Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

Another 5-0.

MAGGEN

Anyone on here? Curious about matchups, and why 0 act on impulse?

Congrats in any case. :)
    -rob

Apr 2018
    Valencia, Spain

I follow this thread from the early days (august 2017) and now i decide to contribute with some experiences.

At first, congratulations (Mistercakes and Viecko) for this lovely deck concept. It allows to be competitive in Legacy without needing a great investment on staples. From the first moment i felt in love with this monocolour storm beast, and very interested on its development.

Actually i'm playing a "non LED version" of Ruby Storm on my local metagame, surprising (even nowadays) some unsuspecting players who end up tasting the power of flames...

I've also played some LED versions but i think this deck feels free on variations (we had the last proof this week, with a top8 playing a new vision of the deck, without bonus round and abusing on Reforge the Soul in a current metagame that is full of Canadian Threshold, for example).

My current list (but not the last one):

4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of awakening
    4 Lotus petal
    1 Sentinel tower

2 Guttersnipe

4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething song
    2 Desperate ritual
    3 Lightning bolt

4 Rite of flame
    4 Act on impulse
    4 Burning wish
    3 Bonus round
    2 Past in flames
    2 Empty the warrens

12 Mountain
    3 Ancient tomb

Sideboard
    3 Defense Grid
    2 Silent gravestone
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Past in flames
    1 Tendrils of agony
    1 Empty the warrens
    1 Goblin war strike
    1 Reforge the soul
    1 Anger of gods
    1 By force
    1 Gamble

I'm testing Sentinel tower as an alternative win condition (as a 1x). I think it's very interesting in our strategy.
    You can chain 5-6 spells, drawing cards and generating mana, and then cast sentinel tower (you can find it very often while chaining spells). Two or three spells after, your opponent is dead (lightning bolt can help too much in this question). It's so insane!

I also like so much Bonus round, although i scare a bit casting it against blue decks (doubling their counters too). Despite of this, "Fun" is an esential component of this deck, and i get fun even when i crash after a chain of spells without finding a win condition...

Guttersnipe is one of my fixed slots. They help a lot shooting and damaging (and ignoring Leyline of Sanctity hahaha).

The worst card is, by far, the helm of awakening. We have here two slots that would be replaced by another options, if possible.
    Most of my lost matches have a reason: Helm of awakening accelerating my opponent...

Thank you guys for the development of this little beast... (and sorry for my poor "spanglish"...)

See you here,
    Last edited by Metropolitano; 07-21-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

glad to have someone else on board with the deck!

how has anger of the gods been? is it better for you than pyroclasm?

i agree that helm isn't so good. vieko hates it btw.i think if you really dislike them they can easily become LED's or Simian Spirit Guides. my only concern with cutting helms is that desperate ritual becomes a lot worse. i suppose it's a compromise.

i did try sentinel tower a bit when it was spoiled and liked it, but it was a bit clunky. i suppose in slower matchups it can really shine. guttersnipe is quite good and i'm always having mixed feelings about it. in theory it looks terrible, but when you play it the card wins games. pretty frustrated that even after playing with it a bunch (and getting some wins with it) i still overall dislike it!
    -rob

Has Blood Sun been discussed post DRS and Probe ban? Seems like we have a bunch of flex slots md, so why not run at least a 1-of? It draws a card, gets cheaper with rocks, and can randomly destroy an opponent if they are heavily relying on fetchlands. With turn 1 DRS gone, I would guess that a turn 2 Blood Sun is much more powerful now than how it used to be before the ban?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i haven't looked at that card in some time. i did notice a japanese list running blood sun and scorched ruins which was an eldrazi deck running a singleton obliterate.

i suppose it could be okay. not sure if it's better than blood moon, but is cool. give it a shot i suppose.
    -rob

Apr 2018
    Valencia, Spain

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    glad to have someone else on board with the deck!

how has anger of the gods been? is it better for you than pyroclasm?

i agree that helm isn't so good. vieko hates it btw.i think if you really dislike them they can easily become LED's or Simian Spirit Guides. my only concern with cutting helms is that desperate ritual becomes a lot worse. i suppose it's a compromise.

i did try sentinel tower a bit when it was spoiled and liked it, but it was a bit clunky. i suppose in slower matchups it can really shine. guttersnipe is quite good and i'm always having mixed feelings about it. in theory it looks terrible, but when you play it the card wins games. pretty frustrated that even after playing with it a bunch (and getting some wins with it) i still overall dislike it!

Anger is a bonus card when you face against zombardment (gravecrawler/bloodghast) or dredge (ignoring bridges from below), two pairings that are susceptible to be played after DRS ban.
    Also has more range to kill some 3 thoughness threats (Leovold, Serra avenger) or to prevent pumping effects (goblin/merfolks lords).
    With “Anger/By force” pack in sideboard I can put out Abrade and win two slots for surgical prevention (Silent gravestone x2).
    Anger don’t feed opponent’s graveyard (delve, threshold strategies).

Sentinel tower can save you after a surgical on burning wish or PIF. And bonus round increases its voltage. I really like it and I think it fits on this deck, even being, effectively, a bit clunky.

I would to test faithless looting game lines, but actually I guess there are so many “chalice of the void” strategies being played (monored prison, loam decks, Eldrazi, even Soldiers XD) and we must avoid abuse on cost 1 spells.
    What do you think about it?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I'm not sure I'm sold on anger, as Thalia is the more important threat for this deck.

I agree with avoiding 1cc if possible.

Ill post my list I've been goldfishing with. I have two (one with led and one without) when I have a little more time today.
    -rob

I've been very intrigued by Maggen's list. I made a few changes and goldfished a bit with it and while it does rely heavily on Past in Flames/flashback - making it extremely vulnerable to grave hate - it is incredibly consistent.
    One little experiment I ran was trying a single Catalyst Stone and it seems to work out fine.
    Another thing I tried was a list with LEDs (which really are a perfect fit in this list) and Scrap Mastery as a Wish target. It does generate some big mana but it might just be a win-more card. Worth noting that not only does it get back all your LEDs and Petals, but among all the discarding you are doing with Reforge the Soul, Faithless Looting and LEDs you end up with some Medallions in the graveyard as well, so you don't really lose any cost reducers.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Good find on catalyst stone. Cool interactions with shoving cards in graveyard with led and gamble. Will try it out. I have a sweet brew to test out. I think I can make my Saturday weekly.

It's cool that this card is kind of like pseudo hate vs ANT, who still relies a lot on past in flames. Also cool to hate on snapcaster and the random mirror match.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Updated the primer with my latest list.
    -rob

please could put a deck with lion eye diamond

Rishadan port???

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

played a bunch of games against RUG delver last night and needed to change some of the spells in the deck (numbers) to squeeze in some Empty the Warrens maindeck. Bonus Round while strong vs non blue decks is a bit too much of a hurdle here, so needed to cut one.

SB is far from finished, but what I have now

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 3 Creature
    3 Simian Spirit Guide

// 8 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song

// 15 Land
    2 Ancient Tomb
    9 Mountain
    4 Rishadan Port

// 22 Sorcery
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Past in Flames
    4 Act on Impulse
    2 Bonus Round
    3 Reforge the Soul
    2 Empty the Warrens

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Defense Grid

// 1 Instant
    SB: 1 Kozilek's Return

// 11 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Pyroclasm
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Gamble
    SB: 1 Goblin War Strike
    SB: 1 Sadistic Sacrament

although the last 3 could be, Cave-In, and 2 Scab-Clan Berserkers as well.
    -rob

So the obvious use of Port is to stall the opponent until we feel there is an opportune time to go off. How has this plan worked for you? Has the addition of more non-basic lands been a detriment at all? Have you found yourself flooded with 6 non-red producing lands, or notice a difference between multi-tombs vs. ports?

I'm quasi-interested in getting ports, but it doesn't really feel necessary. Instead of bludgeoning an opponent with haymakers, this is a diversion into interaction. And, since there''s no other board based disruption, seems blah, no bolts or the sort either.

Draw go isn't great, granted. Does Port really make that big a difference?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I wouldn't say the main use is to stall the game, it's to give the deck a way to interact. Force them to make decisions, if you're lucky they will choose poorly. If not, it's still good to force decision trees besides deciding what they need to counter.

Feel free to proxy them if you don't own and test a matchup for a while.

Owning ports is never a bad thing anyway.
    -rob

What decisions does it force? I really can't see the benefits... If I were forced to play with utility lands I would probably start with karakas(good vs snt, Thalia, leovold and reanimator), boseju, barbarian ring (Thalia, canotist), or even cephalid coloseum before going for rishadan port. Would love to hear a more in depth reasoning...

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I'll have to try to capture some games. Unfortunately since I moved from US to Germany I don't own a pc for modo.

Karakas is a great suggestion btw. I think it could easily be a sb card, if not maindeckable if your meta is full of that kind of stuff.

Edit, if anyone wants to test with me on cockatrice I have that on my Mac.

just had a really great hand goldfishing:

seething song, rite of flame, bonus round, rite of flame, lotus petal, burning wish, mountain.

how much damage can you get out of this without using reforge the soul. using this sb:

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Defense Grid

// 2 Creature
    SB: 2 Scab-Clan Berserker

// 1 Instant
    SB: 1 Abrade

// 1 Land
    SB: 1 Karakas

// 8 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Pyroclasm
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree

Last edited by mistercakes; 07-30-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    -rob

Has anyone ever tried Hope of Ghirapur in the side? Could complement or replace Defense Grid.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I haven't tried it. If you do please post how it goes.
    -rob

Thread Information