Page 30 of 98 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Just 4-1'd a competitive league. Will update match details if/when I have the time. I have it recorded on twitch if anyone wants to see it in action. Sound is on/off cause of copyrighted music though lol.

Match 1: ANT (2-1)
    Match 2: TES (1-2)
    Match 3: Lands (2-0)
    Match 4: Standstill (2-0)
    Match 5: Burn (2-1)

Quick thoughts, Hazoret's Undying Fury doesn't seem to be very good in the deck. Will probably remove it entirely. I find myself siding it out pretty much every game that I needed to bring in cards too. Besides that, I'm pretty happy with the rest of the deck currently. Maybe Gamble isn't needed as well but I can't be too sure about yet. Having played both versions, I do believe that the LED version is definitely stronger than the version without them.

List for reference:

MAIN

4 Lotus Petal
    4 LED
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Gamble
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening
    4 Act on Impulse
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    3 Past in Flames
    2 Reforge the Soul
    1 Grapeshot
    4 Ancient Tomb
    10 Mountain

SB

1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    2 Abrade
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Cave-in
    1 By Force
    3 Defense Grid
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Tendrils of Agony

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Just run my list, you're so close!

Oops it looks like I only posted 59 cards in my last post. I'll have to see what it is:

EDIT: went on modo and it looks like the last list i used was

2 ancient tomb
    2 city of traitors
    11 mountain

4 lion's eye diamond
    4 lotus petal

4 gitaxian probe
    4 rite of flame
    4 burning wish
    4 act on impulse
    3 past in flames
    2 reforge the wheel
    2 empty the warrens
    1 gamble

4 manamorphose
    4 seething song

4 ruby medallion
    1 helm of awakening

sb:

1 tendrils of agony
    2 abrade
    1 grapeshot
    2 scab-clan berserker
    1 empty the warrens
    1 past in flames
    1 cave-in
    1 reforge the soul
    1 by force
    1 tormod's crypt
    3 defense grid

i thought i was running 1 empty and 2 helm, but maybe i wasn't. or maybe i changed it after the match i had. i have no idea. empty definitely steals more wins than a maindeck grapeshot. the 15th land is playing it a little bit safer over the hazoret's.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Stop resisting the snipe.... he's SOOOOO good!

Quote Originally Posted by Freakonature_ View Post
    Just 4-1'd a competitive league. Will update match details if/when I have the time. I have it recorded on twitch if anyone wants to see it in action. Sound is on/off cause of copyrighted music though lol.

Match 1: ANT (2-1)
    Match 2: TES (1-2)
    Match 3: Lands (2-0)
    Match 4: Standstill (2-0)
    Match 5: Burn (2-1)

Quick thoughts, Hazoret's Undying Fury doesn't seem to be very good in the deck. Will probably remove it entirely. I find myself siding it out pretty much every game that I needed to bring in cards too. Besides that, I'm pretty happy with the rest of the deck currently. Maybe Gamble isn't needed as well but I can't be too sure about yet. Having played both versions, I do believe that the LED version is definitely stronger than the version without them.

List for reference:

MAIN

4 Lotus Petal
    4 LED
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Gamble
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening
    4 Act on Impulse
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    3 Past in Flames
    2 Reforge the Soul
    1 Grapeshot
    4 Ancient Tomb
    10 Mountain

SB

1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    2 Abrade
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Cave-in
    1 By Force
    3 Defense Grid
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    Just be aware that if a D&T player drops prelate on 2 you cannot win with the main board configuration. That requires your opp. to know what's going on but it could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post
    Just be aware that if a D&T player drops prelate on 2 you cannot win with the main board configuration. That requires your opp. to know what's going on but it could be an issue.
    I am running MD 1x EtW instead of 1x Grapeshot to dodge Chalice or Prelate on 2. Could be a meta call.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

the grapeshot will win you fewer games than empty.
    -rob

Oops it looks like I only posted 59 cards in my last post. I'll have to see what it is:

EDIT: went on modo and it looks like the last list i used was

2 ancient tomb
    2 city of traitors
    11 mountain

4 lion's eye diamond
    4 lotus petal

4 gitaxian probe
    4 rite of flame
    4 burning wish
    4 act on impulse
    3 past in flames
    2 reforge the wheel
    2 empty the warrens
    1 gamble

4 manamorphose
    4 seething song

4 ruby medallion
    1 helm of awakening

sb:

1 tendrils of agony
    2 abrade
    1 grapeshot
    2 scab-clan berserker
    1 empty the warrens
    1 past in flames
    1 cave-in
    1 reforge the soul
    1 by force
    1 tormod's crypt
    3 defense grid

i thought i was running 1 empty and 2 helm, but maybe i wasn't. or maybe i changed it after the match i had. i have no idea. empty definitely steals more wins than a maindeck grapeshot. the 15th land is playing it a little bit safer over the hazoret's.
    IMO aside from the sideboard this is almost exactly the same list I run and it feels correct. I run -1 Mountain -1 Helm +1 HuF and +1 Desperate Ritual. Yes I'm still on HuF. Sure it can whiff but to be honest it hasn't yet for me plus EtW, Seething Song, AoI, Manamorphose and Reforge are awesome to HuF into.
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

I ask this because I have never played storm before. With the inclusion of LED's and burning wish doesn't this play like a variant of TES more so than it's own flavor of storm?

Aside from that, I am still running 2 ssg to help jam a T1 ruby. Although, I apparently only had 3 sol lands (thought I had 4), so maybe just the 4th ancient tomb will make that easier. T1 ruby seems to be so crucial to going off that I would want as much access to it as possible.

For the naming convention of the deck, can we go with TRS- The Ruby Storm/The Reddest Storm? You get to pronounce it like tres which makes sense as ANT was first (uno), TES is second (dos), and Ruby Red would be 3 (tres).

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

so when vieko decided to use LED (more or less from the inception of the deck), he did explain the strength of the deck more of a TES deck than the traditional hazoret's builds at the time.

you can really consider this deck to be another variant of an LED storm deck. the main reason why this deck is its own variant is because it's doing something completely different.

it's not trying to sculpt its hand with cantrips (8-10 more in the other two decks) and protect itself with discard (the usual 6-7). it also doesn't rely on LED like ANT/TES do because of infernal tutor.

we get to play with cards like manamorphose, act on impulse, and lots of past in flames. we're not reliant on building our deck based on ad nauseam. we don't care about getting threshold. our deck also avoids getting steamrolled by leovold and thalia.

my original version is still pretty close to the builds that i started with.

cut some ritual and mana ramp effects and the hazoret's for the LED's+Probes. sadly i didn't test it earlier. truth be told, i didn't have the LED's on modo for a while. i sold off my collection about a year ago and i just play on my friends account. he picked up some LED's about a month ago and i was finally able to test it. the results are pretty telling.

i don't really want to talk about the name change anymore, this reminds me of when i had to come up with a band name. name will be revealed when website is ready to launch. will still be a while on that, as vieko and i are both rather busy these days.

edit:

this is what we share in common with TES (ant doesn't have wish or rite of flame...so far less as well):

4 burning wish
    4 gitaxian probe
    1 empty the warrens
    4 rite of flame
    4 lion's eye diamond
    4 lotus petal

this is far less in common than what most of the blue decks share with each other.

i don't think this is another version of TES based on my earlier points and showing how little in common it actually has with this deck.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by vieko View Post
    I encourage you to try the build below – I sincerely don't think people give Guttersnipe enough credit as a kill condition. This may not be as explosive as having LEDs on board but, it carries more redundancy / resiliency to counters:

RUBY STORM BUDGET 1.0

15 LAND
    12 Mountain
    3 Crystal Veins

9 RITUAL
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song
    1 Desperate Ritual

4 MANA
    4 Lotus Petal

4 TUTOR
    4 Burning Wish

6 REDUCTION
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening

4 EXILE / PLAY
    4 Act on Impulse

4 MANA / DRAW
    4 Manamorphose

4 PEEK / DRAW
    4 Gitaxian Probe

3 DAMAGE
    3 Guttersnipe

3 FLASHBACK
    3 Past in Flames

3 STORM
    3 Empty the Warrens

1 DISRUPT / DRAW
    1 Reforge the Soul

SIDEBOARD
    2 Defense Grid
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Grapeshot
    1 By Force
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Shattering Spree

NOTES:
    - Crystal Veins in there only because we are thinking budget here... could easily be Ancient Tombs / City of Traitors
    - Guttersnipe should be 4 but... I know how much you dig Reforge the Soul ;)
    I'm still sold on Gamble and Overmaster. Reforge is excellent in the sideboard, but dead maindeck against force of will decks (which are prevalent, to say the least.) I'm actually really close, closer than those changes would make it seem. I could easily see putting Guttersnipe into the deck, maybe in place of some number of Overmaster/Gamble. I think Snipe needs to be considered only on the combo turn, basically a tendrils you cast before rituals.

I think with a budget version that uses Helms, Desperate Ritual becomes better than SSG. It's about a 1/2 turn slower but just a desperate/seething can carry the combo turn, which is really what we need without the LED mana. I think one or the other is necessary to maintain speed (I noticed no SSG's in that list.)

Even Ancient Tomb would be considered budget IMHO. In my metagame that is full of wastelands, delvers, and leovolds I have made the decision for Vein because Wasteland kills Tomb/City anyways, so I almost always just play it during the combo turn or t1 to land a Medallion/Helm. It isn't unreasonable to just get some Tombs however. The defense grids are super affordable too. The deck, even with LED's, is budget as far as legacy is concerned.

I haven't had time to really work on this deck much, I've been preparing for a modern tournament happening on 9/16.

EDIT: Current list, Guttersnipe added for testing

4x Ruby Medallion
    2x Helm of Awakening

4x Rite of Flame
    4x Seething Song
    2x Desperate Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal
    1x Simian Spirit Guide

4x Gitaxian Probe
    3x Overmaster
    4x Act on Impulse
    4x Manamorphose

3x Past in Flames
    1x Hazoret’s Undying Fury
    1x Gamble

4x Burning Wish
    1x Empty the Warrens
    2x Guttersnipe

10x Mountain
    4x Crystal Vein

Sideboard
    1x Past in Flames (wish)
    1x Empty the Warrens (wish)
    1x Grapeshot (wish)
    1x Cave-In (wish)
    1x Tendrils of Agony (wish)
    1x By Force (wish)
    1x Reforge the Soul (wish)
    2x Blood Moon
    2x Pyroblast
    1x Tormod’s Crypt
    2x Scab-Clan Berserker
    1x ensnaring bridge

I could easily see Guttersnipe being really good, especially with reducers. Once opponent's know we are on a storm list they will prioritize discard and counters, not removal, g1. G2 we should be on the Empty plan anyways, streamlining with the right hate cards.

I can't help but notice that Act on Impulse is just better than Reforge. I want 1 reforge in the 75, but I don't think more than that. In the non-blue matchups its fantastic. Against the blue matchups its a liability. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, maybe with Overmaster I should be playing Reforge more aggressively.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

so when vieko decided to use LED (more or less from the inception of the deck), he did explain the strength of the deck more of a TES deck than the traditional hazoret's builds at the time.

you can really consider this deck to be another variant of an LED storm deck. the main reason why this deck is its own variant is because it's doing something completely different.

it's not trying to sculpt its hand with cantrips (8-10 more in the other two decks) and protect itself with discard (the usual 6-7). it also doesn't rely on LED like ANT/TES do because of infernal tutor.

we get to play with cards like manamorphose, act on impulse, and lots of past in flames. we're not reliant on building our deck based on ad nauseam. we don't care about getting threshold. our deck also avoids getting steamrolled by leovold and thalia.

my original version is still pretty close to the builds that i started with.

cut some ritual and mana ramp effects and the hazoret's for the LED's+Probes. sadly i didn't test it earlier. truth be told, i didn't have the LED's on modo for a while. i sold off my collection about a year ago and i just play on my friends account. he picked up some LED's about a month ago and i was finally able to test it. the results are pretty telling.

i don't really want to talk about the name change anymore, this reminds me of when i had to come up with a band name. name will be revealed when website is ready to launch. will still be a while on that, as vieko and i are both rather busy these days.

edit:

this is what we share in common with TES (ant doesn't have wish or rite of flame...so far less as well):

4 burning wish
    4 gitaxian probe
    1 empty the warrens
    4 rite of flame
    4 lion's eye diamond
    4 lotus petal

this is far less in common than what most of the blue decks share with each other.

i don't think this is another version of TES based on my earlier points and showing how little in common it actually has with this deck.
    ^^^ all of the above is exactly how it is :) Couple more notes on Rob's build: you have to be so disciplined with it (especially against blue decks)... it is so easy to just go for it and whiff! The longer you hold off on firing HUF, the higher your chances of becoming unstoppable. The idea is to force them to counter early threats while setting up reduction / lands and then: T4/T5 go off with HUF / Reforge. Then again, gambling is part of the intoxication nature of his list ;)

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I agree with that; this deck requires patience. The best part is that unless we're at 0 life, we can win, seriously. Past in Flames is that strong.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I could easily see Guttersnipe being really good, especially with reducers. Once opponent's know we are on a storm list they will prioritize discard and counters, not removal, g1. G2 we should be on the Empty plan anyways, streamlining with the right hate cards.
    I sincerely don't understand why there's such resistance to Guttersnipe... :) Believe me when I tell you: this card is excellent in this shell. The LED-less list I posted a few pages back went 4-1 easily yesterday on MODO.

EDITED: here's a screenshot from a private conversation with one of my opponents that is related to this subject:

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by vieko View Post
    I sincerely don't understand why there's such resistance to Guttersnipe... :) Believe me when I tell you: this card is excellent in this shell. The LED-less list I posted a few pages back went 4-1 easily yesterday on MODO.

EDITED: here's a screenshot from a private conversation with one of my opponents that is related to this subject:

I guess I wasn't clear, I think you've won me over to start playing it, lol. I'm starting with 2 copies. I think I can drop to 2x Overmaster and get a 3rd in there at some point, but I have to find them!
    Brainstorm Realist

Should we run Guttersnipe MD or SB? SBing in creatures when the opponent is likely to side out creature removal would have some surprise value.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

http://www.moxelder.com/2017/09/introducing-ruby-storm/

Small little interview and it also has vieko and my latest lists.

Interviewer asked for comments if possible.
    -rob

I've started using guttersnipes out of the board to mitigate grave hate since an unfortunate number of rest in pieces exist in my meta making past in flames a lot worse. Although, Vieko seems to be definitively on main decking the goblin which does seem to prompt concessions a lot sooner.

@mistercakes I get how having a website for a deck would be cool and all, but especially if you have you have a lot going on in your life no one is opposed to continuing on here. I guess it's just that I understand why you don't view it as a priority but I'm not sure why it was even a concern.

Wow!! Great interview guys!
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think Guttersnipe needs to be seen as a front-end Tendrils of Agony. If they counter it then it really helps to resolve other key spells (Pif, Wish, AoI, etc.) If they don't counter it, we can win with only rituals in hand, sometimes over 2 turns but more likely the same turn. The more I think about it, the more I like it. In some matchups, attacking for 2 isn't irrelevant either. It's got a variance factor (dead in some matchups with a lot of maindeck removal) but overall its just another threat that diversifies our spectrum. I think it could be argued for either main or side. I could easily see it sideboard, and then boarded in for Past in Flames. On that note...

Has anyone boarded out Past in Flames for hate? I know it sounds counterintuitive but against Rest in Peace/Surgical Extraction it's basically a dead card in the main. In the board it can still be grabbed with Burning Wish. I've done this a bunch of times, with the intent of going all-in on Blood Moon and Empty the Warrens. Thoughts? Anyone else hedging against grave hate by boarding out PiF?
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Sometimes I cut 1 pif. Depends on the amount of grave hate.
    -rob

Thread Information