Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Mono Red Storm

Something like Pyromancer’s Goggles?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Feel free to try it, I thought it looked too expensive to cast.
    -rob

Love it, I'm going to run this at our weekly next week! (I only attend fortnightly due to life)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

that sounds awesome. i'm really happy some other people are going to play it.

will you have the new card by then?
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    that sounds awesome. i'm really happy some other people are going to play it.

will you have the new card by then?
    We allow 30 "playtest" cards so I'll just proxy em :)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

that's great.

i just tried a mtgo league without hazoret's and went 2-3.

ANT 0-2 (game 1 an AoI whiffed completely), game 2 i got crushed
    UR Delver 2-1 (game 1 i lost to aggro start)
    Red Stompy 2-1
    Food Chain (1-2) won g1, g2 and g3 multiple mindbreak trap + leovold in both games, also force of will in game 3.
    Czech Pile (1-2) won game 1. game 2 i mulled and kept a risky 6 nonland. promptly lost never drawing a land. game 3 i durdled around a bit. he had a strix and a snapcaster. he double thoughseized me but only hit a manamorphose and another ritual. he lands a leovold. only out here is using lots of AoI. i topdeck a chandra and have the past in flames in hand.

i can hope to chain off of the AoI. i cast desperate ritual, add RRR, cast PiF. he invasive surgery without the kicker thing. then i recast it. he FoW. then i cast chandra reveals burning wish. at this point i only have 1 red mana left. i cast wish anyway and he flusterstorms. sometimes they just have everything!

deck is obviously a lot more vulnerable to leovold without hazoret's. in this version the deck is more dependent on reforge the soul. had i landed a defense grid, i think i had the game. he abrupt decayed my grid before i got to go off.
    all in all i'm pretty satisfied with this draft considering it doesn't even have the most powerful card in the list.

the only match that was rough was the storm one, and i have beaten it a few times in the practice room...but you never know how good they are.

here's the ghetto version i played.

10 mtn
    4 tomb
    4 petal
    4 grid
    4 wish
    4 desperate
    4 helm
    4 ruby
    4 simian
    4 seething
    4 manamorphose
    4 act on impulse
    2 past in flames
    1 chandra, torch of defiance
    3 reforge the soul

sb:
    1 rite of flame
    1 apocalypse (seems fun w/ AoI, but probably terrible)
    1 grapeshot
    1 pyroclasm
    4 leyline of the void
    1 helm of obedience
    1 empty the warrens
    1 past in flames
    1 chandra, torch of defiance
    1 reforge the soul
    1 pulverize (what was i thinking?)
    1 by force

i think until next week this deck can work. the leyline helm wasn't so useful in these matchups, but vs reanimator it would have been great.

if i knew i was going to play against 3 blue decks 1 combo deck and a stompy deck...i would have played some pyroblasts probably. need to have a way of dealing with leovold. other option is running 2-3 fiery confluence, but i don't have them on modo.

there should also likely be a cave-in, which i have on my paper list.

worth double noting. leovold isn't THAT good against this deck compared to other storm decks....when the new card comes out. i'd say the strongest part of leovold is that he stops your manamorphoses from cantripping, which can be important.

chandra was also pretty great. it won me a game or two (even if it did just cycle a card during the combo turn)

-Rob
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

updated first post: list
    -rob

I'm curious whether a Faithless Looting/Mizzix's Mastery/Increaseing Vengeance package would work with the deck.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

As long as it would benefit the deck as a whole then it's worth trying. Looting does help put the inconsistencies with the deck. When I have used it though I rarely can find a card I want to discard other than past in flames!

Increasing vengeance is a good catch. Might be okay as a one of.

I've tried Mizzix's in the sb as a wish target and only got it one time to play around surgical extraction.

I'll try cutting 1 Helm and 1 grid for 2 looting. That should put the useful spellcount higher, which is sometimes needed. It also only costs R after past in flames. It's also a great hit off of hazoret's or AoI to get rid of chaff drawn by manamorphose or reforge.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 07-09-2017 at 04:24 AM.
    -rob

Honestly I hadn't seen that card before in a deck. It seems okay and it could be okay to do it for 2 or 3 on opponents end step before your combo turn.

The x spells would be a bit better depending on how many mana rocks you have in play too.

The only main issue is if you flip it with hazoret's, it's a dead card.
    Good point I was just looking at it currently.

As long as it would benefit the deck as a whole then it's worth trying. Looting does help put the inconsistencies with the deck. When I have used it though I rarely can find a card I want to discard other than past in flames!

Increasing vengeance is a good catch. Might be okay as a one of.
    To be honest, I got stuck on the idea of using Mizzix's Mastery and fork effects as a way to chain undying furies.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

yea that's fair. i think past in flames (3 in md, 1 sb) is usually strong enough to recast them. if there was another big bomb spell to hit i would be tempted.
    -rob

I've moved away from glass cannon and storm variants over the past few years but this has really piqued my interest.

I haven't been able to test your list in the OP just yet, but a few thoughts immediately come to mind:

1. Typical glass cannon can win t1 without being disrupted. If you plan on passing the turn, you open yourself up to discard, chalice, trinisphere, or any of the one U counterspells including daze and Force of will.
    Because of this, I was always happy with MonoR Sneak in the sense that it ran 4 chalice and 4 Blood moon. Running 8 must counter cards always felt right, so 4 Grid and 4 Moon could be the answer here.

2. You eluded to amazing cards in Vintage, so where is Lion's Eye Diamond!? With Act on Impulse and Past in Flames, it may as well be a Black Lotus. An old storm variant "Grinding station" used PiF and LED to grind out smaller storm counts, but I believe the deck's slow nature reduced its competitiveness. LED is a bomb here.
    Reforge the soul, like Wheel, IMO has that disgusting downside of giving your opponent a fresh 7 especially if you're attempting an early kill and they were forced to mull low.
    Have you considered burning inquiry? In this shell, it acts like an Ancestral AND disruption if sequenced properly.

3.Lastly, I would just like to touch on the board. Whether it was belcher or TES, I always wanted 7ish actual cards to board in for certain matchups with 8ish dedicated wish targets. I really like 4 pyroblasts here.

I look forward to actually testing this and chiming in with my two cents. We never got to play Mind's Desire in Legacy; this is as close as we're gonna get!

Edit: Someone eluded to modern mono red storm earlier. I'd like to see if locket of yesterdays is better than helm.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Lot to digest in here. I'm also a pretty avid combo player and am quite familiar with other stock lists.

This deck is only a glass cannon in the sense that it doesn't protect itself very well. I've been trying defense grid maindeck, and while I'm not completely sold on it maindeck, it has been proven quite good depending on the matchup.

What this deck does do rather well is overwhelm the opponent. I've had games where I've won through 5 counterspells.

Discard is already considered as there is enough redundancy through the spells and past in flames.

Cards like chalice aren't so useful in most builds of my deck, this is why I prefer desperate ritual over rite of flame. Chalice for 2 is usually too slow. Trinisphere is a problem, as it is for most decks, and a burning wish for an answer is required.

LED is a great card, and it could be great in this deck as well. It will require testing. The main issue here is card slots. There will also be some hands where it doesn't start the combo off or help you cast your reduction rocks.

It also provides opponent with a big incentive to chalice on 0. Feel free to try and let me know what you would cut for them.

The sb is really all over the place and feel free to try stuff out. The defense grids have been quite good so far and am not sure we need that much more disruption. An extra Pyroblast could help, I've tried them, but am not sold on them. I don't really feel inclined to protect any single spell, as they need to also have a clock or do something important. Otherwise you just go off in a turn or two again.

Locket of yesterdays is not better :)
    -rob

For protection don't forget the colorless xantid with it and grid maybe you have enough protection

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

played a quick league. went 1-4, but should have been 2-3 due to me not knowing that you place all spells from hazoret's on the stack instead of one at a time. if you do hit a past in flames with hazoret's, then make sure you click past in flames first!

first match, miracles.
    (should have been 2-0, but ended up 1-2)
    i beat him turn 2 game 1. game 2 i had gone off and flipped over rite of flame, past in flames, and act on impulse with a rock out. i clicked past in flames last, but it was the first resolved. unfortunately for me had i been able to recast both of those spells again i would have won. game 3 i mulled to 5 and he got an early jace and couldn't recover.

match 2, TES
    1-2
    it's just a race. he turn two'd me on game 2 and turn 1'd me on game 3.

match 3, i think it was bant deathblade
    2-0
    I had pretty much goldfish draws even though he had multiple FoW. i did have a turn 1 kill during one of the games.

match 4, Grixis Pyromancer running portent.
    1-2
    Game 1 i made 8 goblins, but he had 3 pyromancer and was able to draw some cantrips. (his starting 7 was 3 pyromancer, FoW and 3 lands. i had probed him. he died at 3, so if i had one more spell in opening hand, i had 2 ssg, then 10 goblins would have gotten there.)
    Game 2 i was able to combo off
    Game 3 he got there

match 5, ANT
    1-2
    game 1 he durdled a bit and i did too, but my keep of ancient tomb + a bunch of win conditions and mana didn't get there since after 5 draw steps i never drew a mountain, petal, or simian spirit guide.
    game 2 i beat him on turn 1.
    game 3 he beat me on turn 1. (i also had a turn 1 kill ready, but never got to my draw step!)

overall the deck felt pretty good. i don't mind losing to combo and the blue decks felt fine.
    -rob

Always been a sucker for this type of thing. Is there any reason we don't just go BR and run black rituals?

Eagerly await more results.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I tried some builds with black rituals and the main problem is that you can't chain a red ritual off of a black one. Since most of the business spells are red that I would want, I think it's better to stick to one color.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

r1: Jund (qbturtle15). on the draw.
    Game 1. he had no disruption and i won on t2 quite easily. he played a t2 deathrite.
    Game 2. he had duress and thoughtseize with 2 grim flayers. he also kologhan's command my ruby medallion. reforge the wheel gave me an easy win.

r2: 4 color control (olioolli)
    Game 1. i had a very strong turn 1, but fizzled after a bad hazzoret's (hit 1 act on impulse and 3 lands). he followed up his turn 1 DRS with leovold. then he brainstormed into a FoW. (i was able to burning wish for a past in flames, but when he FoW'd, it was exiled. drew dead after that.)
    Game 2. turn 1 ruby medallion off of mtn, ssg. he starts off with usea/ponder. shuffle. turn 2 14 goblins and a defense grid.
    chain was. manamorphose, desperate, act on impulse, petal, grid, song, warrens. he follows with a ponder/shuffle and DRS. i draw hazzorets. he plays statiscaster and attacks. ancient grudge on my ruby and grid. he played 2 deathrite shaman, jace, and two FoW. he won at 3 life.

r3: (tkc55) on play.
    Game 1: Ruby Medallion on turn 2 with 2 mtn. (he has t1 brainstorm, turn 2 decay, turn 3 mainphase brainstorm and sylvan library).
    he forces the end of my chain. obvious he's not too sure what to do. he pays 4 with sylvan and casts manipulate fate. reveals he's on foodchain. casts angler. i cast hazorets into mountain, mountain, mountain, tomb. (i had 11 lands left in my deck)

Game 2: turn 1 tomb grid which gets forced. (he pitches strix). he t1 ponder.
    i make 6 goblisn and pass. it felt like he had a 2nd force based on how long he waited he cast ponder and DRS.

haz into pif, aoi, song. that made up for the first game!

Game 3: opening hand of grid, manamorph, petal, 2 mtn, song, pif.

i go turn 2 grid. he decays it. my turn 3 i cast ruby, petal, manamorphose, song, aoi (he forces) i cast pif. he mindbreak traps. rough.
    he plays leovold. i play 2nd medallion. i dont recover. sometimes fow + mbt + leovold is good enough

r4. storm (surfin the bird)
    i win game 1 with a nice hazoret's topdeck into manamorphose, song, pif.

game 2 he beats me on turn 1 with a pretty nice pif loop chain. my hand was slow (turn 3)

he beats me on t1 again w/ land 3x dark ritual ad nauseam. not lucky vs ANT! i had a turn 2 kill ready.

r5. oath of nissa? looks like bg rock

ruby w/ mox petal
    draw reforge and win

g2 he has t0 llotv, i waited for a reforge but never got one

g3 turn 1 ruby. turn 2 hazorets into 8 goblins. he scooped. my next crd was a reforge (miracle) which unchallenged would win the game (i peeked after)
    9ga

overall. 2-3
    lost to ant with two turn 1 kills (still won a game)
    lost to izzet staticaster, then double fow + drs.
    lost to fow + mindbreak trap. game 1 whiffed hazorets into 4 lands.

beat jund and nicfit, as combo should. overall still happy with deck.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/689113#paper
    -rob

Would pyromancer's ascencion see play in this deck?

Thread Information