Page 55 of 98 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Re: Ruby Storm

The great thing about this card is it triggers off of opponents counterspells and brainstorms on your turn, so it's a bit of a defence grid, i think that makes it worth trying out at least. Seems less fragile than Guttersnipe.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

excellent point, i missed that.

it's probably best as a sb card vs decks like miracles. (where they have a ton of countermagic. i'd much rather run this over defense grid.)

(edit, also 100k views on the thread in less than a year. that's pretty sweet!)
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'll be grabbing a set of these, at least for testing purposes. I think it's probably a sideboard option, similar to Guttersnipe. I like that it's resilient to removal, even abrupt decay, but I don't like that it's 4 mana and *not* red for Ruby Medallion. We just have to decide if the Helms are justified or if they offset the gain by providing a mana boost for opponents.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

So this thing is just absurd right?

Oh yeah, I think this is it. This might just be the boost we needed. It's as if someone at WotC thought "that mono red storm deck looks pretty cool, let's throw them a bone."

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Oh yeah, I think this is it. This might just be the boost we needed. It's as if someone at WotC thought "that mono red storm deck looks pretty cool, let's throw them a bone."
    Right?

This is a pyromancers Ascension that you don't need to work hard at to get on line and can be fetched with Burning Wish.

It turns Manamorphose and Probe into completely absurd cards as well.

If you cast a second one in a turn all your spells are copied x3 times.

The big question is if you splash black or not or stick to mono red.

I think this fundamentally changes this deck in a significant way, it also lets you avoid graveyard hate if you need too.

Might not play well with LED but that might be ok.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post

Pretty sure this is exactly what the deck needed. Doubling draw triggers from GitProbe, double mana/draw from Manamorphose, getting 2 copies of Hazoret's Undying fury...this deck could already combo off with a low threshold, this makes it even easier.

Welcome to the new age of Ruby Storm boys. Get your sets now!

EDIT: This card single-handedly makes Pyro Ascension obsolete btw...
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Right?

This is a pyromancers Ascension that you don't need to work hard at to get on line and can be fetched with Burning Wish.

It turns Manamorphose and Probe into completely absurd cards as well.

If you cast a second one in a turn all your spells are copied x3 times.

The big question is if you splash black or not or stick to mono red.

I think this fundamentally changes this deck in a significant way, it also lets you avoid graveyard hate if you need too.

Might not play well with LED but that might be ok.
    Jesus.Fucking.Christ. I didn't even realize it was a sorcery for Burning Wish. I can answer your black splash question: completely unnecessary at this point. There are now 3 complete engines to make the deck work: Hazoret's Undying Fury, Past in Flames, and now this. Who needs Brainstorm when you have up to 12 copies of your key engine card, making it likely you'll get one in your opener a high percentage of the time? No more durdles, lets get right to t2 loops that make judges cry.
    Brainstorm Realist

I was just coming here to post that, glad to see I was beaten to the punch. This Is awesome and I can't wait to see Act on Impulse doubled.

Though upon reading it there is a potential issue. It doubles opponents spells as well. Brainstorm into force or dear god Flusterstorm could be a headache, or potentially worth it.

First guess? Make enough room to try them main, and then depending on how that goes find out if it's a wish only card, a 2/4 of, or for a different deck entirely. Ur storm with epic experiment? Etc.

That artifact is pretty nifty too.

OOH I'm definitely taking this deck for a whirl again with these hot new cards.

Also going to try Brain Freeze. Not sure why I didn't think of it before, but with decent mana it basically digs for Past In Flames real hard. Can also be a win condition mixed in with some Reforges.

edit- I sold off my LEDS though. I am on poor man's version.

Though with that new Tower you WANT spells not rocks.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    OOH I'm definitely taking this deck for a whirl again with these hot new cards.

Also going to try Brain Freeze. Not sure why I didn't think of it before, but with decent mana it basically digs for Past In Flames real hard. Can also be a win condition mixed in with some Reforges.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think any splash is needed for this deck anymore. How are we *not* getting absurd storm counts and finishing with Grapeshot easily?

Oh and BTW, Hazoret's can flip this and cast it as well...

EDIT: Preordered my set from SCG. I don't normally do this, but damn...
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthawk View Post
    I was just coming here to post that, glad to see I was beaten to the punch. This Is awesome and I can't wait to see Act on Impulse doubled.

Though upon reading it there is a potential issue. It doubles opponents spells as well. Brainstorm into force or dear god Flusterstorm could be a headache, or potentially worth it.

First guess? Make enough room to try them main, and then depending on how that goes find out if it's a wish only card, a 2/4 of, or for a different deck entirely. Ur storm with epic experiment? Etc.

That artifact is pretty nifty too.
    In my list it will take the place of some number of Empty the Warrens, and definitely x1 in the sideboard FOR SURE.
    Brainstorm Realist

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

I like both of these for this deck, just gotta make em fit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

I still think Tendrils is best wincon.

Deck can fizzle with grapeshot. Not likely but I've had it happen. I've also had it happen where grapeshot got me out of a bind Tendrils would NOT have. New Tower is definitely an amazing 4 drop (ahem 2-3 drop) that can turn a probe into an Urza's Rage.

I think a single U mana is easy enough to generate and can add consistency with Past in Flames. Dig for PIF, then storm out mill opponent. Wheel's help.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    I still think Tendrils is best wincon.

Deck can fizzle with grapeshot. Not likely but I've had it happen. I've also had it happen where grapeshot got me out of a bind Tendrils would NOT have. New Tower is definitely an amazing 4 drop (ahem 2-3 drop) that can turn a probe into an Urza's Rage.

I think a single U mana is easy enough to generate and can add consistency with Past in Flames. Dig for PIF, then storm out mill opponent. Wheel's help.
    Agreed, I wasn't considering Tendrils a black splash. I now see you don't see Freeze as a blue splash really, either. I've been posting like crazy, this new card has my blood up.

I just mean we don't need to fool around with Dark Petition or other non-win-condition off-color cards. Win conditions that Manamorphose and Lotus Petal facilitate are fine (Tendrils, Brain Freeze, etc.) but we have plenty of engines to make the deck run now.
    Brainstorm Realist

I think Overmaster is worth revisiting, because we really want Bonus Round to resolve.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

I think Overmaster is worth revisiting, because we really want Bonus Round to resolve.
    Worth testing for sure.

Desperate Ritual's stock goes way up with Bonus Round as well, if you can splice it, you get 12 mana, which is just nuts.

Could be that a more ritual based version with less Petals and LED's is the correct way to go.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthawk View Post
    If they have a counter they have to counter the Bonus Round, if you've already resolved it, their counter counters the two copies you already made, so it won't be enough to really hinder you at all. That's my gut feeling anyway. It's essentially the same, instead of one counter for one threat, you have 2 counters for 2 threats so the math isn't really different.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think the new cards can be tested. not sure if it makes ascension obsolete per say. you still need to cast this card first, and then resolve a mana spell immediately after. vs counter magic this is a lot of mana invested in for the first spell.

if i'm testing the new cards it would be something like this:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 19 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Sentinel Tower
    3 Helm of Awakening

// 8 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose

// 14 Land
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb

// 19 Sorcery
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Gamble

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Silent Gravestone

// 2 Instant
    SB: 1 Abrade

// 12 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Bonus Round
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Cave-In
    SB: 1 Pyroclasm
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Gamble
    SB: 1 Dark Petition

you could also consider running 1 reiterate as it combos with a rock out for

RR3 + casting cost of seething song with a rock out (1R). this allows you to cast seething song, copy it while it's on the stack, resolve the reiterate with buyback, and copy the seething song over and over again. this will net you 0 mana overall, but will kill with this card out or something like guttersnipe. (it's nothing new, but it's fun)

if i'm looking to copy my spells, i'm pretty sure this new spell can fit as a wish target, but i'm not sure it makes it to the main deck.

i suppose you can run some desperate rituals over the LED's, but i like being able to play a little more risky with AoI. this allows me to cast it blind and hope to hit petals/led's instead of only having petals as an out for an initial mana source.

anyway. really excited there's some new things to test and i hope other people can put in some effort, as i'm still finding it difficult to find time to play.

as an aside the deck has still come a long way!

here's my original notes from last june:

4 rite of flame
    4 desperate ritual
    4 seething song
    2 pyretic ritual
    4 manamorphose
    4 ruby medallion
    4 hazoret's undying fury
    4 pyromancer ascension
    3 past in flames
    4 grapeshot
    3 lightning bolt
    2 reforge the soul
    4 lotus petal
    14 lands
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I agree. Like all storm decks, this one is based on critical mass. So rather than have protection, we can just jam engines until one resolves...or we can get our cantrip count higher (especially when Overmaster draws us 2+ cards with Bonus Round.) I really want to jam a full set of Overmaster, and I probably will sacrifice slots to Empty the Warrens to make it work. I might even just go down to 1x Warrens in the sideboard.

Rough list:

4x Rite of Flame
    3x Desperate Ritual
    4x Seething Song

4x Ruby Medallion
    1x Helm of Awakening

4x Act on Impulse
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Manamorphose
    2x Overmaster

4x Burning Wish
    3x Past in Flames
    2x Bonus Round
    3x Hazoret's Undying Fury

4x Crystal Vein
    10x Mountain

Sideboard
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Reforge the Soul
    1x Bonus Round
    1x Pyroclasm
    1x By Force
    1x Cave-In
    3x Guttersnipe
    2x Scab-Clan Berserker
    2x Pyroblast

I think the potential for HUF to get out of hand is worth the 3 copies. Maybe only 2, but I've been meaning to test more copies lately anyways. I can see whiffing a little on 4 cards from HUF, but I can't see that happening too often with 8 free spells. Imagine flipping a Bonus Round with HUF, stacking it on top, and getting double on the other 3 potential spells.

I just want to jam engines, and for that reason I think only 2 Overmaster is needed. This deck is pure gas, everything is either mana, draw, or a kill condition.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information