Page 59 of 98 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    If it is explosive enough, and it provides enough engine cards like I think it will, I might audible to that deck instead of Nic Fit or Slow Depths at the 1K this weekend.
    Where is the 1k this weekend?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

It's at The Complex in Scarborough, Maine. Doors open at 10:00am, tournament starts at 11:00am
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

I took this bad boy to its first rodeo:

10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Empty the Warrens
    3 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    4 Helm of Awakening
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Manamorphose
    3 Past in Flames
    3 Reforge the Soul
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Seething Song
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

sideboard

1 Cave-In
    1 Empty the Warrens
    3 Defense Grid
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Mizzix Mastery
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Chain Lightning

Went 2-1 vs Grixis Control
    1-2 vs BUGpost
    2-1 vs BUG Chain
    2-1 vs Dredge
    2-1 vs Grixis Control

I was thinking about trying to make space for a transitional DragonStorm sideboard, since casting big dragons through medallions works wonders against a world filled with pierce, flusterstorm and spell snare.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

that's pretty great to beat 3 blue decks. i love seeing things like this. what happened vs Bugpost? wtf is bugpost?

would you be able to go into a little detail about how you interacted during those matchups?

were they empty-based wins? did you fight through lots of counters with reforge/pif?

how come only 2 act on impulse?

and any chance you'll be testing with bonus wish?

i'm not sure the sb can support a dragonstorm board as you'll need 4-6 dragons and X copies of dragonstorm. perhaps you could run 4-6 dragons and a single copy of dragonstorm as a wish target, but at that point i'm not sure it's worth it.

(also noted that i do like the 4 petal 4 ssg 10 mtn amount of initial red sources. the lack of initial red sources has always been a pain point for the deck.)
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think we are seeing the potential of the brute-force approach come to light even more. That list is jam-full of must-counter engine cards/threats. When every spell you ramp into is must-counter it seems that eventually they will run out of counters.

I'm still a little skeptical about Reforge the Soul, but that seems like an easy spot for Bonus Round if I were to take this approach.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    what happened vs Bugpost? wtf is bugpost?
    Bug post is like 12 post, except it plays typcial BUG spells and things like Prime Time to get the posts.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Got a list? What is the ub? Show and tell? Discard?
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I am guessing an evolution of this deck:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Turbo-Eldrazi
    Brainstorm Realist

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

So testing with Bonus Round leads to some conclusions that are hard for me to resolve.

You are way more incentivized to run spells over artifacts because the artifacts don't interact with BR at all. But the Artifacts are all better when you are on a non BR game plan. So that leads to the deck sort of wanting to go down two separate paths, one for BR and one for the other engines. The sweet spot is where you can have cards that work with both plans.

It's not just the artifacts, the draw spells are way way better if they are naturally cheap, compared to things like Act on Impulse which is mostly terrible with BR unless you have 2 cost reducers in play already. If you are already incentivized to have cheaper cantrips, then the mana reducers get less good overall as well.

I’m wondering if a more spell focused version with a minimum or perhaps even no cost reducers could be a thing for bonus round. More like TES or Belcher.

The problem being the rituals are less good on their own in general, and the cantrips in red are pretty wanting, they don’t dig super effectively so running ones that are only good after a bonus round has already resolved is pretty lackluster.

I’m going to try a Gamble heavy list with less cost reducers and try to tutor them up when necessary and early but then once having one, gamble is still a good card post BR resolving.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Yeah BUG post is cloudpost but with BUG spells .

Almost all games were overkills, when i went off i either did like 30 gobs or grapeshot to the face. Because i ran hazoret undying fury you can always reveal a random etw guarantee yourself some value from.the flips. The deck felt really good. Tendrils is needed since g1 against bugpost he went for t3 show and tell the titan searching glacial chasm, and tendrils was my only out. Vs all the blue decks i just kept on trying and eating forces, but because i ran 3 past in flames i'm literally putting them in check every turn. Against g3 vs bugpost i'm 99% sure i miscounted and i actually had a kill. Also there's a typo, last round it was 2-0 vs grixis control, not 2-1. Also running less than 8 medallions seems heavily suspicious, and i wouldn't run things like gamble since you just want raw cards, not something in specific.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Another thing is that Reanimator is your worst matchup, but you can maybe try to do this: Pack 4 black leylines, 4 helm of obedience. Yeah it kinda leaves you with less sideboard options but maybe it exists the possibiluty that a resolved hazoret undying fury just flips your missing combo piece (of both)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Agreed with most points, except that AoI is still amazing with LeD.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Agreed with most points, except that AoI is still amazing with LeD.
    I would argue it's amazing with only one reducer, too. Doubling it with Bonus Round, even at 2 mana, is pretty ridiculous. Paying the full 3 and doing it with Bonus Round does seem to be a stretch, basically needing a pair of Seething Songs (which nets you 7 mana, 6 for those 2 and one mana left over to continue the chain.)
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by owerbart View Post
    I took this bad boy to its first rodeo:

10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Empty the Warrens
    3 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    4 Helm of Awakening
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Manamorphose
    3 Past in Flames
    3 Reforge the Soul
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Seething Song
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

sideboard

1 Cave-In
    1 Empty the Warrens
    3 Defense Grid
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Mizzix Mastery
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Chain Lightning

Went 2-1 vs Grixis Control
    1-2 vs BUGpost
    2-1 vs BUG Chain
    2-1 vs Dredge
    2-1 vs Grixis Control

I was thinking about trying to make space for a transitional DragonStorm sideboard, since casting big dragons through medallions works wonders against a world filled with pierce, flusterstorm and spell snare.
    Congratulations on your good result.
    Re brute force build, how do you think about reforge the soul?
    I start to dislike the card more and more as the card always draws my opponent Force of Will. Or they just kill me with bolts with the cards drawn.

I am sticking with fury at the moment. As the card seems a better payoff in a blue meta

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

seems a bit like my build from last year:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1015922

(ignore the sb)

i did a ton of testing with this and ended up not being super thrilled with reforge. it is extremely great vs non blue and mediocre vs blue.

that's my takeaway from it!
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
    Congratulations on your good result.
    Re brute force build, how do you think about reforge the soul?
    I start to dislike the card more and more as the card always draws my opponent Force of Will. Or they just kill me with bolts with the cards drawn.

I am sticking with fury at the moment. As the card seems a better payoff in a blue meta
    This has always been my opinion as well. I still have 1x Reforge in the sideboard because against non-blue decks it can pull a win out of nowhere.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i'm less worried about the counterspells and more for the chance that they have surgical extraction as well. also using reforge to rip into empty is a bit risky for some decks as they can kill you on their next turn or they can wipe the board.
    -rob

I agree with ReAnimator, spells > artifacts in a bonus round deck. I really dont know if it belongs in this thread or if it's a new deck entirely but i cut all reducers, LED and act on impulse and added desperate rituals and preordain, brainstorm and meditate. Deck seems very strong so far, mostly goldfishing but also registered it in an IRL legacy league, only played two games so far vs stoneblade and moon stompy and won both, but will see how it goes in the rest of the league. Preordain with bonus round is insanely good at digging. Brainstorm is kind of meh with BR, but brainstorm is brainstorm... I tried Gifts and Pieces of the Puzzle in the meditate slot, but i really like the raw drawing power of meditate. Skipping multiple turns is probably game over, but never happened so far. The deck could support FOW, which i might try but don't know if the card disadvantage will be to much.

I'm mostly scared of permanent based hate like scab clan berserker, thalia or thorn/trinisphere, fow could help with those. Graveyard hate can be scary depending on how the game folds out, but counterspells and discard is not such a big problem in my opinion.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

so if you looked back for the last few weeks, i was pairing desperate ritual over LED with bonus round. after lots of testing, LED is still just a stronger card. bonus round is great with desperate ritual...no complaints there.

desperate ritual on its own....not very good. it's pretty strong with a rock in play, but overall it's a tier 2 kind of card.

whenever you cast act on impulse, it's very rare you're unhappy to see an LED, but desperate sometimes leaves you in an awkward spot.

i like that bonus round can be played in 2 or even 3 color decks, but the manabase is a bit choppier and this leaves you open to wasteland + all the other hate-based cards. additionally, you don't have the protection that a deck like ANT has because it's running optimal numbers of the other cards.

just my 2 cents.

i would start a new thread for something that is incorporating a lot of blue cards in it.

-Rob

i did a hand on cockatrice goldfishing, turn 2 on the play.

what is your line of play?

here's the list for reference:
    // 60 Maindeck
    // 14 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Helm of Awakening

// 11 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    3 Lightning Bolt

// 14 Land
    11 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb

// 21 Sorcery
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Bonus Round
    1 Gamble
    1 Empty the Warrens

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Instant
    SB: 2 Abrade

// 13 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Bonus Round
    SB: 1 Banefire
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Gitaxian Probe
    SB: 1 Gamble
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Dark Petition

(scroll below for what i would do) . in hindsight this hand doesn't exemplify LED over desperate ritual, i think in this case you actually can end up with the same result. if you don't have a bonus round in this hand i think it's an easy one of these: RoF, petal, led, burning wish (crack led for BBB), get dark petition -> empty the warrens for 12 goblins. with desperate ritual you get RoF, petal, desperate, burning wish -> empty for 10 goblins.

cast petal, rof, bonus round, led, burning wish and crack led in resp.
    (rite of flame + gamble). cast RoF, go up to 8 mana. cast gamble (7) fetch for burning wish and past in flames, discarding both.

flash back past in flames, cast rite of flame (7 mana). cast bonus round again. (4) cast the other rite of flame (11 mana).

cast burning wish. 4 cards this time. get probe, fiery confluence, grapeshot, bonus round.

cast bonus round (8 mana). cast probe (draw 8 cards). you have lethal here since you can confluence for 48 damage, but if you want to do stupid things for fun you can.

and this one? (turn 2 on the play, just drew another mountain)

and this one turn 1 on the play

Last edited by mistercakes; 06-15-2018 at 06:41 AM.
    -rob

That second one I might ship for not enough gas, but PIF and Wish can get draw more stuff. being at 4 mana is awkward. I'd prob wait a turn for max mana ramp if I could.

That last one is hot though. I'd likely run it into a Reforge with R floating, but I'm very comfortable with Reforge.

It's awkward because you cant do PIF AND bonus round, so you end up with only wishing that turn, and its basically what you deem best from the wishboard.

Dark Petition with RBBB floating is great too, but then you probably petition for Act on Impulse with B floating.

I'm a bit rusty, so interested to see where you go with the hands.

Thread Information