Page 37 of 98 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

I was talking about the Vengeance card.

It's not inherently a Past in Flames deck. Well it is, because we play it, BUT the amount of wins I get off just wheeling/drawing a ton of storm is more than the wins I get off Past in Flames.

The deck has the ability to do "Spanish Inquisition Draw 4" very well. Though it's draw 3.

My thoughts with Dangerous Wager are that instant speed allows responses to your own spells, ability to crack LED rather easily, and the lack of "additional cost discard" makes it more viable than Tormenting Voice when coupled with Act on Impulse and LED.

Of course it's also a very bad card, so we'll see. I'll goldfish first. Won't have a chance to play til next week regardless, and I want to play The Mimeoplasm Oops All Spells list.

I agree boarded guttersnipes add something, but I like the idea of still blanking removal regardless. Even post board, stuff like Abrupt Decay still float around.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I'm convinced some nonzero guttersnipe is absolutely fine in maindeck.

It's a lot better than empty maindeck.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I'm convinced some nonzero guttersnipe is absolutely fine in maindeck.

It's a lot better than empty maindeck.
    The small victories... the small victories ;)

I've been playing this deck a lot on Xmage and having a lot of fun and success with it, using Mr. Safety's list:

4x Ruby Medallion
    1x Helm of Awakening

4x Rite of Flame
    4x Seething Song
    4x Lotus Petal
    1x Simian Spirit Guide
    1x Desperate Ritual

4x Gitaxian Probe
    3x Overmaster
    4x Act on Impulse
    4x Manamorphose

3x Past in Flames
    1x Hazoret’s Undying Fury
    1x Gamble

4x Burning Wish
    3x Empty the Warrens

10x Mountain
    4x Crystal Vein

Sideboard

1x Past in Flames
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Cave-In
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    1x By Force
    1x Reforge the Soul
    2x Blood Moon
    2x Guttersnipe
    1x Tormod’s Crypt
    2x Scab-Clan Berserker
    1x Ensnaring Bridge

One of the deck's greatest strengths over other storm decks is that it has a good ability to grind when facing disruption. For example I've won through multiple chalices + Trinisphere by getting By Force from the board, and could have killed a Reanimator player who was at 2 life after drawing Burning Wish and wishing for Cave-In and casting it by exiling a card.
    It will be fun to see how this deck evolves.

I currently am on the 4 Ruby + 2 Helm build and my list contains 1 Desperate Ritual. The Desperate Ritual is sided out every game that I side anything in...

My questions is: Thoughts on putting in 2 Lion's Eye Diamonds, taking out the ritual and a helm or the ritual and something, or if I go LED build do I have to fully commit to a playset?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

You don't have to commit to anything. It's like asking if you have to commit to playing 4 LED in ANT. You don't, but it's strictly worse.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by HeroBean View Post
    I've been playing this deck a lot on Xmage and having a lot of fun and success with it, using Mr. Safety's list:

4x Ruby Medallion
    1x Helm of Awakening

4x Rite of Flame
    4x Seething Song
    4x Lotus Petal
    1x Simian Spirit Guide
    1x Desperate Ritual

4x Gitaxian Probe
    3x Overmaster
    4x Act on Impulse
    4x Manamorphose

3x Past in Flames
    1x Hazoret’s Undying Fury
    1x Gamble

4x Burning Wish
    3x Empty the Warrens

10x Mountain
    4x Crystal Vein

Sideboard

1x Past in Flames
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Cave-In
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    1x By Force
    1x Reforge the Soul
    2x Blood Moon
    2x Guttersnipe
    1x Tormod’s Crypt
    2x Scab-Clan Berserker
    1x Ensnaring Bridge

One of the deck's greatest strengths over other storm decks is that it has a good ability to grind when facing disruption. For example I've won through multiple chalices + Trinisphere by getting By Force from the board, and could have killed a Reanimator player who was at 2 life after drawing Burning Wish and wishing for Cave-In and casting it by exiling a card.
    It will be fun to see how this deck evolves.
    I have really fell in love with Empty the Warrens again. So many games I've stolen with a fast 12 goblins. A quick note on my list: I've gone back to including a Goblin War Strike in the sideboard, because there has been many games where I get both EtW and Burning Wish in my hand with enough mana to play both. I cut a Guttersnipe for it, but you could make any sort of meta-game decision for it.

I've also cut to only 3x Crystal Vein, but that is just a test. I may go back to 4 at some point. I am also trying to get 2x Ancient Tomb to supplement it, because 1-land hands where it's only a Vein can be really sketchy, basically an auto-mulligan unless I have SSG in hand.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I have really fell in love with Empty the Warrens again. So many games I've stolen with a fast 12 goblins. A quick note on my list: I've gone back to including a Goblin War Strike in the sideboard, because there has been many games where I get both EtW and Burning Wish in my hand with enough mana to play both. I cut a Guttersnipe for it, but you could make any sort of meta-game decision for it.
    I really like empty as a win-con. Sure, tendrils gets it done on the spot, but Empty the Warrens along with the Goblin War Strike is great. Together, or separately, they have both gotten it done for me.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I've said this a bunch of times, but I think it bears repeating: LED is the difference. LED allows for much easier Tendrils wins, without it I think leaning on EtW seems more realistic. We can still get Lotus Petals/Manamorphose to feed a Tendrils win but we also naturally draw EtW a bunch, letting our BW's get War Strike FTW (or Past in Flames because we already have a win-con in hand.)

If I had LED's I'd play that version, but without them I'm still having fun making tons of Gobbos.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I've said this a bunch of times, but I think it bears repeating: LED is the difference. LED allows for much easier Tendrils wins, without it I think leaning on EtW seems more realistic. We can still get Lotus Petals/Manamorphose to feed a Tendrils win but we also naturally draw EtW a bunch, letting our BW's get War Strike FTW (or Past in Flames because we already have a win-con in hand.)

If I had LED's I'd play that version, but without them I'm still having fun making tons of Gobbos.
    This is why I asked the question if its worth it to play less than the full playset of LED a few posts back. I own 2 currently in paper, don't really want to get the other 2 right now. I am testing on xmage with 2 LED and 2 Empty the Warrens main deck. So, maybe what I should have asked before is am I watering down either build by going half way or do you guys think its still an improvement?

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

I played this deck to a 3-1 finish tonight and I really enjoyed myself. Just curious, has anyone tried Pyromancer Ascension or Ignite Memories?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by mkalevv View Post
    This is why I asked the question if its worth it to play less than the full playset of LED a few posts back. I own 2 currently in paper, don't really want to get the other 2 right now. I am testing on xmage with 2 LED and 2 Empty the Warrens main deck. So, maybe what I should have asked before is am I watering down either build by going half way or do you guys think its still an improvement?
    Still an improvement I think. Are you maxing out on Act on Impulse? Very good card with LED (because the cards 'drawn' aren't in hand to discard.) I think if you only have 2 LED's then I would consider more copies of Gamble as the substitute, simply because the restrictive nature of LED makes it more reliant on Past in Flames, and Gamble is excellent at being extra copies of PiF. The mana boost helps offset the extra man needed from using the flashback alternative cost. I would play 2 copies of Gamble, your 2 LED's, and then maybe add another SSG. Then once you get your other 2 LEDs those can naturally get cut.

Just some thoughts...I don't have experience with the LED version.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

empty is better in metagames where people aren't prepared for it. sounds obvious, but maybe isn't. cards that deal with tokens or TNN are quite capable of dealing with empty. also decks that are able to ignore it might also make empty a bit invalid. (show and tell, lands, reanimator, storm)

to answer the other question, ascension was tried, but tends to be a bit slower and a bit of a win more. ignite memories is cool, but you aren't going to deal enough damage. it also is damage instead of life loss, so i'm not sure it's worth the extra sb slot.

if you can get 2 led's, this is better than 0. just play some more games and see what your meta is. based on your meta you can make some adjustments.

what are you mostly playing against?
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    empty is better in metagames where people aren't prepared for it. sounds obvious, but maybe isn't. cards that deal with tokens or TNN are quite capable of dealing with empty. also decks that are able to ignore it might also make empty a bit invalid. (show and tell, lands, reanimator, storm)

if you can get 2 led's, this is better than 0. just play some more games and see what your meta is. based on your meta you can make some adjustments.

what are you mostly playing against?
    Thanks, in paper, I have 2 LED. I have incorporated them into my build and fully agree that 2 is better than 0. I've not yet tested playing with 4... but have you ran into any issues with the full playset?

Online I've logged a ton of games, against nearly every archetype including most frequently: Eldrazi, R/W Prison, Goblins, Reanimator, Death & Taxes, 4c Leovold builds, and Esper Control. In paper I've encountered Burn, Death & Taxes, Esper Control, and R/W Prison, but I've only played in paper once... Online, literally every night... I haven't found the need to adjust to the meta much, maybe I'm being closed minded, but this deck powers through most decks quite well.

Are you maxing out on Act on Impulse? ... I would consider more copies of Gamble as the substitute
    Yes, 4 AoI - they synergize perfectly with LED. I'm only running 1 gamble - I guess I could bump it up to 2, I agree it works as additional PiF. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

for me it's much like the ANT deck not running empty in the maindeck. (which means they only have tendrils available game 1).

i'd prefer to run as few win conditions in the maindeck in order to have other cards that can sustain the combo. if you're only running 2 led's i'd recommend trying to find some other kind of ramp card in its place. 2 desperate ritual is probably the next option. with a rock out, it's only R mana more than LED, although it can't help generate black mana for tendrils (i don't think this is significant).
    -rob

Quick preface,

I've been making the transition from EDH into Legacy. The format intrigues me greatly and is just as high octane, often moreso, than EDH. I began playing Lands but I soon realized I wasn't equip with the knowledge of the format to play the deck well. In Magic I love Storm. Casting a lot of spells is just too much fun for me. My friends have sat through a match of me versus my deck almost more than not while playing together. So I picked up TES (Note: on Cockatrice to test for budget). I was equally unprepared to run the tutor suite of TES. I'm realizing a lot of this as I'm writing to you all so bear with me.

It took me a while to get into the urge to play Legacy matches. Sideboarding was a completely new concept to me as I was more or less brought into Magic, well competitive Magic through EDH. There are so many choices, informed choices, that need to be made to sb well let alone utilize cards like Burning Wish. So Legacy went for some time unnoticed by me as I brewed deck after deck finding new commanders that could be built around, especially jank like Blind Seer. However the urge to play wasn't there I was just brewing.

I'll get to the point. I started loving Big Red. Well I guess "Dragon Stompy." Frogger42 (Source username) led me onto his Stompy list with 4 Recruiters 4 Rabblemaster and no Bridges / Trinispheres. I was sad to see Sin Prodder go as well but I hated having Tombs / Chalices go to the grave with no downside. Been on mono-R in EDH as well with Zada so I'm not unfamiliar with the concept of Mono Red nor mono R storm. So when I saw this list posted on the r/mtglegacy subreddit I just laughed to myself and said, Legacy, Mono Red Storm? Couldn't be. And passed on.

With my growing interest in Legacy also came my investment in time here reading through established and decks to beat. I hadn't batted an eye here. Until now! Sorry wasn't really a quick preface.

So here is my reason to be writing to you now. I'd love some help in finding a Ruby Storm list to get my fingers on and start testing. I haven't done a lot of research into what is considered the "standard" because I am more looking for experience in playing as opposed to the raw list itself trying to digest it myself. I've gathered a good deal of information on the surface level interactions with things like LED with Act on Impulse but that isn't really a hard realization. I guess I am looking for general guidance into a good List to run for a beginner such as myself. I've seen a lot of discrepancy in sideboarding which shouldn't come as a surprise as it is meta dependent, but I need a bit of help with the good Burning Wish options as well as balancing the SB to be able to support me in the harder matchups.

TL;DR Hoping for some insight into a basic Ruby Storm variant to get me started. Meta: Cockatrice, (online), very sporadic but more often fairly 'typical' decks.

Edit: I've drafted a preliminary build based off of what I've read and seen online throughout the past few hours.

4 SSG
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 LED
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Ruby Medallion
    1 Helm of Awakening

4 Act on Impulse
    4 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Git Probe
    2 Reforge the Soul
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens

7 Mountain
    4 Sol Lands (2/2 Tomb City?)

SB:

Past in Flames
    Tendrils of Agony
    Empty the Warrens
    Grapeshot
    Reforege the Soul
    By Force
    Cave-in
    Mizzix's Mastery? (flex)
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Scab-clan Breserker

Who knows? What do you all think about this super hasty mock up? Worth some grit or shit?
    Last edited by Tangerinefox; 11-02-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerinefox View Post
    Who knows? What do you all think about this super hasty mock up? Worth some grit or shit?
    Glad you are interested in legacy and this deck in particular.

I do not like Hazoret's Undying Fury or Simian Spirit Guide. I think there's too much uncertainty with HuF for such a cost and SSG other than the super explosive turn 1 is not great. I would recommend trimming both down. I was playing the wheel effect for a while, but recently cut it, not sure if its right - either way I would not run more than 1 main deck.

Previously, I was only running 3 git-probes for a while and the others here recommended to run 4... they were right. There have been times where life loss has burnt me - I'm currently on the fetch land plan -- but I think you gotta run 4 Gitaxian Probes.

Regarding sideboard - I guess you've seen a lot of dredge or reanimator? I would recommend something against Death & Taxes as I've found that to be the worst matchup... My Sideboard is very non-committal on meta and may be a good place to start, but also may be terrible for what you play against.

This is where I am at:

Mana
    7 Mountain
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Lion's Eye Diamond

Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song

Reducers
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening

Enablers
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Past in Flames
    1 Gamble
    1 Shreds of Sanity

Win-Con
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Guttersnipe
    2 Empty the Warrens

Sideboard/Wishboard
    SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    SB: 2 Sulfur Elemental
    SB: 2 Defense Grid
    WB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    WB: 1 Past in Flames
    WB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    WB: 1 Goblin War Strike
    WB: 1 Grapeshot
    WB: 1 By Force
    WB: 1 Cave-In

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Glad you found my reddit post a while back. I think there's a transition with deck building for this specific deck. At first we all love hazoret's, then we move away from it. Same with wheel. They both can win games easily, but at the cost of variance. If you're running hot that day, you'll probably crush everyone.

However, if you want more consistency, these cards can be dangerous.

I'd recommend deciding what you like to do and choosing an appropriate list. Keep in mind most cockatrice players are crap.
    -rob

I love the idea of Hazoret's Undying Fury but seems to not be the right choice for a few reasons. Most of what you described Rob when you laid out the inconsistencies.

In my own very brief personal experience playtesting / goldfishin I found almost every time I'd flip the top four I'd get another Hazoret or lands. I'll try out something closer to the list laid out above and see how she's goes in a real match.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerinefox View Post
    I love the idea of Hazoret's Undying Fury but seems to not be the right choice for a few reasons. Most of what you described Rob when you laid out the inconsistencies.

In my own very brief personal experience playtesting / goldfishin I found almost every time I'd flip the top four I'd get another Hazoret or lands. I'll try out something closer to the list laid out above and see how she's goes in a real match.
    my suggestion is still any red fetch land

Thread Information