Page 50 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

My land count is probably the thing i worked most on.

I found 13 to be the exact amount of lands I wanted.

Fetch lands help reduce whiff capabilities off the AOIs and RTS. Even flopping 1 land hurts the consistency.

At first I ran 4 Tombs, but found I needed Red WAY more than that.

Dropped 1 tomb and upped my mountains. Found it fantastic.

Faithless looting helps fix land drops as well as puts rite of flames and PIF/Mizzix targets in yard.

Gamble would do the same.

My numbers with Helm/Ruby as well. Having 2 helm really helps with defense grids and dropping Tendrils of Agony numbers. At first I was 4 ruby/2 helm. Then found 5 to be a good number and adjusted from there.

Helm FINALLY bit me in the ass vs a miracles player when he predicted a TON and just out carded me. I still won that match though FWIW. Game 3 we both got flooded and the fetches helped a LOT IMO. At a point I new the 3 lands left in my deck and odds of drawing certain things etc and went off from there.

Just SOLD off my LEDS along with some other stuff, so I am 100% moving out of the deck into something I feel is better suited for GP's etc. Selling manamorphose, so possibly can come back to it later without the LEDS for local stuff, but probably not good enough to warrant it at that point for me.

Final thoughts- I like 2 PIF main 1 sb i think. 1 mizzix mastery mained 1 sb. seriously try this card out. its a snapcaster for freebies and often wins on the spot when overloaded. Allows for tendrils off red mana only and adds extra storm count. They also chain together. Mizz-mizz-tendrils etc.

I think Gamble and Faithless in some qtys help consistency.

Fetch land math only applies to a game where you draw 4 cards, not 40.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

thanks. my main concern is always finding an initial red mana source. if you're consistent enough to get that with 10 that's great. i haven't been able to have that same consistency with 10. (i don't count petals as in most real-matches it's a risky keep).

too bad to see you sell off! LED is one of my favorite cards, but money is money! best of luck.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I don't think the deck is dead without LED's...it's different, but not dead. A little slower, about 1/2 a turn, but that leaves open slots for interaction that you can't cut anywhere else for (Bolts, Overmaster) or adding more threats (Guttersnipe, maindeck Warrens) or just slamming more Shreds of Sanity/Hazoret's Undying Fury.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I don't think the deck is dead without LED's...it's different, but not dead. A little slower, about 1/2 a turn, but that leaves open slots for interaction that you can't cut anywhere else for (Bolts, Overmaster) or adding more threats (Guttersnipe, maindeck Warrens) or just slamming more Shreds of Sanity/Hazoret's Undying Fury.
    i agree, but im selling off lots

There was some discussion of a Dragonstorm variant in this thread last year. Apparently, some Japanese players have done well with it.

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD00006SOT/

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD00656TA/

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD00135N/

I don't think it's so different from this deck as to require a different thread, and it might have merit as a LED-less variant.
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

The third list being closest to the deck discussed here. Maybe better than the non LED list.
    -rob

Can't understand why you should play 6 dragons, 2 dragonstorm, 3 empty the warrens and 4 burning wish.
    I like a dragonstorm way, but i think that the point should be to have like 4 wish 3 dragonstorm+1 on sb and the minimum number of dragons?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

of the 3, this is prob the best one:

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD00006SOT/
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Dragonstorm is so spicy! However, there is a minimum of 9-12 cards that need to be dedicated to make it work (6-8 dragons, 3-4 Dragonstorms.) There is a Rb dragonstorm thread here, i'll try and find it.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Dragonstorm makes a lot of sense to me.

Saw the post on reddit and prompted me to come in here. I'll probably pick that stuff up with store credit.

Mizzix's mastery + faithless looting is real good! :P

We had another article highlighting the deck yesterday. Anyone from the Source?

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/carlos...ng-up-a-storm/

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i know ahg113 posts on here, so maybe he knows the author.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Guttersnipe one of your few cards that are vulnerable to commonly played removal spells, but gives you the potential of controlling the board or just killing your opponent outright, particularly in multiples.
    Guttersnipe doesn't hit creatures, so he missed that. Makes me think that Burning Vengeance is something that could be valuable if we are looking for that effect.

The strength of this deck is that the draw spells mean that you can go off from a relatively small base even after your opponent has the opportunity to utilize their own disruptive elements.
    He gets this right.
    Brainstorm Realist

I haven't the foggiest. I haven't sleeved that up in paper yet (waiting on Commune with Lava in the mail), so it must be against someone I've played against on cockatrice.

The credit really does belong to mistercakes, my handle is misguidingly associated.

A pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Guttersnipe doesn't hit creatures, so he missed that. Makes me think that Burning Vengeance is something that could be valuable if we are looking for that effect.
    For the heck of it, Snipe is a body, so it's possible to control the board in ways of not removal, but just a deterrent from them attacking you, you attacking them, or blah blah blah.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

been doing some goldfishing with 12 mtn, 2 tomb, 3 commune, 2 snipe, 0 bolt, 3 pif. (rest is 4's)

it's been pretty good, but i'm pretty sure the deck will still want another land. if that's the case then the 3rd commune drops down to 2. each time it's super risky just to get a 2nd land, which this deck needs to be consistent.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    For the heck of it, Snipe is a body, so it's possible to control the board in ways of not removal, but just a deterrent from them attacking you, you attacking them, or blah blah blah.
    I don't think Guttersnipe would ever deter someone from attacking you. If you block, you lose a win condition. If you don't block, they pressure your life total. If that's what he meant by 'controlling the board' then I have very little faith in his evaluation of Magic interplay. I think it's more likely he was under the impression that Guttersnipe also has the ability to hit creatures. I play this deck and Junk/Deadguy Ale both quite a bit. As a mid-range fair deck player I wouldn't hesitate to attack into Snipe, not even for a second, and my StP's and Abrupt Decays will kill that guy ASAP. It's a terrible argument for 'controlling the board'.

It did however really get me thinking about Burning Vengeance, which is a combo kill with Past in Flames. It's another way for Grapeshot to be lethal if mana is an issue (like not having a Ruby Medallion.) The fact that it's an enchantment is also very relevant. I might do 3x Vengeance maindeck and then swap it out with Guttersnipe post-board when grave hate comes in and creature removal goes out.

I'm also looking into what it would take to get Dragonstorm into the mix. It's janky as hell, but sweet jesus it would be fun.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Vengeance is pretty bad here. Feel free to try it but it's totally dependent on past in flames and if for some reason they are playing grafdiggers, it does nothing. Also you don't need to squeeze dragonstorm into the deck, it's a good deck on its own.

Vieko showed me these dragonstorm decks about a year ago, which is what inspired me to do Ruby Storm in the first place.

Guttersnipe controls the board in the aspect that the game becomes centered around him once he hits the table.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

That makes sense, it becomes a Guttersnipe sub-game. Vengeance would only be a maindeck card, boarded out for Guttersnipe out of the side. I think I've mentioned before that I actually board out copies of PiF post-board for relevant interaction against grave hate. Vengeance would have to follow suit.

Dragonstorm would be for pure funsies, honestly. I know the version I am already using is pretty decent. At the local it could be HILARIOUS though.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

yea i think the dragonstorm deck is worth sleeving up. it's definitely the best way to abuse mizzix's mastery. the dragon backup plan is honestly fine too, which is a bit odd for 2018 legacy.
    -rob

Thread Information