Page 65 of 98 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    If you are looking for a fun-of-one-of I would suggest Hazoret's Undying Fury. It isn't the engine we all wanted it to be, but it's still nuts 9/10 times you cast it.
    Yes, I love HUF! It has been present in every list I've tried so far, and it's only a matter of time before it makes its way into this one. I can see myself cutting the Stone and the Gamble for 2 HUFs.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

One major advantage to playing with sandstone needle is that you can play T1 needle, T2 tomb + seething into hazoret's which is a fairly low investment for a huge impact (potentially).
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

anyone jam the deck @ GP or any side events?
    -rob

I've been playing this list of late, but I'd like to work in Bonus Round but can't figure out how...

// 60 Maindeck
    // 15 Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    11 Mountain

// 12 Artifacts
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion

// 2 Creatures
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

// 11 Instants
    3 Lightning Bolt
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song

// 20 Sorceries
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    3 Past in Flames
    3 Reforge the Soul
    4 Rite of Flame

// Sideboard

// Actual sideboard
    1 Blood Moon
    3 Defense Grid
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker

// Wishboard
    1 Anarchy
    1 Cave-In
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Tendrils of Agony

I might cut the maindeck copies of Reforge the Soul for Commune with Lava, but aside from that I can't quite see how to work in Bonus Round. I'm playing in a metagame with a good deal of D&T/Maverick (read: Gaddock Teeg and Sanctum Prelate, which always goes on 2), which is why I feel I need Bolt, and there are a lot of copies of Surgical Extraction running around since Lands is pretty popular, too. I might swap the Cave-In for Kozilek's Return. I've found Hazoret's Undying Fury underwhelming, to be honest.

My current thought is to cut two Past in Flames and the Hazoret's Undying Fury for 3 Bonus Round main, and the Blood Moon for the fourth in the wishboard, but I'd like to know what those more knowledgeable about the deck than I think. I might also cut a Mountain for the fourth Lightning Bolt then.

If you are adding bonus round i would definitely move 1 RoF to the sideboard, so many games end by bonus rounding a burning wish to get a RoF and a bomb, (PiF, Hazoret). I'm also not a fan of 3 maindeck PiF, starting hands with two PiFs are horrible imo. Finally i would shave either one bolt or the maindeck Hazorets...
    I don't know about bonus round in the SB, i know some people played with it, but i have never been in a situation where i wanted to spend a burning wish on it. Either it's a "next turn play" or you already have atleast 4-5 more mana, and then i prefer to get pif or empty.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

cut the hazoret's and a rite of flame for 2 bonus round. then cut the war strike and a blood moon for those 2. both are great wish targets when bonus round has resolved and you can resolve a burning wish.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    cut the hazoret's and a rite of flame for 2 bonus round. then cut the war strike and a blood moon for those 2. both are great wish targets when bonus round has resolved and you can resolve a burning wish.
    Could I also cut one maindeck PiF for the fourth Bolt? And what about Simian Spirit Guide vs Desperate Ritual, particularly if I'm going to use Commune with Lava?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

They serve different functions, I'd recommend ssg vs daze decks, and desperate if you're more like a Belcher deck. They are both okay in their own situations.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

wasn't able to play this week. real life happened. will try again in a week or two.
    -rob

Just passing by to say that I returned to a more "traditional" list recently and I've been liking it a lot.
    Mainboard Defense Grids are surprisingly not a hindrance. They are swapped for the 3 Abrades when facing chalice/canonist/teeg etc.
    Sandstone Needle helps immensely with Bonus Round's RR and overall in generating mana, I think that land will become a staple in the deck.
    I'm comfortable with the main, but I keep tweaking the sideboard every now and then. Haven't found one that I truly enjoy yet.
    I also find that Apex of Power deserves its slot in the side. It's not at all uncommon for this deck to generate 10+ mana, and when that happens Apex is absolutely the best card you can wish for.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    1 Helm of Awakening
    3 Defense Grid

// 11 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    3 Desperate Ritual

// 15 Land
    8 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Sandstone Needle

// 22 Sorcery
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Act on Impulse
    2 Reforge the Soul
    2 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Fiery Confluence

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Instant
    SB: 3 Abrade

// 12 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Apex of Power
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Chain Lightning
    SB: 1 Mizzix's Mastery
    SB: 1 Hull Breach

https://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com...0965984973.png

Did we just get a Red Lantern Battery?

Runaway Steam-Kin
    1R
    1/1

Whenever you cast a red spell, if card name has fewer than three +1/+1 counters on it, put a +1/+1 counter on card name.

Remove three +1/+1 counters from card name: add RRR

If any deck can break this little elemental....it's this one.

The card looks fun, but I don't think it will be picked up. We already have very little trouble generating mana, it's actually the thing we excel at, so I don't see why we would be interested in even more of that. What we need is new card draw options.

this one seems interesting: it can copy also counters like c.spell. And with morphose can also close the game.

For me, seems very interesting.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthawk View Post
    https://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com...0965984973.png

Did we just get a Red Lantern Battery?

Runaway Steam-Kin
    1R
    1/1

Whenever you cast a red spell, if card name has fewer than three +1/+1 counters on it, put a +1/+1 counter on card name.

Remove three +1/+1 counters from card name: add RRR

If any deck can break this little elemental....it's this one.
    We shouldn't have to break a bad card. The card this deck wants needs to break the deck. I don't want to attack with this deck.

The split card is interesting, but bad with hazoret's. It's likely just a worse commune with Lava. I'm excited to see hybrid mana again, maybe we'll get something.

also nice to see someone else testing the needles. i still like led's in the list, but i will try cutting 2 cards to fit in 2 maindeck defense grids and another mountain. (prob 1 bonus round, 2 desperate ritual.

i still like 3 maindeck past in flames, and they function as a way to force through counters. i really like defense grid and will keep the other 2 in the sb, but now there should be 2 more sb slots open. might be 2 empty the warrens to improve the delver matchups.
    -rob

This spoiler season is exciting, with both those two, and also electromancer reprint it really feels like we can get something nice. I'm hoping for a red merchant scroll :)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by hadhod View Post

this one seems interesting: it can copy also counters like c.spell. And with morphose can also close the game.

For me, seems very interesting.
    If it didn't have the 'draw cards' text, it would be straight garbage. It's so mana intensive though! UURRX?!?!? It's likely not as good as having an actual win condition in hand, but not bad.

The copy side is meh. If you're going to invest in a copy effect Bonus Round has a much bigger payoff. If it works by triggering Empty the Warrens storm twice (like getting 10 goblins with the first one and 10 more with the second rather than 10 and then 2) that would be ok I guess. Copying Burning Wish is decent, but Bonus Round copies Burning Wish AND what you wished for. We already had Fork, Reverberate, and Double Cast.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

@glasshouse:

i would recommend running a hazoret's undying fury in the sb over the apex. i tested both and one thing that hazoret's can do that apex cannot is the following:

tomb, petal, seething song, bonus round, led, burning wish -> rite of flame + hazorets -> flip 8.

since you don't run LED it could be considered like:

turn 1 sandstone needle.
    turn 2 tomb + ruby medallion, seething song, bonus round, burning wish (RR remaining) -> RoF + Hazoret's.

there's a lot of options here, but if you don't go with hazoret's i'd recommend moving the 4th rite of flame to the maindeck. it's really only that combination that for me makes the 4th RoF better in the sb. (b/c RoF enables more turn 1 plays like mountain, RoF, RoF, seething song, BW -> empty (lines get a bit better when running LED's as well)

a tutorable effect for red would be quite good. gamble is already quite good, so i'm not sure it will get better than that. it is entirely possible that a merchant scroll effect would be the best possible scenario. (even at 3 mana would be great. 4 mana would be playable)

i'd also be interested in any other interesting spell with flashback, but i suppose we need to work the mechanics offered right now. there is a kind of flashback spell, it does 1R 4 damage to a guy, flashback is BBX oppo loses X life. i have never tried it, but it could be okay.

other cards that i would hope for is anything that generates 2 or 3 cards for 1 card.

as mentioned earlier in the thread, this deck is far from optimal and because we aren't running cards like ponder/preordain/brainstorm/discard there's a lot of flexibility. the deck will only get better over time. (it did take a speed bump with the probe banning, but i think matchups overall have improved since the bannings (drs/probe).
    -rob

Well i still run brainstorm/ponder, i just don't talk about it all that much because for me they are obvious inclusions (the number of times i won because i put a reforge on top of library is ... well, a high number).

They have been pushing red card draw a bit lately, but not enough to be playable, so maybe we can get something this time.

I agree with huf in board, but even without it i would never move RoF4 to the main. Seething Song -> Bonus round -> manamorphose -> burning wish for rof and past in flames/empty is too common atleast for me.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Good point with the manamorphose line. What's your current izzet list?
    -rob

List changes like every day, currently it's

6 fetch
    4 volcanic island
    1 mountain
    4 ancient tomb
    4 lotus petal
    4 burning wish
    4 manamorphose
    4 seething song
    4 desperate ritual
    4 reforge the soul
    3 rite of flame
    2 past in flames
    1 empty the warrens
    4 brainstorm
    3 ponder
    4 bonus round
    4 ruby medallion

sb
    1 surgical extraction
    1 faerie macabre
    2 flusterstorm
    1 abrade
    2 hope of ghirapur
    1 rite of flame
    1 grapeshot
    1 empty the warrens
    1 past in flames
    1 fiery confluence
    1 hazoret's undying fury
    1 by force
    1 tendrils of agony

I've tried so many things, but this is what i'm at right now. Last change was cut one ponder for one extra fetch, i think i probably want one more land. It feels better to mulligan a 7 card 5 land hand and get something useful then to mulligan a 1 lander to a zero lander...
    Regarding AoI, i like it, but would never play it without led, and i would never play led without AoI. Currently i don't think the package is good enough, to many slow hands where AoIs pile up.
    4 reforge the soul has been so good, the definition of a good topdeck. Combined with cantrips make it even better as i can ponder during my turn, and end of opponents turn manamorphose -> reforge (actually had a game the other day where my opponent had 3-4 cards and i where hellbent, drew ponder into manamorphose reforge reforge). Even starting hands with 2-3 reforge feels ok if there is a tomb, land and medallion. The same is not true of 2-3 bonus round or 2-3 PiF.
    Flusterstorm in the board has been surprisingly good, stops hymn, good vs other combo and control. Surgical comes in vs control as well, nice to surgical a fow before reforging, also lets me see if the coast is clear.

The only negative things i can see with being 2 colored are wastelands and to some extent REB/Pyroblast, also i can not play sandstone needle as i usually want to cantrip t1.

Thread Information