Page 85 of 98 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

I think Ral is cool, 4 mana is alot, and needing both blue and red cuts off seething song to cast it. So it might be a bit too slow, but the effect is really really really good. It will suck to draw when the opponent already has creatures on board. Could be a sideboard card against miracles/grixis control.

On the topic of sideboard. Say you play UR (or i guess it could apply to monored as well), you are going to play 5 games vs delver decks (a mix of grixis, ur, uw and rug) with your life on stake. You get to select 5 cards for your sideboard. What would you pick?

Your current sideboard is
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Pif
    1 RoF
    1 Empty
    1 huf
    2 Fiery Confluence
    3 flusterstorm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

On the topic of sideboard. Say you play UR (or i guess it could apply to monored as well), you are going to play 5 games vs delver decks (a mix of grixis, ur, uw and rug) with your life on stake. You get to select 5 cards for your sideboard. What would you pick?

Your current sideboard is
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Pif
    1 RoF
    1 Empty
    1 huf
    2 Fiery Confluence
    3 flusterstorm

i think extra empty the warrens is what i see TES and ANT go for against the non sweeper versions. i like abrade a lot even though it doesn't hit the dome, but it does double up against stompy decks.

bolt is also great vs delver, sometimes you can hit their creatures and then the clocks are too slow. i also like an echoing truth or two.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I like [sudden shock] a LOT in the sb. Thalia is really annoying and being able to nerf her is gold. They also kill flipped delvers guaranteed, can sneak a kill on a [monastery mentor], and still add up to decent damage with bonus rounds (It's not uncommon for me to deal 16 with a sudden shock, which is often enough to kill a thoughtseize deck)

Both bolt and sudden shock have utility, i'm looking more for something like "if i draw this i win" card, like leyline vs reanimator. I realize that it does not exist, but i'm curious about what's closest. My guess is that it's either empty or chalice, but maybe it exists even better cards :)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    Both bolt and sudden shock have utility, i'm looking more for something like "if i draw this i win" card, like leyline vs reanimator. I realize that it does not exist, but i'm curious about what's closest. My guess is that it's either empty or chalice, but maybe it exists even better cards :)
    telemin performance or bribery, probably a bit too slow.

otherwise typical graveyard hate would apply here.

for really crazy stuff you can check out:

Hallowed Moonlight 1White (2)
    Instant
    Until end of turn, if a creature would enter the battlefield and it wasn't cast, exile it instead.

Draw a card.

OR

Mistcaller Blue (1)
    Creature — Merfolk Wizard (1/1)
    Sacrifice Mistcaller: Until end of turn, if a nontoken creature would enter the battlefield and it wasn't cast, exile it instead.
    -rob

Well, I ment a card vs delver, that has the same amount of effect as leyline has vs reanimator.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Well, I ment a card vs delver, that has the same amount of effect as leyline has vs reanimator.

probably just play more flusterstorm. divert could also be fun.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i've been tinkering around a lot on cockatrice as wanted to put in a little more effort with the blue versions as it seems to be what more people want to play.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 11 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 12 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Brainstorm

// 14 Land
    2 Ancient Tomb
    3 Sandstone Needle
    1 Mountain
    2 Scalding Tarn
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Arid Mesa
    1 Bloodstained Mire

// 23 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Bonus Round
    3 Act on Impulse
    4 Ponder
    3 Reforge the Soul

// 15 Sideboard
    // 6 Instant
    SB: 3 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Echoing Truth
    SB: 1 Abrade

// 9 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    SB: 1 Mizzix's Mastery
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Act on Impulse

mizzix's mastery is not set in stone as it could be pretty much anything. likely the best card is surgical extraction or another abrade.

one interaction in this list that is rather nice:

bonus round resolved + brainstorm + led + AoI in hand. (with U)

play the LED, cast brainstorm. resolve first brainstorm putting AoI on top of deck, resp to second brainstorm crack LED, then you can cast AoI with the LED mana.
    -rob

Jan 2017
    TN

Empty the Warrens has always been the hay-maker card for Storm vs Delver.
    If you can crack of an empty for 8-10 goblins within the first 2 turns, you're heavily favored.
    Back when I was on DDFT and Grixis Delver [felt like it] was 90% of the meta, I was running 3-4 Empties in the 75.

The only card that they (sometimes) run that can punish us for that is Marsh Casualties. Otherwise Empty is basically a free-roll vs them.

Yeah, i probably will have to stick to empty. I've been playing three lately but it has kind of underperformed. My opponents always seem to read my intentions and counter at the exact right time so I spend many resources doing nothing. Also there has been an uptick in stifles lately. I was hoping there was some secret tech :)

I've been playing a bit lately again, preparing for an offline tournament next week. I tried a league with 4x chalice in the sideboard. Unfortunately I did not get to test them that much as I only had two matchups where I boarded them in. I cast chalice twice, one resolved and my opponent scooped (vs snt). Then I had one game where I could cast t1 OTD off a petal vs a t1 delver but chose not to as i was afraid of daze and needed the petal. In hindsight i should have casted it as my opponent had like 2 spell pierce brainstorm ponder thoughtseize no daze/fow.
    I think the rule when it comes to chalice is just jam it.
    Will probably try it one more league. I really like how it stops a lot of annoying things, and the thought of being a storm combo deck with chalice is cool :)

Jan 2017
    TN

Might be too much of a stretch, but we could play it.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    Finale of Promise
    It looks like a Wish target, similar to Past in Flames or Mizzix Mastery, but I think it's not worth it. Then again I don't have that much experience with the deck, but here are some basic thoughts:
    It let's you cast a maximum of two spells if you have an Instant and a Sorcery in your graveyard. Instants in Mono R are Mana Morphose, Seething Song and maybe Desperate Ritual. Maybe some Lightning Bolts or Commune with Lava too. In UR you can add Brainstorm to the list (Flusterstorm or other counterspells can be ignored, you don't want to cast those with Finale of Promise). So for most lists about 8-12 Instants. Just 8 Spells could be a bit low, 10+ sounds better to me. I guess that makes Finale at least playable?

If you have Bonus Round up this thing gets really good, but that's the case for most of our spells. It's more interesting to look at it if no Bonus Round was resolved before.
    I think most of the time you want to get a card draw spell plus a ritual to cast further spells. To do that in Mono R you can cast Finale for 3RR to get Act on Impulse and Seething Song. Seething Song gives you back the 5 mana you have invested, so you just cast a free Act on Impulse and still have RRRRR floating, wich is not that bad.
    Or for the same amount of mana you could cast Bonus Round and either Seething Song or Mana Morphose, wich gives an active Bonus Round with RRRRR floating or an active Bonus Round with 2 mana floating and a card drawn.

In UR you can cast Finale of Promise for as few as 1RR to get a Brainstorm and a Rite of Flame, wich isn't that amazing though. You have less mana than before (if you didn't have other RoF in your grave) and have cycled a card.

For both Mono R and UR there are other options of course, but those all sound even less interesting. I feel that it's only really worth it for X=3. If you keep in mind that you have wished for Finale in the first place then you can add another two mana to the cost, wich makes Finale pretty unappealing.

If you have 12+ mana to cast it with X=10 then Past in Flames or Mizzix Mastery are also good. Usually each of those spells could win the game at that point. But the other two are better if you have less than 12 mana imho.
    With one or more resolved Bonus Rounds Finale of Promise can get pretty crazy. But at that point I would still prefer Mizzix Mastery, because it costs 1 less to cast and isn't restricted to Instant+Sorcery, so it's just a bit more flexible there. And without Bonus Round Mizzix Mastery seems better too.

Finale of Promise could be a flex slot card in the main of the Mono R version, but it doesn't appeal to me as a wishboard card.

Trigunner, I agree completely. It's a 5 mana spell that is reliant on having good cards in your graveyard. But can't deny that x>10 is cool :)

Jan 2017
    TN

So, Niagara is almost upon us. I think I'm pretty locked in with my list (same as St. Louis):

MD:
    4x Ancient Tomb
    1x Arid Mesa
    4x Bonus Round
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Burning Wish
    4x Desperate Ritual
    1x Island
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Manamorphose
    1x Mountain
    2x Past in Flames
    4x Ponder
    4x Reforge the Soul
    3x Rite of Flame
    4x Ruby Medallion
    4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Seething Song
    3x Volcanic Island
    1x Wooded Foothills

SB:
    1x Abrade
    1x By Force
    1x Empty the Warrens
    2x Fiery Confluence
    2x Flusterstorm
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Hazoret's Undying Fury
    2x Hope of Ghirapur
    1x Past in Flames
    1x Rite of Flame
    2x Surgical Extraction

The only change I've really been considering is maybe adding a Cratermaker or two to the SB (had a Prelate on 2 each my lunch the other day).
    Craterboi does cost 1-more in total over Abrade, but it also doesn't get taxed by Thalia.

Edit: On a side note, the London mulligan on MTGO has felt pretty good for this deck, especially since we can have some pretty awkward openers with Ancient Tomb.
    As a whole, though, I don't think the London mulligan should be implemented. I think it promotes unhealthy deck construction.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

good luck!
    -rob

Good luck, make us proud!
    I also have 2 offline tourneys this weekend. My current list is almost like yours in the main, only differences being 2 ssgs over the basics, -1 fetch + 1 volcanic island and also -1 pif for 1 intuition. I'm still debating those differences tho. Well i won't go below 4 volcanics, but the other ones :)

Sideboard differs a bit

2x Flusterstorm
    2x Echoing truth
    2x Fiery Confluence
    1x Rite of flame
    3x Empty The Warrens
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Past in flames
    1x Hazoret's undying fury

I love hope of ghirapur, but i feel that it's only good vs miracles, so i play 2x extra empty instead. I would love to have room for abrade and flusterstorm 3. Surgical #2 or empty #3 are the most cuttable cards currently.

Jan 2017
    TN

Good luck, make us proud!
    I also have 2 offline tourneys this weekend. My current list is almost like yours in the main, only differences being 2 ssgs over the basics, -1 fetch + 1 volcanic island and also -1 pif for 1 intuition. I'm still debating those differences tho. Well i won't go below 4 volcanics, but the other ones :)

Sideboard differs a bit

2x Flusterstorm
    2x Echoing truth
    2x Fiery Confluence
    1x Rite of flame
    3x Empty The Warrens
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Past in flames
    1x Hazoret's undying fury

I love hope of ghirapur, but i feel that it's only good vs miracles, so i play 2x extra empty instead. I would love to have room for abrade and flusterstorm 3. Surgical #2 or empty #3 are the most cuttable cards currently.
    I wouldn't mind a 2nd Empty in my board.
    I've felt that Hope has overperformed for me. I expect to see a decent amount of Miracles, Blade, and UW Delver and Hope is great against all the Tundra decks. It's also pretty good against Shadow, which I've been having trouble with lately.

Surgical is probably the least boarded in card for me, but I am afraid to cut it. I really do want to find room for Cratermaker, though. I've been really impressed by it in other decks.

I haven't found that I need a bounce spell. The only thing that Abrade/Cratermaker/By Force doesn't answer that we commonly see are Leyline of Sanctity (don't care, Confluence says "each opponent"), Leyline of the Void (inconvenient, but also mostly don't care) and Marit Lage (scary, but I think we're fast enough to largely ignore it).

I will say that if I played a bounce spell, I would probably pick Hurkyl's (because of the uptick in Red Prison lately) or Consign//Oblivion since we can wish for Oblivion and don't have to worry about the combined CMC if we board it in since we don't play Ad Nauseam.

True about hope being good vs stoneblade as well. The problem vs delver is mostly that they can just leave one delver home to negate it. Vs UR delver I wouldn't even board it in when they have pteramander, delver and bolts. I might want to add one just for miracles and stoneblade and maybe show and tell.

My reasoning for running echoing truth is that it is multipurpose, can bounce Thalia, trinisphere, canonist and all cards that abrade could kill. But also marit lage, iona/Chancellor, pyrostatic pillar.

Jan 2017
    TN

True about hope being good vs stoneblade as well. The problem vs delver is mostly that they can just leave one delver home to negate it. Vs UR delver I wouldn't even board it in when they have pteramander, delver and bolts. I might want to add one just for miracles and stoneblade and maybe show and tell.

My reasoning for running echoing truth is that it is multipurpose, can bounce Thalia, trinisphere, canonist and all cards that abrade could kill. But also marit lage, iona/Chancellor, pyrostatic pillar.
    I forgot about Iona and Pillar. I'm not discounting E-Truth, that's for sure. I've played that card in the SB of more decks than I can count.

I also can't seem to find any Darksteel JPN ones...
    It's in my list of cards to pick up, along with Perilous Voyage, Consign//Oblivion, another Fluster, more Empties, a Pulverize, and a couple of other small things.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

after seeing the set spoiled in full, i'm not really on board with any of the new cards. here's the current mono red list that i'll run:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 2 Creature
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

// 12 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Desperate Ritual

// 13 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Sandstone Needle
    5 Mountain

// 21 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Bonus Round
    3 Act on Impulse
    2 Light Up the Stage
    3 Hazoret's Undying Fury

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Creature
    SB: 2 Hope of Ghirapur
    SB: 2 Guttersnipe

// 11 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 3 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    SB: 1 Mizzix's Mastery
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Act on Impulse

sb isn't 100% confirmed (at least the 2 hope, 2 guttersnipe, 2 of the 3 empty.) 6 cards are pretty flexible, not sure what i would do in an unknown meta, but for a known meta just choose accordingly. with 2 spirit guide, the scab-clan berserker is good too.
    -rob

Thread Information