Page 27 of 98 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

I would also vote on the grids, especially if their is more RB reanimator (assuming with sire insanity) then the grids are not as necessary anyways.

That and one of the storm cards can be dropped (my vote is for empty because I never want to make goblins with this deck), but that is only if you really want to open up more slots.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

it's a mistake to remove the empty from the sb.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfJacks View Post
    I have noticed some people only running a random Tormod's Crypt or Faerie Macabre in their sb. Unfortunately for me, there are a lot of Reanimator decks in my local meta, so I have no choice but to run 4x Leyline of the Void to stop them from Reanimating a T1 Griselbrand or T1 Sire of Insanity. I tried Faerie Macabre in the past, but it folds to T1 Thoughtseize or t! Unmask before they play their discard outlet. This really cramps my sb space, and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas how I can squeeze Blood Moon into the sb.

Current SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Defense Grid
    2 Ensnaring Bridge (several regulars piloting Sneak & Show variants. One even plays Omniscience, so he SnT -> Omni -> hardcast Emrakul.)
    6 Wishboard
    1 Empty
    1 Grapeshot (good for Thalia or DRS)
    1 Tendrils
    1 PiF
    1 Cave-In
    1 Fiery Confluence (open slot I guess, but I wanted variable artifact destruction and/or the ability to kill dudes if needed)
    Leyline of the Void is intrinsically bad in combo decks like this. It forces you to weigh more aggressively on your mulligan strategy and is a God-awful top-deck. In a meta where turn zero hate is needed, Surgical or Faerie are superior. You can't justify running bad cards like Leyline just because of a small sample size of opponents who open on discard and combo either the same turn or the following turn (essentially the nuts), because it's just not worth it.

If opponents in your meta are playing Reanimator, jam more Faeries or Surgicals (x3-4) that have value off the top. But I strongly recommend avoiding Leyline, because it's honestly just a lazy solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    it's a mistake to remove the empty from the sb.
    Cannot agree more with this ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfJacks View Post
    I have noticed some people only running a random Tormod's Crypt or Faerie Macabre in their sb. Unfortunately for me, there are a lot of Reanimator decks in my local meta, so I have no choice but to run 4x Leyline of the Void to stop them from Reanimating a T1 Griselbrand or T1 Sire of Insanity. I tried Faerie Macabre in the past, but it folds to T1 Thoughtseize or t! Unmask before they play their discard outlet. This really cramps my sb space, and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas how I can squeeze Blood Moon into the sb.

Current SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Defense Grid
    2 Ensnaring Bridge (several regulars piloting Sneak & Show variants. One even plays Omniscience, so he SnT -> Omni -> hardcast Emrakul.)
    6 Wishboard
    1 Empty
    1 Grapeshot (good for Thalia or DRS)
    1 Tendrils
    1 PiF
    1 Cave-In
    1 Fiery Confluence (open slot I guess, but I wanted variable artifact destruction and/or the ability to kill dudes if needed)
    Long Term Reanimator player here.

1) If you are facing a bunch of blue combo decks (Ub reanimator and Sneaky show), consider running red blasts in the SB instead of the defense grids. Countering SnT and Careful Study/Brainstorm goes a long way. Ricochet Trap (and other redirection effects) is a much narrower alternative which is not nearly as good.

2) Pithing Needle naming Griselbrand/Sneak Attack is likely to do more work than Ensnaring Bridge. If your Omni friend is any competent, he will kill you with SnT->Omni->Cunning Wish->Release the Ants through your Bridge even if you land one. Consider running some red blasts to counter the SnT in the first place.

3) Those Leylines should be Surgicals.

4) If the opponent goes for t1 Sire of Insanity often with spot discard backup, there are super niche sb cards available. E.g. Metrognome and Pyrokinesis. Against SnT there is e.g. Confusion in the ranks, but honestly, red blasts are simply better. Against fatties, there is e.g. Stingscourger and SB Karakas. Karakas is especially nice because it is not hit by spot discard, not countered, and hits also Thalia.

5) Practice winning the coin flip. There is a 50% chance your opponent gets to be t1 on the play only once in your three games. If you make a bunch of goblin tokens t1 on the play with a decent backup plan (surgical, Karakas, red blast, whatever), most likely your opponent will not have enough time to try assembling their combo a second time after you foil their initial attempt.

6) When all else fails, splash black with Badlands for MD Cabal Therapy (with MD G.Probe) and SB Duress.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think you should run 2-3 tormod's crypts. you're likely not bringing in surgicals vs anything non-graveyard-based and tormod's is proactive. that's much more important vs a deck with discard. who cares if you have surgical in opening hand if they make you discard it first?

if they have a nut draw turn 1....ok? you lose. it's totally fine. they won't have it every time. afterwards you can even cast gamble to find one and then just play it. they are so lost when crypt is in play.
    -rob

This new card maybe a nice add to try:

4CMC is hard, but it gives you one mana (even for tendrils) and can cut the storm in half (and other things).

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

It's certainly worth testing. Getting the fork effect is pretty big. It allows you to help break through counterspells. It's also a 5th Ruby in this deck. Likely better than Helm. But anyway, we gotta test....also must wait to see if this deck gets anything else from this set.
    -rob

If you copy spell you wont get another Storm trigger so that thing wont help with that.
    "Everything is better topless"

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

understood, this was more about getting a fork on your act on impulse/past in flames/burning wish. those seem to be the important cards you gotta push through when it counts.
    -rob

I like:
    - Effect is not symmetrical, unlike Helm
    - Cheaper instants and sorceries regardless of color
    - Optional flipping: you don't need to flip mid-chain until you want to fork your next spell (HUF, AoI or Seething Song, probably?).
    - Post-flipping allows forking to recover from a bad topdeck situation if we have to topdeck business to go off (e.g. due to opposing Hymn to Tourach).
    - Turns redundant extra rock(s) into business with the forking
    - Post-flip can even provide mana color fixing for Wishboard targets. E.g. Telemin Performance and Tendrils.

I dislike:
    - Cmc 4
    - Casting 4 spells to flip is not easy enough in topdeck mode

Seems like a solid 1-2 of to me.

EDIT:
    The silliest thing I can think of with this card is forking a Commune with Lava with a big X in the opponent's end step.

Quote Originally Posted by l33twash0r View Post
    If you copy spell you wont get another Storm trigger so that thing wont help with that.
    ...unless if you copy EtW, Tendrils or Grapeshot with it, it's functionally +1 copy of the storm spell, which is functionally similar to +1 storm. Could even be relevant sometimes because the card provides color fixing for Tendrils.

Except Helm can be cast turn 1 with a Tomb which is what the deck wants. If it cost 3 I could see a reason to try it but 4 means you need to waist a resource to get it on turn 2.

It also does not work with Ruby so you cant even Ruby turn 1 into that turn 2.

Seems like bad at best and terrible at worse. All that work for a Fork? One time Fork at that lol.

Anytime these spells come out the Storm threads go seems good and one week later people forget the cards name it was so horrid.

Side Note:
    Apocalypse has surprisingly been nice in the board as a get out of a jam or one sided literal board wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post

EDIT:
    The silliest thing I can think of with this card is forking a Commune with Lava with a big X in the opponent's end step.
    To me, The siliest is copy a Time Spiral, and hit some Turnabouts in the new hands, but I think this is another deck, lol

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

to be fair, anyone still playing hazoret's...this is a pretty cool card to fork. i'm not currently running hazoret's anymore, but it does seem rather great here in that situation.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm down to 1 Hazorets. I can't give up on it entirely, lol.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Give it time. You'll get there. ;)
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

list i've been playing for the last few days. just a match here and there, but has been pretty satisfying.

2 ancient tomb
    2 city of traitors
    10 mountain

4 lion's eye diamond
    4 lotus petal

4 gitaxian probe
    4 rite of flame
    4 burning wish
    4 act on impulse
    3 past in flames
    2 reforge the wheel
    1 empty the warrens
    1 gamble

4 manamorphose
    4 seething song

4 ruby medallion
    2 helm of awakening

sb:

1 tendrils of agony
    2 abrade
    1 grapeshot
    2 scab-clan berserker
    1 empty the warrens
    1 past in flames
    1 cave-in
    1 reforge the soul
    1 by force
    1 tormod's crypt
    3 defense grid

haven't tried apocalypse. i'm sure it's fine but haven't tried it!

happy to see mtggoldfish try the deck, unfortunately it was with rampart's list. was sad to see the tendrils of agony missing and it caused him to lose to glacial chasm.

anyway, quite happy w/ this list for the time being, although sideboard is suspect to change. it's pretty similar to what vieko has been playing except i am playing 2 more sol lands and i'm not running guttersnipe (which he loves). i'm running an extra past in flames, 2 reforge the soul, and 2 helms. (he's running something else, but i can't recall what the singleton is, it could be a 2nd empty or 2nd gamble.)
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Surprised to see both LED and Helm together. I would think with LEDs you could cut the helms altogether. I also think Gamble gets much better with LED's, because you're discarding the rest of your hand anyways and PiF can be cast from the graveyard if you're pinched on mana pre-LED activation.

In my opinion I think we've established two distinct versions of this deck: the 'real' version with LED's and the 'budget' version that instead plays more rituals/SSG's to make up for the lack of LED's. I think the real deck has great promise and the budget version can definitely steal some wins but suffers from a 1-1.5 turn slower combo.

I'm going to actively try and trade into some LEDs, I'm convinced its needed. I really want to go balls-deep into this deck.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    In my opinion I think we've established two distinct versions of this deck: the 'real' version with LED's and the 'budget' version that instead plays more rituals/SSG's to make up for the lack of LED's.
    Personally, I would probably choose 2x Helm + 2x HUF/RtS instead of 4x SSG/random ritual for the budget version. Replacing +3 mana with +1 to +2 mana sounds awful to me. Rocks and HUF can easily save 3 mana or even more on the combo turn, and our deck is essentially OneBigTurn.DEC. But yes, the combo is slower anyhow than in a LED build.

Thread Information