Page 84 of 98 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I think you'll have more fun playing doomsday with experimental frenzy. Check out the discord. It's a two card combo that wins on the spot.
    Already messed around with it. Will check the discord. But even though it's a nice interaction, I'm aiming for a one-card combo here. Resolv Frenzy, play your deck, win.

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

Quote Originally Posted by esthoril View Post
    Already messed around with it. Will check the discord. But even though it's a nice interaction, I'm aiming for a one-card combo here. Resolv Frenzy, play your deck, win.
    resolve doomsday, play your deck, win.
    miLLe!!!!!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

the deck has two 1 card combos:

1) doomsday. you build a 5 card deck that wins the game. standard easiest no interaction pile is LED LED LED Tendrils of Agony Doomsday
    2) Lim-Dul's vault. you set your deck so the top 5 cards of your deck involve LED + Doomsday in that order, or if you have another black mana, you can cast dark ritual into doomsday.

not sure what you're hoping to get out of this with red storm, which doesn't really manipulate the top of the deck very well comparatively.
    -rob

the deck has two 1 card combos:

1) doomsday. you build a 5 card deck that wins the game. standard easiest no interaction pile is LED LED LED Tendrils of Agony Doomsday
    2) Lim-Dul's vault. you set your deck so the top 5 cards of your deck involve LED + Doomsday in that order, or if you have another black mana, you can cast dark ritual into doomsday.
    How is this a one-card combo? You need Experimental Frenzy + Doomsday. That's two cards. Same with Lim-dul's vault.

- Experimental Frenzy in play + doomsday = 2 cards.
    - Experimental Frenzy in play + lim-dul's vault = 2 cards.
    - Experimentel Frenzy = 1 card.

Same reply to Reptile. You only play your 5-card deck after resolving Doomsday if you already have the second part of the combo - Experimental Frenzy - in play. Quite disappointed that in a thread like this people don't seem to know the difference between a one-card and two-card combo.

not sure what you're hoping to get out of this with red storm, which doesn't really manipulate the top of the deck very well comparatively.
    The idea is you dont need to manipulate the top of your deck as there are no lands and plenty of free artifacts/rituals to allow you to proceed to just play all of it.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

ah sorry, misunderstood. yea i've tried this mono red version with all this stuff, and it's not very good. when you get risky and play 1 land, land grant kind of stuff you more or less should just be playing belcher or oops all spells.
    -rob

Jan 2017
    TN

So, I saw this last night and was thinking about it.

Experimental Frenzy is a cool card, but in all reality, I think it is only viable in DDFT (RIP in pepperonis my old friend) and in the SB of Lands if you're feeling spicy.

In current builds of Ruby (either mono-red or UR), after you resolve a Bonus Round, you essentially are able to play your entire deck if you so choose.
    Experimental Frenzy isn't really needed for that.
    Also, Frenzy is actively bad with anything that draws you a card, a la Manamorphose.

Also, something to keep in mind, Burning Wish does not work favorably with Frenzy, since the card you are wishing for goes to your hand, not the top of the deck. Thus, you'll have to blow up your own Frenzy to be able to use the business spell you just wished for.

Edit: You could pull some shenanigans with LED and PiF to get around the Frenzy clause (I think), but then you open yourself up to being reliant on the graveyard, instead of just being able to utilize it as a resource.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    So, I saw this last night and was thinking about it.

Experimental Frenzy is a cool card, but in all reality, I think it is only viable in DDFT (RIP in pepperonis my old friend) and in the SB of Lands if you're feeling spicy.

In current builds of Ruby (either mono-red or UR), after you resolve a Bonus Round, you essentially are able to play your entire deck if you so choose.
    Experimental Frenzy isn't really needed for that.
    Also, Frenzy is actively bad with anything that draws you a card, a la Manamorphose.

Also, something to keep in mind, Burning Wish does not work favorably with Frenzy, since the card you are wishing for goes to your hand, not the top of the deck. Thus, you'll have to blow up your own Frenzy to be able to use the business spell you just wished for.

Edit: You could pull some shenanigans with LED and PiF to get around the Frenzy clause (I think), but then you open yourself up to being reliant on the graveyard, instead of just being able to utilize it as a resource.
    it's also terrible with burning wish...
    -rob

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

Quite disappointed that in a thread like this people don't seem to know the difference between a one-card and two-card combo..
    With all the truly cringeworthy ideas being brought up on this thread, THAT is what disappoints you?
    miLLe!!!!!

Hello everyone!

I finally finished this deck in paper (LEDs are borrowed though) and plan to play it at the Legacy FNM this week. You can find my list below.

I talked with another Ruby Storm player at the LGS, he had some success with the deck the last few times. I have never played the Legacy FNM at our LGS before, but the guy told me the meta has a lot of Death and Taxes, Dredge, Ad Nauseam, and a few Show and Tell, Reanimator, Dragon Stompy and then all kinds of other decks. I think there are about 12-19 players usually and it's not always the same people, so the meta isn't super consistent. But Death and Taxes has the biggest share, so I should be prepared for that and also be aware of a variance of combo decks. The other Ruby Storm player said he doesn't play Past in Flames in the main and has Pyrite Spellbomb main to be able to kill Ethersworn Canonist and other hatebears through Mother of Runes.

I would love to get your opinions on my main and especially on my sideboard in regard to my meta. The Commune with Lava is just for testing atm. Maybe I switch that for a Pyrite Spellbomb?

Main:

4x Bonus Round
    2x Past in Flames
    1x Fiery Confluence
    2x Empty the Warrens

4x Burning Wish
    4x Act on Impulse
    4x Light Up the Stage
    1x Commune with Lava
    4x Manamorphose

3x Rite of Flame
    4x Seething Song

4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Ruby Medallion

8x Mountain
    4x Sandstone Needle
    3x Ancient Tomb

Sideboard:

1x Rite of Flame
    1x Mizzix's Mastery
    1x Past in Flames
    1x Hazoret's Undying Fury

1x Grapeshot
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x Tendrils of Agony

1x By Force
    1x Cave-In
    1x Fiery Confluence

2x Scab-Clan Berserker
    3x Tormod's Crypt
    Last edited by Trigunner; 04-09-2019 at 02:48 AM.

it's also terrible with burning wish...
    Given Burning Wish is the only win-con in my list, let's say it's a not an issue at all. You generate so much mana so easily, it does not really matter when you wish for something (or if you draw a card from manamorphose). Often you end up playing multiple Frenzies when churning through the deck. You just blow them all up when you had enough of playing cards and play the kill card you wished for.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i'm not going to debate the merits and demerits of your list. just test the list, and let us how it goes. i'm happy to listen to some results. i've considered frenzy in the sb at some times, but it's a bit worse when you don't have ponder/brainstorm/preordain to help manipulate the deck.

of course you can have a "1 card combo" if you can manipulate getting LED or lotus petal(s) off the top into a string of spells. the real question is, how reliable is it when you're not goldfishing?

anyway, this was tested a bunch in multiple threads:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ghlight=frenzy
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ghlight=frenzy
    and
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...y-magic-online (which actually had okay results)

feel free to keep brewing as it's important in legacy, but i think you'll get some feedback you don't like as we've more or less crossed this off the list (ideas were already brought up in october/november.)

-rob
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Trigunner View Post
    He also plays some number of Empty the Warrens main to have a better game 1 against other combo decks. I adapted that for now.
    Can you explain that reasoning?
    In my experience empty is good vs delver and miracles, and not that good vs the rest of the field. I think my suggestion would be to cut those for lightning bolts.

Jan 2017
    TN

SB:

Woah, that's huge :)
    Love the dedication!

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    Can you explain that reasoning?
    In my experience empty is good vs delver and miracles, and not that good vs the rest of the field. I think my suggestion would be to cut those for lightning bolts.
    Oh, I think you are right, against other combo EtW wouldn't be that good. My thought was EtW gives you more turn one wins, wich in reality are turn 3 wins. I didn't think that through to the end and the other guy may not have reasoned it like that? To my defense I was ill when writing that (and still am). Adding Lightning Bolt instead makes sense, thanks!
    Last edited by Trigunner; 04-09-2019 at 07:41 AM.

might be too cute/win more, but this just got spoiled:

Makes copies of rubies (or lotus petals) until EOT, and gives us a YP effect, more or less. casting in the first place is probably a bit of a distraction from the main game plan but it does provide an alternative win con as well.

Probably not worth the cut, but maybe someone will have a better idea than i will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Jan 2017
    TN

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    Woah, that's huge :)
    Love the dedication!
    To be fair, I already owned the manabase, cantrips, petals and the non-wish target SB cards.
    Every deck I build in Legacy is non-foil Japanese :)

I have a Japanese Intuition somewhere as well, just haven't gotten time to properly test it online yet.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    To be fair, I already owned the manabase, cantrips, petals and the non-wish target SB cards.
    Every deck I build in Legacy is non-foil Japanese :)

I have a Japanese Intuition somewhere as well, just haven't gotten time to properly test it online yet.
    i'll have to post mine when i have time, but i still need 1 more ancient tomb (exp) and some fetches. i sold off my fbb's a while back except some non volcs!
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes
    IIRC, some prior nonsense about rishadan port
    Did you ever find any success with ports? I wanted to try them out back when you mentioned them on, I think, reddit... but my deck was dismantled at the time.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

oh i hadn't tried it much. only tested it one night vs a friend playing delver and my draws in general were rough. (i wasn't testing sandstone needle at the time either).

i think if you can make it work it could be great, but i really think sandstone needle is a much stronger card for casting bonus round.

also:

Ral, Storm Conduit 2UR

Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell, Ral, Storm Conduit deals 1 damage to target opponent or planeswalker.

+2 Scry 1.

-2 When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

(4)

i think it's great for ruby storm.

cast ral, pass turn.

following turn: -2, cast bonus round (get a copy) deal 2 damage.

cast lightning bolt. (get 3 copies), deal 16 damage. (if you have any other spell you're way ahead.)

seems pretty great! obviously you don't really need bolt, as casting some ritual effect is already really sick.

-2, cast seething song, get 10 red mana and deal 2 damage is a great way to start off the turn.
    -2, cast manamorphose, get 4 mana + 2 cards and 2 damage.

his other ability +2, is great vs the slower control decks too.

i'm not sure if he's 100% good enough for the deck, but he merits testing.
    -rob

Thread Information