Page 12 of 98 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Mono Red Storm

Mizzix's Mastery seems a little win-more, no? I figure if you can afford to overload it, you are already way ahead and have much better things to do with your mana. Otherwise, it might be a 4 mana Reforge the Soul or Hazoret's? Thats kind of medium?

Maybe I'm wrong.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I second Red Tide for a name...
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Vetoed! Carsten plays a red version of high tide... Which is actually pretty good.
    -rob

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

:)
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

Meow.

No, no.... TIGER BLOOD

TWO MONO RED STORM decks at my weekly!

Yours truly and my second favourite Magic Judge + good friend Jefferey. I ran my latest LED list to a 2-2 finish. Jeff passed on mistercakes' Torch Storm 75 and went down his own FURY ROAD (ultimate redundancy) to a 3-1 finish. He only lost to Maverick (Haz'ed into lands) and beat: Elves, Death's Shadow and something else... almost decked an opponent with Reforges / flashbacked Reforges :)

My matches went like this:

2-1 vs. BR Reanimator (Will)
    G1: Animated Chancellor, beats, scoop.
    G2: Kept no lander with Tormod's Crypt + rituals + business, topped City of Traitors, cast Ruby, cast Ruby... things got out of hand from there.
    G3: Double Berserker + Goblins + Storm count for days.

2-0 vs. Elves (Sam)
    G1: Established solid board (including Teeg), Wish into Pyro, then Gobbos.
    G2: He mulled to 5, I tendrils turn 3?

1-2 vs. Maverick (Mario)
    G1: Tendrils for 24.
    G2: Locks me with Teeg, Thalia, Canonist... runs Canonist into gobbos (mistake for sure)... I was one mana short from taking the game away via Wish + Pyroclasm.
    G3: Was close! He had the upper-hand via tax effects... I almost stabilized but was overdue to make my mistake for the night (see below for more on that).

1-2 vs. Death and Taxes (Andrew)
    G1: Made a massive pile of goblins and War Strike for the win.
    G2: He locks me down, I stabilized (Medallions) + Goblins... we would've been there forever, I scooped us into G3.
    G3: Locks me early, I remove lock, locks me again... Serra / Thalia x 3 me to death.

OVERALL
    Love this thing! I piloted better than last time, made only 1 mistake: did not save Abrade to kill Canonist vs. Maverick opting to kill Thalia instead... granted I didn't know he had it in hand but knew very well he runs it. With his clock that game, I had a higher chance to hit my reduction rocks and neuter Thalia's tax than topping a second Abrade... oh well :) Here's my latest list for your reference:

MONO RED STORM 4.3

14 LAND
    12 Mountain
    2 City of Traitors

8 RITUAL
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song

8 MANA
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

6 REDUCTION
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening

5 TUTOR
    4 Burning Wish
    1 Gamble

5 EXILE / PLAY
    3 Act on Impulse
    2 Commune with Lava

4 MANA / DRAW
    4 Manamorphose

4 PEEK / DRAW
    4 Gitaxian Probe

2 DISCARD / DRAW
    2 Tormenting Voice

2 STORM
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens

1 FLASHBACK
    1 Past in Flames

1 DISRUPT / DRAW
    1 Reforge the Soul

SIDEBOARD
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Abrade
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Past in Flames
    1 By Force
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Sudden Demise

NOTES ON THE ABOVE:
    - 15 lands is what this deck wants. I wanted a MB Grapeshot tonight, 14 lands were run.
    - Moved Grapeshot MB to make room for a second sweeper (meta call).
    - MVP: Gamble... did not mess me once, got me what I wanted every time it was cast.
    - Abrade was excellent.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I'm glad people are trying Fury out again. After a few bad runs it's easy to have doubts, but that card is just a bit too powerful.

Sometimes you get 15cc for free.

I'm currently in a league at 3-1.
    Beat storm, storm, elves. Lost to Leovold (still got game 1).

How was blood moon?

Other thing about the name of the deck. In the beginning I thought it's be nice to have a clever name, but the truth is simplicity sticks.

Belcher, pox, high tide, reanimator, survival, ANT, rug delver..... The list goes on.

I think its easiest just as mono red storm. I would have leaned towards something like Ruby Storm but again I'd rather keep it more direct.

Also all these reports with different lists more or less means to me that the core of the deck is good enough to do whatever you want.

It's a storm deck that doesn't argue over the last 2 cards, but instead we have a healthy debate about the last 10-14 cards.

There might be an optimal build, but the more I see these results.... Who cares? We will get there eventually. A deck that is competitive and has this much flexibility is super rare.

4-1 in league with this:

3 ancient tomb
    2 city of traitors
    10 mountain
    4 lotus petal
    3 probe
    1 gamble
    4 rite of flame
    4 burning wish
    1 desperate ritual
    4 manamorphose
    2 helm of awakening
    4 ruby medallion
    4 act on impulse
    4 seething song
    2 simian spirit guide
    3 past in flames
    2 chandra, torch of defiance
    3 reforge the soul

sb

1 tendrils of agony
    2 abrade
    1 grapeshot
    2 scab-clan berserker
    1 emtpy the warrens
    1 past in flames
    1 cave-in
    1 reforge the soul
    1 by force
    1 tormod's crypt
    3 defense grid (although could be blood moon, haven't tested)

beat ant ant elves grixis, lost to 4c leo. (still won game 1 vs them and would have won game 2 but i needed to hit a sol land off of the reforge so i could cast defense grid + past in flames. didn't have enough mana and he had the flusterstorm for the past in flames.

2 chandras could likely be 4th probe and 1 of anything (empty the warrens, hazoret's undying fury, 2nd gamble, commune with lava, grapeshot) or if you don't like the idea of wishing for the reforge the soul, i'd recommend just running 4 maindeck. it is something i do regularly though.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 08-11-2017 at 07:42 AM.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Haz-been

(Hazoret's Undying Fury + Past in Flames, "past" tense of be)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

HS - HeartStone? No, Hazoret's Storm!

this name is quite fantastic xD

\intopic mode: i'm trying now 2 Act on Impulse: i've a question on them: how many Ruby+Helm do u want play for playing Act less possible? Helm seems good, but it's symmetric (good against aggro and control, worst against all others).

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I feel like a lot of the new people discovering the deck are retracing over the same path vieko and I went down.

Please go through the thread to see progress with the deck. There's been a lot of play testing to come to the results we have. There's a reason I've tried to document all of this.

Currently it feels like 6 Medallion effects is what you can get away with.

I'd argue that Helm is also not great vs control, at least the ones playing kologhans command and snapcaster. The only reason why it's back as a 2 of (we had cut them all for about 2-3 weeks of testing) is because in a deck like this it doesn't matter if it's symmetrical. Our effects with helm /Ruby are much more powerful. (as mentioned in the primer).

I will update the opening post with roughly 3 different building strategies for the deck:

Biggest hazoret's payoff (which was in my original builds)
    Most consistent red storm deck (which I prefer)
    Strongest LED build (vieko's)

I have moved from option 1 to option 2 since more or less nonstop testing since the card was released on modo about a month ago.

Perhaps I'll also have to include some questions/answers so people don't constantly get stuck asking in the thread on things that have already come up.

I've been a but busy due to having a baby since May, but I went through the thread to show League history.

League history

2-3,(predates haz on modo)
    1-4
    2-3
    1-4
    2-2 paper local
    3-2
    4-1
    1-4
    2-3
    3-2
    4-1

I also want to mention that most of this league history was with running 3-4 hazoret's.

Keep in mind I played about double this amount of matches in the casual tourney practice room. (where I could close out mid-game if wife needed me for anything)

There's a fine balance between how many lands rocks and business to play with this card, and this is where playing lots and lots of matches with the deck will help you better understand this.

I love when you can pay 6 mana flip some some dumb. Combination of seething song and past in flames or wheel and just win. Statistically it's quite hard to do this.

Perhaps if we had a real numbers guy do some analysis it would provide an argument against my experience.

I probably should have documented each time hazoret's whiffed, bc it really does have a major importance in deck design.
    -rob

Just took my list to a 3-0 finish in a weekly.

Beat UR Delver, Elves and Sneak and Show

Elves- Burning Wished for a Cave In to buy time before I combo him out both games in a row.

UR Delver, I T1 Helm of Awakening, drew probe and see his hand of dazes, I rip City off the probe and go off right there.

G2: I flip a Pyroblast off my Act on Impulse which conveniently stops his Force of Will.

Vs sneak

G1: He gets super unlucky and cant find force in 21cards off Griseldad. I combo him.

G2: I play some rituals after he griselbrand activates twice. He forces my first burning wish but lets my 2nd one resolve. I grab Past in Flames which 2 more rituals in hand, a medallion on board and 4 mana floating. He forces the PiF but I play more rituals and FB it to replay my yard. Draw into Burning Wish to kill him.

Pyroblast felt pretty damn good in sideboard and will probably be there for my paper list. Don't currently have any pyroblasts online
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I love when you can pay 6 mana flip some some dumb. Combination of seething song and past in flames or wheel and just win. Statistically it's quite hard to do this.

Perhaps if we had a real numbers guy do some analysis it would provide an argument against my experience.

I probably should have documented each time hazoret's whiffed, bc it really does have a major importance in deck design.
    if u want study in a statistical mode, do u wnat a probability at priori (the classic one) or a Bayesian statistic?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I never studied statistics, so can't really comment on that. What would be nice is some kind of statistics to avoid debating over gut feelings.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by solnox View Post
    Just took my list to a 3-0 finish in a weekly.

Beat UR Delver, Elves and Sneak and Show

Elves- Burning Wished for a Cave In to buy time before I combo him out both games in a row.

UR Delver, I T1 Helm of Awakening, drew probe and see his hand of dazes, I rip City off the probe and go off right there.

G2: I flip a Pyroblast off my Act on Impulse which conveniently stops his Force of Will.

Vs sneak

G1: He gets super unlucky and cant find force in 21cards off Griseldad. I combo him.

G2: I play some rituals after he griselbrand activates twice. He forces my first burning wish but lets my 2nd one resolve. I grab Past in Flames which 2 more rituals in hand, a medallion on board and 4 mana floating. He forces the PiF but I play more rituals and FB it to replay my yard. Draw into Burning Wish to kill him.

Pyroblast felt pretty damn good in sideboard and will probably be there for my paper list. Don't currently have any pyroblasts online
    What ya running these days as your 75?
    -rob

May 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by vieko View Post
    TWO MONO RED STORM decks at my weekly!

Yours truly and my second favourite Magic Judge + good friend Jefferey. I ran my latest LED list to a 2-2 finish. Jeff passed on mistercakes' Torch Storm 75 and went down his own FURY ROAD (ultimate redundancy) to a 3-1 finish. He only lost to Maverick (Haz'ed into lands) and beat: Elves, Death's Shadow and something else... almost decked an opponent with Reforges / flashbacked Reforges
    Second favourite judge... :'(

Full fury seems funner and swingier. Against elves casting 4x reforge and 3x fury in same turn was fun.

The only match loss was failing with fury in each of the games against maverick. Both fury saw mountainx2, tomb and mana morphose, which is extremely unlucky.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I think that's closer to my original build, just depends on if you are bare okay with variance. It definitely is fun to shuffle and flip! I think for any 3-4 round local it's probably where you want to have the most fun anyway. Glad to have you aboard.
    -rob

4 Act on Impulse
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Burning Wish
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Desperate Ritual
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    2 Helm of Awakening
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Manamorphose
    3 Past in Flames
    3 Reforge the Soul
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Seething Song
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    10 Mountain

1 By Force
    1 Cave-In
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    2 Pyroblast
    3 Defense Gride
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Rending Volley

I feel I want to try the 8 rock version. Rocks are absurd
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

It's true!:(

Crazy dumb cards. Especially when you have 2 Helm and the rest just become free.
    -rob

I did some playtesting with a friend today with this list:
    12 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Lotus Petal

3 Helm of Awakening
    4 Ruby Medallion

3 Overmaster
    4 Manamorphose

4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song

2 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    3 Past in Flames
    3 Reforge the Soul
    4 Burning Wish
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot

Sideboard:
    3 Defense Grid
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Cave-In
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Reforge the Soul

He played about 10 games against me with Sneak and Show (maindecking 3x Omniscience), and we only played pre-board, but I honestly think his deck is just faster. I whiffed a lot, or he countered a lot, and he also just SnT/Omni/Intuition/Emrakul a LOT. like 4-5 games in a row. Afterwards, we played a few against his Dredge deck, and it was about 50/50 in 6 or so games. I noticed a lot of times my Manamorphose or Overmaster just didn't draw into enough, so I want to add a few more cantrips (in the form of Gitaxian Probe) to try to hit more gas.

I am thinking I will make the following changes in the main deck:
    11 Mountain (-1)
    2 Helm of Awakening (-1)
    2 Past in Flames (-1)
    0 Empty the Warrens (-1)
    0 Grapeshot (-1)
    2 Gamble (+2)
    3 Gitaxian Probe (+3)

Also, I got my Ruby Medallions in the mail today, so I might pilot this at the weekly on Monday.

Jun 2011
    n/a

So I am new to this deck but why do we run tendrils. I am only two matches into a league right now but I have been basically able to grapeshot people for 30 each game with ease. Its seems to me when we go off we basically go off really hard and really over the top.

Thread Information