Page 29 of 98 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Too much explaining. Also sounds like aluren. Anyway, call it whatever you want. :)
    Instead of explaining, I would just link them completely without any context to

https://youtu.be/A2J2BAAUdyU

...which is kind of a Finnish "trololo" from an old comedy TV series, and phonetically close enough in my book.

Main issue here is 6 mana with no effect. Could Winn fringe games but I don't think it's reliable enough.
    I guess I'm just overly excited of turning every single ritual cast from hand into a free cantrip with extra storm. Pulling off that kind of a epic RtS cantrip chain would make me want to sing the "uli uli song" throughout the entire process.

For additional context:
    I used to run Tin Fins into hardcast Emrakul at one point, SI with 4x AdN and 0x D4 at one point, monoblue OmniTell with Dig at one point, Bg Oozing with Buried Alive (Necrotic Ooze + Triskelion + Phyrexian Devourer) at one point, Modern Griselshoalbrand at one point, Modern Possibility Storm at one point, Modern Restore Balance at one point, Standard Polymorph into Emrakul at one point. So I guess this tells more about my preferred MtG playstyle than about the viability of the card itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    Dickstorm it is!! Awesome title for an awesome deck! From here on out I shall call it Dickstorm. So bad ass. The Ayer's Rock idea is not bad ass.

Anyway, Reiterate would be a cool trick but without rocks in play it's not that great. Possibly with a complete rebuild of the deck featuring 8 rocks it might have potential. I might toy around with this.

Sunbird's Invocation does look pretty amazing, however it hic-ups your turn unless you've got extra mana when you cast it. It's almost good enough but the deck still operates fine without it. Good suggestion though.
    Reiterate is a neat utility card that comes back to your hand and can be flashback'd. I used it mainly to save a countered spell, copy a counter... and counter it and my absolute favourite: copy an opponent's Tendrils after all his copies have been placed on the stack for the ultimate Storm drizzle (happened once, will make a note to fish-out the replay). Around the same time, we tested Reverberate and Dualcaster Mage... both serving the same purpose with pros and cons. In the end, Reiterate was the best of the 3... Only took it out of the list because I prefer to play aggressively as opposed to defensively.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I guess Ruby Red at least has an alliteration.

And your gimmick
    I thought of this as well...debated calling it 'nursing home', or 'grandpa storm'.

On a serious note, I agree on the difficulty of nailing down a budget version. Because it's suboptimal it really boils down to 'will you get enough mana fast enough with other sources', and the answer is usually 'no'. So it becomes a random collection of games where variance plays a part in what 'seems' to be correct in the budget version. But it's that variance that causes indecision, because truthfully I don't think one correct budget version exists. Plus, without LED you have a lot of ancillary decisions to make in deckbuilding: do you go all-in belcher-style, play a slower grindier game with more protection, do you max out on Medallion/Helm, do you bank on HUF, etc.

My approach is likely to go back to all-in on Warrens (3 maindeck, 1 side) and try to utilize Overmaster. It will be on average a turn slower for Tendrils wins, but likely on par with Empty combo turns. This is all until I get the LED's, which I hope to trade into. I have tons of legacy staples, just no LED's. I think I can trade into 1-3 of them fairly handily, as long as folks have them up for trade.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by vieko View Post
    Reiterate is a neat utility card that comes back to your hand and can be flashback'd. I used it mainly to save a countered spell, copy a counter... and counter it and my absolute favourite: copy an opponent's Tendrils after all his copies have been placed on the stack for the ultimate Storm drizzle (happened once, will make a note to fish-out the replay). Around the same time, we tested Reverberate and Dualcaster Mage... both serving the same purpose with pros and cons. In the end, Reiterate was the best of the 3... Only took it out of the list because I prefer to play aggressively as opposed to defensively.
    I toyed around with it last night. It's a cool trick with some back up utility but still just a trick. Couldn't get it to do much and too mana intensive and situational to be included overall. Just hogs up a slot (that's what she said) that should be something else.

How do you guys feel about Mindbreak Trap over Scab-Clan in the sideboard??
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    How do you guys feel about Mindbreak Trap over Scab-Clan in the sideboard??
    Wouldn't even consider it :) Berserker is too good and can be used in other matchups. For instance, sometimes I bring her in against Delver types (swapping two Guttersnipes for two Berserkers). I also bring her in against Reanimator... have won games vs. Lands with it... Loam is not that good when you take two every time you cast it ;)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I prefer permanents that are proactive to reactive cards that sit in hand.
    -rob

Makes sense, being reactive it gets nabbed by Duress. Just a thought. And what vieko said, you can use it to play aggressively.
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    On a serious note, I agree on the difficulty of nailing down a budget version
    I encourage you to try the build below – I sincerely don't think people give Guttersnipe enough credit as a kill condition. This may not be as explosive as having LEDs on board but, it carries more redundancy / resiliency to counters:

RUBY STORM BUDGET 1.0

15 LAND
    12 Mountain
    3 Crystal Veins

9 RITUAL
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song
    1 Desperate Ritual

4 MANA
    4 Lotus Petal

4 TUTOR
    4 Burning Wish

6 REDUCTION
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening

4 EXILE / PLAY
    4 Act on Impulse

4 MANA / DRAW
    4 Manamorphose

4 PEEK / DRAW
    4 Gitaxian Probe

3 DAMAGE
    3 Guttersnipe

3 FLASHBACK
    3 Past in Flames

3 STORM
    3 Empty the Warrens

1 DISRUPT / DRAW
    1 Reforge the Soul

SIDEBOARD
    2 Defense Grid
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Grapeshot
    1 By Force
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Shattering Spree

NOTES:
    - Crystal Veins in there only because we are thinking budget here... could easily be Ancient Tombs / City of Traitors
    - Guttersnipe should be 4 but... I know how much you dig Reforge the Soul ;)

Oct 2015
    Prague, CZ

Can I play young pyro instead of guttersnipe or is it just worse?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by jattra View Post
    Can I play young pyro instead of guttersnipe or is it just worse?
    i think you have to evaluate the two cards with their pros and cons

PROS
    pyro: cheaper, can provide a threat on its own after 1 spell. might confuse opponents a bit more as they can't figure out what deck you're playing.
    guttersnipe: can kill the same turn. more resilient to removal. more synergy with the deck.

CONS:
    pyro: dies to removal. dies to cards that deal with empty the warrens. doesn't really attack from a different angle.
    guttersnipe: dies to removal. costs 3 mana. sometimes can get stuck in your hand when you need something else.
    -rob

Played this deck in a competitive league earlier and went 3-2

Match 1 LOSS 0-2 vs Mono black(?) Re-animator

I didnt have much time to see what he was doing as a t2 iona closed out both games

Match 2 LOSS 1-2 vs R/B Re-animator

Won G1 by making 12 goblins on T1 (he probably didn't have the best hand)
    Lost G2 to another T2 Iona
    Lost G3 I had a Tormod's Crypt exile his Griselbrand in response to Reanimate and he was left with Thoughtseize and Animate Dead in hand. He top-decks faithless looting, into a second one and finds a ritual to animate that turn. 85% sure I would'e won if I could've untapped there.

Match 3 WIN 2-0 vs Eldrazi

Overall was just way too fast for him, both were turn 3 wins
    G2 he even had a chalice for 0 and 1 and I still went off fine

Match 4 WIN 2-0 vs Jeskai Control

G1 I had to fight through 2 FoW and an Engineered Explosives killing my LED (Maybe idk the format that well but I was surprised to see that main board)
    But I ended up pulling it off with a PiF in my grave to eat the last counter then casting another from hand to win around turn 4-5?

G2 was a T1 Defense Grid off of Ancient Tomb which shut off his counterspell heavy hand and let me win on turn 2 with a crazy draw

Match 5 WIN 2-0 vs ANT

G1 won on T2 off of a T1 Ruby Medallion
    G2 Scab-Clan Berserker on T2 killed him as he tried to combo

What ways do we have to deal with Iona, Shield of Emeria ? Just combo faster?
    Also while practicing a bit I ran into an enchantress deck w/ Solitary Confinement and couldnt deal with it

List for Reference:
    MANA
    4 Ancient Tomb
    10 Mountain
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion

Rituals
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

Draw
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Act on Impulse
    2 Reforge the Soul
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury

Tutors
    4 Burning Wish
    1 Gamble

Win-Cons
    3 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens

Sideboard
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Grapeshot
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Abrade
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    3 Defense Grid
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Cave-In

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbymoto View Post
    What ways do we have to deal with Iona, Shield of Emeria ? Just combo faster?
    Also while practicing a bit I ran into an enchantress deck w/ Solitary Confinement and couldnt deal with it
    Iona: Surgical Extraction, Karakas, Tormod's Crypt, splash black for t1 discard spells, Slaughter Pact, Noetic Scales, Gilded Drake, Curfew just to name a few. Probably grave hate x3-4 (surgical?) and heavy mulliganing into grave hate.

Solitary Confinement: All Is Dust, Oblivion Stone, Avarice Totem, Echoing Truth, Confusion in the Ranks, Chaos Warp, Steal Enchantment, Teferi's Realm, Paraselene, Reverent Silence, Apocalypse just to name a few. Probably a Wishboard sorcery (apocalypse or all is dust?) for the combo turn, can be offcolor thanks to Manamorphose and Lotus Petal.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    Iona: Surgical Extraction, Karakas, Tormod's Crypt, splash black for t1 discard spells, Slaughter Pact, Noetic Scales, Gilded Drake, Curfew just to name a few. Probably grave hate x3-4 (surgical?) and heavy mulliganing into grave hate.

Solitary Confinement: All Is Dust, Oblivion Stone, Avarice Totem, Echoing Truth, Confusion in the Ranks, Chaos Warp, Steal Enchantment, Teferi's Realm, Paraselene, Reverent Silence, Apocalypse just to name a few. Probably a Wishboard sorcery (apocalypse or all is dust?) for the combo turn, can be offcolor thanks to Manamorphose and Lotus Petal.
    Void Snare is wishable, not mana-intensive, and can hit other problem permanents. All Is Dust is intriguing.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I caught the MTGGoldfish games with Ruby Storm, pretty fun to watch. If it wasn't obvious before it should be obvious now to everyone, using LED or not, that playing 4x Act on Impulse is correct. We want to maximize the chance of hitting it off of HUF. I think Reforge is still dangerous against force of will decks, but still potent in any other matchup. I think it may be correct to play 1 main, 1 side. Will test. I really like Rampart's mix of rituals/sol lands/ssg's. I feel this is the best place to start with an optimized budget list (if one exists.)

I was really surprised how *little* Helm of Awakening helped opposing decks, and my own testing has started to show that as well. I guess Legacy is already built on efficiency so its not as risky as I thought.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Been following the deck since its inception. Nice work guys. Played quite a number of rounds, and the deck is really explosive but the draws can be pretty volatile at times. Definitely more resilient than Belcher when playing against a deck with counters.

I'm playing the LED version currently and one of thing I've noticed: we probably want at least 1 Grapeshot/EtW (I prefer Grapeshot) in the main for some extra versatility. It can help close games quicker by casting it into a PiF and casting it again or wishing for the second copy etc. We'll also still have an out if a surgical hits Burning Wish this way. Considering playing Blood Moon sb as well but slots are tight. Most likely going to stream while playing the deck in a league soon too.

Kind of Off topic but someone mentioned trading for LEDs. Do any of you use puca trade? I've signed up but haven't used it yet and was just curious on others' experience.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i used it for quite a while when i lived in the states, but always had to give a bonus % for any good cards. i have no idea what it's like now.

ramparts list is just my old list and he swapped maybe 4 cards. (including taking the tendrils out of the sb, which i still am annoyed with that this version was copied for goldfish guy.)

i'm fairly certain it's not the correct build these days and would start w/ vieko's recommendation. regarding the budget build long-term: i suggest you just play whatever you feel like and not worry about optimizing it. the LED build is much better. for the budget version just wait until a more broken card comes out to help the deck.

i suggest trying the new reduction card that can fork a spell. that would keep me interesting in running hazoret's in a budget build.

good recommendations Karhumies

i would also recommend tormod's crypt first

then karakas/slaughter pact.

karakas also helps vs thalia and leovold so it's not super bad. (and sneak/show/reanimator to a lesser extent) i used to run up to 3 karakas in the old doomsday lists, but that was with the old legendary rule.

to beat solitaire confinement if you need an out, just play the apocalypse. don't worry about this deck, nobody plays enchantress and if you even get paired vs it then oh well.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Freakonature_ View Post
    Been following the deck since its inception. Nice work guys. Played quite a number of rounds, and the deck is really explosive but the draws can be pretty volatile at times. Definitely more resilient than Belcher when playing against a deck with counters.

I'm playing the LED version currently and one of thing I've noticed: we probably want at least 1 Grapeshot/EtW (I prefer Grapeshot) in the main for some extra versatility. It can help close games quicker by casting it into a PiF and casting it again or wishing for the second copy etc. We'll also still have an out if a surgical hits Burning Wish this way. Considering playing Blood Moon sb as well but slots are tight. Most likely going to stream while playing the deck in a league soon too.
    I was advocating for this before. A lot of folks were cutting win conditions from the main deck, which I think is a mistake. The deck plays a lot like Belcher - especially if you're not running more cantrips and depending on the strength of your opening hand where mulligans become more aggressive.

regarding cards form the new set:
    Ashes of the Abhorrent - 1W
    Enchantment
    Players can't cast spells from graveyards or activate abilities from graveyards. When a creature dies, gain 1 life.

Slightly worse RiP, but looks like that side of apocalypse or other is going to be more needed, pending how much that gets played.

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    regarding cards form the new set:
    Ashes of the Abhorrent - 1W
    Enchantment
    Players can't cast spells from graveyards or activate abilities from graveyards. When a creature dies, gain 1 life.

Slightly worse RiP, but looks like that side of apocalypse or other is going to be more needed, pending how much that gets played.
    I don't see an existing shell which would prefer to run this over RiP. It would allow running Bitterblossom + Lingering Souls + Gurmag Angler (+ Tarmogoyf?) all in the same deck, but that sounds a lot more like Modern shenanigans than Legacy to me.

With Br Reanimator and Dredge in Legacy, 1W for grave hate seems awfully slow compared to Surgical, Grafdigger, Tormod, Extirpate, Nihil, Macabre, etc.

Thread Information