Page 87 of 98 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

dunno if anyone is still interested in mono red build, but i think i would try this first:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 4 Creature
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

// 8 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose

// 13 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    9 Mountain

// 23 Sorcery
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Rite of Flame
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Bonus Round
    3 Timetwister
    3 Gamble
    3 Reforge the Soul
    2 Act on Impulse

// 14 Sideboard
    // 4 Artifact
    SB: 4 Defense Grid

// 10 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Timetwister
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul

what's cool here is reforge the soul can put echos in the graveyard as well and help find LED's. you're still playing the game of i'm going to cast as many spells as possible that are must counters. the added value here is that you reset your hand a few more times.

there are still other variants i'm sure for mono red that are a bit more dependent on goblins, but i never really get into that too much. there's also a chance you would want to run an intuition or two instead of some of the maindeck reforges as they can get guarantee wins after seething song -> bonus round -> manamorphose -> intuition.

intuition build would like this:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 4 Creature
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

// 10 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    2 Intuition

// 13 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Mountain
    3 Scalding Tarn
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Volcanic Island

// 21 Sorcery
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Rite of Flame
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Bonus Round
    3 Timetwister
    3 Gamble
    2 Reforge the Soul

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Artifact
    SB: 4 Defense Grid

// 11 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    -rob

I've been brewing a bit with the new timetwister as well, but actually not tested it that much in ruby but instead in a mono u(or well, splash for 4 gamble and a burning wish) shell with riddlesmith and helm of awakening + all fast artifact mana. It's really cool, but the main bottleneck is mana and i don't think that can be solved in legacy (for that build), if top still were legal i think that deck would be insane tho.

I've tested it a small bit in ruby. In some ways i think it's actually better in a mono red build with gambles, mainly because gamble is so strong and faithless looting have some nice synergy. I do think someone will come up with a build that will get it banned in the end, but it's probably not in ruby, but might be :)

Another thing, last week i missed tendrils for the first time. I've played over 1000 games with UR, and for the first time ever i got crop rotation > glacial chasm owned last week. The strange thing is that since then it happened two times more (and i've only played like 8 games). The second time i managed to draw the game due to 6x reforge when my opponent were at 41 cards and i was at 35 :) And just now i won by casting bonus round, reforge, into 2 more bonus rounds and a surgical and surgicalled x8 and then finishing with more reforge action. Even tho it's winnable i might add tendrils back, for a while :)

I'm still rocking mono-red.

I really do like the Timetwister varient, but am unsure about the double blue casting cost. Sure petals and manamorphose, but It seems that's going to be sitting in hand for a long time without being cast as a dead card.

I'm a much bigger fan of leaning heavily into the exile-can-be-cast cards. Commune with Lava, AoI, LutS, have been very very good to me, the synergy with LED is nigh perfection. If there were a reasonable way sans Timetwister to recycle LEDs, I'm very interested.

Also, surprised the mono-red deck is sans sandstone needle. After being suspicious at first of a counter depletion land, I've come to like them. Haven't experienced enough negative game interactions to warrant dropping them at the moment. What was your reasoning/cause to?

The cascade rebound card looks like filler. If we were still on probe and wanted an extra card just to be extra, that's what I'd play. It does nothing except blind flip the next spell, however, it does cycle lands to bottom of the deck, ditch to yard. But that's not a must fix instance in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    I've been brewing a bit with the new timetwister as well, but actually not tested it that much in ruby but instead in a mono u(or well, splash for 4 gamble and a burning wish) shell with riddlesmith and helm of awakening + all fast artifact mana. It's really cool, but the main bottleneck is mana and i don't think that can be solved in legacy (for that build), if top still were legal i think that deck would be insane tho.

I've tested it a small bit in ruby. In some ways i think it's actually better in a mono red build with gambles, mainly because gamble is so strong and faithless looting have some nice synergy. I do think someone will come up with a build that will get it banned in the end, but it's probably not in ruby, but might be :)

Another thing, last week i missed tendrils for the first time. I've played over 1000 games with UR, and for the first time ever i got crop rotation > glacial chasm owned last week. The strange thing is that since then it happened two times more (and i've only played like 8 games). The second time i managed to draw the game due to 6x reforge when my opponent were at 41 cards and i was at 35 :) And just now i won by casting bonus round, reforge, into 2 more bonus rounds and a surgical and surgicalled x8 and then finishing with more reforge action. Even tho it's winnable i might add tendrils back, for a while :)
    I like being able to win from multiple vantage points, damage (spells v. creatures), loss of life, milling deck (nice one, haven't done this one yet, how did you stop from milling yourself?). The more options you have, the better. And with BW, the SB really is part of the deck to take advantage of a miser's copy as required.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

yea i'm still testing the twister a bit more, i'm still on the fence about it. it might end up as a singleton in a build with more gambles, as i do like bonus round + gamble. sandstone is great, sometimes it can be rough. it's usually best against a deck like miracles or grixis control. last time i played vs miracles i got back2basics a bunch of times and it didn't feel so great!

given that the deck will always be a bit less consistent than the blue variant, you're probably better off running the needles. (if you are lucky that day, which the deck needs a little bit of luck in general then it will be great.)

with only 1 twister in the maindeck i don't feel as guilty running act on impulse. this way if you hit a gamble off of act on impulse, it's actually relevant. i'll need to do some more testing, but in all the testing i've done so far it really seems like belcher is the only real clear winner from this card (asides from the wishboard improving a bit.)

-rob

this would be my safe list

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 10 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    2 Desperate Ritual

// 15 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    9 Mountain
    2 Sandstone Needle

// 23 Sorcery
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Light Up the Stage
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Bonus Round
    2 Faithless Looting
    1 Empty the Warrens

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Instant
    SB: 1 Abrade
    SB: 2 Kozilek's Return
    SB: 1 Pyroblast

// 11 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Pulverize
    SB: 1 Exquisite Firecraft
    SB: 1 Echo of Eons

(firecraft is a bit of a flex spot here)
    -rob

Cliff notes version from yesterday, will post list and details later from magic fest kc.
    R1 vs auriok salvager/led/ballista/monastery mentor deck. This might have an official name but I don’t know it.
    L 1-2

R2 vs 4c loam
    W 2-0.

R3 vs burn
    L 0-2.

First time playing this deck vs real opponents. Made some bad misplays (R1) and don’t have an optimized version that was apparent vs burn R3. Played pox the rest of the day, but not because I was upset with the deck.

Updates:
    Decklist at the bottom
    R1G1 - Adam from STL on Monastery Mentor/Auriok Salvager. I am on the draw. I mull to 6. II don't remember the detail but I think I only had 1 mountain and was afraid to go to 5 on this deck. I do have notes that I got a t 1 ruby off AOI. His first 2 turns are sol lands and he lands a T2 Dominaria Karn. T3 he gets mentor out and drops some eggs to get tokens. I don't get my second red mana source until T4 which I think I needed for wheels if memory serves as I couldn't find gas. Next turn he gets his LED and Auriok and gets infinite tokens with prowress and runs me over.

R1G2 - on the play - I tomb and pass. He sol lands out a chalice on 1. T2 I mountain and pass, he mentors and pass. T3 I wish for by force to deal with the chalice. I don't recall what his T3 was but it wasn't major. T4 I hazoret into manamorphose, bonus round, Past in flames. Then I win from there.

R1G3 - on the draw - He t1 sol land ballista on 1. T2 he gets his salvager/LED combo and I'm dead. Nothing I could do to stop that one.
    0-1 match, 1-2 games.
    -----
    R2G1 vs Richard from KC area on 4C Loam. I am on the draw (This was a pattern all day) - We both drop lands T1 and he puts chalice on 1 on turn 2. Unlike the first game I have a bonus round on the ready so this chalice doesn't mean much. He dropped a Scooze but only had one mana up. Next turn I bonus rounded, did some things and grape shot him for 9 (wasn't sure if he was holding surgicals or anything - he wasn't) then hazoret into 2x AOI and a burning wish for tendrils which was game.

R2G2 - on the draw - T0 a leyline of the void. I t1 hazoret and whiffed on it. T2 i just played a mountain and passed. T3 i got 2 medallions up, one gets Ass Trophied but it gets me another land which helped me so that was fine. T4 I get another reducer back out, bonus round out, get 36 goblins, and he scoops after looking at his next card.
    1-1 Matches, 3-2 games.
    ----
    R3G1 - Harrison on Burn from KC area. I'm on the draw - He T1 gobling guide which gets me a mountain that I need (had 1 in hand). I don't do much first couple turns but he plays the 4 damage to all players burn spell to get himself to 16. I'm down to 10 or so I think but he still had plenty of cards in hadn. I get myself to 18 goblins off an EtW. He swings in with the guide and i chump block 2 to kill it (he already played a Light up the stage, so I didn't want him to get spectacle, not thinking he could just burn me for it, possible BIG misplay here). Next turn I go to crack back with 16 goblins and he uses his last mana to burn one of my tokens. I get him down to 3 (holding back 2 for I don't know what) but he has enough gas to finish me off before I get to my next turn.

R3G2 - He sides in Eidolon and gets it out T2. Being against burn i sided out bonus round and brought in guttersnipes, which I got out right after his eidolon. He bites the bullet to toast my 'snipe and i basically lose the game for him trying to fins an answer for the Eidolon (which mean churning for a wish for SB removal/Tendrils - went though a ton of cards and never found the wish).
    1-2 Matched, 3-4 games.
    ---

List:
    Main: 60
    11 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Desparate Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    3 Seethign Song
    3 Rite of Flame
    3 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    3 Past in Flames
    2 Helm of Awakening
    3 Reforge the Soul
    1 Empty the warrens
    3 Bonus Round

Side: 15
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Bonus Round
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Mizzix's Mastery
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 By Force
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    3 Guttersnipe
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury

No bolts in the main or SB might be a bad move. We'll see. But I had fun with it and there was one other player who looked like they were on the UR list. Many players commented on the deck and seemed excited to watch it, even the players it was going off on lol.
    Spent the rest of the day playing/testing pox and had similar results. 1-2 matches in tubro town, 1-1-1 in the 6PM legacy event.

Some misplays were probably not mulligan and possibly trying to go off too soon. Chalice on 1 isn't a problem if I can get a bonus round resolved, grave hate is also beatable as well, albeit more difficult. I think i may have been able to squeeze out a win on the first burn game with some different sequencing, but I'm also going of notes which were not kept very well so maybe not. Overall had a lot of fun with it, and it was my first time playing it against a real opponent so getting all my triggers and counts and everything was a bit of a pain but i managed it fairly well. Would have missed a few draw triggers on copies if it wasn't for the judge checking out our game, but it was mid going off so i think it was moot at that point.
    Last edited by ronco; 06-01-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

glad you could give it a shot!

in my experience the helm's are a bit overkill, and i would really never drop the 4th seething song. it allows too many kills with bonus round (and it allows you to convert ancient tomb mana into red very easily.) i'd definitely run the 4th song over the 2nd helm.

you can prob try cutting 1 hazoret's and 1 pif for 2 more empty, 2 bolts, or 1 and 1. (both are very good upgrades).

other than that you might want to consider cutting 1 land for a simian spirit guide, but 15 lands is also just fine.

last part is just practice! (which in my experience is mostly having a good understanding of opening hands. if you had a hard time setting up for later turn wins (like turn 2 or turn 3 or turn 4, you might want to consider 4 luts and 3 AoI. this will help smooth out your draws a bit more.

good luck with it :)
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think i'm more or less sold on the blue version for the time being. one due to a pain point, one due to some printings.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 14 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Desperate Ritual

// 13 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Mountain
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Arid Mesa

// 21 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Ponder
    2 Timetwister
    2 Gamble

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Instant
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Echoing Truth

// 2 Planeswalker
    SB: 2 Narset, Parter of Veils

// 9 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Gamble

the painpoint here is that there's too many games that come down to getting awkward draws with the deck, especially opening hands. the deck is extremely powerful (mono red), but variance is a bit too hard to account for.

+ with the new twister card i've wanted to play with gamble again for a while. with bonus round the cantrips can a lot more reliably use gamble as a tutor. the other main benefit of the blue is narset in the sb. i haven't had a chance to test her, and it's possible she should be maindeck (especially with LED and twister maindeck.)

will need to test more, but i'm most interesting in testing this list for now. the sb gamble could be just about anything though. maybe best as a third echoing truth.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    glad you could give it a shot!

in my experience the helm's are a bit overkill, and i would really never drop the 4th seething song. it allows too many kills with bonus round (and it allows you to convert ancient tomb mana into red very easily.) i'd definitely run the 4th song over the 2nd helm.

you can prob try cutting 1 hazoret's and 1 pif for 2 more empty, 2 bolts, or 1 and 1. (both are very good upgrades).

other than that you might want to consider cutting 1 land for a simian spirit guide, but 15 lands is also just fine.

last part is just practice! (which in my experience is mostly having a good understanding of opening hands. if you had a hard time setting up for later turn wins (like turn 2 or turn 3 or turn 4, you might want to consider 4 luts and 3 AoI. this will help smooth out your draws a bit more.

good luck with it :)
    I agree 100% on the 4th Seething song. I actually don't know why I don't have 4 in there. I think I put one in the SB once and then realized it wasn't a valid wish target (instant vs sorcery) and then moved it, or I pulled one for a bonus round. I really can't recall where I got rid of it. I didn't want to make too many changes to it last minute as I don't think I'm good enough to make those adjustments, minor as they may be, and play the deck effectively. So I left it and ran with it.

I agree on the practice part. Part of it is I just gold fish it and so its easy to say, oh, T1 this, t2 that, but without the interaction/ match ups, sideboard hate, or thinking about counter plays, I get a little flustered (ha!). So just getting used to playing live will go a long way. This weekend (magic fest) is my second time playing legacy with real opponents, so I'm just soaking in the experience when I can. Fun part about legacy - My friend is jamming standard decks and has run into, I think, 3-4 different decks all weekend in maybe 15-20 matches. I've played, I think, 11 different decks in 13 matches?

Mentor, Burn, 4C Loam, "15 post planeswalker" (new karn/Lattice variant), black/red goblins, grixis death's shadow, vial goblins (mono red), Canadian threshold/RUG Delver, new Karn/Lattice lock (another version of it), pox (mirror match), DnT. All decks i've never played before (but have obviously read about here on some of the more established ones). I'm having a blast.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    R1G2 - on the play - I tomb and pass. He sol lands out a chalice on 1. T2 I mountain and pass, he mentors and pass. T3 I wish for by force to deal with the chalice. I don't recall what his T3 was but it wasn't major. T4 I hazoret into manamorphose, bonus round, Past in flames. Then I win from there.

Chalice on 1 isn't a problem if I can get a bonus round resolved
    Thanks for the report! If i see correctly you have 4 cards in total at 1, so i would say that chalice on 1 isn't much of a problem even if you don't have bonus round :)
    Related information that can be easy to miss when playing in paper. If you have active bonus round and opponent has chalice for 1 and you cast ROF without any previous in the graveyard you actually get 3 mana. The chalice trigger resolves first binning the original, so when the copy resolves it checks the graveyard and sees one. Same with counterbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    Thanks for the report! If i see correctly you have 4 cards in total at 1, so i would say that chalice on 1 isn't much of a problem even if you don't have bonus round :)
    Related information that can be easy to miss when playing in paper. If you have active bonus round and opponent has chalice for 1 and you cast ROF without any previous in the graveyard you actually get 3 mana. The chalice trigger resolves first binning the original, so when the copy resolves it checks the graveyard and sees one. Same with counterbalance.
    I feel kinda dumb now going after the chalice in the first game. I'll chalk that up to general inexperience and not thinking about my deck list that way. Maybe I had a RoF in hand and needed it to go off, or just thought about mana cost with reducers and brain farted. Good call there haha. And good point about the triggers on chalice. I missed that when I went through it. Thanks!

Hi everybody!

Could you help me with my Mono Red Ledless version?

Which modifications can I try?

Main: 60
    6 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Sandstone Needle
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Desparate Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Light Up the Stage
    3 Bonus Round
    3 Lightning Bolt
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Reforge the Soul

Side: 15
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Bonus Round
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Cave-In
    1 By Force
    3 Defense Grid
    3 Guttersnipe

Cyah,

Lammina
    Keep Walking, Voidwalker! - Use bugs with moderation -

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i like that list more or less as is. if you're afraid of wasteland decks you can run only 1-2 sandstone and fill the rest with mountains. if you have a delver heavy metagame, then it might make sense to find room for 1-2 spirit guides and change the haz + reforge into 2 empty.

i really like bolt in the maindeck. there are times when you want the 4th RoF in the sb for bonus round. it might be better to have it in the maindeck, although it's always difficult to tell.
    -rob

i like that list more or less as is. if you're afraid of wasteland decks you can run only 1-2 sandstone and fill the rest with mountains. if you have a delver heavy metagame, then it might make sense to find room for 1-2 spirit guides and change the haz + reforge into 2 empty.

i really like bolt in the maindeck. there are times when you want the 4th RoF in the sb for bonus round. it might be better to have it in the maindeck, although it's always difficult to tell.
    Maybe exchange one RoF for the Bonus Round in the side? Or one copy of BR in sideboard is interesting?
    And - 2 LUtS +2 Simian, what do you think?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

http://www.tcdecks.net/results.php?t...ide=&strict=on

looks like there's a few decks in here that might help. hope you find a list you are happy with here.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

any thoughts on running daze in UR?

it looks like ANT is being more accepting of running daze now (on the facebook thread)

and i’m wondering how much value it provides for this deck

b/c doing something like:

seething song (they counter) you daze, and then you get to do your bonus round shenanigans
    and for decks utilizing act on impulse/light up the stage, you can still cast daze even from exile with the return an island clause.

the deck doesn't really have very good ways of getting through permanent based hate and countermagic, other than brute force (which is usually enough), but maybe this idea should be entertained here as well.

-Rob
    -rob

http://www.tcdecks.net/results.php?t...ide=&strict=on

looks like there's a few decks in here that might help. hope you find a list you are happy with here.
    Ty Mister!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

if anyone is interested in the blue/red version, i'm feeling pretty confident this is where the deck can go:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 12 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Brainstorm

// 14 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Volcanic Island
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Mountain
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Arid Mesa

// 3 Planeswalker
    3 Narset, Parter of Veils

// 19 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Bonus Round
    4 Ponder
    3 Reforge the Soul

// 15 Sideboard
    // 5 Instant
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 3 Echoing Truth

// 10 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Gamble
    -rob

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

This might be crazy, but in your updated UR build you only have 20 spells main deck that actually work with Ruby Medallion, and only 9 (if we are counting Reforge) that work with 2 of them in play.

Is it worth cutting them back or finding alternate mana accelerants?
    I know it's the namesake of the deck and it is an engine, but it's efficiency is greatly diminished now.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I also tested with 3 and this doesn't seem too bad either. With all of the cantrips I think it's fine. I wouldn't go to 2 though bc turn 1 ruby is still extremely powerful.

Bc the cantrip deck can play a cantrip turn 1 and find a Ruby if need be, the turn 1 ruby is less important
    -rob

Thread Information