Page 76 of 98 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    good to know though that with bonus round + wish you have almost a 100% win rate. that's pretty amazing as it requires almost no cards to execute.

with ruby:

cast bonus round + wish (RRR), then you just need RR or if you already have cast a RoF you only need R.

pretty amazing.

i think what can be important from your data is to help better understand what matchups are actually weak and focus on those. with non-blue matchups above 60-70% it might be worth sacrificing some of what makes those matchups so good to help compensate for some other cards that will improve the blue ones. (Reanimator will always be a balls to the wall sb approach.)

-Rob
    Yeah, I can't recall a single time that bonus round hazoret failed me, so the 7% failure rate is from single hazoret only.

The hard part with the bad (and less good) matchups is that they are so... diverse. What's good against non blue is mostly the cards that give speed, like desperate ritual. But speed is important in blue matchups as well. The only matchup where I feel I can play for the long game is grixis. Miracles snowballs so fast these days with AKs.
    Maybe I could cut the echoing truths and just try to race hate and get more sb space that way, but really don't know what to add to help vs the bad matchups. But that's part of the fun :)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

played in a local 4 round event today.

short recap:

r1: miracles (2-1)
    r2: bug control (1-2)
    r3: miracles (2-0)
    r4: miracles (2-1)

long recap:

round 1:

g1: i mulled to 5 and had one reforge, which was FoW'd.
    g2: i didn't take notes on this, but what i recall from this is game 1 involved a resolved ruby medallion. i believe i killed an early monastery mentor with a lightning bolt. then i was able to kill him with some bonus round lightning bolts.
    g3: game was pretty drawn out, eventually i resolved a guttersnipe and killed him through leyline of sanctity and some surgicals. (i believe he surgical'd some ramp spells and/or manamorphoses. i think scroll rack resolved in this game. i also resolved a few red blasts/pyroblasts.

round 2:

g1: he had a lot of counter magic, but he didn't have any threats and i was able to goldfish over several turns.
    g2: my hand was okay, but he had all the counters and kept my ruby's off the board. i died to angler. i killed 2 leovolds and a jace.
    g3: i had a line where he was tapped out. i had a kill with wish-> tendrils for lethal, but i needed to manamorphose into anything that would net me +1 mana. i whiffed. over a few more turns i had some outs, but he had enough counters and some threats.

round 3:
    g1: took a while, and i almost punted the game on a single turn. we were playing draw go quite a bit. eventually he had a counterbalance out and i had enough cards to push through all the counters with past in flames. i cast burning wish and he flips jace. a bit problematic as most of my cards here are 4cc. (i could have gone for empty, but didn't want to risk it). i took past in flames and then activated my scroll rack (not sure why i wanted to dig one more). then he cast jace and fatesealed! ugh that felt really bad. over the next 5-6 turns he had jace up to 13, but with scroll rack i was able to find one of my 2 maindeck past in flames. totally stole that one.
    g2: i had a pretty solid goldfishing hand, he tapped out for counterbalance and only had a white open. i cast red blast to counter it, and he forced the red blast. i then cast bonus round and a bunch of rite of flames (even w/ counterbalance revealing 1.) then cast past in flames and killed him after flipping 12 and finding a confluence.

round 4:
    g1: opponent played turn 3 monastery mentor and killed me on turn 5.
    g2: went back and forth with draw go style. sandstone needles and ancient tombs made up for my lack of land drops on several turns. drew 3 ruby medallions and the 3rd one stuck. when he got low on counterspells, i cast a guttersnipe and forced with backup. after that he only had 2 flusterstorms in hand. i was able to pay for the 2nd one (i was casting burning wish and got PiF). i then bolted his clique and passed the turn. he had 0 cards and drew mentor. i cast pif the next turn and won pretty easily as he had no interaction.
    g3: i had a pretty decent hand and he had a hand with just cantrips. he couldn't find any kind of interaction with me and i cast a guttersnipe. he cast mentor and passed the turn looking to race. i fortunately had a bunch of rite of flame, desperate ritual, act on impulse (3 of them) and was able to deal 20 with just the guttersnipe and the rituals/AoI, although i did have a past in flames as well.

list:
    (61 cards)
    4 burning wish
    4 act on impulse
    4 bonus round
    4 reforge the soul
    4 manamorphose
    4 seething song
    4 desperate ritual
    4 ruby medallion
    4 lotus petal
    3 rite of flame
    3 lion's eye diamond
    2 past in flames
    2 lightning bolt
    1 scroll rack
    4 sandstone needle
    4 ancient tomb
    6 mountain

sb:
    1 past in flames
    1 tendrils of agony
    1 fiery confluence
    1 hazoret's undying fury
    1 rite of flame
    1 grapeshot
    1 empty the warrens
    2 abrade
    2 red elemental blast
    2 pyroblast
    2 guttersnipe

sbing vs these decks.
    i tended to cut the 3 led's, 1 desperate ritual, 2 bonus round, 2 reforge the soul, and vs the bug deck i also cut 1 pif. 9 cards at most. if i wanted to bringin more than 9 cards i just played with more cards in the deck (i think i even had up to 63 cards during some of the miracles games on the draw). vs decks with slow clocks i don't mind missing some land drops if it means i can have a higher threat count.

Led's today were pretty unspectacular, it could be because i didn't require speed in my draws. it could also be that they just don't really fit the needs of the deck. there are times when i'm playing where Act on Impulse is significantly better with LED's, but maybe it's not worth it.

In hindsight the guttersnipes were quite excellent vs these decks and given how popular they are in large events (miracles and control in general), i would probably consider running 2 guttersnipe maindeck and potentially a 3rd bolt. (i do like 61 cards, but otherwise just don't add the 3rd bolt). it could also be a 15th land if you are a big more on the safe side.

sb felt really good, with 2 snipes moving to the maindeck, that opens up 2 more slots. could make sense to put some graveyard hate then for the inevitable reanimator decks. 2 surgical is probably fine, although tormod's crypt is also very good, especially with reforge the soul.

sorry for the lack of tags, didn't feel like putting in the extra effort.

edit:

scroll rack was also excellent.

next proposed list: (not to say LED is not great in this deck, i think it has a lot of merit, but will try without for the sake of playing more business spells.) could also just run the current list a few more times to see how it goes.

list:
    (61 cards)
    4 burning wish
    4 act on impulse
    4 bonus round
    4 reforge the soul
    4 manamorphose
    4 seething song
    4 desperate ritual
    4 ruby medallion
    4 lotus petal
    3 rite of flame
    2 guttersnipe
    2 past in flames
    3 lightning bolt
    1 scroll rack
    4 sandstone needle
    4 ancient tomb
    6 mountain

sb:
    1 past in flames
    1 tendrils of agony
    1 fiery confluence
    1 hazoret's undying fury
    1 rite of flame
    1 grapeshot
    1 empty the warrens
    2 abrade
    2 red elemental blast
    2 pyroblast
    2 tormod's crypt
    Last edited by mistercakes; 12-01-2018 at 06:42 PM.
    -rob

Just found the deck like a month ago. Will post my list for discussion. Havn't really fiddled with it too much, just keeps on giving me good results. Data is not collected but my feel is its a high win percentage. Some matchups are horrible in my experience, like BR-reanimator. Also would like to add some blasts in the board for miracles, just so annyoing getting jaces and cb on the battlefield. Also apex is a bit win-more, but actually helps some matchups where you dont want to give your opp 7 cards.

bolts main will never get cut, helps vs hatebears and also wincons with bonus rounds.

main:

3 Rite of Flame
    1 Desperate Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    3 Bonus Round
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Act on Impulse
    2 Tormenting Voice

2 Lightning Bolt

2 Past in Flames
    3 Reforge the Soul
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Empty the Warrens

4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Ancient Tomb
    10 Mountain

sb:
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Apex of Power
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Grapeshot
    2 By Force
    1 Rite of Flame
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Reforge the Soul
    2 Defense Grid
    1 Cave-In

I must test guttersnipe, my last league I decided to put 4 scab clan berserkers in the board to bring in vs combo/reanimator/control. It actually worked really good game 2 vs miracles and reanimator. I think I will try guttersnipes the next league. Really uncertain if maindeck is good when it turns on all maindeck removal... my baral experiments turned out really bad because of bolt/plow.

It's cool that everyone but me seems to like bolt. Must test them again. To me it seems like they are to orthogonal to the main game plan. But they must be a lot better when playing guttersnipes.

Will also try REB when I get the time. Worse than fluster vs storm/reanimator but better vs control/delver. I probably should think more about how much better a certain matchup becomes by using a sideboard card. 5% improvement vs miracles is a lot better than 5% vs show and tell.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I would probably keep my maindeck as is right now before trying things out, but the bolts and blasts were really good. I even won a game without casting burning wish. (I think!)
    -rob

I've tried out 1 REB in the board instead of one flusterstorm and it have felt so good to me in the 5-6 matches i boarded it in. Even tho i actually only cast it once, and then flusterstorm would have been equally good. It's really strange, mostly it felt good sitting in my hand, knowing that if my opponent slams jace i can stop it. But also an edge case but one that comes up sometimes is when both me and my opponent is at 4 mana, i cast seething song and they respond with snapcaster - flusterstorm. Flusterstorm from my side cant stop that as they have 1 mana up and i have none. REB stops the snapcaster. I still gonna play some amount of flusterstorm for the storm matchup. But i'm glad that i tried REB again and it's a good case of when theory and practice not always aligns.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

also worth maybe noting, pyroblast, while it can be misdirected onto any card/spell, can generate a storm count (just target a land). i ran 2/2 to avoid surgical.

also - counterbalance can be easily stopped if you have a bonus round + red blast (since the copy will kill the counterbalance). not huge but still came up.
    -rob

Yeah, my reason for running REB were the price difference on MTGO :)(~5 tix vs ~0 tix) still trying to not spend any additional money on it, and after a couple of 2-3 leagues I'm running on fumes :)

Ran a league now with 2 bolts and a guttersnipe main and 1 sideboard. Cut 1 brainstorm, 1 reforge and 1 island from the main, did not spend much thought on what to cut.

I went 2-3, it's hard to tell after only 5 games, but i will try it one more league i think. Guttersnipe main i think is wrong, i killed with it once but mostly it was just killed directly. I had some situations where i think i misplayed because i _wanted_ to use guttersnipe, even tho i could have used other lines. I think i like it in the board tho, as it's a must counter threat if opponent has sideboarded out all creature removal. Bolt felt good, killed with it twice, killed gaddok teeg and thalia, pyromancer, snapcaster. But still not really sure if it's good enough. When i killed with it almost any card would have won the game, like overmaster/preordain. And the games vs blue decks where i killed creatures i still lost the game. Definitely good vs hatecreatures, but already have quite good matchup vs those. Well, more testing will tell.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i like the idea of bonus round + bonus round + reforge -> draw into 2 bolts. win at instant speed. :)
    -rob

For those who like act on impulse, the first card was spoiled for RVA:

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoi...ght-the-stage/

2R - Sorcery
    Spectacle: R.
    Exile the top 2 cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn you may play those cards.

On its own not good enough, but depending on how the "spectacle" keyword comes out, if its an alternate casting cost, this might prove useful? Maybe the extra turn might be worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

That's awesome. This is what I love about this deck the most. So many new toys to actually play with several times a year.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

My guess is based on the text spectacle may allow you to cast it on someone else's turn.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Whatever the stipulation for the spectacle keyword it's likely worth it for the R casting cost. Maybe you have to reveal a red card from your hand?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Oh, i hope it's an alternative casting cost, one that can be abused, like return a spell you control to hand. But it seems more like an additional cost. But let's hope! If it without to big drawback let's you cast it for R i think it will definitely have a place!

Confirmed, the spectacle cost is an alternate cost that can be paid if an opponent lost life this turn.

source: other spoiled card with reminder/rules text. So, might still be useful in bolt/snipe builds. Maybe.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Confirmed, the spectacle cost is an alternate cost that can be paid if an opponent lost life this turn.

source: other spoiled card with reminder/rules text. So, might still be useful in bolt/snipe builds. Maybe.
    Guttersnipe is looking a lot more interesting now!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

No idea if this card will see play, but I'm sure people will brew with it nonetheless:

Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
    WU
    LEgend - human soldier
    Each opponent can't cast noncreature spells with CMC greater than the number of lands they control.
    When an opponent casts a spell, if no mana was spent to cast it, counter that spell.

Fortunately, dies to bolt!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

will explore back to the guttersnipe builds when this card comes out. i have been running a few guttersnipes in the sb and they rarely disappoint.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    will explore back to the guttersnipe builds when this card comes out. i have been running a few guttersnipes in the sb and they rarely disappoint.
    I've been on 3 Snipes in the board since Bonus Round was printed, dropping the Pyroblasts and an Ensnaring Bridge. I like that if Snipe isn't countered then the engine cards are likely to get by uncountered. Starting the chain with a Rite of Flame, deal 2 damage with Snipe, get the cheap spectacle cost with a mini-Act on Impulse.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information