Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

I think that's objectively wrong. AoI is likely the best non ramp card in the deck.
    -rob

Modeling my list after compact_d, have another sb question.

Why By Force over Shattering Spree? If I'm correct, the replicated copies dodge Chalice, costs 1 r more, can't use ancient tomb, but it just seems more versatile, opponent needs a flustered storm instead of just FoW. Talking out loud.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Modeling my list after compact_d, have another sb question.

Why By Force over Shattering Spree? If I'm correct, the replicated copies dodge Chalice, costs 1 r more, can't use ancient tomb, but it just seems more versatile, opponent needs a flustered storm instead of just FoW. Talking out loud.
    play both if you want. i like by force because of the sol lands. it's rather tricky to get multiple red mana when there's some lock pieces. both are good. i also like abrade as it can kill thalia, deathrite, delver etc.

by force just happens to be what i used and i don't think people change sb's too much.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    play both if you want. i like by force because of the sol lands. it's rather tricky to get multiple red mana when there's some lock pieces. both are good. i also like abrade as it can kill thalia, deathrite, delver etc.

by force just happens to be what i used and i don't think people change sb's too much.
    In addition it is cheapened by helm/ ruby.

I often CAN cast it x=2 but only pay a single R.

I think that's objectively wrong. AoI is likely the best non ramp card in the deck.
    that may be, but 9/10 times the combo drops, it's because of a bad Act on impulse. The other 1 is because a bad Reforge, which DOES happen, just much more unlikely because 7>3.

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    that may be, but 9/10 times the combo drops, it's because of a bad Act on impulse. The other 1 is because a bad Reforge, which DOES happen, just much more unlikely because 7>3.
    Compact - how often do you cast tendrils outright vs off a mizzix? Do the AOIs help with being able to use LED to cast "out of the hand"?

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Compact - how often do you cast tendrils outright vs off a mizzix? Do the AOIs help with being able to use LED to cast "out of the hand"?
    Please don't forget the "a" in compacta ;)

All the time. I would say half of my mizzix's are overloaded, then the other half is divided between: reforge the soul, tendrils, seething song, and act on impulse.

the awesome thing about mizzix's is that it casts, so the storm count is instantly a LOT and you can put tendrils first in case they have any ideas. Or stack the rits first if you think it'll get flusterstormed, but why would they not flusterstorm the mizzix in the first place? they would.

The LED/AOI interaction is sweet, but Burning wish/Reforge/Past in Flames+LED interaction is sweeter IMO.

AOI is very strong. I'm noticing the most times I drop a combo that is the pivot point where it happens. It also picks up games I wouldn't win otherwise when I flip my land drop, Led, and burning wish etc.

Switching over to Slivers so I won't be playing Red Storm for a while. winning 3 fnms in a row was a good ending to 2017 though.

TBH i was as skeptical on Mizzix's Mastery as I think every else was, or still is.

What tipped me over the edge was the Show and Tell deck that ran Enter the Infinite with it.

I thought "Between Faithless Looting and Reforge the Soul I can get that in the yard easy!"

I proxy jammed 3 of each with 1 of each in the wish board.

When goldfishing I found that Enter the Infinite was much harder to get in the yard than I previously thought, HOWEVER Mizzix's Mastery + Reforge the Soul and Faithless Looting was very good on its own.

I proxied back out the Enters and left the rest. I still had grapeshot at this point. I did so much casting+flashing back in same turn of Grape Shot I thought "This could just be tendrils" which would also buy time against burn/aggro decks. There's a local burn player that had been kicking my ass at this point.

After that it was tweeking the numbers.

Once I started taking it to the local tourneys, I found I can overload Mizzix's Mastery WAY MORE than I thought was possible.

The argument is "why would I cast 1 spell from yard, when PIF lets me cast ALL of them" but the counter argument is you don't have to pay for the spell, OR you can pay 8, but MORE often 6-7 and cast ALL of them without paying the mana. It also adds 1 to the storm count.

pay 4 mana to PIF from yard, then at least aother 1-2 to start a ritual chain. Or pay 7 mana to "Cast your Graveyard". I found with Seething Song, "Cast your Graveyard" is a realistic gameplan. This deck has BIG MANA.

Plus I still play PIF anyway. A mix is right IMO.

Sorry about the -a Compacta :)
    Would you play mizzix's without the LEDs? Or do you consider those a package? I have my 4 in another deck, which is why I ask. I can just proxy them for testing.

I have my mizzix's on the way. I'll test them out myself soon!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Good luck with the slivers. I'm waiting for dominaria to come back around before sleeving it back up.

I will try out a mizzix and try faithless again. Still mostly just waiting on a new card to come out. Haven't really had much time to play in general, so it's mostly just goldfishing at this point.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Sorry about the -a Compacta :)
    Would you play mizzix's without the LEDs? Or do you consider those a package? I have my 4 in another deck, which is why I ask. I can just proxy them for testing.

I have my mizzix's on the way. I'll test them out myself soon!
    I think you can, burning wish-priority crack led overload mizzix is a strong play.

If you are running desperate rits it may end up being the same really. TEST!!!!

Good luck with the slivers. I'm waiting for dominaria to come back around before sleeving it back up.

I will try out a mizzix and try faithless again. Still mostly just waiting on a new card to come out. Haven't really had much time to play in general, so it's mostly just goldfishing at this point.
    I'm hoping. They really got to give us something after giving merfolk all this hot business.

SLIVERS NEED HOT BUSINESS.

OOH mastermind's aquisition. Possible addition!

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    OOH mastermind's aquisition. Possible addition!
    It's definitely sexy, a better Burning Wish, by a good margin. Only, it's double black, so are the hoops worth it to get the proper splash in (manamorphose, petals, led, not suggesting badlands)?

Also makes a split toward helm more appealing, which marginally helps our opponents.

Food for thought though.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

How is this better than burning wish? Burning Wish is a tutor for R in this deck.
    -rob

How is this better than burning wish? Burning Wish is a tutor for R in this deck.
    It's a tutor for a card in the deck, or a tutor for a wish target in the sb, it doesn't self exile upon resolution either, so it could be cast again from the gy. The two black are achievable with petals and manamorphose, but yeah, that's the bummer. Two rocks are achievable to make it cost 2. I see a demonic tutor joined to a burning wish with the qualifier, either/or. Plus, it can grab any card from deck/sb, no sorcery restriction. And M.A. is without the typical black drawback nonsense, loss of life/additional cost sacrifice.

Last edit: if this were included, pirate's pillage becomes a much more attractive card. Help filter mana, making petals. In place of faithless looting likely. Trade the natural flashback ability for two petals.

But ultimately, >

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

This card is too expensive and most of the time is just a diabolic tutor, which we would never ever play.
    -rob

The list that played gamble wanted a 5th PiF. So the there is desire for in deck tutors for some cards. To limit it at just a diabolic tutor is short changed. It allows access to sb cards that b.wish does not. Having more options is never a bad thing, figuring how to pay for them can be tough though.

I don't think it would be a 4 of. Likely a 1 of as Burning Wish#5.

The new red snapcaster mage though. That could be hot.

Steal opponent's brainstorms?! (in 50% of all decks)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i'd rather take their ponders :)

i'll probably just go back to playing stupid janky hazoret's builds until i get a new good red card for the deck.

this is what i'll mess around with for the time being:

// 11 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Helm of Awakening

// 10 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    2 Desperate Ritual

// 14 Land
    11 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb

// 25 Sorcery
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Reforge the Soul
    3 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Gamble
    Last edited by mistercakes; 01-05-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    -rob

Thread Information