Page 53 of 98 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by mort47 View Post
    True, but Goblin War Strike doesn't let you attack for 20 with two Bedlam Revelers on turn two.

I don't know if this is correct but it looks like it has potential, with or without LED.
    Is that reasonable or is it based on a perfect draw? I like the concept of all-in, red does that very well even while mono-colored. I think that's why I want to play Blood Moons maindeck. It isn't great against everything, but a lot of decks will fold to a t1 Blood Moon. That gives us plenty of time to assemble a combo, one where even 6-8 goblins will get there. The premise is rather than play protection, play more threats (that don't compromise your combo by using too many resources.) Blood Moon fits that bill pretty good. You're basically pressuring a faster combo turn whereas I think I'm trying to just play a threat that attacks on a different axis. I think nailing a t1 blood moon with a ritual + SSG is fine if it gets countered, because I didn't utilize too many resources to get there. Your Reveler plan is good because even if you don't combo you are left with a 3/4 that has prowess and refilled your hand. It seems like a decent plan, for sure. I know that guttersnipe plays that role as well.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I've tried revelers and didn't like them. Feel free to use them. Remember they are bad in a meta full of blockers.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Is that reasonable or is it based on a perfect draw? I like the concept of all-in, red does that very well even while mono-colored. I think that's why I want to play Blood Moons maindeck. It isn't great against everything, but a lot of decks will fold to a t1 Blood Moon. That gives us plenty of time to assemble a combo, one where even 6-8 goblins will get there. The premise is rather than play protection, play more threats (that don't compromise your combo by using too many resources.) Blood Moon fits that bill pretty good. You're basically pressuring a faster combo turn whereas I think I'm trying to just play a threat that attacks on a different axis. I think nailing a t1 blood moon with a ritual + SSG is fine if it gets countered, because I didn't utilize too many resources to get there. Your Reveler plan is good because even if you don't combo you are left with a 3/4 that has prowess and refilled your hand. It seems like a decent plan, for sure. I know that guttersnipe plays that role as well.
    It's as reasonable as anything else really. I've managed it twice in the twenty or so games I've goldfished today (although one of those times I also found the Manamorphose for Tendrils, the first time the Revelers got there but Grapeshot wouldn't have).

I like your thinking and I think it does come down to personal taste. I much prefer a deck filled with fast, risky (but reasonably consistent) combo kills.

The Revelers do get blocked. I've cleared the way a couple of times with Bolts or attacked before the opponent could make a board (bad AI at least plays creatures) but more often than not its RR draw 3, which is something I think this deck wants. All four might be a bit much though because two of them in hand is so bad.

So I went 1-1-1 (last one ID) and 2-0-1 (last one ID) today with Ruby Storm on the side events at GP Amsterdam. Tomorrow I'm going again, with a slightly different list. I'll try to remember enough tomorrow to make a tournament report but it's late now and I wanna go to bed so I'm concentrated tomorrow. My current list is:

4 Wish
    4 Act on Impulse
    1 Reforge the Soul
    2 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Gamble
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Rite of Flame

4 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Lightning Bolt

4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening

11 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb

SB:

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 By Force
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Gamble
    1 Cave In
    1 Hull Breach
    3 Defense Grid
    2 Scrab-Clan Berserker

So I want to include 1 extra Bolt, I really like that they give you time to breath because you can just kill the DRS/Thalia/whatever. Does someone have any idea what I can cut for the 3rd Bolt? Or have any other advice about my list? I've been playing on FNM-level for the last couple of weeks with good results (3-1 and 4-0) and I really like the deck. It has more potential than people give credit for. Anyway, thanks for reading!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Bosaapje View Post
    So I went 1-1-1 (last one ID) and 2-0-1 (last one ID) today with Ruby Storm on the side events at GP Amsterdam. Tomorrow I'm going again, with a slightly different list. I'll try to remember enough tomorrow to make a tournament report but it's late now and I wanna go to bed so I'm concentrated tomorrow. My current list is:

4 Wish
    4 Act on Impulse
    1 Reforge the Soul
    2 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Gamble
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Rite of Flame

4 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Lightning Bolt

4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening

11 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb

SB:

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 By Force
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Gamble
    1 Cave In
    1 Hull Breach
    3 Defense Grid
    2 Scrab-Clan Berserker

So I want to include 1 extra Bolt, I really like that they give you time to breath because you can just kill the DRS/Thalia/whatever. Does someone have any idea what I can cut for the 3rd Bolt? Or have any other advice about my list? I've been playing on FNM-level for the last couple of weeks with good results (3-1 and 4-0) and I really like the deck. It has more potential than people give credit for. Anyway, thanks for reading!
    thanks for the feedback. lemme know what your results were (match-wise) after the weekend. i think if you want the 3rd bolt, then you're likely going to want to drop 1 of the following:

1 hazoret's
    1 helm of awakening
    1 gitaxian probe
    1 reforge the soul

i'm not really sure there's another option there.

-Rob
    -rob

I think your correct. I don't want to cut any business so it will probably be a Probe or Helm. I'll sleep over it and decide tomorrow morning. When I'm done I'll write a report.

I've been clowning around on cockatrice with this list recently and have enjoyed it.

// Legacy - Ruby Storm-Pyromancer Ascension

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 1 Creature
    1 Guttersnipe

// 2 Enchantment
    2 Pyromancer Ascension

// 13 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    2 Lightning Bolt
    3 Commune with Lava

// 14 Land
    11 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb

// 18 Sorcery
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Tendrils of Agony

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Silent Gravestone

// 2 Creature
    SB: 2 Scab-Clan Berserker

// 11 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 2 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Dark Petition
    SB: 1 Gamble
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Cave-In
    SB: 1 By Force

I've gone back and forth between a Cave-In and Flame Slash, except for Leo, singleton grapeshot kinda fills that void if desperate. I like to be able to swap a Empty for Tendrils depending on the match-up, but keep it 1 MD / 3 SB between the two kill spells. Usually I like Silent Gravestone, sometimes I wish it were cave, others something else. But it shuts down DRS, and that's a great thing. Exiling GYs is tough at times, but optionality is pretty great. Scab-Clan is old tech, and have been happy with casting it, sometimes wins a game by itself. Singleton Guttersnipe is me going down with the ship, I like a diversity of win-cons in deck (Snipe, Wish, Tendrils).

Feb 2016
    New England region USA

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    I've gone back and forth between a Cave-In and Flame Slash, except for Leo, singleton grapeshot kinda fills that void if desperate.
    Personally, I would stick with Cave-In. Obviously you have the bolt/ascension thing going on and usually want to hit face, but bolt for leo is pretty good. Keep your sweeper.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    I've been clowning around on cockatrice with this list recently and have enjoyed it.

// Legacy - Ruby Storm-Pyromancer Ascension

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 1 Creature
    1 Guttersnipe

// 2 Enchantment
    2 Pyromancer Ascension

// 13 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    2 Lightning Bolt
    3 Commune with Lava

// 14 Land
    11 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb

// 18 Sorcery
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Tendrils of Agony

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Silent Gravestone

// 2 Creature
    SB: 2 Scab-Clan Berserker

// 11 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 2 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Dark Petition
    SB: 1 Gamble
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Cave-In
    SB: 1 By Force

I've gone back and forth between a Cave-In and Flame Slash, except for Leo, singleton grapeshot kinda fills that void if desperate. I like to be able to swap a Empty for Tendrils depending on the match-up, but keep it 1 MD / 3 SB between the two kill spells. Usually I like Silent Gravestone, sometimes I wish it were cave, others something else. But it shuts down DRS, and that's a great thing. Exiling GYs is tough at times, but optionality is pretty great. Scab-Clan is old tech, and have been happy with casting it, sometimes wins a game by itself. Singleton Guttersnipe is me going down with the ship, I like a diversity of win-cons in deck (Snipe, Wish, Tendrils).
    Still testing this? Wondering how it's been working out. I still haven't been able to play for some time now due to work/traveling.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So Dragon Stompy is a DTB...that decides it for me, I'm playing Blood Moon Storm at my next LGS outing, probably this Friday. List will be similar to one I posted a page or two back:

Fast Mana - 15
    1x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Rite of Flame
    4x Seething Song
    2x Desperate Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal

Reducers - 4
    4x Ruby Medallion

Engine - 9
    4x Burning Wish
    3x Past in Flames
    1x Shreds of Sanity
    1x Hazoret's Undying Fury

Draw/Filter - 12
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Manamorphose
    4x Act on Impulse

Win Conditions/Hosers - 6
    4x Blood Moon
    2x Empty the Warrens

Lands - 14
    4x Crystal Vein
    10x Mountain

Sideboard
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    1x Past in Flames
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x Goblin War Strike
    1x Reforge the Soul
    1x Pyroclasm
    1x By Force
    3x Pyroblast
    2x Scab Clan Berserker
    2x Tormod's Crypt

Pyroclasm over Cave-In, because Gaddock Teeg has had a slight uptick at LGS. Pyroblast in the board seems good to protect Moons/Burning Wish on the cheap. Double Crypt because I almost always see BR reanimator represented, even if I get lucky and avoid the matchup. Still sold on War Strike because of the maindeck Warrens.

Will report back with results/matchups/feedback.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

So Im going to start by saying I love this deck. I want to own it. That being said what do you people think about the effect of dampening sphere on the deck's flow? Inherently speaking you start resistant to the anti-storm effect of the card for the first 2 or so spells which can be used to wish for artifact removal if needed or draw it post board, but will the card limit this deck's consistency in the greater legacy meta in the long term?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by johannart View Post
    So Im going to start by saying I love this deck. I want to own it. That being said what do you people think about the effect of dampening sphere on the deck's flow? Inherently speaking you start resistant to the anti-storm effect of the card for the first 2 or so spells which can be used to wish for artifact removal if needed or draw it post board, but will the card limit this deck's consistency in the greater legacy meta in the long term?
    It's an artifact, something red is very capable of dealing with. Abrade, By Force, Shattering Spree. "We got that covered." With a reducer in play, the first spell is 1 cheaper, the second one is at cost, and the third costs 1 one more. This is actually a lot easier to deal with than traditional storm, because Ruby Medallion offsets it already.

EDIT: I totally forgot Guttersnipe in the board...will probably squeeze in at least 2 copies.
    Brainstorm Realist

It's an artifact, something red is very capable of dealing with. Abrade, By Force, Shattering Spree. "We got that covered." With a reducer in play, the first spell is 1 cheaper, the second one is at cost, and the third costs 1 one more. This is actually a lot easier to deal with than traditional storm, because Ruby Medallion offsets it already.
    That is what I thought, does tendrils do anything beyond give you an out for glacial chasm? Why not just play stone rain?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

glacial chasm does not stop tendrils of agony. leyline is sanctity can be beaten by guttersnipe.

if a lands player has glacial chasm + leyline of sanctity then you lose. :)

i suppose you can use chaos warp if you really are afraid of this. just tune to your local meta.

i'm going to test some of the builds hopefully in a few weeks when i can do some playtesting sessions. my main goal is to test vs grixis delver + cz pile + miracles.

whatever build feels best against those will be my build for a considerable amount of time. unfortunately i don't have time to test, so when it happens it happens. hopefully someone else can do some testing as well. hopefully you guys have some competent testing partners!
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    if a lands player has glacial chasm + leyline of sanctity then you lose. :)

Blood Moon ftw!
    Brainstorm Realist

Feb 2016
    New England region USA

So Dragon Stompy is a DTB...that decides it for me, I'm playing Blood Moon Storm at my next LGS outing, probably this Friday. List will be similar to one I posted a page or two back:

Fast Mana - 15
    1x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Rite of Flame
    4x Seething Song
    2x Desperate Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal

Reducers - 4
    4x Ruby Medallion

Engine - 9
    4x Burning Wish
    3x Past in Flames
    1x Shreds of Sanity
    1x Hazoret's Undying Fury

Draw/Filter - 12
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Manamorphose
    4x Act on Impulse

Win Conditions/Hosers - 6
    4x Blood Moon
    2x Empty the Warrens

Lands - 14
    4x Crystal Vein
    10x Mountain

Sideboard
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    1x Past in Flames
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x Goblin War Strike
    1x Reforge the Soul
    1x Pyroclasm
    1x By Force
    3x Pyroblast
    2x Scab Clan Berserker
    2x Tormod's Crypt

Pyroclasm over Cave-In, because Gaddock Teeg has had a slight uptick at LGS. Pyroblast in the board seems good to protect Moons/Burning Wish on the cheap. Double Crypt because I almost always see BR reanimator represented, even if I get lucky and avoid the matchup. Still sold on War Strike because of the maindeck Warrens.

Will report back with results/matchups/feedback.
    I'm not convinced playing the deck without LED is the best option, especially with 3x maindeck Past in Flames. Noting that you have Crystal Veins, is the lack of LED a budget option or do you feel they aren't worth running?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

safety does his own thing. i think it's almost entirely due to budget constraints.

-rob
    -rob

Feb 2016
    New England region USA

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    safety does his own thing. i think it's almost entirely due to budget constraints.

-rob
    I figured as much, and with the recent jump in LED prices, I totally understand. Thanks for the clarification.
    Belcher Aficionado. Lover of Burning Wish.
    Decks I Play/Pimped:
    Experimental Doomsday
    Bizarro Stormy
    TES
    ScapeWish
    UBr Tezzerator/Painter brews

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Definitely due to budget/lack of LED.
    Brainstorm Realist

MTGO name: Aggro4Life

Aug 2016
    Arizona, USA

Wanted to try this deck again now that it has had some dev time. What is the best version y'all have so far.

P.S.
    Does this deck have a discord? The Storm discord seems to only have ANT/TES channels.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thread Information