board. Plus there's LED to help the mana fixing as needed.

Red Storm and Purple Storm feel like very different concepts about threat density versus proactive/reactive interaction. I often play this deck passively until I feel I have the nuts to just win. Small exception if I can parlay a decent Commune (~4/5 cards) to untap with sufficient lands and a ruby the following turn.
    Amethyst Storm for those using the Ruby Storm nomenclature.

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    There's a big difference in playing a blue splash or not. By flipping over so many cards with Act or Commune, I can often over power with mana not needing the 4th RoF in the board. Plus there's LED to help the mana fixing as needed.

Red Storm and Purple Storm feel like very different concepts about threat density versus proactive/reactive interaction. I often play this deck passively until I feel I have the nuts to just win. Small exception if I can parlay a decent Commune (~4/5 cards) to untap with sufficient lands and a ruby the following turn.
    At least in Purple storm i feel like playing passively is great in some matchups, like delver and grixis control, maybe miracles. But vs other combo and creature decks i really like to be able to win before they can play the hate/them winning. How is your combo matchup? It seems like vieko also like to play the more passive game, but he is at least packing 3 Scab-Clan Berserker in his sideboard.
    Also without Reforge and with only one maindeck PiF, don't you have problems vs discard when playing passively?

Not questioning just to question your choices, i'm genuinely interested in other ways to play the deck and hopefully be able to learn things :)

So far this year i'm actually 16-2 in matches, it feels great! Even tho a lot of wins come from pretty good matchups.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

been having a lot of fun with this one.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Helm of Awakening

// 11 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    3 Desperate Ritual

// 13 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Sandstone Needle
    6 Mountain

// 24 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Light up the Stage
    3 Hazoret’s Undying Fury

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Tormod’s Crypt

// 2 Creature
    SB: 2 Guttersnipe

// 3 Instant
    SB: 3 Pyroblast

// 8 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Hazoret’s Undying Fury
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/695861#paper
    (also cheaper than an underground sea or a volcanic island)

if the 13 lands worries you, just run 61 with the last sandstone needle.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think i've been a bit too greedy with the manabase. been goldfishing more and this seems a bit more reasonable.

i played my last list at my weekly and went 2-2.

2-1 white bomerman (i think ruby is favored here)
    1-2 miracles (mulled to oblivion game 1, game 3 i think i probably played too conservatively.
    2-1 loam pox
    0-2 ANT (kept a bad draw game 1 and game 2 i reforged into lands and rituals)

something that kept coming up was always being either mana screwed or close to mana screwed. i think the only way to get around this is to have enough initial red sources.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 3 Creature
    3 Simian Spirit Guide

// 10 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    2 Desperate Ritual

// 14 Land
    3 Ancient Tomb
    7 Mountain
    4 Sandstone Needle

// 21 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Bonus Round
    2 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    2 Light up the Stage

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt

// 5 Creature
    SB: 3 Scab-Clan Berserker

// 8 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Hazoret's Undying Fury

a main benefit of simian spirit guide is that you can more easily run scab-clan berserker. it's up to you if you want to play it, but it can be rather good, especially in the storm/reanimator matchup. because of the spirit guides, you also might consider running some empty the warrens in that spot. it can steal a lot of wins vs the fair decks and more importantly against the delver decks. there's also a chance you want 1 mizzix's mastery. when you have burning wish with bonus round and only R available, it might be able to find you some critical cards in your graveyard. (keep in mind the spells that come out of your graveyard do not get copies, only mizzix's mastery gets copied.
    -rob

Thanks to everyone for all the help and decklists provided. Couldn't test anything yet really, didn't get to play much. But a friendly local player said he has a playset of LEDs and would lend me them for tournaments.

And about Scab-Clan Berseker. Is it really that good vs Reanimator? Seems to me like it wouldn't do that much after they have reanimated a threat? Sorry if this question seems stupid but I am pretty unfamiliar with the format atm. I am working on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    keep in mind the spells that come out of your graveyard do not get copies, only mizzix's mastery gets copied.
    This is not true. Mizzix Mastery allows you to cast the copies and the effect of Bonus rounds triggers for spells cast. The spells that you cast with Mizzix's Mastery do get copied.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Oh if that's true about Mizzix's and bonus round then it gets a lot better.

You still can play Tormod's Crypt (as I do) or run other graveyard hate to actually hate against the grave itself. However playing scab clan on turn 1 really puts reanimator in a very awkward place. If you have a nut draw of Crypt + this guy, I think you're a heavy favorite.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

been tinkering around with the deck (as usual)

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 3 Creature
    3 Simian Spirit Guide

// 11 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    2 Desperate Ritual
    1 Intuition

// 13 Land
    2 Ancient Tomb
    7 Mountain
    4 Sandstone Needle

// 21 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Bonus Round
    3 Light up the Stage
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt

// 4 Creature
    SB: 2 Scab-Clan Berserker

// 9 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    SB: 1 Mizzix's Mastery

found a nice addition. intuition

besides playing a past in flames deck where it already has some value. it can also end step get RoF, which will function as a massive ritual effect the following turn.

what is really interesting here is the ability to work with bonus round:

take this play for example:

seething song + bonus round + manamorphose + intuition -> get RoF, RoF, RoF. for the copy get Burning Wish X3. even without Ruby Medallion the Rite of Flame will still give 8 mana. Then you can cast Burning Wish for any combination of cards to win the game.

I am sold on a singleton, even in a copy where there are no blue lands. I'm not 100% sold on the Hazoret's yet, it might be a lightning bolt or empty the warrens. rest of the deck hasn't been so clunky. i think the blue version can get away with reforge a lot better than the red version, as the miracle is more reliable.

i think the blue version should also play some non-zero number of intuition.
    -rob

Hi, what do you think of the new 'electrodominance' ?

It could be worth testing. Could be wincon, removal or the possibility to play burning wish at instant speed.

With wheel of date you get a two Mana wheel plus two storm.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

It's okay and I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I'd probably rather run bolt if I'm looking for direct damage. The suspend wheel is interesting with it, and would allow for a slightly different deck. I would consider running 4 of that and 4 lotus blossom to help get more payoff but I think it would end up worse.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

-rob

I do think electrodominance have potential. But I think that you need to build around it, probably using wheel, ancestral visions, lotus, and as foretold. I think the end result will be a completely different deck.

I'm taking a small break from the deck. But will probably be back to grinding in a week or two.

I think the same about Electrodominance. If not used to cheat on the suspend cards it costs to much mana imho.

And Intuition is a really great fit for the deck, I am suprised that it wasn't discussed before. But goddamn do I hate the reserved list...

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think there's a good chance mystic retrieval could be played as a singleton over hazoret's.

if you have 1 colorless remaining after bonus round + intuition, you can do the following.

get 3 LED, get mystic retrieval + burning wish + rite of flame.

oppo gives you LED + anything. flashback retrieval leaving R open. get back RoF + Burning Wish. cast both. wish for RoF + Hazoret's. (however if you had something else in your graveyard like a manamorphose you could just get past in flames and then win with that (past in flames, RoF, bonus round, RoF, manamorphose, intuition -> 3x burning wish + 3x + 3x +3x.)

seems good to me? is it better than maindeck hazoret's, not sure.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If Memory Jar were unbanned, would anyone play it in this deck? It's a colorless Reforge the Soul that can be put back into play with Goblin Welder or Trash for Treasure, swapping a Lotus Petal/Ruby Medallion/Helm of Awakening for another 7 cards. It is likely you would draw into another Ruby/Helm or at least enough mana to obviate it.

Just curious, I don't think Memory Jar will be unbanned, but it's an interesting thought experiment. Trash for Treasure could double up as a way to have an alternative win condition like Platinum Emperion or Inkwell Leviathan. Makes Faithless Looting much better in the deck as well.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I would think the deck would look very different if jar was worked in.

Reducers would switch to helm from ruby, there is no artifact recursion in the builds people have been posting, and it doesn't get a doubling effect from bonus round, like the other "draw" spells do, all like you mentioned but could be changed to make it so.

Regarding welder decks, I don't recall what their strategy was. Burn, Storm, or brown stompy are all viable with a t1 welder and jar combo (provided you could loot it somehow as well). But as far as what they accomplished after doing so, no clue. Back then, I THINK it was something like workshops, welder, juggernaut, su-chi, sundering titan, and maybe some of those colosus cards (platinum emperion, etc). Mayeb that was after jar got banned, it was too long ago and too many beers ago to remember!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Jar will never be unbanned. :)
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Jar will never be unbanned. :)
    Because...? I can understand that it was dangerous at one time, but we can all agree it's pathetic in comparison to Griselbrand, Ad Nauseam, and Past in Flames as far as enabling combo decks. It's just a colorless Reforge the Soul that can sometimes be put back into play with something like Trash for Treasure, Goblin Welder, or Second Sunrise.

I mean, what broken things does it do? I can't think of anything that isn't worse than what is already available in the format.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Guys, if we are discussing versions that arent Mono Red, isnt better open a new thread? Because, in my mind, "Ruby storm" is a mono red deck, right?
    Keep Walking, Voidwalker! - Use bugs with moderation -

I've considered writing a primer on UR-storm, and considered starting a new thread, lazyness/lack of time has stopped me, and i have not really felt the need. Is it really needed?
    Regarding the Jar discussion i think that could probably better be discussed in the B/R thread. But Jar is not a colorless reforge. It has 2 big upsides,1) you pay now, but don't have to sacrifice it until next turn when you untapped your lands and 2) your opponent never gets to use the cards in his main phase.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Lammina View Post
    Guys, if we are discussing versions that arent Mono Red, isnt better open a new thread? Because, in my mind, "Ruby storm" is a mono red deck, right?
    i don't think it's that important. the deck ran probes for a huge amount of time. if there's a version with 8 cantrips, then who cares. =P lots of info in the thread and easier to search this way.

(also the name of the thread was changed from mono red storm to ruby storm for these kinds of reasons over a year ago.)
    Last edited by mistercakes; 01-18-2019 at 05:34 AM.
    -rob

Thread Information