Page 43 of 98 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    I don't think it would be a 4 of. Likely a 1 of as Burning Wish#5.

The new red snapcaster mage though. That could be hot.

Steal opponent's brainstorms?! (in 50% of all decks)
    What is this you speak of? Red Snapcaster mage?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    What is this you speak of? Red Snapcaster mage?
    Not half as good...

First strike

When Dire Fleet Daredevil enters the battlefield, exile target instant or sorcery card from an opponent's graveyard. You may cast that card this turn, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell. If that card would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead.

2/1

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Not half as good...
    pretty good IMO.

It doesnt have flash, but it does take opponents gas AND filter mana to cast it. Also a very nice first strike blocker.

Stuff against burn can do this and bolt their guy etc.

Vs delver/czech steal brainstorms.

Can wheel into stuff and steal opponents flusterstorms etc.

I like it quite a bit.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think it fits a lot better in a tempo deck than a combo deck. I could see this being very powerful in modern, but legacy seems a bit too overpopulated with deathrite shaman. Don't get me wrong, it seems powerful but not for this deck I don't think.

I've been meaning to try out shreds of sanity, still haven't gotten there.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Question, would Blood Sun be an effective tool new to our arsenal? If I'm understanding correctly it allows sol lands to do their thing but not be sac'd and still cantrips. Or did I misread it?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

it's okay. depends on your metagame. i am not convinced the impact of the card is strong enough, maybe in an environment with a lot of tempo decks (lots of fetch lands) and lots of turbo depths. outside of that i think the impact is rather small. we don't care much about wasteland/port enough to run this card and many of the other lands just aren't impactful enough.

i have some new tech for this deck, but will need some time to test and then i will post about it after the fact.

stay tuned :)
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    it's okay. depends on your metagame. i am not convinced the impact of the card is strong enough, maybe in an environment with a lot of tempo decks (lots of fetch lands) and lots of turbo depths. outside of that i think the impact is rather small. we don't care much about wasteland/port enough to run this card and many of the other lands just aren't impactful enough.

i have some new tech for this deck, but will need some time to test and then i will post about it after the fact.

I agree with that. Most of the time we don't care about opponent's lands. Marit Lage is often too slow anyway.

this is actually driving me crazy. I NEED TO KNOW

this is actually driving me crazy. I NEED TO KNOW
    second!
    Looking forward to it!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

3-1 at weekly.

Beat pile 2-0
    Beat eldrazi post 2-1
    Beat aggro loam 2-1
    Lose to pile 0-2

Still needs more testing.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Dude, you're killing us! I got my set of Shreds of Insanity, so that will be my next testing avenue. I'm not sure where to give ground for it, most likely Empty the Warrens (playing 3 maindeck still) or Overmaster (same, 3 maindeck.) I won't cut any number of Act on Impulse, that card is the nuts. I see it as a mini-PiF which could actually support the Empty the Warrens maindeck plan (which I lean on strongly) much better. Having it for 3 mana at most and typically at 2 mana with a reducer makes it very strong.

TL;DR: I think Shreds will be good in testing. Has anyone else explored the card further? @ronco: weren't you on Shreds for a while?
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Dude, you're killing us! I got my set of Shreds of Insanity, so that will be my next testing avenue. I'm not sure where to give ground for it, most likely Empty the Warrens (playing 3 maindeck still) or Overmaster (same, 3 maindeck.) I won't cut any number of Act on Impulse, that card is the nuts. I see it as a mini-PiF which could actually support the Empty the Warrens maindeck plan (which I lean on strongly) much better. Having it for 3 mana at most and typically at 2 mana with a reducer makes it very strong.

TL;DR: I think Shreds will be good in testing. Has anyone else explored the card further? @ronco: weren't you on Shreds for a while?
    I started out with it.

To me Mizzix's Mastery is better. It is the card that somewhat convinced me of mizz's potential though.

3-1 at weekly.

Beat pile 2-0
    Beat eldrazi post 2-1
    Beat aggro loam 2-1
    Lose to pile 0-2

As "figuring matchups" is concerned those all feel like good matchups to me. The czech pile player in my meta is prob my closest friend and very good on top of knowing my BS well.

Any time I play against other players on the same, I usually do much better.

I am still interested in the tech as well. This deck feels like you can jam 20-30 different cards and still go off most times.

Yep, I'm still on shreds. Sometimes I'm light on sorceries but its working well for me now. They replaced faithless looting in my deck. It's not a slam dunk all star, IMO, but it is a strong contender. I do agree with you on AOI, though. I think that needs to stay x4. On thing I might try is going to a 3/3 mix of the reducers.

List for reference from a few pages back:

11 Mountain
    4 ancient tomb
    2 helm of awakening
    4 ruby medallion
    4 seething song
    4 desperate ritual
    4 rite of flame
    4 lotus petal
    4 manamorphose
    4 gitaxian probe
    4 burning wish
    4 act on impulse
    3 past in flames
    2 Hazoret's undying fury
    2 shreds of sanity
    1 empty the warrens

Sideboard:

1 Goblin war strike
    1 Hazoret's Undying fury
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Reforge the soul
    1 By force
    3 guttersnipe
    3 defense grid
    1 pyroclasm
    1 past in flames

Wheel/draw/cantrips:
    16 (counting shreds, not counting wishes)

Mana generators:
    20, counting lotus petals

I did get one mizzix's in but I haven't had time to test it out yet. I may pull my hazoret's out of the SB and replace it there. I will say the 2 HUF in the main seem to be working though. I know this group is love/hate on them it seems, and i'm not love for 4, but I am love for 2 MD.

I haven't played compacta_d's list yet, but i'm thinking it plays a little bit differently. Between the reforge/LED/Faithless, that one seems to be an all in on getting cards in the yard then bringing them back with a mizzix, whereas the other ones have an option of casting from the hand/SB if the mana works out. Is that a correct statement? Just trying to get a read on it from looking at list. That isn't my strong point so i'm just trying to clarify my understanding haha. But the more I think about it, the more I think mizzix's is a VERY strong card but changes the deck to more of an all in combo finish vs this one that has the option to drop a smaller EtW if it can't go off this turn.
    Last edited by ronco; 01-17-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: better organization of word vomit

3-1 at weekly.

Beat pile 2-0
    Beat eldrazi post 2-1
    Beat aggro loam 2-1
    Lose to pile 0-2

Other than suspense, I do think you should share just to get more data. I do 2x weeklies a week and can get lots quick.

I don't do MTGO though.

I've been gold fishing a list similar to compacta_d's list, -2 Faithless Looting, +2 Guttersnipe.

It's awesome. Usually around a t3 kill, it's very self-gratifying in a way similar to manaless dredge, can take a while doing stuff without doing anything until it's over. Often times, it appears that the combo win is present, but there''s more gas, so why not keep going and exhaust all the lines of play. By t5, there''s often only <10 cards left in library, which I view as a good thing, given a number of rocks and petals/led/snipes in play.

I do wonder on the fearless aspect, will only come with actual games. Manaless tendencies to just jam don't always feel right, but not every player will have FoW, or flusterstorm up.

Waiting on my AoI's in the mail, along with Shreds. Not sure where I'd put Shreds in the current deck.

Also, mizzix is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    I've been gold fishing a list similar to compacta_d's list, -2 Faithless Looting, +2 Guttersnipe.

It's awesome. Usually around a t3 kill, it's very self-gratifying in a way similar to manaless dredge, can take a while doing stuff without doing anything until it's over. Often times, it appears that the combo win is present, but there''s more gas, so why not keep going and exhaust all the lines of play. By t5, there''s often only <10 cards left in library, which I view as a good thing, given a number of rocks and petals/led/snipes in play.

I do wonder on the fearless aspect, will only come with actual games. Manaless tendencies to just jam don't always feel right, but not every player will have FoW, or flusterstorm up.

Waiting on my AoI's in the mail, along with Shreds. Not sure where I'd put Shreds in the current deck.

Also, mizzix is awesome.
    Yeah I've definitely had games where I've had to count how many cards are left in the library for fear of Reforging my soul out of the game.

Flusterstorm isn't a problem for this deck. Play it up and see how many times you have 10+man available when you fire the kill spell.

Or post sb when you have defense grid.

Flusterstorm is best used on the first ritual for us. Or trying to catch a key draw spell etc.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Here's my current list, 5 reducers, 18 rituals counting Manamorphose, 11 cantrips/draw, 9 engine pieces, 14 lands, 3 threats main (Empty.)

4x Ruby Medallion
    1x Helm of Awakening

4x Rite of Flame
    4x Seething Song
    4x Lotus Petal
    1x Simian Spirit Guide
    1x Desperate Ritual

4x Gitaxian Probe
    3x Overmaster
    4x Act on Impulse
    4x Manamorphose

3x Past in Flames
    1x Hazoret’s Undying Fury
    1x Gamble
    4x Burning Wish
    3x Empty the Warrens

10x Mountain
    4x Crystal Vein

Sideboard
    1x Goblin War Strike
    1x Past in Flames
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Cave-In
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    1x By Force
    1x Reforge the Soul
    2x Blood Moon
    1x Guttersnipe
    1x Tormod’s Crypt
    2x Scab-Clan Berserker
    1x ensnaring bridge

I will likely go -1 Empty the Warrens, -1 Gamble/Overmaster, +2 Shreds of Sanity. Shreds seems to be much better at filling in the gaps than Gamble, especially if I punt and then I need to restart. I've been grinding away at another deck lately, but this deck is still on my radar screen.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Other than suspense, I do think you should share just to get more data. I do 2x weeklies a week and can get lots quick.

I don't do MTGO though.
    sorry, i haven't played much in the last few months. this was my 4th time playing magic since my son was born in may. (i did do a bunch of modo back in july, but that came to abrupt stop when he became more human.)
    -rob

sorry, i haven't played much in the last few months. this was my 4th time playing magic since my son was born in may. (i did do a bunch of modo back in july, but that came to abrupt stop when he became more human.)
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if you mentioned and I congratulated you.

Thread Information