Page 95 of 98 FirstFirst ... 45859192939495969798 LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

I was thinking a bit more about Jeska's Will.

An added bonus of this card is that prior to it, I was running a Rite of Flame in the sb. What this did is allow you to have a play like.

Seething song -> Bonus Round -> LED -> Burning Wish -> crack RRR in response. Get Rite of Flame and something else. (Usually it was Hazoret's Undying Fury)

Now the deck can run a much more versatile sideboard slot in Jeska's Will, which in almost all cases will allow for that same play. It also now allows you to get an effect of a draw spell, and something you can just Wish for on turn 2.

Getting the 4th rite of flame in the maindeck is huge as well. (which doesn't really need an explanation)

I would propose the following list for testing.

// 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 2 Creature
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

// 9 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    1 Desperate Ritual

// 14 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Sandstone Needle
    6 Mountain

// 21 Sorcery
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Act on Impulse
    3 Jeska's Will
    2 Hazoret's Undying Fury

sb would have at a minimum:

1 grapeshot
    1 tendrils of agony
    1 empty the warrens
    1 jeska's will
    1 past in flames

and then there's some which are almost always going to make it into the sb
    1 cave-in
    1 by force/shattering spree
    X defense grid/blasts/empty the warrens
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I was thinking a bit more about Jeska's Will.

An added bonus of this card is that prior to it, I was running a Rite of Flame in the sb. What this did is allow you to have a play like.

Seething song -> Bonus Round -> LED -> Burning Wish -> crack RRR in response. Get Rite of Flame and something else. (Usually it was Hazoret's Undying Fury)

Now the deck can run a much more versatile sideboard slot in Jeska's Will, which in almost all cases will allow for that same play. It also now allows you to get an effect of a draw spell, and something you can just Wish for on turn 2.

Getting the 4th rite of flame in the maindeck is huge as well. (which doesn't really need an explanation)

I would propose the following list for testing.

// 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 2 Creature
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

// 9 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    1 Desperate Ritual

// 14 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Sandstone Needle
    6 Mountain

// 21 Sorcery
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Act on Impulse
    3 Jeska's Will
    2 Hazoret's Undying Fury

sb would have at a minimum:

1 grapeshot
    1 tendrils of agony
    1 empty the warrens
    1 jeska's will
    1 past in flames

and then there's some which are almost always going to make it into the sb
    1 cave-in
    1 by force/shattering spree
    X defense grid/blasts/empty the warrens
    With act on impulse being strictly worse than than jeskas will, which one do you want in the sideboard? Where do you prefer the flexibility?

Also this deck seems like it might benefit a lot from a few valakut awakening over a few of the worse accelerants.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    With act on impulse being strictly worse than than jeskas will, which one do you want in the sideboard? Where do you prefer the flexibility?

Also this deck seems like it might benefit a lot from a few valakut awakening over a few of the worse accelerants.
    Opening hand on the play. Ancient Tomb, bonus round, Simian spirit guide, sandstone needle, jeska's will, burning wish, past in flames.

What's the glass cannon play with act on impulse in the sb?

What's the glass cannon play with jeska's will in the sb?
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

with jeska in the sb
    <spoiler>
    tomb, simian, jeska for 7, wish for jeska. cast jeska. (9 mana now). cast PiF (5). flashback Jeska (9 again). cast bonus round (6), flaskback other jeska for 6 cards and hope to win with RRR and 6 new cards.
    </spoiler>

with RoF in sb and 4 jeska maindeck
    <spoiler>
    tomb simian, jeska (7), bonus round (4), wish (2) for RoF and Hazoret's undying fury.

cast RoF (5), cast past in flames (R).

flashback RoF (4)
    flashback Jeska for mana (15 mana)

cast hazoret's for 8 cards. (9 mana left).

if for some reason you brick and hit 8 lands or just petals/leds and lands/ruby, then as long as you hit some mana, you can flashback past in flames (4 left) and flashback hazoret's.

</spoiler>
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 11-02-2020 at 07:04 AM.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I would love to read your notes, however...I can't see it.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Highlight them.

Also, I think the new wheel could be placed in a guttersnipe version like vieko promoted a while back. You'll likely always have more life if guttersnipe is resolved first.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i'm pretty sure i'm wrong about putting 1 of the new AoI in the sb. being able to get +4 mana instead of +2 on turn 1 (compared vs seething song) is probably significant enough to keep them all in the maindeck. that being said i'm not sure i want to have a rite of flame in the sb.

i'm thinking of 3 different ways to take the deck experimentally

1) max out on past in flames
    2) max out on empty the warrens
    3) play a guttersnipe build which has access to the new wheel

(keep in mind guttersnipe was great for me out of the sb against a lot of decks)
    -rob

As long as bonus round is in the deck I think it's wrong to not have RoF in the board. Doubling a wish with 1 floating gives lots of goblins or my favourite if I could play 20 card sideboard, pirates pillage. Two floating gives PIF or a wheel.

I also think guttersnipe is worse than ever now when most decks need to answer a t2 arcanist, and most answers to that also stops guttersnipe.

I also dislike empty as there are many matchups that come down to a race.

So of the 3, I like PiF the best.

I have 3 builds of my own that I would like to test.
    1) My regular UR with jeskai's will instead of desperate ritual.
    2) A mono red LED build with faithless looting and ignite the future and the kaheera force of vigor package.
    3) some kind of wild burn heavy build, probably without bonus round and not really ruby at all. But something to really make the most of the new wheel.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

that's fair and those ideas are likely dead ends. don't underestimate guttersnipe, especially in a version with bolts.

one idea that worked really well for me a few years ago was using pyromancer ascension. that was however when probe was legal. i'm not sure how it would be now and never put in games afterwards.

it's possible that the rite of flame should stay in the sb. i guess it opens up far too many plays and now with the new wheel if you're ahead in life you can get 14 cards with just R after wish.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Talk to me about this card:

It is a way to grind longer games, provides card advantage, and is a win-condition. I could see this as being a way to fight through blue-stew decks. We could sideboard into Court of Ire + Ensnaring Bridge, changing our entire game plan from storm to just landing bombs. Just a thought, it seems very good. It might be better in something like Moon Stompy...which we could absolutely sideboard into. We could play Blood Moon + Ensnaring Bridge + Court of Ire. I'm not saying it's good, but I'm saying it sounds interesting, and fun.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I see it as a viable sb plan. With seething song and the new AOI, a deck with lotus petal and Simian Spirit Guide and play this turn 2 very easily, with many times turn 1.

Its possible maindeck is okay, but it likely won't get there often enough. Against fair decks with no maindeck answers to red enchantments, you will likely win the game after a few turns.

Overall I like the card and sb testing is merited.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Jeska's will on turn 1 into 6cc uncounterable Chandra seems backbreaking.
    -rob

I played a quick league to test out Jeska's Will, got a 1-4. List was monored with LEDs and 4xignite the future, 4x jeska's will. I did not have a fun time
    :(.
    In three of the matches I faced deafening silence. I hate that card. There is no magic played when that card is involved vs Ruby. Even if I have ways to remove it the game just comes down to if I can remove it before I die. There is no playing around, nothing, just sit and wait for my drawstep. I played 1 anarchy and 2 chaos warp in the sideboard to answer it. (had planned to play force of vigor +companion but force of vigor was to expensive). Even if it was unlucky facing a card that's only 10% of the meta in 60% of the games I just don't find enjoyment in playing Ruby when it's around.

Jeska's will is not a reliable mana source. Opponents mulligan, win the die roll and have a t1 play. I cast it for mana twice, once after a reforge and once on t1 on the play (but opponent had mulliganed to 5).

It's obvious that Jeska's will is better than AoI, but i've never liked AoI and i'm not sure it's _that_ much better so I want to play it. I hope more people test it and find a nice build, but I will keep Ruby on the shelf for now.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

That's too bad about deafening silence. Annoying card!
    -rob

So I'm new to Ruby Storm. I play Gifts Storm in Modern, and Ruby storm (especially when splashing blue) feels a lot like gifts. Has anyone tried splashing blue for more than just BS and Ponder? Could you add counterspells, or some form of tempo cards like remand? I'm really curious with this deck since it looks very fun and interesting to brew with.

Also, is there a discord for Ruby Storm or is it just here?

Always nice with new players!
    I've tried intuition, gifts, personal tutor, meditate, impulse, pieces of the puzzle, daze, spell pierce, flusterstorm and some more cards. The problem with the high costed ones is that they make it worth it for your opponent to board in pyroblast/REB. But most of my testing with these cards where pretty long ago. So things might work out differently now. Personal tutor has become better when it can tutor for mana through Jeska's will, so that might be nice to try out again. The best part about playing blue is obv the consistency gained by playing ponder/brainstorm, but also having catch all answers like echoing truth in the board is pretty nice.
    I encourage you to try out things and i would love if someone came up with a viable build :)

There is a channel in the storm discord (i can't invite from here), but it's pretty dead.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    Always nice with new players!
    I've tried intuition, gifts, personal tutor, meditate, impulse, pieces of the puzzle, daze, spell pierce, flusterstorm and some more cards. The problem with the high costed ones is that they make it worth it for your opponent to board in pyroblast/REB. But most of my testing with these cards where pretty long ago. So things might work out differently now. Personal tutor has become better when it can tutor for mana through Jeska's will, so that might be nice to try out again. The best part about playing blue is obv the consistency gained by playing ponder/brainstorm, but also having catch all answers like echoing truth in the board is pretty nice.
    I encourage you to try out things and i would love if someone came up with a viable build :)

There is a channel in the storm discord (i can't invite from here), but it's pretty dead.
    man personal tutor for a seething song is pretty huge. i really haven't touched the deck in a while!
    -rob

man personal tutor for a seething song is pretty huge. i really haven't touched the deck in a while!
    Personal tutor for reforge the soul seems even sweeter.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Personal tutor for reforge the soul seems even sweeter.
    this combo existed before, and i don't think was good enough. even miracles doesn't run this card, it's a bit of a trap, mostly due to sorcery speed.
    -rob

this combo existed before, and i don't think was good enough. even miracles doesn't run this card, it's a bit of a trap, mostly due to sorcery speed.
    Unban mystical tutor! I remember getting crushing by reanimator running it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Thread Information