Page 41 of 98 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I think the deck is pretty close to a standard build now (about 5-7 cards maindeck difference if you exclude choice of lands)

I actually don't like maindeck empty, but that's just a preference of mine. I'm finally sold on some. Number of guttersnipe, he's a great threat and if unchecked, you will the game shortly after.

I experimented with gifts ungiven again, but it wasn't as good as hoped for.

The only thing left for this deck is waiting for more cards to come out. Since it's mono red, they might not show up as often, but any analogue of act on impulse or manamorphose would be huge.

This deck will only get better in time, I don't think the same can be said for Belcher, ANT or TES.

Be mindful of the rise of miracles again, there may be a preference for running red blasts/pyroblasts if Counterbalance sees a lot more play again.

I'll finally have a chance to play a local again this week (after months), so I'll update after that.

Hope all is well with the rest.

I'm on 3 guttersnipe, 1 shreds, 1 helm, 0 empty, 1 gamble.
    Rest is pretty stock for my builds.
    Guttersnipes main or SB?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

3 main, but Copenhagen store is closed tonight, so no magic for me!
    -rob

Interesting. I wanted to wait til I could get to my laptop to write out.

Went 2-1 FNM legacy. Beat Tezzerator and storm. Lost to BUG shadow/delver but we did ID first anyway.

My list:
    13 land

3 tombs
    4 fetchs
    6 mountains

5 cheapeners

2 helm
    3 ruby

42 spells

4 faithless looting
    2 mizzix mastery
    2 reforge the soul
    1 past in flames
    1 tendrils of agony
    4 seething song
    4 probe
    4 rite of flame
    4 manamorph
    4 act on impulse
    4 petal
    4 leds
    4 burning wish

sb

1 reforge
    1 mizzix
    1 past in flames
    1 tendrils of agony
    1 empty the warrens
    3 defense grid
    2 pyroblast
    1 slaughter games
    1 flame slash
    1 cave-in
    1 by force
    1 abrade

I've been focusing on optimizing the deck to not whiff and it feels rather good in that aspect. faithless + mizzix's mastery is pretty damn good, and mizzix's on on its own gets overloaded a LOT. Burning wish into it with LED makes it pretty easy even without a ruby in play.

I've been drawing too many land, and specifically Ancient Tomb. Those numbers may change, but they felt very good friday night and in goldfishing.

I'd like to get away from empty the warrens, but it feels like a good panic button so far.

Flame slash is for leovolds and other hate bears, and because i have an altered one i like to play.

Not so much in recent postings, but I saw scab-clan in a few lists. Any thought on Demigod of Revenge? It's an lol card that could catch opponents off guard. The "recur" from graveyard is a bonus. I've luck-sacked a win or two by including them in Belcher. Doesn't get cheaper with rocks though.

Need to figure out some store credit nonsense, then plan on ordering this deck to play soon.

Keep posting, I have more to learn.

Went 2-1 (id for first) with the above list again at Tuesday Night legacy.

As of now the only changes I can even manage to think of would be sideboard stuff.

The silver bullets rarely come into play, but they are there for a reason. Testing the Slaughter Games my secret santa gave me. Haven't needed it YET, but silver bullets etc. I don't need Flame Slash all the time, but when I do, THAT'S the thing I need.

the third defense grid he gave me has been awesome. as well as the pyroblasts.

As much as I don't Empty the Warrens, sometimes that is the answer.

Last round played against my friend on Grixis delver. Whiffed on an Act on Impulse that he got a bit lucky on. Also game one he kept a Daze, daze, FOW hand that rocked me pretty hard. He was able to back it up with Young Pyro aggro to clock me faster than I can topdeck gas. Our game 2 I had an unfortunate reforge that gave him the FOW. My mana relied on the Petal I drew and he knew to FOW it. We've known each other long enough that he can smell the lynch pins in my combos regardless of if he's seen it before. I can usually smell his answers as well, but I don't not go for it, especially when I was dead on board otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    , but I don't not go for it, especially when I was dead on board otherwise.
    If it were me, I'd have done the same thing. Even if lethal wasn't on board, I don't think anything is gained by waiting with this deck if you've got the gas to go (most of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    If it were me, I'd have done the same thing. Even if lethal wasn't on board, I don't think anything is gained by waiting with this deck if you've got the gas to go (most of the time).
    sometimes waiting a turn for a bigger payout to fight through counters is worth it. Feel like I'm getting a good feel for those situations now though.

Faithless Looting and Mizzix's Mastery are very good and I recommend everyone try them out if you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    sometimes waiting a turn for a bigger payout to fight through counters is worth it. Feel like I'm getting a good feel for those situations now though.

Faithless Looting and Mizzix's Mastery are very good and I recommend everyone try them out if you haven't.
    Yeah, that may be true. I don't have a ton of experience vs counter. My thought process was more in line with if I don't have what I need to go off, I still try to and gamble (ha... ha...) that I draw into it with my cantrips. And if I don't, then I PIF and do it all over again.

I had FL in as my flex slots that I swapped out for shreds of sanity and I think I like the latter better although I was happy with FL in the first place. These were originally Reforge for me. Maybe its because I'm not running LED at the moment though. I see you still have 2 reforge in your main. I keep one in my SB for the cases where it won't hurt me but I'm still leery of giving my opponent a fresh grip. It's bit me too many times. I assume this hasn't been a problem for you?

I'll give mizzix a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Yeah, that may be true. I don't have a ton of experience vs counter. My thought process was more in line with if I don't have what I need to go off, I still try to and gamble (ha... ha...) that I draw into it with my cantrips. And if I don't, then I PIF and do it all over again.

I had FL in as my flex slots that I swapped out for shreds of sanity and I think I like the latter better although I was happy with FL in the first place. These were originally Reforge for me. Maybe its because I'm not running LED at the moment though. I see you still have 2 reforge in your main. I keep one in my SB for the cases where it won't hurt me but I'm still leery of giving my opponent a fresh grip. It's bit me too many times. I assume this hasn't been a problem for you?

I'll give mizzix a shot.
    I have defense grid in the SB, that usually locks them out regardless of cards. Even in scenarios where it refuels them, it usually also refuels me more. The redundancy alloted with Mizzix's allows for plays like: Tendrils, gets flusterstormed. Ok. Mizzix's mastery recast. then Burning wish mizzix again. All possible in same turn. Once reforge goes off I usually start stacking helms/rubys for additional benefit.

Reforge is also great with mizzix's. Also been considering trying to slot in 1 Hazoret's undying. Considering -4 act on impulse for +1 reforge +1 mizzix +1 past in flames +1 HUF.

I feel like there are quite a few cards that can just jam in the deck. I've been trying to find the right mix that allow for the least dropped combos.

3-0 at fnm with the same 75 now.

7-2 total with that 75. I call it the secret santa 75.

Beat TES in 2. Unlucky Ad Naus put him to 1. Pass turn. Burning wish-cave in to finish it.

Beat burn in 3. Sick line where I tendrils with a pyroatatic pillar out. Him at 4. Me at 20. Eventually had to empty the Warren's. If he had 2 fireblast I would have died. He did not. Burn and other aggro solidify tendrils maindeck for me.

Beat BUG shadow in 3.

No crazy plays here. Game 3 he had a bunch if Dazes. I laughed at them. He did kill a few Ruby's in the process though.

Starting to feel very good about the deck.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/ri...irates-pillage

We may have a new toy, maybe not. What do you guys think?

Pirate's Pillage
    3R sorcery, additional cost discard a card

Draw 2 cards and create 2 treasure artifact tokens. (Basically token lotus petals)

Previously mentioned Demigod, that was a dumb dumb comment. Was unfamiliar with deck and goals.

But, as i purchase pieces and peruse lists, as far as sweepers go, any thought on blasphemous act (instead of singleton abrade)? Only benefit of flame slash seems to get under Gaddock, or cave-in hitting opponents. As far as costs go, Act should be so easy to cast, and is nigh guarantee to kill everything non-indestructible/emmy/tnn.

Food for thought.

Regrading the pirate, most analogous seems to be faithless, this is plus two mana, but more expensive to cast, cost a card upfront instead of resolution, has no inherit flashback. I'm encouraged, but not overly impressed. Needs three/two rocks, to make near broken, ergo, not really. Don't consider this strong enough to be a 1-of, nor a 4-of.
    Last edited by ahg113; 01-03-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthawk View Post
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/ri...irates-pillage

We may have a new toy, maybe not. What do you guys think?

Pirate's Pillage
    3R sorcery, additional cost discard a card

Draw 2 cards and create 2 treasure artifact tokens. (Basically token lotus petals)
    I think it's good, not great. With a reducer it's better than looting because you draw 2, discard 1, then get 2 mana. I like that the tokens can make black mana for Tendrils. I think Shreds of sanity is likely still better, and that card isn't an auto-include, it needs ro be explored more.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

the artifact seems okay, good for MRS against gravehate + snapcaster + improving the reanimator matchup + deathrite shaman.

hopefully we'll get some new toys with this set and the dominaria set upcoming in the next few months. i'm not really interested in trying out cards that are bad versions of current cards.

pillage could be okay, being able to draw 2 for 2R does seem okay, needing 2R with a rock isn't small though, but finishing with 2 cards and RR available after still merits a little testing. start with a playset and see where it goes from there.

Actually it seems the same as tormenting voice, except slightly better in some situations where you have to pass the turn.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 01-03-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Previously mentioned Demigod, that was a dumb dumb comment. Was unfamiliar with deck and goals.

But, as i purchase pieces and peruse lists, as far as sweepers go, any thought on blasphemous act (instead of singleton abrade)? Only benefit of flame slash seems to get under Gaddock, or cave-in hitting opponents. As far as costs go, Act should be so easy to cast, and is nigh guarantee to kill everything non-indestructible/emmy/tnn.

Food for thought.

Regrading the pirate, most analogous seems to be faithless, this is plus two mana, but more expensive to cast, cost a card upfront instead of resolution, has no inherit flashback. I'm encouraged, but not overly impressed. Needs three/two rocks, to make near broken, ergo, not really. Don't consider this strong enough to be a 1-of, nor a 4-of.
    blasphemous act is kinda of lose more. If opponent has 5 creatures, you probably already lost.

I go cave in and flame slash for the cheapness. Pyoclasm is also good though.

the artifact seems okay, good for MRS against gravehate + snapcaster + improving the reanimator matchup + deathrite shaman.

hopefully we'll get some new toys with this set and the dominaria set upcoming in the next few months. i'm not really interested in trying out cards that are bad versions of current cards.

pillage could be okay, being able to draw 2 for 2R does seem okay, needing 2R with a rock isn't small though, but finishing with 2 cards and RR available after still merits a little testing. start with a playset and see where it goes from there.

Actually it seems the same as tormenting voice, except slightly better in some situations where you have to pass the turn.
    I don't know that pillage is worse. It adds 2 mana rocks.

its like somewhere combined a tormenting voice and manamorphose.

Though thinking of plays...tormenting likely costs R and draws 2. Pillage likely costs 2R adds RR and draws 2 netting -1 mana. Definitely evens out unless you have 2 Rubies, in which case, probably already winning? It's more difficult to get to 3-4 than it is to get to 1-2 though. especially early game.

Once the storm is growing though it gets better. Too big of a thing for too little I think though.

Chandra, Torch of Defiance. Kinda like a guttersnipe, but not. Too cute and unnecessary, or a valid plan b kill card? Thinking too cute, as it takes a while to ultimate, but the mana ramp is nice.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I had Chandra in the original hazoret's builds, it was solid, but it doesn't really help the major game plan enough.

Feel free to keep trying it though, bc the card is good Vs a lot of the field in general.
    -rob

I had Chandra in the original hazoret's builds, it was solid, but it doesn't really help the major game plan enough.

Feel free to keep trying it though, bc the card is good Vs a lot of the field in general.
    i picked them up for this deck. never ran them. Never felt like i NEEDED to run them.

or guttersnipe for that matter.

deck feels like you can jam a different like 20 cards and probably be fine.

I'm at a point where act on impulse feels like the worst card to me.

I may try this new pillage thing in that slot at least gold fishing, but probably not the answer.

Thread Information