Page 82 of 98 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    There are no purple players, only one player. The reason for that seem to mostly be because of either budget reasons or an in my mind irrational dislike of blue. It's a bit unfortunate in my opinion as i (obv) think UR is better and that blue offers more possibility for varying play styles in different matchups. I'm currently ~62% wins this year (almost 150 matches). I'm certain that it can be increased somewhat just by settling which strategies to use in which matchup.
    2 examples of where that has happened
    • I had an revelation a while ago about why the grixis control matchup was so good. Before that revelation i had 24-14, after that revelation i am 13-2, this is without any major changes in the deck.
    • The other example being sneak and show, i realized a while ago that i am _not_ the beatdown in the postboard games. Before that i was 3-6, after that i am 5-0, very small sample size and it's obviously not a 100% matchup but i feel a lot more confident in that matchup now.

Both those changes are directly related to the cantrips, what to keep, what to shuffle away etc.
    It would be awesome with more people playing UR and be able to discuss playstyles instead of just decklists. If only i weren't so lazy i would create my own thread and be more active in promoting the deck :)
    there's valid points here. the reason why i don't play blue is to try and optimize the red list. it has some advantages and i think that while the blue deck has some advantages for consistency, it's likely just a few cards off from being ANT/TES.

there's a few advantages to staying in red (and optionally splashing for intuition)

1) the exile cards are quite strong with LED. many times you can just go for it and there's a good chance you'll get there.
    2) you can run more maindeck empty the warrens, it's not as elegant, but the stupid guys win games.
    3) you're less weak to chalice on 1, a lot less.
    -rob

So I have been messing around with the sideboard as well. I'm not set on the number of copies but I think that post board 2-3-4 copies of Silence can be very strong against a lot of decks. Also having 2 plateau mb allows us to cast these hate cards or wear//tear. Giving us a few outs. We are still dead on the draw to BR reanimator but much stronger against other combo, and even control decks. I have cut the Surgicals and replaced with Silence. I will not be playing in my weekly Tonight but plan on jamming a few games this weekend.

Light Up the Storm:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Act on Impulse
    3 Bonus Round
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Seething Song
    1 Empty the Warrens
    2 Past in Flames
    2 Reforge the Soul
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Helm of Awakening
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Arid Mesa
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    5 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard (15)
    1 Rite of Flame
    4 Silence
    4 Pyroclasm
    2 Wear // Tear
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Tendrils of Agony

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

@ahg113 It's not that i did take you serious on that, so no worries.

@mistercakes i do think that UR-bonus-storm is more different from TES than ANT is from TES. Sometimes it even kinda feels like that mono R vs UR bonus is more different than TES vs ANT.

But there are a lot of advantages to staying mono red, i think you missed one major. Sandstone needle. I've tried to incorporate it with volcanics but it does not work that well when you want to cantrip t1.

It's not that i like blue, i'm totally indifferent to the colors of magic cards. If ponder and brainstorm where green i would run green (hmm, i would miss flusterstorm tho). I know some people really dislike blue but it's hard for me to understand.

I would enjoy if more people played UR as the collective mind is stronger than my own, but i'm not saying _you_ _must_ _play_ _UR_. Legacy is a recreational format and everyone should play what they want. I'm also kind of happy to be the only one casting bonus round on mtgo as it gives me a couple of free wins now and then when my opponents misplay.

@Tall_George be sure to tell us how it goes. Innovation is always good and i think that everything red has to offer has been tested already so splashing a color is a good way to expand the possibilities. I do like wear/tear and silence but 4 pyroclasm feels a bit... over the top, especially as it does not stop one of the worst hatebears scab clan berserker.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Ah yes. Sandstone needle. This card is great!

George, you also may want to consider abeyance in some slots. With bonus round it is 2 cards, but it is possible the additional mana is too much.
    -rob

Fellow Ruby Pilots, as always thank you for the feedback.

I do not see myself casting the silence effect that often once a bonus round has resolved. I think silence is much more stop Omni/reanimator/ant/tes from going off. It can also be used to actually silence/bait my FOW opponent into counter magic they would rather save.

My deck against control is pretty well rounded as I see it. Most everything is must counter. Brainstorm is good, but feels pretty weak against 1R draw 7.If they stop me mid storm, one top deck Reforge, LuTS, AOI can start it back up again. If Mav gets the nuts mom/Teeg, I just scoop. I like the 4 pyro for testing because 1 left in wish G2 gives me access to 7 copies.

I have not seen a single scab-clan resolved against me in paper. The meta here is maybe just too far behind. ;-)

I have also been testing sulfur elemental when I think miracles is going to be more prevalent. (Feels very good when decks are going mom/Thalia/cannonist/prelate. Very bad when they go Mystic/Whitewood/priest) Due to split second, and the fact a lot decks will take out all swords against me. Honestly only one elves player in my local meta and he could beat me piloting a grilled cheese sandwich most days. Guy is just Endboss Level.

I feel like the meta is a lot of other combo right now. If we can't discard them, waste them, or deny them with permission, what is our plan? Get right under them, be more resilient

Silence is pure testing for science. How bad is 4 blanks in the SB? How often does it feel like a blank?

I feel that surgical is cool and all but most games was not as effective as I would like it.

George

Also how did we miss on khorvath's fury. A great wish target as a draw spell in the sideboard. I'm going to test one.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

it looks a little underwhelming but let us know how it goes.
    -rob

Howdy,

Played Saturday 2/23/2018 @ Top Deck Games, NJ, 41 people, 6 rds cut to T8, part of a yearly series between three local stores (Redcap’s Corner & Alternate Universe)

Overall finished with a 4-2 record L-W-W-W-L-W, came in 10th, got the entry fee back in store credit (9th – 16th).

So my buddy gave me a heads up to a local event and I got a chance to play this in paper again. IRL playing this the 2nd time, the 1st being back on 2/3/18, so about a year ago, damn time flies.
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1036186
    The deck has changed a bit since then, no more g. probe, I stopped playing dudes. Add B. Round, LUtS, Commune. Switched the maindeck wincons of EtW and ToA with L. Bolt and Fiery.

Here’s what I played-
    // Legacy - Ruby Storm - Lightning Bonus Stage

// 12 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 12 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    2 Lightning Bolt
    2 Commune with Lava

// 14 Land
    8 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Sandstone Needle

// 22 Sorcery
    1 Past in Flames
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Bonus Round
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Reforge the Soul
    4 Light Up the Stage

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    3 Defense Grid

// 12 Sorcery
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 By Force
    1 Cave-In
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Chain Lightning
    1 Banefire
    1 Bonus Round
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Fiery Confluence

Off the bat, very very happy with LUtS, card is a boss. They took away G. Probe, boooo!, but they gave us LUtS, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    About the SB, I did play Defense Grid, and brought it in during one match-up, where it influenced 1 game, but I still lost it. Trap of keeping a hand with hate, but not full of win. From the sorceries, the Grapeshot, C. Lightning, Tendrils, Empty, Cave-In, B. Round, PiF, and Fiery were wished for. The Banefire wasn’t considered, and the artifact hate wasn’t needed. I like the RftS as a safety blanket, but that wasn’t needed either.

M1 – David (9th) – Sneak’n’Show
    : ( : ( : ( : ( : ( : ( : ( : ( : ( : ( : ( : ( : ( (that’s prolly enough) : (
    Never was competitive, I was rofl-stomped
    G1 – I played, mulled to six I opened with a tomb and ruby. He fetched and got an island- cantrip. Not sure what I did my turn 2, not relevant. His turn 2, show and tells for Omni, I have nothing to put into play, then he plays Griz, activates, I think plays an emmy, but whatever, game is over…
    G2 – I played, I think I played a ruby. He FoW (ponder) on my manamorphose t2. His t3, he got into play a Sneak Attack, and then got out a Griz and an Emmy. I was never in these games.

M2 – Kevin – Slivers
    Karma is so balanced
    G1 – He played, He put a few slivers and an Aether Vial into play. On my turn 3, I storm for a bunch and cast an Empty creating 16 goblins, powered off two sandstones and a mountain, 7 storm were (rite, bolt, BW, AoI, LED, Song*2). Too many little green men. He had a Galerider*2 & Hibernation sliver on board.
    G2 – He played, The critical turn was my t3. I took two off of tomb, unsure for what, but the deck just started to vomit all over itself. I had two mountains and a tomb in play, took notes of playing two manamorphose, B. round, Song, and B.W. It just went bonkers, I asked if he wanted to concede or watch me go through it, he was cool about it, newish to legacy, so I just played it out, but the amount of mana and storm at that point were ridiculous, I could’ve done anything except deck him most likely.
    To his credit, he would’ve had lethal on board to crackback his t4. Said he boarded in chalices and canonists, but didn’t see them.

M3 – Sam (20th) – NicFit Scapeshift
    G1 – I played, mulled to 5, On my turn 2, I took 2 for a Ruby. Didn’t take extensive notes on the chain, but got a t2 kill, with storm over 11, had fuel to keep going. But why bother? Went for broke early, flipped a RtS mid chain off a Commune for 5 – Yahtzee.
    G2 – He played, took damage from V. Explorer a few times, he didn’t want to sac him for value. He took a surgical to remove PiF, and I died the next turn to the scapeshift combo. A turn too slow.
    G3 – I played, This game actually went back and forth, I went for broke making 10 goblins t2, got him to 8, then to 2 playing my misers Fiery Confluence. First took damage when a Huntmaster he played flipped to Ravager, then took 6 with the Ravager, Wolf beats. He went up and down a bit with fetch and Huntmaster flips. This game he cast surgical on B.Wish. Heart of the cards, I was looking at a board state of 2 Wolves, Steve (tribe elder), huntmaster. Off a desperate AoI I flipped another AoI flipping an LED and PiF, my last out. Recast the misers Fiery in the yard to win.
    First two matches didn’t go past 10 minutes, this one took near 40.

M4 – Juan (12th) – U/B Suicide Death’s Shadow
    G1 – I played, he mulled to 6, he took a couple hits from painlands and T.seize (discarded B.W.) What he left in hand was AoI, Morphose, Petal, Song. I had played two needles and a tomb. I storm out on t3, using a drawn B.W. for a PiF to play the discarded one. The storm got ridiculous, who’s playing whom?
    G2 – He played, I took damage twice from tomb. Doesn’t really matter, the discard this time gets there. He took a LUtS with a t.seize, and hurt himself with fetchs and painlands. The nail was put in the coffin when a hymn forced me to discard a song and B. Round. Angler made short work of a deck that doesn’t play chump blockers. I might’ve cast a Fiery to sweep two Shadows out of desperation before the Angler, but nothing matters, whatever.
    G3 – I played, this game went to time. He doesn’t do much himself, but there’s a lot of Wasteland disruption, and three thoughtseizes (Song, B.Wish, B.Wish) In regulation, I cast a t4 RtS from hand. Had two tombs and a mountain compared to his lone Watery Grave. Before that play, he did cast a FoW on a Rite of Flame, didn’t write down what the play would have been. When we get to turns, his t0, he cycles SWraith and drops to 6. Just in Time (my FAVORITE Inventory control system), my t4 in turns, I have two tombs, a mountain, 2 LED, and use LUTS and Commune to churn through cards to get there.

M5 – Jeremy (5th*) – U/R Burn
    G1 – He played, he mulled to ?, Taking typical beats from burn, S.Spear, C.Lightning. Early in the game I go for a storm chain, but it begins to fizzle, not enough juice, so I do some board control, B. Wish for grapeshot, storm at 11, 3 each at the spears, 6 to him. Start to tilt about just going for it, decide to do it. B.Round into LUtS, found LED, another B.Round, and Fiery. Lived the dream, Double Bonus Confluence, was my turn 4 or 5, was likely dead next or turn after.
    G2 – He played, only damage he takes is from fetching volc’s. I die on t6, or t7, taking beats from pteramander, a tomb, and a smash to smithereens. This is a do nothing game for me.
    G3 – I played , mulled to 5, Again, a do nothing game for me. He takes a point from fetching, but I succumb to delver, spear ptera beats. Whomp whomp.
    *after Swiss, didn’t stay to see conclusion, ride wanted to jet

M6 – Dave (17th) – Death & Taxes
    (We start with a pleasant reacquaintance. We’re both fathers of toddlers and enjoy some banter about giving our kids cards and looking forward to teaching our kids the game. He’s a good dude, has a good beard.)
    G1 – He played, This game wasn’t super competitive. He didn’t waste anything, didn’t have a Thalia. Don’t remember how, or why the deck worked so well, but my chicken scratch says “needle power -> t4” So turn 4 was the critical turn, had the needle (sac’d) two mountains and a ruby in play, didn’t use the t4 land drop. Storm count was for as large as I wanted, tendrils kill, had over 20 mana in the pool floating, and there were 8 cards I “didn’t draw”, because it didn’t matter (I wouldn’t have decked myself, I was lazy and shortcutting). The star? Double Bonus Round, ftw.
    G2 – He played, I mulled to 6, Oh how I punted so hard in this game. 1st punt was to not kill Thalia his t2. I had the mana and L.Bolt in hand, and thought, what if I want to kill something else later? I had already played a ruby. Then his t3 the land drop was a Karakas, damn. Then I just take beats, I tap A.tomb to pay for the Thalia tax, completely forgetting I have a ruby, the two damage don’t matter though. He casts a Relic Warder to snatch the ruby, and I just die to simple beats, slowly.
    G3 – I played, yep, sometimes math is dumb, sometimes you just have to count to turn 2. I play a tomb my first turn, and on my second I storm for 12 goblins. He surgicals a bolt while I’m storming, which only gives me an extra 2 dudes. His turn 2, he would’ve played a canonist in his hand, but he never got a chance. No guts, no glory.

The deck felt really good. There was a lot of dumb explosive plays and just feeding off each other. I still swear by Commune with Lava, especially in the builds with LED. Being able to flip all these cards into exile, instead of drawing is just amazing. There were a few AoIs that were chaff’esque. But I have no problem skimming lands from the top of the deck, and if not prohibitive, would cast the cards from exile to put them in the yard instead of removed. LUtS and Commune, those cards almost always got me to winning the game, especially if I’m untapping with an extra 4+ cards.

I avoided blue so well today. U/R Burn and U/B Shadow were the only ones. Maybe I wasn’t good enough to play against the Miracle players, but I don’t mind. For sauce, this and an As Foretold/Electrodominance deck (3-3) got the most people talking.

Keep jamming, Ruby Storm!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

sounds like a nice report. unfortunately there isn't too much we can do about sneak and show (it's just a terrible matchup.)

losing to UR delver can also be annoying, nice job though! and nice report!
    -rob

I played my first, and probably last MTGO challenge today (takes to much time).

Warning blue haters, there will be mentions of cantrips! Here is a quick recap

Match 1 - DnT (last weeks runner up), lost die roll
    G1) He plays t1 mom, t2 stoneforge mystic
    I play t1 brainstorm eot into an t2 kill of ruby medallion Rof Seething song bonus round wish for hazorets
    G2) I mull to 6
    He starts vial go, i go land petal, he then casts aethersworn canonist. I almost throw this game away as i think i need to kill canonist before he probably vials in mother of runes and think about playing seething song -> fiery confluence... not a good play with a canonist in play. Instead i brainstorm and he eot vials in mom. His turn he plays flickerwisp and on my turn i play confluence, killing vial mom and flickerwisp leaving him with canonist. He has double port at this time, but i manage to sneak in a ruby medallion when he jams batterskull and a turn later eot echoing truth on canonist and then win on my turn (through double port). had 2 mana left and a ruby, played seething bonus -> burning for rite and hazoret.

Match 2 - Moon stompy lost die again.
    G1) He goes t1 rabblemaster, t2 trinisphere, rough!
    I go land petal,and keep doing landdrops until my third turn (he has no turn 3 play) and facing lethal with a trinisphere on the table... I simply cast seething song, bonus round, rite of flame, 2 x manamorphose which chains into another bonus round and manamorphose and a seething song. Had burning wish the whole game so just wish for Fiery confluence for the win.
    G2) I mull to 5 and keep Wish, SSG, Desperate, RoF, Tomb, scry.... sees bonus round!
    He goes mountain petal chalice for zero , i guess he had scabclan in hand for t2. As i have a deterministic turn 1 kill i win.

Match 3 - Burn, lost the die
    G1) he goes t1 goblin guide, t2 stuck on 1 land and plays rift bolt
    I go t1 ponder and play 2 lotus petal. T2 i play Tomb, and brainstorm into a nice kill
    RoF - Splice Desperate ritual, intuition for 1x rof 1x manamorphose 1x pif. My last card in hand is burning wish, and i manage to get exactly 19 storm from just cantripping and ritualing. So i wish for grapeshot and win.
    G2) I throw this one away, i have abrade from start, so i dont fear his t2 eidolon that much. I get in a situation where i could probably go off on turn 3,but as the only thing that damaged me sofar is one eidolon hit i just play ruby medallion to cast my eot reforge i set up on t1. 16 life cant go so quickly i think. He hits me with eidolon, plays PoP and the 4damage spell. 6 life, i abrade eidolon (why not before combat?!?) 4 life, manamorphose reforge and he draws the fireblast.
    G3) i just kill him turn 2 (Tomb Seething song bonus round manamorphose into ponder)

3-0!

Match 4 - Miracles, lost the die
    G1) I keep a okayish hand that lacks cantrips. I never draw any cantrips and by turn 5 all i have drawn is lands, lotus petals and bonus rounds. I do have so much initial mana so my plan becomes playing 2 bonus rounds and then rof into a reforge. But he has sculpted his hand for 5 turns so nothing resolves and he plays back to basics on his turn.
    G2) I felt defeated before the game begun. I kept a hand with 4 land, 2 ruby medallion and a RoF. In hindsight i don't see any reason for keeping this as i had boarded out all 4 reforge. I needed to string together a lot of good draws, or at least any cantrips. This does not happen before he lands counterbalance and jace.

Annoying match, as i have a pretty good % against miracles usually, but those two games felt mostly like i did not do anything at all.

Match 5 - Moon stompy, lost the die roll (5th in a row!?)
    G1) Still tilted i keep another bad hand with Tomb as my only land and a lotus petal, but not really anything to do with them besides a Reforge. Good for me he starts with magus of the moon so i at least have a permanent red source :) I RoF out a ruby medallion and play petal. He has no play t2 (thanks to his own magus) and i top deck desperate ritual so i can cast reforge into the win from a land, a desperate ritual a bonus round and 2x manamorphose.
    G2) I mull to 5, he plays leyline and chalice for one, sad as i had a ponder. A trinisphere follows and as i am stuck on 1 land it feels rough. I manage to find a ancient tomb, and decide to abrade the chalice, my opponent is stuck on 2 mana, and if i could draw another mana source from my ponder i could win the following turn. I ponder and get what i need to win, my opponent gets his third mana and slams scab-clan :(, Lost the game.
    G3) I mull to 6, the rite of flames look good in my hand for t2 but his curve is
    t1: Chalice for 1
    t2: Chalice for 2
    t3: Scab-clan
    I never find Fiery Confluence and die quickly.

3-2

Match 6 vs some depthsdeck, and, you guessed it! Lost the die roll
    G1) My t1 brainstorm sets me up for a t2 eot Reforge off volcanic - tomb manamorphose, i respond to the reforge with brainstom to put back a ritual and a burning wish and win easily on my turn.
    G2) He goes full turbo depths while i play it slowly. I neaaaarly lost this game because i f6ed to end my turn and he esgd and made a marit lage token, while he is in his mainphase i realize that i have no stop other than eot, but quickly manage to set one so i could echoing truth marit lage and then untap and win.

Match 7, UR Delver. I LOST THE DIE ROLL.
    G1) He plays t1 delver, i play tomb petal go, he bolts me and attack with delver. I untap, play volcanic, ponder into another RoF and play 2 -> bonus round -> manamorphose into the two cards of ponder which win me the game.
    G2) I mull to 6 and get stuck on 1 land, rofs out a ruby, but multiple dazes stop me from doing anything while the t1 delver kills me.
    G3) Long interesting game. I play ruby t1. T2 i cast RoF, burning wish, hoping he would daze my burning wish to stop goblins as i have a seething song in hand. He does not daze, i could now play seething and another ruby to go for 10 goblins, but as he does not seem scared of goblins i decided to just make 6, he dazes one of them so it's only 4. Next turn i ponder to find a bonus round and a manamorphose but still stuck on 1 red mana so have to pass. He Forked bolted 2 of my goblins and flip a delver. I try to go for it but he fows my seething song. Next turn he bolts me, i respond with abrade on his delver. He plays Pteramander. I draws the ritual i need and win from there.

5-2 Ended up 16th place with only one 5-2 making top 8. 122 players total.

Decklist can be found at https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2019-03-11

Deck felt good, SSG was not _that_ good, but still OK. 3x flusterstorm in the sideboard was not needed this time, but i'm reluctant to go down to 2 as they are really good vs other combo and grixis. I would actually want to fit another fiery confluence in, and i miss hope of ghirapur. The only cards that sometimes make me feel like "noooo not this now" is burning wish, bonus round and Reforge the soul. Still don't think i would like to go down to three of any of them. I only wish i could play 6-7 brainstorm to shuffle away unwanted duplicates more often.

I felt i got pretty good draws overall, probably slightly above average, but losing 7 of 7 die rolls felt insane.

: P

Kudos on the good showing.

Match 1 - DnT (last weeks runner up), lost die roll
    G1) He plays t1 mom, t2 stoneforge mystic
    I play t1 brainstorm eot into an t2 kill of ruby medallion Rof Seething song bonus round wish for hazorets
    G2) I mull to 6
    He starts vial go, i go land petal, he then casts aethersworn canonist. I almost throw this game away as i think i need to kill canonist before he probably vials in mother of runes and think about playing seething song -> fiery confluence... not a good play with a canonist in play. Instead i brainstorm and he eot vials in mom. His turn he plays flickerwisp and on my turn i play confluence, killing vial mom and flickerwisp leaving him with canonist. He has double port at this time, but i manage to sneak in a ruby medallion when he jams batterskull and a turn later eot echoing truth on canonist and then win on my turn (through double port). had 2 mana left and a ruby, played seething bonus -> burning for rite and hazoret.

Match 2 - Moon stompy lost die again.
    G1) He goes t1 rabblemaster, t2 trinisphere, rough!
    I go land petal,and keep doing landdrops until my third turn (he has no turn 3 play) and facing lethal with a trinisphere on the table... I simply cast seething song, bonus round, rite of flame, 2 x manamorphose which chains into another bonus round and manamorphose and a seething song. Had burning wish the whole game so just wish for Fiery confluence for the win.
    G2) I mull to 5 and keep Wish, SSG, Desperate, RoF, Tomb, scry.... sees bonus round!
    He goes mountain petal chalice for zero , i guess he had scabclan in hand for t2. As i have a deterministic turn 1 kill i win.

Match 3 - Burn, lost the die
    G1) he goes t1 goblin guide, t2 stuck on 1 land and plays rift bolt
    I go t1 ponder and play 2 lotus petal. T2 i play Tomb, and brainstorm into a nice kill
    RoF - Splice Desperate ritual, intuition for 1x rof 1x manamorphose 1x pif. My last card in hand is burning wish, and i manage to get exactly 19 storm from just cantripping and ritualing. So i wish for grapeshot and win.
    G2) I throw this one away, i have abrade from start, so i dont fear his t2 eidolon that much. I get in a situation where i could probably go off on turn 3,but as the only thing that damaged me sofar is one eidolon hit i just play ruby medallion to cast my eot reforge i set up on t1. 16 life cant go so quickly i think. He hits me with eidolon, plays PoP and the 4damage spell. 6 life, i abrade eidolon (why not before combat?!?) 4 life, manamorphose reforge and he draws the fireblast.
    G3) i just kill him turn 2 (Tomb Seething song bonus round manamorphose into ponder)

3-0!

Match 4 - Miracles, lost the die
    G1) I keep a okayish hand that lacks cantrips. I never draw any cantrips and by turn 5 all i have drawn is lands, lotus petals and bonus rounds. I do have so much initial mana so my plan becomes playing 2 bonus rounds and then rof into a reforge. But he has sculpted his hand for 5 turns so nothing resolves and he plays back to basics on his turn.
    G2) I felt defeated before the game begun. I kept a hand with 4 land, 2 ruby medallion and a RoF. In hindsight i don't see any reason for keeping this as i had boarded out all 4 reforge. I needed to string together a lot of good draws, or at least any cantrips. This does not happen before he lands counterbalance and jace.

Annoying match, as i have a pretty good % against miracles usually, but those two games felt mostly like i did not do anything at all.

Match 5 - Moon stompy, lost the die roll (5th in a row!?)
    G1) Still tilted i keep another bad hand with Tomb as my only land and a lotus petal, but not really anything to do with them besides a Reforge. Good for me he starts with magus of the moon so i at least have a permanent red source :) I RoF out a ruby medallion and play petal. He has no play t2 (thanks to his own magus) and i top deck desperate ritual so i can cast reforge into the win from a land, a desperate ritual a bonus round and 2x manamorphose.
    G2) I mull to 5, he plays leyline and chalice for one, sad as i had a ponder. A trinisphere follows and as i am stuck on 1 land it feels rough. I manage to find a ancient tomb, and decide to abrade the chalice, my opponent is stuck on 2 mana, and if i could draw another mana source from my ponder i could win the following turn. I ponder and get what i need to win, my opponent gets his third mana and slams scab-clan :(, Lost the game.
    G3) I mull to 6, the rite of flames look good in my hand for t2 but his curve is
    t1: Chalice for 1
    t2: Chalice for 2
    t3: Scab-clan
    I never find Fiery Confluence and die quickly.

3-2

Match 6 vs some depthsdeck, and, you guessed it! Lost the die roll
    G1) My t1 brainstorm sets me up for a t2 eot Reforge off volcanic - tomb manamorphose, i respond to the reforge with brainstom to put back a ritual and a burning wish and win easily on my turn.
    G2) He goes full turbo depths while i play it slowly. I neaaaarly lost this game because i f6ed to end my turn and he esgd and made a marit lage token, while he is in his mainphase i realize that i have no stop other than eot, but quickly manage to set one so i could echoing truth marit lage and then untap and win.

Match 7, UR Delver. I LOST THE DIE ROLL.
    G1) He plays t1 delver, i play tomb petal go, he bolts me and attack with delver. I untap, play volcanic, ponder into another RoF and play 2 -> bonus round -> manamorphose into the two cards of ponder which win me the game.
    G2) I mull to 6 and get stuck on 1 land, rofs out a ruby, but multiple dazes stop me from doing anything while the t1 delver kills me.
    G3) Long interesting game. I play ruby t1. T2 i cast RoF, burning wish, hoping he would daze my burning wish to stop goblins as i have a seething song in hand. He does not daze, i could now play seething and another ruby to go for 10 goblins, but as he does not seem scared of goblins i decided to just make 6, he dazes one of them so it's only 4. Next turn i ponder to find a bonus round and a manamorphose but still stuck on 1 red mana so have to pass. He Forked bolted 2 of my goblins and flip a delver. I try to go for it but he fows my seething song. Next turn he bolts me, i respond with abrade on his delver. He plays Pteramander. I draws the ritual i need and win from there.

5-2 Ended up 16th place with only one 5-2 making top 8. 122 players total.

Decklist can be found at https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2019-03-11

Deck felt good, SSG was not _that_ good, but still OK. 3x flusterstorm in the sideboard was not needed this time, but i'm reluctant to go down to 2 as they are really good vs other combo and grixis. I would actually want to fit another fiery confluence in, and i miss hope of ghirapur. The only cards that sometimes make me feel like "noooo not this now" is burning wish, bonus round and Reforge the soul. Still don't think i would like to go down to three of any of them. I only wish i could play 6-7 brainstorm to shuffle away unwanted duplicates more often.

I felt i got pretty good draws overall, probably slightly above average, but losing 7 of 7 die rolls felt insane.
    Nice report!

One question: how did you win the match 2, game 2, in T1? I couldnt figure out... Im new with the deck...
    Keep Walking, Voidwalker! - Use bugs with moderation -

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Lammina View Post
    Nice report!

One question: how did you win the match 2, game 2, in T1? I couldnt figure out... Im new with the deck...

looks like.

tomb + SSG + desperate = RRR1. cast bonus round. cast RoF (RRRR). cast wish. get RoF + Hazoret's Undying Fury. (my guess is that this more or less is deterministic for josef)
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    (my guess is that this more or less is deterministic for josef)
    Yeah, it's a misuse of the term deterministic, i mean it could fizzle. It just never happened once in probably 100 times. I have ~20 live draws from a deck of 54 cards and will see 8 cards. If i can lose 7 die rolls in a row i could probably fizzle a bonusrounded hazoret. But until it happens i just treat it like it's deterministic :)

looks like.

tomb + SSG + desperate = RRR1. cast bonus round. cast RoF (RRRR). cast wish. get RoF + Hazoret's Undying Fury. (my guess is that this more or less is deterministic for josef)
    Ty for the explanation! I dont thought in catch Hazoret... Nice!
    Keep Walking, Voidwalker! - Use bugs with moderation -

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

went to a weekly in london and met a few guys off of here.

had a nice time!

r1: nicfit
    g1: fortunately not much interaction. i started with sandstone needle t1. t2 i cast RoF just to cast LuTS. turn 3 i won.
    g2: opening hand of 3 lotus petal + bonus round + manamorphose + act on impulse + ancient tomb. (turn 1 win, he had turn 0 leyline but it didn't matter.)

r2: infect
    g1: he mulled to 4, but his scry on top was a tropical island. he double pondered and killed me after countering my only spell.
    g2: i brought in an ensnaring bridge. i cast it, he let it resolve. then he asked to take back and i was feeling nice. i put it in my graveyard. died shortly after.
    (we played a bunch for fun and he beat me pretty much every time, so i don't have high hopes for this matchup, at least in the configuration without maindeck lightning bolts.)

r3: enchantress
    g1: i can't recall that much, but i had a string of spells to kill within first 3 turns.
    g2: he had out a turn 3 gaddock teeg. i played turn 3 guttersnipe. on his turn 4 he didn't have anything eventful. on my turn 4 i had 3 lands so i cast, desperate ritual bonus round, luts (for R) and flipped more luts, cast LED from hand and deal 20 pretty easily.

r4: jeskai ascendancy deck
    g1: he forces bonus round, and i have a luts that lands a string of spells into a burning wish led tendrils.
    g2: he has 3 forces and 2 flusterstorm, i run out of gas.
    g3: guttersnipe almost gets there, but i am short a mana. i also stupidly burning wished mainphase and grabbed empty when i should have grabbed a RoF. pretty sure guttersnipe would have been lethal at that point as he survived at 4 life and i had a PiF in the graveyard.

overall had a fun time.

list can be found here:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/695861#paper

intuition was pretty good. i think the deck was honestly fine, but i can see a good argument for running maindeck bolts or maindeck empty the warrens.
    -rob

I decided to give the list a try(some small modifications in the sideboard and among the lands) in a league to get a feel for LutS, will see how it goes. So far i'm 1-0 after a quick 2-0 game vs ANT where he got a bit unlucky with two turn 2 ad nauseam -> pass the turn so i could grapeshot for 3/5 pretty easy. Not cast LutS so far, but sandstone needle and LED feel as great as always. Will see when i will be able to continue the league.

went to a weekly in london and met a few guys off of here.

had a nice time!

r1: nicfit
    g1: fortunately not much interaction. i started with sandstone needle t1. t2 i cast RoF just to cast LuTS. turn 3 i won.
    g2: opening hand of 3 lotus petal + bonus round + manamorphose + act on impulse + ancient tomb. (turn 1 win, he had turn 0 leyline but it didn't matter.)

r2: infect
    g1: he mulled to 4, but his scry on top was a tropical island. he double pondered and killed me after countering my only spell.
    g2: i brought in an ensnaring bridge. i cast it, he let it resolve. then he asked to take back and i was feeling nice. i put it in my graveyard. died shortly after.
    (we played a bunch for fun and he beat me pretty much every time, so i don't have high hopes for this matchup, at least in the configuration without maindeck lightning bolts.)

r3: enchantress
    g1: i can't recall that much, but i had a string of spells to kill within first 3 turns.
    g2: he had out a turn 3 gaddock teeg. i played turn 3 guttersnipe. on his turn 4 he didn't have anything eventful. on my turn 4 i had 3 lands so i cast, desperate ritual bonus round, luts (for R) and flipped more luts, cast LED from hand and deal 20 pretty easily.

r4: jeskai ascendancy deck
    g1: he forces bonus round, and i have a luts that lands a string of spells into a burning wish led tendrils.
    g2: he has 3 forces and 2 flusterstorm, i run out of gas.
    g3: guttersnipe almost gets there, but i am short a mana. i also stupidly burning wished mainphase and grabbed empty when i should have grabbed a RoF. pretty sure guttersnipe would have been lethal at that point as he survived at 4 life and i had a PiF in the graveyard.

overall had a fun time.

list can be found here:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/695861#paper

intuition was pretty good. i think the deck was honestly fine, but i can see a good argument for running maindeck bolts or maindeck empty the warrens.
    It was nice meeting you! Hope you had fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

it was fun :)

hope to come back.
    -rob

Ok, league report with mistercakes latest list.

I did not feel like buying an expensive ensnaring bridge online, so i switched it for hope of ghirapur because i miss playing with it :)

Match 1, ANT, lost die roll.
    As i said in my last post, these where 2 quick games.
    G1) he discards a burning wish from my hand t1 and i land a needle t1.
    T2 he discards a seething song and goes for ad nauseaum, drawing looots of good stuff but no petal. He goes to three. I untap, draw burning wish, play rof lotus petal wish for grapeshot and win.
    G2) he cantrips t1, goes for ad nauseam t2, draw looots of good stuff but no petal. Goes to 5 life.
    I once again have a t1 needle, into t2 seething song, AoI which gives me LED, Ruby medallion and burning wish. Ez win.

1-0

Match 2 vs Grixis delver win die roll
    G1) he has alot of threats, but no interaction at all, i land a t3 ruby and win t4 with grapeshot after a pif and lots of exile spells
    G2) I keep a wish for goblins hand that gets destroyed by a t1 discard spell and i never recover
    G3) I start with needle which gets wastelanded, t2 i RoF out a ruby, no more mana in hand so it felt hard winning from there. He cantrips t2 and t3 but lands no threat. T3 i draw land, On my t4 i draw a manamorphose, cast it, draws led, having PiF in hand, i think about it for awhile but decides that this is my best shot, certain that he would pierce/fluster/daze/fow anything. He has nothing and i get to resolve bonus round from my yard and win easily.

2-0!

Match 3 vs dnt, win die roll
    G1) I tomb out a ruby t1, play a ruby t2, manamorphose, rof, wish for rof, rof, wish for goblins (something like that, its 14 goblins t2) He cant recover.
    G2) He plays t2 canonist, i abrade it endstep, i have to decide on my turn if i should wait for something good or go for 10 goblins. As my only removal spell is already used i was a bit afraid of a thalia follow up so i go for 10 goblins, but he resolves a mother of runes and a jitte and win the race.
    G3) He waste my t1 needle, i have nothing to do on t2 and t3, but he has neither thalia or canonist so on t4 i get a regular bonus round kill.

3-0

Match 4 vs sneak n show (i think, had personal tutors and a sneak attack) win the die roll
    G1) I mulligan by accident a great hand. But mulligan into an insane hand. Unfortunately he has fow fluster spell pierce and then sneakattacks in an emrakul.
    G2) I play needle and win t2 of a ruby, manamorphose seething song 2x AoI and see leds and wishes. He had no interaction
    G3) He seems to make the mistake of thinking that leyline of sanctity is good. He has one t1 then seems stuck on 1 land and does not play anything. 8x Fiery confluence kill him.

4-0
    Im going for the 5-0!

Match 5 vs burn, won the die roll
    G1) have a great hand with needle tomb and ruby + luts and manamorphose. My t2 luts fizzle hard and he lands eidolon, i try to go for it but a fireblast kills me when i almost have enough for the "survive tendrils"
    G2) I get to do 18 goblins t2 thanks to 3 LED. He had 19 life so i was thinking about going for tendrils instead, but he scoops to the 18 goblins.
    G3) T2 pyrostatic pillar, no outs although i do try getting to tendrils flashback tendrils on t3, but fail.

4-1

Last time i played cantripless bonus round storm i got my only 0-5 league, so this definitely felt better :)
    Overall i like the deck. It felt alot easier to play, but still some hard choices. Mostly regarding to plays like, "should i play seething song AoI this turn?, or wait to atleast get a land drop of it next turn". LutS is a lot more straight forward, cast it ASAP, cast it often, seems to be a good plan.

I never cast intuition once, had it some times but did not need it, boarded it out a lot. I never cast mizzix mastery or wished for bonus round. Boarded in guttersnipes some games but it never mattered. Never spectacled LutS, although it think LutS is a straight upgrade to AoI. Just to cast it as a t2 setup spell is great. The 2 absolute all stars for me is sandstone needle and LED, but i still don't think LED is playable without the exile spells, and it really sucks when you use sandstone needle t2 to cast ruby medallion, and then try to go off t3 and get stopped that you lose the needle.

I will play the deck at least one more league, but i will probably make some small changes, probably cut 1/2 intuition and maybe a bonus round for something(possibly Pif #3, card is insane) and make room in the board for 3-4 echoing truth and possibly flusterstorm/Pyroblast

I do think it's correct to not run reforge the soul if you don't run cantrips. In my version i would say that 50% of the time i cast it by setting it up with cantrips, 25% natural miracle, and the rest is hardcast. This deck does not need the effect as much as it already has more raw card draw.

Thread Information