Page 60 of 98 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Re: Ruby Storm

Oof, had an issue with surgical extraction getting copied 4 times in the bonus round version. That was quite brutal against me. Anyone else had issues with the card?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i haven't been able to test it yet, but if that's a bit of a worry i would recommend upping the defense grids in the sb, or possibly running some more maindeck win cons. maybe instead of running 3 lightning bolt and an empty, you can run something like:

1 lightning bolt
    1 chain lightning
    1 tendrils/magma jet/sudden shock
    1 empty the warrens

also for sequencing, you can try to have your bolts either in your hand or exiled from act on impulse, they should be safe from surgical there.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i haven't been able to test it yet, but if that's a bit of a worry i would recommend upping the defense grids in the sb, or possibly running some more maindeck win cons.
    I would 100% up the Defense Grid count if running Bonus Round. Once your opponents gets how this thing works, they can take full advantage of it. Full disclosure: I have not tested the card past theorycrafting with @MisterCakes

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

prob too slow, but could be fun with bonus round:

for the list that i mentioned 1 bolt, 1 chain lightning 1 x (this could be the x) and 1 empty the warrens.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Manroe View Post
    Oof, had an issue with surgical extraction getting copied 4 times in the bonus round version. That was quite brutal against me. Anyone else had issues with the card?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    That's a bitch for sure. If it actually becomes a problemon instead of one bad beat, try Silent Gravestone. Before going all in with Defense Grid, I had used that to help stunt DRS interaction.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

That's true, gravestone is better than grid if you're only looking to beat surgical/snapcaster /drs/faerie macabre, and prey on parts on reanimator deck. Grid is better for blocking out blue decks, but it does cost 1 more and gets worse with Helm(s) out.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

// 60 Maindeck
    // 14 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Helm of Awakening

// 10 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    2 Desperate Ritual

// 14 Land
    12 Mountain
    2 Ancient Tomb

// 22 Sorcery
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Bonus Round
    1 Gamble
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Silent Gravestone

// 2 Creature
    SB: 2 Scab-Clan Berserker

// 11 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Bonus Round
    SB: 1 Banefire
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Gamble
    SB: 1 Hull Breach

been goldfishing with this one a bit. the 2 desperate rituals are in there to help with turn 1 kills. the hazoret's is just a miser's. they all could be bolts, guttersnipes, or empty.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 06-24-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    -rob

Last Legacy FNM in my LGS I finished 2nd with the following list:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 14 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Helm of Awakening
    // 10 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    2 Desperate Ritual
    // 14 Land
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    // 22 Sorcery
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Bonus Round
    1 Gamble
    1 Empty the Warrens

// 15 Sideboard
    // 15 Sorcery
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 By Force
    1 Bonus Round
    1 Banefire
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Gamble
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Reanimate
    1 Dark Petition
    1 Telemin Performance
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Traitorous Blood

Played against:
    D&T 1-2 (1st)
    Tezzerator 2-1
    Maverick 2-0
    Lands 2-1

I played the deck without any testing, because I have not a lot of time for MtG and do not play online.
    Our Meta lacks blue decks atm. That's really strange compared to current global meta. But good for this deck.
    The SB is a full wish board because I didn't what to board a lot and try as much as possible.
    I wasn't able to get a Reforge the Soul in time, so it is missing. I am not sure if I want to run Fury.

My first impressions:
    - The deck is a blast!!!
    - Bonus Round is fantastic (as long as people are unprepared)
    - The deck need to mull a lot - mostly because of missing lands - but can have decent 4 cards hands
    - Helm is not optimal - helps the opponents often to much
    - You need to play more aggressive g2&3
    Beginning helps a lot
    - You can play through a lot of hate (e.g. I play against: Chalice @0&1 at the same time, sphere of residence & trinisphere) and win
    - Thalia, Canonist, Mother on board & Mindbreak Trap in hand are hard to beat (Helm helped to play the hate too early...)
    - Tick the storm count higher, if opponent may play sword

Fun facts:
    - Gambled T1 with 6 cards in hand to find Tomb - discarded Tomb (only 1 mountain in the starting hand)
    - I was not the only one playing Ruby in the room (another with ledless build and bolts - in total 4 storm decks). We didn't allined to play the same or talked before about the deck - it was coincidence.
    - I was asked if bonus round is already legal to play - I wasn't 100% sure of the official release date of battlebond at the first gasp.
    - Once the crowd started to chant: "Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Rubeeeyyyy!" (catchy song ;))

What would I chance:
    - 2nd Gamble main - PiF to SB
    - Clean out / optimize SB and replaced with better cards

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

that's great! how many people are at your local?

funny to hear of more than one ruby storm at a local event. do you think you can get the other guy to possibly write up on here?

-rob
    -rob

that's great! how many people are at your local?
    Only 14 iirc. Typically we are between 12 and 20 players at our weekly Legacy FNMs. I will try to reach out for the other Ruby player.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ate-2018-07-02

Legacy:

Deathrite Shaman and Gitaxian Probe are banned
    Well, now what?

Overmaster?

EDIT:

I tried it once and it felt bad. However, there is some hope. I'm trying leaning harder on Pyromancer Ascension and Bonus Round with 2-3 Tormenting Voice. Early game it'll help sculpt your hand and while you're going off it rips through your deck for . More expensive than paying two life, sure, but it also goes twice as deep and is still insane when you double it, whereas Overmaster still just feels kind of disappointing.
    Last edited by mort47; 07-02-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I'm on holiday for the next 3 weeks (poor me). Happy to see DRS and probe go, but building with this deck will need to change a little more.

Bonus round gets a lot worse without probe. Will likely need to go back to pre bonus round pre ascension lists that are better against daze and stifle.

I really like Simian Spirit Guide in cases like this.

Playing against delver decks that can't know what is in your hand is a big benefit, remember we are just pushing through and now they have to actually guess.

Will have to do some testing when I am find some time.
    -rob

Bonus round gets a lot worse without probe. Will likely need to go back to pre bonus round pre ascension lists that are better against daze and stifle.
    I've been going in the other direction. Currently dropped the Pyromancer Ascension (which is definitely worse without git probe, much harder to switch on) and put in three Bonus Round and four Tormenting Voice. It seems to work, but with the Tormenting Voice really needing to cost I'm thinking if I'd return to any of the cards from earlier versions of the deck it'd be Helm of Awakening. Simian Spirit Guide never felt great to me in the deck because it adds for a card but doesn't ever do anything else. The first Rite of Flame by comparison adds to your storm count and gets doubled with Bonus Round and triggers Guttersnipe and all that good stuff. Might just be me now who cares about the Guttersnipe thing. Gotta get me a couple of those new M19 promos.

Oh yeah, one more thought. DRS is dead. Do we still want Bolt?

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Losing probe is a big hit to non-LED lists. It was one of the best cards for giving velocity, free storm count, and free info. I suppose overmaster can be used, but it's not as good.

I'll probably do this to start:
    -4 probe
    + 1 sag
    +3 overmaster

With bonus round, bolts seem to be quite good as well.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Here's the list I'm currently goldfishing if anyone's interested.

Ruby Storm

Main:
    4 Act on Impulse
    3 Ancient Tomb
    2 Bedlam Reveler
    2 Bonus Round
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Guttersnipe
    2 Helm of Awakening
    3 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Manamorphose
    11 Mountain
    3 Past in Flames
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Seething Song
    4 Tormenting Voice

Sideboard:
    1 By Force
    2 Defense Grid
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Reforge the Soul
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Shattering Spree
    2 Silent Gravestone
    1 Tendrils of Agony

Seems like it might be good but it's too early to say obviously. I feel like without black hand disruption or blue cantrips we were leaning harder on Gitaxian Probe than most decks.

I'm confident that Tormenting Voice is better than Overmaster though.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I agree that tormenting voice is likely better than overmaster, especially in grindy games.

The other card that would be great with bonus round is commune with Lava.

Consider a draw like this :

Turn 1 Ruby with tomb.
    Turn 2 mountain seething song, bonus round, commune for x = 3, which will double and net 6 cards.

For a Christmasland draw:

Turn 1 Ruby with tomb.
    Turn 2 mountain desperate ritual, bonus round, seething song and tap tomb for 9RR, cast commune for either x=9 or x=10, which will net you 18 or 20 cards, 18 is safer since you don't need to hit a petal or led.

For slower games this will have a bigger impact, plus you can get some end step stuff on their turn.

I'm not sure yet how to squeeze it all in, I would like to play a gamble as it's quite good with bonus round.

I was thinking with bonus round if you cast gamble, it can be a great hit as the first target for gamble.

Will do some brewing, but didn't bring my laptop so I can't even goldfish!

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening

4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    3 Desperate Ritual

4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Commune with Lava
    3 Bonus Round
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Gamble

10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb

SB

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 By Force
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Gamble
    1 Past in Flames
    3 Silent Gravestone
    3 Scab-Clan Berserker

-rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Overmaster was never about draw, it was about protection at best, draw at worst. I don't see how tormenting voice even enters the conversation when faithless looting is a card. Honestly, if you want to draw cards, settling for net one for 2 mana sometimes is pretty bad in this deck when you have access to AoI and Reforge. Looting at least supports pif better than tormenting voice. I have at least 3 other cards I'd play over voice:

1) faithless looting
    2) shreds of sanity
    3) lightning bolt

All of those are after Overmaster, because I think we are going to need to adjust to the changing format again. I also think that the free draw from probe was a lot more important than we are letting on. Probe saw that we could resolve an engine card, overmaster makes sure we resolve an engine card. Much closer than tormenting voice, net one card, sometimes at the steep price of 2 mana.

Edit: forgot about commune with lava, another card with a better payoff I think.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Overmaster is bad, looting is okay. Card disadvantage isn't helpful and looting opens you up top much to surgical.

Tormenting voice is great with Ruby + bonus round, but overall it is likely too weak. vieko tested a long time ago alongside probe and came to that conclusion.

Bolt is likely needed in a flex spot, along with guttersnipe.

There really isn't that much to adjust to. Bolt is the best card out of the 4, the others aren't even close.

Delver decks become more linear and not wide. Rug delver will be somewhat problematic, bug Delver is historically the anti combo delver shell.

ANT and infect lose probe which also slows them down. Ant and tes are currently considering more discard, which makes cards like faithless looting much worse. (think going turn 1 looting and then getting thoughtsiezed or duressed.

Other decks are mostly the same. You will have more of a wasteland meta now that DRS is gone.

Bolts value goes up a bit to deal with tempo decks, specifically bug Delver and to a lesser extent rug delver.

Bolt is still good where it was prior (dnt and maverick).

Guttersnipe + bolt makes the deck unique in the sense that it is a combo deck that attacks from two angles and protects itself from the board.

You will be slower by running these cards, but that's okay.
    If you expect a high combo meta, then I'd recommend running more balls to the wall big payoff cards.

I tend to like combo more, but guttersnipe and bolt have their place.

I'm still screwing around with bonus round, although losing probe hit it pretty hard. It's more of my personal preference.
    -rob

just won a local event 4-0-0. sleeved it up yesterday wanted to play a last time with the probes ;) did not really have time to prepare so i found out now that i misscalculated the lands... normally i would prefer total of 11 mountain... but maybe 10 is the right amount. i think we were around 16 people...

2-1 against Miracles
    cant say much about the matches, i think he wasn't a highly experienced player...
    2-0 against RUG Delver
    first game go off turn two or three for 16 or more tokens... 2nd game go off some two turns after resolving a defense grid.
    2-1 against Grixies Delver
    cant say much, in the last game he made a mistake when casting liliana instead of kolaghans command and destroying my defense grid, he basically let me discard my hand and ate my graveyard, i had two or three ruby medallions in play and topdecked burning wish for reforge the soul, finally won after past in flames reforge again, he could not counter because defense grid...
    2-0 against Infect (Final)
    1st game i begin and go off turn 1 with 14 goblin after seeing his hand through probe. 2nd game i have to go off turn three or something to get 6 token and start jump blocking, some turns later i go off again and finish it.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 14 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Helm of Awakening

// 9 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    1 Desperate Ritual

// 13 Land
    9 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors

// 24 Sorcery
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Faithless Looting
    1 Reforge the Soul
    2 Empty the Warrens
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Defense Grid

// 2 Instant
    SB: 2 Abrade

// 10 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Hull Breach
    SB: 1 Goblin War Strike
    SB: 1 Cave-In
    SB: 1 Pyroblast
    SB: 1 Red Elemental Blast

maybe have to add, that i did not prepare for storm or reanimator cause i was pretty sure there will be no opponent today playing one of these...

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Thanks for that. Always happy to hear this deck smashing some net decks.
    -rob

Thread Information