Page 80 of 98 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i don't think it's that important. the deck ran probes for a huge amount of time. if there's a version with 8 cantrips, then who cares. =P lots of info in the thread and easier to search this way.

(also the name of the thread was changed from mono red storm to ruby storm for these kinds of reasons over a year ago.)
    Ok then!
    Keep Walking, Voidwalker! - Use bugs with moderation -

Even if the decks play quite a bit different, we mostly discuss card choices anyways, and every card that could be relevant for mono red could probably be relevant for UR as well :)

I'm currently testing intuition again. I'm a bit torn, it is great sometimes, and when I say great I don't mean in situations where every card would be great, i mean in unique situations. Had one game where I was a bit flooded and had a ruby out and a seething song in hand and my blue opponent was hellbent and I topdecked intuition into a win.
    Then on the other hand I had a game where I was discarded down to hellbent with 3 lands in play and drew intuition. There is not a lot of good targets then. Ponder is probably the best but still felt a bit lacking. If only wizards would print a ritual with flashback :)

New set been out for a couple of days on mtgo, anyone had any luck with luts? @Vieko?

Hey guys. Don't have leds for the deck anymore but still think about stuff.

How about testing Gutshot in conjunction with Light up the Stage and Bonus Round builds.

Probe was obviously great in the deck, yeah guy shot doesn't cantrip, but it does turn on Spectacle. With active bonus rounds it becomes bolts, or in case of those states ppl love to screenshot, becomes free grapeshot.

Free spells are great for storm count anyways. Just food for thought. Have fun!

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Hey guys. Don't have leds for the deck anymore but still think about stuff.

How about testing Gutshot in conjunction with Light up the Stage and Bonus Round builds.

Probe was obviously great in the deck, yeah guy shot doesn't cantrip, but it does turn on Spectacle. With active bonus rounds it becomes bolts, or in case of those states ppl love to screenshot, becomes free grapeshot.

Free spells are great for storm count anyways. Just food for thought. Have fun!
    Even though it isn't free I think Lightning Bolt in some number is better than Gut Shot, for it's interaction with Bonus Round alone. I've been reading good things about Light up the Stage in other decks (burn, UR Delver) so I think it really was the card we were looking for.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

it is a very good card for the deck. i'm not sure if it needs the damage factor to be playable, it is playable on its own. the best enablers for it are easily lightning bolt, and to a lesser extent guttersnipe.

if you wanted to run another enabler, i would probably focus on some kind of creature that can attack, but it's likely not needed.

i'm still jamming intuition with goldfishing, and will test it over the next few weeks when i have time. the more i play this deck the less i want to play it at weeklies. the main reason is that i really enjoy a lot of the interaction of paper mtg, and this is a goldfish kind of deck.

once i am finally back on a PC though i look forward to playing it on modo. (and of course the occasional paper event)
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I agree on Light up the Stage being good even without the Spectacle cost. I pre-ordered a set, once they get here I will tweak my list test it out. I really like the Guttersnipe plan with this card, but I will be trying maindeck Lightning Bolts first, Guttersnipe sideboard. I have the Gut Shots handy as well, if that becomes a simply more efficient way to deal damage in the long run. A 'free' enabler might be necessary, and I like that it kills Thalia even though it costs 1 and 2 life.

Test list:

4x Ruby Medallion
    3x Rite of Flame
    4x Seething Song
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Desperate Ritual
    4x Manamorphose

4x Light up the Stage
    4x Act on Impulse
    4x Lightning Bolt
    1x Hazoret’s Undying Fury
    4x Burning Wish
    2x Past in Flames
    4x Bonus Round

10x Mountain
    4x Ancient Tomb

Sidebaord
    1x Rite of Flame
    1x Past in Flames
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Pyroclasm
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    1x By Force
    1x Reforge the Soul
    3x Guttersnipe
    2x Scab-Clan Berserker
    2x Pyroblast

I ended up cutting the Reforge the Souls for Light up the Stage, along with 1x Hazorets. I don't see any real reason to put Bonus Round in my sideboard, but I don't have any experience with it. I am looking to see what Lightning Bolt can do with Bonus Round. I really haven't spent any time on the deck since Bonus Round was printed.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 01-21-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

if you wanted to run another enabler, i would probably focus on some kind of creature that can attack, but it's likely not needed.
    I feel that Scab-Clan Berserker out of the board fits this bill as a line of play, especially considering it gets triggered from cantrips.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I agree on Light up the Stage being good even without the Spectacle cost. I pre-ordered a set, once they get here I will tweak my list test it out. I really like the Guttersnipe plan with this card, but I will be trying maindeck Lightning Bolts first, Guttersnipe sideboard. I have the Gut Shots handy as well, if that becomes a simply more efficient way to deal damage in the long run. A 'free' enabler might be necessary, and I like that it kills Thalia even though it costs 1 and 2 life.

Test list:

4x Ruby Medallion
    1x Helm of Awakening
    3x Rite of Flame
    4x Seething Song
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Desperate Ritual
    4x Manamorphose

4x Light up the Stage
    4x Act on Impulse
    4x Lightning Bolt
    1x Hazoret’s Undying Fury
    4x Burning Wish
    2x Past in Flames
    3x Bonus Round

10x Mountain
    4x Crystal Vein

Sidebaord
    1x Rite of Flame
    1x Past in Flames
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Pyroclasm
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    1x By Force
    1x Reforge the Soul
    3x Guttersnipe
    2x Scab-Clan Berserker
    2x Pyroblast

I ended up cutting the Reforge the Souls for Light up the Stage, along with 1x Hazorets. I don't see any real reason to put Bonus Round in my sideboard, but I don't have any experience with it. I am looking to see what Lightning Bolt can do with Bonus Round. I really haven't spent any time on the deck since Bonus Round was printed.
    4 bonus round, 3 bolt and plz upgrade to ancient tomb. Not so expensive with masters!

The turn 1 rock, turn 2 seething song is a very important play.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I altered an old list I have on file, but I forgot to change the lands. Doh! I have indeed changed over to AT.

Thanks for the note.

EDIT: fixed the list. I shaved an Act on Impulse to get the 4th Bonus Round in, both are 3 mana, and I want to test with 4 bolts before I trim down to 3.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I altered an old list I have on file, but I forgot to change the lands. Doh! I have indeed changed over to AT.

Thanks for the note.

EDIT: fixed the list. I shaved an Act on Impulse to get the 4th Bonus Round in, both are 3 mana, and I want to test with 4 bolts before I trim down to 3.
    i'd cut the helm instead of the 4th aoi.

plays like bonus round + any ramp spell + aoi are the reason the red version can do well.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

i'd cut the helm instead of the 4th aoi.

plays like bonus round + any ramp spell + aoi are the reason the red version can do well.
    Gotcha! Thanks again.
    Brainstorm Realist

Fellow folks storming,

I've been in the tank with the LuTS for a while now. I made proxies and had been play testing it like a few others. I was very impressed with the card and now have moved to this list. I'm going to play it in my local weekly as is and tweek it for back to back 1k events this weekend....

Artifact: 14
    4 Ruby
    2 Helm
    4 LED
    4 lotus Petal

Instant: 8
    4 Morohose
    4 Seething Song

Sorcery: 24
    4 Rite
    4 Act
    3 LuTS
    4 Reforge
    4 Wish
    2 Bonus Round
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens

Land: 14
    5 Fetch Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    5 Mountain

Wish Board:
    Pif
    Grapeshot
    Fiery Confluence
    Empty
    Bonus Round
    Tendrils
    Mizzix's Mastery

Other Board
    Shattering Spree
    Cave-in
    3 Surgical
    3 Defense Grid

So far in gold fishing it seems really powerful. Every early turn has must counter plays for our opponents. I plan on riding this pile all weekend, counting to 10 along the way.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Tall George, how'd it go?

Also, current maindeck:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 2 Creature
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

// 13 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    2 Desperate Ritual
    3 Intuition

// 14 Land
    2 Ancient Tomb
    4 Sandstone Needle
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Scalding Tarn
    2 Mountain

// 19 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Bonus Round
    2 Hazoret's Undying Fury

also tempted to run a singleton mizzix's mastery in the maindeck only for this line: seething song -> bonus round -> manamorphose -> mizzix's mastery. it would take 1 of the hazoret's. not sure if it's worth it.

i think understanding how many outs the deck has is pretty important from seething song -> bonus round - > manamorphose (with no additional mana):

act on impulse: need to hit an LED/LP/RoF + some business spell in the 6 cards.
    intuition: as long as no RoF have been used, can win on the spot
    burning wish: need R to get RoF and Mizzix's Mastery -> target bonus round and manamorphose to draw 4 cards and 8 mana.
    hazoret's in hand: requires you to draw a ritual effect off of the manamorphose (another manamorphose will also work)
    past in flames: another mana source is needed here
    another manamorphose: draws 2 more and sets you at 6 mana.

(15 (18 with manamorphose) outs, 8 require a little more mana).

if you replace the initial manamoprhose with a desperate ritual:

burning wish is probably the best card here. fetching mizzix's mastery and hazoret's. (cast mizzix, target bonus round and desperate, getting 12 mana and casting hazoret's (4 copies).
    act on impulse will leave you with 3 remaining and you have 6 cards to find something.
    hazoret's will flip 8 cards and you're likely to win here as well.

if you replace the initial manamorphose with burning wish:

having LED in hand will end most games, getting Rite of Flame and Hazoret's for 8 cards.

there's another subset of outs with blue mana and intuition after bonus round, but things can get a little complex. best to just play them out yourself and see what you can do.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 01-28-2019 at 03:08 AM.
    -rob

Got home from Seattle late last night, I'll write a full weekend tournament report. Quickly though. Light Up the Stage is a house. Renaming my list to Light Up the Storm.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Tall_George View Post
    Got home from Seattle late last night, I'll write a full weekend tournament report. Quickly though. Light Up the Stage is a house. Renaming my list to Light Up the Storm.

nice! exciting to hear it.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tall_George View Post

I look forward to the report!

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    I look forward to the report!
    Me too!
    Keep Walking, Voidwalker! - Use bugs with moderation -

Coming in Hot...

Decklist as follows

Artifact: 14
    4 Ruby
    2 Helm
    4 LED
    4 lotus Petal

Instant: 8
    4 Morophose
    4 Seething Song

Sorcery: 24
    4 Rite
    4 Act
    3 LuTS
    4 Reforge
    4 Wish
    2 Bonus Round
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens

Land: 14
    5 Fetch Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    5 Mountain

Wish Board:
    Pif
    Grapeshot
    Fiery Confluence
    Empty
    Bonus Round
    Tendrils
    Haz Undying Fury(I still hate this card)

Other Board
    Shattering Spree
    Cave-in
    3 Surgical
    3 Defense Grid

I played 6 rounds on Saturday and 7 rounds on Sunday. The long and short of the back to back 1k event goes like this. Spectacle is nice but really in my list I'm fine paying the 2r cost for Light up the stage. Mostly i cast it for 1r with a reducer effect. The deck was much more consistent on T1-T2 kill attempts. I even mulled to 5 and killed T2. I went 3-3 on Sat after getting ranched on coverage round 1 by a Maverick player from my home town. Drive 4 hours to get beat in friendly fire on stream, match 1.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/370300924?t=00h04m13s

He gets the nuts game 1 and then has more hate game 2, but hey, my lands look killer!

I quickly overwhelm a Pteramander/Delver burn player in r2 to keep the dream alive then get housed by a bug control player. G1 I mull to 5, he TS me on the play and takes petal leaving me with no r source and a tomb. He kills me with Snappy and Jitte and that is it. He resolves leo g12into my empty hand and I top deck the Reforge the Soul. I am able to mini storm off next turn with a bonus round into light up the stage after he Force pitches and looses life, but it is not enough and he kills me.

Now im 1-2 and unlikely to make top 8 but we keep it going.

R4, I got the pair down to an 0-3 and my opponent concedes, we play it out and he is on a grixis delver shell that kills me with an angler after having all of the counter magic. I get the kill g2 after cracking led to pay for a fluster targeting an act, I have 1 mana floating hit RoF, wish and seething song, and am able to flashback pif in the bin which was in my hand in order to go off and kill him with tendrill's. G3 we both mull to 5 and he edges me out after fow my seething song i had to tap out for with a bonus round resolved. Im 2-2

R5, I Turn 2 made a bunch of goblins on a miracles player who mulled to 6 game 1. He takes 12 then scoops next turn. I am able to resolve a t1 defense grid g2 and go off t3. Deck is feeling gas!
    3-2 but my breakers are bad, no t8 but i stick around and play r 6

R6, VS Burn. Game1 t2 Eidolon, nuts me. G2 i Make goblins on t3, G3 he has the pillar and I die to my own spells.
    3-3 drop

I noticed not many Graveyard decks in the first day 1k, so I make the call to cut Hazzoret's and swap in the 4th surgical for day 2 figuring a few people might swap decks. :NARRATORS VOCIE: "He was right 4, dredge players on Sunday." I was able to bait my opponent into turning on spectacle for me a few times. LUtS is awesome for 1. I wish I would have brought a 4th copy in for Sunday or maybe ran the 4th one in the board. I do miss the Reforge the Soul wish board slot. Found that G2 putting a RoF and Reforge in for Surgical to be a pretty good.

Sunday was a much worse day for me...

R1 G1, Mull to 4, opponent goes Underground Sea, Duress. Takes ruby leaving me with tomb, petal, wish. I draw MTN. He plays a land and cast 2nd duress, takes wish. I'm pretty much dead. I stopped taking notes, but he for sure killed me in 2.

0-1

R2 G1, Dude is playing enchantress. I can not beat a resolved Solitary Confinement. I scoop after he resolves in G1 and then, I deck myself in G 2 buy casting a Reforge with bonus round, bonus round, bonus round. My opponent has a solitary again. I contemplate splashing a single volc and Lab man!
    0-2

R3 I trounce a POX player in short order, both game 1 and 2 take less than 15 min. G1 I make 12 goblins t1 he hangs on for a bit but they overwhelm him. g2 on the draw mull to 5, and boy howdy is it a keeper! Tomb, Helm, Petal, Petal, Ruby Medallion, I know my t2 top deck was a Reforge and I win. I walk around the corner for pizza.
    1-2

R4, My opponent is a known lands player. I smash g1 with 10 goblins on t2 and they scoop it up. G2 and G3 t1 Sphere's and I fight around it, but eventually die to 20/20.
    1-3

R5 Paired against one of my weekly players in Vancouver. Known to be on DNT. I'm pretty out of it and play bad. They kill me. I also kind of don't mind keeping my opponent guessing the lines i might have, even though i miss-play.
    1-4

My buylist is ready and I buy more dual lands, I feel better.

R6 Played against nyx fit. We know how this goes. but a t1 grapeshot for 8 and 18 goblins is a hell of a play. He scoops. I get the T1 in paper!!!!
    G2 I can't remember exact details and did not take notes. I'm pretty sure he resolved a leo and I killed with a chain of Act on Impules/ Light up the stage in the mid game.
    2-4

R7 Mono R Prison. I get crushed g1 after mulling deep and keeping a 1 lander, only to see 0 lands over 5 turns. G2 He knows I'm not on burn but sideboards poorly and I kill with a grapeshot. Rouge decks! It doesn't matter at all but he resolves T2 Three ball and I can not get out from under it.
    2-5 over the weekend.

I am an poor pilot of the deck at best. I am learning more every match. I will continue to grind games with the list I played. We have another HighStakes 1K event on Feb 9th. Getting into the groove of counting to 10.

I do miss the MB bolts and would really like a way to fit them in, Maybe even going back to the chain lightning in the sideboard with 1 main deck instead of the MD empty for g1, then swapping to more MD bolts as needed for g3. Getting to bolt a Teeg is really awesome.

Cheers,
    George

Thanks for the report!
    When decking yourself vs solitary confinement. Did you really have more cards in your library than enchantress?
    A cool trick to do against cards like confinement/glacial chasm is to board in 1 surgical, play to get it in the graveyard and past in flames. Then cast as many bonus rounds as possible and a reforge. Let 2-4 reforge resolve and then surgical as many cards as possible before letting the rest of the reforges resolve.
    I've done it once in my ~2000 games with the deck so it's not really a main strategy of the deck, but still cool :)

Thread Information