Page 69 of 98 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    The "reforge feeds the opponent fows" idea is a fallacy. What usually happens at least in ur-storm is that your opponent spends the first few turns cantripping to get counters and stops you from going off. Then you miracle a reforge and start over again, but this time you start the game with a juicy graveyard and a few lands in play, perhaps even a ruby medallion. Do you really think you are worse off in this situation than you are at the beginning of the game?
    There are some cases where it might not be a good idea to reforge, if you hardcast it and float zero mana with your landdrop already made and you are facing elves and they have a couple of dudes and a cradle, sure. But being afraid that your opponent might draw fow is not a good argument against reforge.
    Aren't you putting Reforge back or setting it up with Brainstorm/Ponder? Completely different situation IMHO. However, I don't disagree, you definitely have a point about powering through with RtS. It's been a while since I tested it maindeck, I'll have to try it again. When I was doing it, DRS was legal and it didn't usually end well. My opponents started to zero in on important cards. I had at least a few Reforges countered, several Burning Wishes, and even Past in Flames. All of those cards are pretty important to resolve in order to win.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Brainstorm Ponder does help enable the miracle trigger but the brute force method still applies.
    -rob

One thing that I came to notice is that since the Gitaxian Probe ban the only 1 cmc card we run in the main is Rite of Flame, with the ocasional Overmaster or Faithless Looting showing up. This means that a Chalice of the Void @ 1 is of almost no hindrance. Chalice decks want to put it @ 2, because that's where a lot of our key spells are (Burning Wish, Ruby Medallion, Manamorphose). This works in favor of Sandstone Needle. Since a turn 1 Chalice is ignorable, you can afford to play a turn 1 Needle against them.
    But also important to note with this is that Abrade, despite its sweet versatility, is not ideal against Chalice decks.
    So I'm currently trying 3 Shattering Spree in the SB, siding 2 of them in. And to fill the creature removal role, I'm trying 3 Pyrite Spellbomb. Pros of Spellbomb are being castable through Ethersworn Canonist and being able to cycle it (This might even make them main-deckable? Who knows). Though both cards are currently taking up 6 SB slots, which is quite a lot. I might have rethink their numbers.
    Also worth noting that I'm running 2 Defense Grid in the main.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Though both cards are currently taking up 6 SB slots, which is quite a lot. I might have rethink their numbers.
    Also worth noting that I'm running 2 Defense Grid in the main.
    Do you also run GY interaction? If so, how do you fit your wishboard in your SB?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I had considered chalice a long time ago, there's no debating that it won't steal a lot of games, just not sure if it's going to improve stats since it's a bit awkward mid combo. (to draw into it) it also doesn't stop flusterstorm which is heavily played now. (edit, just noticed you weren't asking about playing chalice, but describing merits against chalice. i think that this is one of the best reasons to play this deck over other storm).

It would improve the matchups that are poor though a little bit. (other combo and delver. Delver isn't as poor. But it can be difficult.)
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think Chalice is the same trap as Blood Moon. You're playing to not lose with Moon/Chalice, not playing to win. Yes you get 'free wins' with them occasionally, but I've found that when you use fast mana to play a lock piece you give your opponent at a minimum an extra turn to find an answer (remember, this is with Blood Moon, which requires 3 mana turn 1 to really work out.) I just found that Blood Moon was good, but not great.

Chalice I think is a sideboard card. Maindeck it should probably be focused on being fast and resilient. The sideboard can bring in Chalice to fight the blue crew, although I'm skeptical if it's better than Defense Grid. It really depends on your metagame.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I think Chalice is the same trap as Blood Moon. You're playing to not lose with Moon/Chalice, not playing to win. Yes you get 'free wins' with them occasionally, but I've found that when you use fast mana to play a lock piece you give your opponent at a minimum an extra turn to find an answer (remember, this is with Blood Moon, which requires 3 mana turn 1 to really work out.) I just found that Blood Moon was good, but not great.

Chalice I think is a sideboard card. Maindeck it should probably be focused on being fast and resilient. The sideboard can bring in Chalice to fight the blue crew, although I'm skeptical if it's better than Defense Grid. It really depends on your metagame.
    it's probably worse than defense grid b/c bonus round enables their surgical extraction even if chalice is resolved for x=1.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    it's probably worse than defense grid b/c bonus round enables their surgical extraction even if chalice is resolved for x=1.
    Valid point, and Extraction is everywhere.
    Brainstorm Realist

Yeah I wasn't talking about running chalice ourselves just noting our resilience against it. My ultimate point was about noticing that Abrade isn't fit for fighting it and looking into replacements for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosaapje View Post
    Do you also run GY interaction? If so, how do you fit your wishboard in your SB?
    I'm lacking any sort of graveyard interaction currently. Might try cutting 1 Spree and 1 Spellbomb for 2 Silent Gravestone.

On an unrelated note, Mizzix's Mastery as a Wish target has proved to be immensely powerful thanks to Bonus Round.
    An example of a turn 2 win which happens often and doesn't even require a Ruby in play:
    T1 Needle/Tomb
    T2 Mountain -> Seething Song -> Bonus Round -> Desperate Ritual -> Burning Wish grabbing Mizzix's Mastery and Fiery Confluence -> Mizzix targetting Bonus Round and Seething Song -> Confluence for the win

If you have a Manamorphose instead of a Desperate Ritual you can Wish for Mizzix and Rite of Flame and cast Mizzix targetting BR and Manamorphose, giving you 8 mana and drawing 4 cards, which should also be enough to go off.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Yeah I wasn't talking about running chalice ourselves just noting our resilience against it. My ultimate point was about noticing that Abrade isn't fit for fighting it and looking into replacements for it.
    TES has been on Pulverize.
    Brainstorm Realist

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    TES has been on Pulverize.
    tes doesn't run medallions.
    miLLe!!!!!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Good call, Mizzix's is good in that situation.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by [reptiLe] View Post
    tes doesn't run medallions.
    That's fair. By Force is still my wishboard target for artifact hate.
    Brainstorm Realist

So I had never seen this deck in action before I watched Mengucci's most recent legacy veedio, but after I watched that I just had to load this up into Magic Online and take it for a spin. Well, I 0-3 0-6'd my first league :( Does anyone with much more experience with the deck have a good list they'd care to share? I read a few things on the last page that stated Mengucci's list was far from ideal. One thing I did do was add the 4th Bonus Round to the SB and was not disappointed. Wishing for it came up much more often than I would have imagined.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Just read through the thread :)
    -rob

An example of a turn 2 win which happens often and doesn't even require a Ruby in play:
    T1 Needle/Tomb
    T2 Mountain -> Seething Song -> Bonus Round -> Desperate Ritual -> Burning Wish grabbing Mizzix's Mastery and Fiery Confluence -> Mizzix targetting Bonus Round and Seething Song -> Confluence for the win

If you have a Manamorphose instead of a Desperate Ritual you can Wish for Mizzix and Rite of Flame and cast Mizzix targetting BR and Manamorphose, giving you 8 mana and drawing 4 cards, which should also be enough to go off.
    I really like mizzix, but never felt that i needed it and sb space is tight. Your first example you can fetch rite and hazorets and probably win, your second example you can get rite and Pif and be better of.

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    I really like mizzix, but never felt that i needed it and sb space is tight. Your first example you can fetch rite and hazorets and probably win, your second example you can get rite and Pif and be better of.
    A sure win is better than a probable one but I'll concede that PiF generates more value in the Manamorphose case. You're right that SB space is tight and Mizzix might be too niche but I'll stick with it for now.

@d00mwake: I suggest reading the primer in the first page. The list posted there is a good start.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

mizzix's is good when you only have R after a bonus round + wish, and you don't have another RoF in the graveyard (also assuming no ruby in play). then you can only generate RRRR and PiF won't net any value. you can argue that empty the warrens is probably still pretty okay in this situation.
    -rob

Does anyone have an LED-Less list that they have been doing well with?

Thread Information