Page 44 of 98 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Baby making, the ultimate home brew! Congrats!

LOL mistercakes baby

babycakes

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    LOL mistercakes baby

babycakes
    If this was facebook I would like this post.

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

So I've really been enjoying this deck and I really enjoy trying to find new tech. Has anyone tried a Fork effect yet?
    Once you go Legacy...

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

we tried fork (or the m11 one) and also dualcaster mage was tested. i believe vieko said that dualcaster was fine as a 1 of.

we also tried using the one with buyback, as if you have 2 rocks in play and a seething song you could generate infinite storm.

cast seething song, cast reiterate with buyback (get enough mana to cast it with buyback over and over again etc). i can't recall if 1 or 2 rocks gave you infinite storm (an additional rock would generate infinite mana).

keep in mind you can only do buyback if it's in your hand, not flashed back. it was cute, dunno how good it was.

thanks for all the congrats. keeps me busy! hopefully i'll be able to start making my weekly a bit more often in the next few months.

also - my brother unfortunately got stuck with baby cakes for a few years when he was in high school. fortunately for everyone it's been decades.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

So I don't mind posting now bc I likely won't get enough games in with this configuration.

I was testing the two portal draw 4 discard 3 at random. In goldfishing it was quite good.

Unfortunately during my pile matchups I was against turn 2 Leovold on the play several games.

The card is still very good and bonkers if played from the graveyard.

I'll be testing something else in the next few weeks but may revert back to the draw 4s.

Its also an excellent turn 2 play to set up for a turn 3 kill if you don't have a Ruby.

There's times when luck will screw you over, but generally it's more good than bad.
    -rob

Used Google to find those card names, effects were unfamiliar. Came across this thread, fun reading.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...raw-discussion

Tell me again that Daretti, Scrap Savant is a bad card for us. It seems like fun, filtering cards, getting back petals or LEDs. Very silly though, I know.
    Last edited by ahg113; 01-18-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

It's a bad card for us. :)

If I'm weldering I want some good artifacts.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    we tried fork (or the m11 one) and also dualcaster mage was tested. i believe vieko said that dualcaster was fine as a 1 of.

we also tried using the one with buyback, as if you have 2 rocks in play and a seething song you could generate infinite storm.

cast seething song, cast reiterate with buyback (get enough mana to cast it with buyback over and over again etc). i can't recall if 1 or 2 rocks gave you infinite storm (an additional rock would generate infinite mana).

keep in mind you can only do buyback if it's in your hand, not flashed back. it was cute, dunno how good it was.

thanks for all the congrats. keeps me busy! hopefully i'll be able to start making my weekly a bit more often in the next few months.

also - my brother unfortunately got stuck with baby cakes for a few years when he was in high school. fortunately for everyone it's been decades.
    Family history name? even better!

so was he babycakes and you are mistercakes?

Are you talking about Goblin Lore?!?!?!

Goblin lore is a pretty hard sell to me.

I'll test them.

It'll likely replace faithless and reforge, but I LOVE both of those cards. I don't have a good track record with "at random" OR with "Draw 4's"

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

yea and control of the court (i tried 3 of each and eventually ended up playing more guttersnipes).

i think i'll have to test some more cards if i can before settling back on them, but overall they were fine. they also net 0 cards if played from the hand. (faithless is -1, reforge is a bit tough to cast some games which is why i've cut them maindeck, but they are powerful vs the non blue decks. i'd say it's more meta dependent on whether you want to run them)

from the graveyard the lore/court will actually net you a card, and after you cast a few probes/manamorphose first it's pretty great to draw 4 discard 3 at random when you already have 3/4 cards in hand while it's on the stack.

looting might be better overall as it gives you control, but sometimes the negative card advantage can really creep up on you.
    -rob

yea and control of the court (i tried 3 of each and eventually ended up playing more guttersnipes).

i think i'll have to test some more cards if i can before settling back on them, but overall they were fine. they also net 0 cards if played from the hand. (faithless is -1, reforge is a bit tough to cast some games which is why i've cut them maindeck, but they are powerful vs the non blue decks. i'd say it's more meta dependent on whether you want to run them)

from the graveyard the lore/court will actually net you a card, and after you cast a few probes/manamorphose first it's pretty great to draw 4 discard 3 at random when you already have 3/4 cards in hand while it's on the stack.

looting might be better overall as it gives you control, but sometimes the negative card advantage can really creep up on you.

Reforge typically counteracts that.

Defense Grids come in over probes when i SB and the blue matchups dont feel bad.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

yep, i'm just continuously testing. i've found that defense grid doesn't do much vs the decks with abrupt decay + kolaghan's command. vs a delver deck or miracles deck defense grid is much better. don't get me wrong, i like that they are killing grid over my ruby, but that's how many of my games have played out.

btw the deck i lost to the other day had

preboard:

flusterstorm, force, spell pierce, thoughtseize, leovold, drs, decay, kolaghan's command and hymn.

postboard he added to that more flusterstorm, hydroblasts, and surgical.

it wasn't great! we played some games afterwards and i had won 1 out of 5 games total. i did lose the first game when he had turn 2 leovold because i had to tendrils him for exact+2 and he drew a FoW and a spell pierce while I only had 1 mana available.
    -rob

yep, i'm just continuously testing. i've found that defense grid doesn't do much vs the decks with abrupt decay + kolaghan's command. vs a delver deck or miracles deck defense grid is much better. don't get me wrong, i like that they are killing grid over my ruby, but that's how many of my games have played out.

btw the deck i lost to the other day had

preboard:

flusterstorm, force, spell pierce, thoughtseize, leovold, drs, decay, kolaghan's command and hymn.

postboard he added to that more flusterstorm, hydroblasts, and surgical.

it wasn't great! we played some games afterwards and i had won 1 out of 5 games total. i did lose the first game when he had turn 2 leovold because i had to tendrils him for exact+2 and he drew a FoW and a spell pierce while I only had 1 mana available.
    That is definitely a lot of tools. I've found that BUG delver is actually the worst feeling. OR even Shardless.

You don't want to test the easy matchups though right?

Defense grid stops all that when comboing out. Why i stick with reforge. That also may be the matchup where you warrens real hard and try to outrace them. Likely they have marsh casualties and toxic deluge though too. Where do they get those wonderful toys?!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Yea he had maindeck deluge, but I don't really rely on the goblin plan. My sb had 3 grids but he just blew them up immediately after.

Pile is also the most played deck in eu, or at least roughly even with delver.
    -rob

Yea he had maindeck deluge, but I don't really rely on the goblin plan. My sb had 3 grids but he just blew them up immediately after.

Pile is also the most played deck in eu, or at least roughly even with delver.
    that confuses me. He had 6 mana?

nvm.

I don't like goblins either. But sometimes they get the job done.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i have 1 empty in the sb for wishing. my games were all won with tendrils or guttersnipe, except one with goblins.

also grid feels like overkill in the delver/miracles matchups. i'd rather just play more threats. pile is the one deck where i'd love to keep it, but most of the time it's just going to get killed or countered. if their draw is slow it's fine and you'll get there, but the odds are stacked in their favor. it's possible we just don't win that one consistently. it is highly played though, so i never really want to just take my chances on dodging that matchup.
    -rob

i have 1 empty in the sb for wishing. my games were all won with tendrils or guttersnipe, except one with goblins.

also grid feels like overkill in the delver/miracles matchups. i'd rather just play more threats. pile is the one deck where i'd love to keep it, but most of the time it's just going to get killed or countered. if their draw is slow it's fine and you'll get there, but the odds are stacked in their favor. it's possible we just don't win that one consistently. it is highly played though, so i never really want to just take my chances on dodging that matchup.
    POssibly go the Overmaster route post SB? I also recommend flame slash AND Abrade for leovold. Flame slash is wishable. Slow, but good. Pyroblast is great too. My czech pile friend keeps telling me, but defense grid usually does what I want as well.

Grid has been an allstar for me. I actually bring it in V burn/UR delver as well, which is pretty heavy in my meta.

Also v storm as they'll often have flusterstorm post sb.

with grid and reforge I usually can just lock them out of interacting with me at all while i go off. Stops surgical too.

2 helms mean if I am going big-big I can play for free and they either have to counter that or not counter anything and it usually takes the 1 counter they have.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

yep, you don't have to sell me on grid, i've played it more or less since the beginning. i think you should just play a lot vs czech pile and see how it fairs you. flame slash is cool too. i'm thinking for games that i don't have a chance winning and have a burning wish, maybe play a fiery gambit in the sb. you have a 12% chance of drawing 9 cards and untapping your lands, as long as they have a creature in play...which is usually the case when you would be put in such a situation.

i don't like overmaster, it's best point is that it is a cantrip for R. i can see a better argument for running pyro/red blasts though. i'll probably play some of them in the next build, i like that they can counter show and tell as well.
    -rob

yep, you don't have to sell me on grid, i've played it more or less since the beginning. i think you should just play a lot vs czech pile and see how it fairs you. flame slash is cool too. i'm thinking for games that i don't have a chance winning and have a burning wish, maybe play a fiery gambit in the sb. you have a 12% chance of drawing 9 cards and untapping your lands, as long as they have a creature in play...which is usually the case when you would be put in such a situation.

i don't like overmaster, it's best point is that it is a cantrip for R. i can see a better argument for running pyro/red blasts though. i'll probably play some of them in the next build, i like that they can counter show and tell as well.
    bonus that they kill resolved things like leovold as well.

I put in flame slash because I have an altered one. I was looking through my binder like "i want a 1 mana red sorcery that can kill a leovold." when i saw my sweet mad max flame slash i made this face:

!O.O!

Thread Information