Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Mono Red Storm

Don't have slack but I could sign up for that

heey its jdmdave from depths
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Hey, I liked how the deck works and I've been twitching it also online to play something different, I didn't keep track of all of the discussion, but I'll like to put some of my thoughts here.

I really really like the power of Gitaxian Probe, it gives us free spells and lets us be prepared to face certain cards, I prefer Probe over Magma Jet. Another thing over testing, not sure if you already discussed this, reforge the Soul is great, but its drawback giving 7 new cards to the opponent is just so brutal, I have switched more to Act on Impulse, because it feels more resilient on combo turn, so for my opinion its if you do use Reforge the Soul you kind of need the defense grid, reforge + no defense grid is just going to be very hard to beat FoW and too unreliable. I'm keeping 1 on the SB because I can wish for it.

I was actually going a very low count of lands, 14, that kind of backed up by both Manamorphose and Probe, since I was playing more activelly those spells kind of like cantripping, but I agree that might be too low, even though I was playing a more aggressive list to combo off T2.

I'll update my list after some tests and post it here so you guys can take a look at what I have come up with, my biggest concern now is fighting FoW/hate cards, Defense Grid is a way, but I'll try some other things to compensate our lack of hand discard

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I think it's worth reading through the thread. Happy to hear your results with the deck and the list used to get there.
    -rob

I've been having trouble playing vs miracles. Their stack of counterspells postboard with the inclusion of daze these days really makes it hard to go off. Some even have Hydroblast.

Defense grid is probably our best answer to this tho
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Quote Originally Posted by solnox View Post
    I've been having trouble playing vs miracles. Their stack of counterspells postboard with the inclusion of daze these days really makes it hard to go off. Some even have Hydroblast.

Defense grid is probably our best answer to this tho
    That, aggressive play and redundancy... which most lists I've seen on this threat have :) I have less issues against blue decks than other Storm variants.

Quote Originally Posted by solnox View Post
    Don't have slack but I could sign up for that

heey its jdmdave from depths
    I've had strong GP results with depths, but I still think the deck lacks the level of "play" to keep someone interested in the format. I've always had a soft spot for storm, but can't afford the LEDs/Seas, so this has piqued my interest.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

it's not 100% certain that LED-less builds are correct. i prefer them currently, but vieko has almost exclusively been testing builds with the LED's for quite some time.

in a deck that is so heavy on act on impulse and past in flames it could be correct, but i like hitting more business spells than mana sources. (i think he's more or less running more maindeck mountains and less sol lands. then he's not running the 4 slots where i currently have desperate ritual and simian spirit guide, and running 4 LED there).
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

My personal opinion is that if you are going to use LED then there is already 2 decks designed to use them better (ANT, TES.) Both of those decks pair it with Infernal Tutor for incredibly consistent kills. My thought is that with the mana reducers (Medallions) and Seething Song this deck has mana that is just as, if not more, explosive and can lead to broken turns with Past in Flames and Hazoret's Undying Fury.

Just my $0.02.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i'm going to try a few different things.

i currently like the magma jets and still need to test, but am also going to think about those last two slots and try

1 magma jet, 1 chandra torch of defiance.
    or
    2 hazoret's undying fury

in addition to that i'm also going to test 3 city of traitors and 2 ancient tomb instead of the other way around to see if the life loss matters enough.
    -rob

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Has anyone tried playing Overmaster? Maybe it's unnecessary, but I love the idea of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cdnza View Post
    Has anyone tried playing Overmaster? Maybe it's unnecessary, but I love the idea of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I literally just bought 4 of these yesterday to try them out. I'm having problems finding space though.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Tried it, but when I tried it the list was a bit different. Check the earlier posts in the thread.
    -rob

Hey everyone, just bought into the deck on Monday in a fit of excitement, and took it to Legacy Tuesday at my local store, which had about 30 people, generally a fairly solid competitive scene.

I didn't face a single blue deck, which was obviously nice.

Round 1 vs Maverick, I turned 2 or 3 him both games. His only pieces of interaction with thought seizes and pithing needle, as well as wasteland. He never found a Thalia.

1-0

Round 2 vs fuckstorm.dec - basically Death and Taxes running 4 Thalia, 4 Vryn Highmare, and 4 Chrome Mox to accelerate out these dudes, all maindeck, with extra Thorn of Amethyst in the side... wtf! Anyways, he stomped me. When your spells cost 2 or 3 more, its a bad time.

1-1

Round 3 vs regular Death & Taxes - he only every found a single Thalia but I found a second reduction effect. There was also an opportunity for him to vial in a flickerwisp and displace one of my ruby's, but by the time he committed to that, it was too late.

2-1

Round 4 vs Goblins (paired up! the goblins guy never goes 3-0 or 4-0! Good for him) unfortunately for goblins guy, he had absolutely 0 chance here and I turn 3'd and then turn 2'd him quickly enough.

3-1

Here was the list I ran:

Hazoret Storm

Lands (14)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    10x Mountain

Enablers (19)
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Act on Impulse
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    3 Reforge the Soul
    3 Past in Flames
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Empty the Warrens

Storm (27)
    4 Ruby Medallion
    3 Helm of Awakening
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Rite of Flame
    3 Desperate Ritual

Sideboard (15)
    3x Pyroblast
    2x Sulfur Elemental
    1x Pyroclasm
    1x Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1x Reforge the Soul
    1x Past in Flames
    1x Ignite Memories
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x Tendrills of Agony
    1x Goblin War Strike
    1x Act on Impulse

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

thanks for the quick report.

wondering if you can expand a little bit.

i notice 10 mountain and 4 tomb. how often were you stuck not finding a land, especially a red mana source?

how many games did you just drop 8+ goblins and run them over without a full combo?

any other opinions/thoughts? if you wanna chat there's a slack for it, just msg me with your email and i'll add ya.

welcome to the club.
    -rob

Yeah I was gonna expand on my thoughts after the first day, but got pulled into a work meeting, as you do.

First, yes there were some awkward no red mana hands, and I'm thinking of going up to 15 lands, with 11 Mountains.

As for the goblins, I actually never did that, even though I should have at least once (double petal, rite, land, goblins). If I'm being honest, because it was my first time playing the deck, I always wanted to do the cool, risky line, and go for it. I think with more experience, I'll be making more groups of 8-12 goblins.

Other thoughts:

I didn't put much work into the sideboard, it was haphazardly thrown together. The two Sulfur Elementals seem essential, and I was happy to have them. I didn't have to board in the Pyroblasts, so I couldn't really test if they are what i want vs Force of Will decks. I was also considering Hope of Ghirapur as red-friendly Xanthid Swarm. Worth trying.

I may also have too many Wish targets, was being too cute. Open to ideas. Blood Moon and Chandra is also a transformational consideration which seems sweet!

I think thats it for now? What do you think.

sorry for the waiting xD

someone ask me about Commune with Lava: probably is always better Act, but i prefer it for some interaction in EoT and try to combo off in mine turn. Isn't very good with Defense Grid, but can be good.

Maybe, a lot of Helms? they are good against no counterspells, but against them? i think i can cut the grids in my list for them, but i'm not sure. Someone play them?

Someone play Mana Flare? can be good for me, because give a tons of mana at t2-3; but in combo mode isn't very good.

also Gauntlet of Might

Hey there!

Longtime lurker and Legacy enthusast, compelled at long last to come out of the forum closet by this deck. Took it to a 4-0 finish at a local monthly Legacy event, and loved every minute.
    List used was a variant on the OP, relisted below for convenience, plus my warstories!

To anyone looking into this deck and thinking "Why not just play ANT, TES, or any other good Storm", I'll say the one-word answer is "inevitability". This deck is resilient. Like, with a capital "-esilient"!

SI and TES really need to start asking themselves the big questions in life about conceding if the game goes on longer than their fourth turn, or if you pull the trigger too early and fizzle, you're shafted.
    This is not the case with Hazoret the Undead Furry (petition for archetype name?); which has a stunning ability to pull back from misfires, and isn't as FoW-weak as you might think; we simply have too many must-counter nukes. Hazoret's one thing, but Reforge the Soul, Burning Wish, Act on Impulse too...
    The Sol Land inclusion really helps us out when fighting through Daze, too. Give it a try if you're reading this and on the fence about sleeving the deck up.

Anyway, my list:

The Kill-Con:
    3x Empty the Warrens
    4x Burning Wish

The Storm Engine:
    3x Hazoret's Undying Fury
    3x Past in Flames
    2x Reforge the Soul
    2x Act on Impulse

Gas, Gas, Gas:
    4x Helm of Awakening
    4x Ruby Medallion
    4x Manamorphose
    4x Seething Song
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Rite of Flame
    4x Lotus Petal
    1x Desperate Ritual

Lands:
    10x Mountain
    4x Ancient Tomb

Wishboard/Sideboard:
    1x Empty the Warrens (Wish)
    1x Hazoret's Undying Fury (Wish)
    1x Grapeshot (Wish)
    1x Shattering Spree (Wish)
    1x Reforge the Soul (Wish)
    1x Mizzix's Mastery (Wish)
    1x Past in Flames (Wish)
    1x Goblin War Strike (Wish)
    2x Cave-In (Wish)

3x Relic of Progenitus (Side)
    2x Red Elemental Blast (Side)

The Glasgow (Scotland) Legacy scene is pretty strong, with a wide variety of archetypes, strong players, and decent event size. Event overview!

Round 1 - vs. Burning Wish Belcher
    G1: I lost the toss, and dried up a little inside when my opponent Land Grants, pitches Harambe -> Ritual, Ritual, Belcher.
    Fortunately, the chain stopped there, and on my turn 1 I pulled off a Burning Wish for Shattering Spree. A long war of attrition ensued, and I was aware that both Helm effects and Draw 7s would probably benefit the Belcher more. Both sides launched off multiple Warrens for 10 or so Goblins, but the virtual card draw on Hazoret and AoImp saved the day. Never known a Belcher game go to 15+ turns and they still had a chance.

G2: Neither of us sideboard. He Warrens for 8 Gobbos @ T1 on a mulligan to 5, I take the 8 from their first swing, then go off for a turn 3 kill.

Round 2 - vs. 4c Loam
    G1: I kept a hand of 2 lands and 5 gas, won the toss, but neglected to put a Helm into play on T1 - without some big boy spell in hand, I'm afraid of how much benefit my opponent would get before I do. Turns out I never draw into biznizz, and die to Reliquary beatdown 6 or so turns in.
    G2: I sided in 3x RoProgenitus at the expense of 3 Helms of A. My opponent got the dreamland magic hand of a Leyline of the Void after a mulligan to 5, and on his first turn, drops a Mox D and a Chalice on 1. Fortunately, this deck has a good spread of mana costs for gas and business alike, so I wasn't too afraid. I drop a turn 1 Relic which keeps his Loamables in check, he never finds anything more threatening than a Scavenging Ooze, and I eventually Storm off for 18 Goblins by chucking a spare Relic and a Rite of Flame into the Chalice for the Storm count.

"It's like High Tide, but Red" my opponent remarked between rounds. (Red Tide - petition for archetype name #2?)

G3: He finds a Burnwillows-Cabal Pit combo very early on, but that's not enough to stop 20 Goblins on my 3rd turn. Ha!

Round 3 - vs. BUG Combo Elves
    G1: Opponent wins the toss and plays first, overextending with a Quirion Ranger into 4 Elves on by the end of his second turn. This was a perfect opportunity to Burning Wish for Cave-In, but he manages to drop a Deathrite and a NO'd 6/6 Craterhoof before I am able to rebuild handsize. I have to go off early to find Goblins to save my ass, but after we've both blasted our handsizes away to nothing, I rebuild faster, and drop a memorable EtW -> PiF -> EtW for 124 Goblins on 3 life remaining. There was quite a crowd building up by this point.
    G2: I didn't sideboard. Beautiful opening of Helm -> Helm means I explode on my second turn, and War Strike him for 32.

The Finals - vs. Grixis Delver
    A little scouting meant I knew beforehand I was playing a Blue Guy for the finals - I was quite glad of the opportunity to test against counters.

G1: Won the toss, Tomb -> Petal -> Ritual chain lands 14 Goblins on turn 1, and you just can't race that.
    G2: Didn't side out my Helms, because I didn't expect much colorless mana in costs on his side of the field. Naturally, he goes first. T1 Delver into T2 Pyromancer just telegraphs that he's holding free counters. I play my small-time ramp (Petals and such) early on to try and bait out some counters, which he doesn't fall for, but that would at least give me the mana to pay for a Daze next turn or such.
    Over this time he built up a big-ass Elemental army, though, and I wasn't able to race it.
    G3: I'm on the play, I mulligan to 6, and bust out 12 Goblins and a Harambe on Turn 1. He checks the top card of his deck, and scooped on the spot. :D

A fun and rewarding night, an absolute dream to play, and something to keep building on in the future.
    Last edited by Ferrerothorn; 08-11-2017 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Unfinished senten-

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrerothorn View Post
    A fun and rewarding night, an absolute dream to play, and something to keep building on in the future.
    Welcome and CONGRATS! Well done.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

-rob

Thread Information