Page 89 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3979858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

I goldfished a bit with this grid echo version and it's really fun. The 13 lands is a little too tight sometimes.
    -rob

Jan 2017
    TN

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I goldfished a bit with this grid echo version and it's really fun. The 13 lands is a little too tight sometimes.
    Yeah, the list is still rough.
    I haven't been getting much time to test lately.

I could see cutting AoI for another land.
    I could also see cutting one of the wheels from the board.

A slightly more expensive AOI just spoiled:

Ignite the Future {3}{R}
    Sorcery

Exile the top three cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards. If this spell was cast from a graveyard, you may play cards this way without paying their mana costs.

Flashback {7}{R} (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

The best part of this deck is to get excited during every set.

It's extremely busted with past in flames.
    -rob

Does Bonus Round copy the flashback thing?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Does Bonus Round copy the flashback thing?
    No, because the copies are not cast, so are not "cast from the graveyard."
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

I figured as much.

been thinking of coming back around to this deck. Maybe this and High Tide. I would need to pick up LED's again though.

They seem to keep pushing sorceries in auxillary sets. Matter of time before the deck reaches THAT power level IMO.

Ignite the Future looks REAL good to me. I may even like it more than Mizzix's Mastery.

I know it isn't tested yet, but thoughts? Does it straight up replace AOI? 3 main 1 board? Feel like that is the norm.

It may not cast off the Bonus Round copies, but it still exiles with tons of mana up likely. I'm excited again! Hope they print it in foil at some point.

I decided to play the challenge this sunday and ended up in third place. I decided to play 2 maindeck emptys as i've found them to be good to pressure the new PWs and pretty good vs delver. Decklist can be found here.

I'm really not good at writing tournament reports, but it felt fun going through the replays again, but i keep it kind of short.

Match 1, UW (probably stoneforge, but saw none, TNNs where in it), OTD
    G1 my reforge gets fowed, and i draw 10 lands 2 lotus petals in my first 17 cards
    G2 10 goblins t1 takes it home.
    G3 Dont remember that much, but i make goblins and have a follow up. ( i already closed MTGO and realized i missed this match)

Match 2 UW with TNN again OTP
    G1 I think i played really good. I brainstorm t1 and see that i can go for goblins t2. But i don't, i wait until turn 3 to play around spell pierce with double ancient tombs. And i hold back one ROF and one PiF so i have a follow up.
    He plows one goblin and plays TNN on his turn. I draw desperate ritual, but only play rof pif, so i can flashback pif next turn. He fows pif and untap and play jitte, he cant stop my flashback pif and i win through bonus round and intuition.
    G2 he goes land ponder, i play a tomb defense grid feeling great as i can win next turn. He plays canonist. I have to wish for banefire and removes the canonist, but he now has 4 mana so he can flusterstorm my attempt to go off. I get down to 4 life and he taps out to play jace to fateseal me. I have enough spells to be able to reforge with 2 mana floating and get a perfect 7 to win the game.

Match 3 vs... UW with TNN, back to basics, daze and councils judgement, lost the die
    G1 I lose a strange game 1 where back to basics surprises me, but i am so flooded so it hardly matters, i never draw any business after a reforge gets fowed. I actually have all my mana producing lands in play at the end of the game except for one ancient tomb.
    G2 T1 defense grid resolves, t2 ruby medallion, t3 reforge and i win.
    G3 I play a t1 ruby medallion, into a t2 defense grid that gets countered, i decide to go for it with a petal and seething song bonus round burning wish and he has nothing

Match 4 vs DnT win the die.
    I have an insane record vs dnt (something like 40-5), so when i win the die roll and see that he casts basic plains it feels great.
    G1 i saw something that was not there, i thought i had a simple t2 kill, but when i go for it i realize that i do not have the bonus round i thought i had. As dnt players always have mom + thalia and i did not have a ruby medallion i die quickly.
    G2 I kept a bad hand, without ruby medallion or cantrips or seething song. Also i play really badly. t1 mom t2 thalia wins the game.

Here i decide to join a league and play a game just to blow of the tilt of losing to DnT. I face ANT and win the first game quickly and then proceeds to turn 1 kill him game 2 after being thoughtseized. It felt almost like my deck apologized to me.

Match 5 Moon stompy win the die
    G1 i make 14 goblins turn 1 and he scoops.
    G2 he plays turn 1 chalice, i have a hand that needs one more mana to go off with bonus round and 2 manamorphoses, he plays t2 blood moon, t3 simian spirit guide. I dont draw mana, so i spend one manamorphose for another shot, draws the land. Miscalculate completely and get PiF RoF of my bonus rounded burning wish, but i'm one mana short due to chalice not giving me 4 of RoF. His next turn he plays scab clan berserker and i do some misplays and die to spirit guide beats.
    G3 i have t1 ruby, he starts with leyline and chalice for 0 and for 1 i bounce them with echoing truth and manage to win by just bonus round seething song banefire for 9x2.

Match 6 Some depths deck, only saw thoughtseize pithing needle and dark confidant.
    G1 he goes urborg pithing needle naming wasteland. I T1 kill him without using reforge or bonus round. My turn was like, petal volcanic desperate ritual ruby medallion manamorphose seething song burning wish for pif and do some cantripping until i could wish for grapeshot and flashback it.
    G2 He thoughtseize a brainstorm, but i draw another one and that one finds me all i need to kill him t2

Match 7 vs sneak and show lost the die
    G1 He spell pierces 2 attempts, but i wish for pif and play it the following turn and he has nothing.
    G2 i have an awkward hand with mana, ruby medallion, defense grid and flusterstorm. I keep it, hoping i draw something as i can protect my defense grid with flusterstorm. I don't draw anything.
    G3 He keeps a hand with lots of permission, but i have a slow hand, he again spell pierces 2 things but i still manage to land 2 rubys and then flusterstorm his fow on my reforge. I draw great and win.

QF vs hoogak depths i win the die
    G1 i land a ruby t1, he has no interaction on his turn and i can reforge t2 with tons of mana floating and win.
    G2 He misses with t1 therapy, i make 14 goblins on my turn, but he makes marit lage on his turn.
    G3 All i need is another initial manasource, and i have a brainstorm. My brainstorm fizzles and he crop rotates in a wasteland and waste my volcanic. Then he surgicals my fetch. I get really lucky and draw simian spirit guide and then lotus petal and win on my t3, starting it without any permanents in play.

SF vs 4c delver lost the die
    G1 he goes t1 delver, i go ruby medallion ancient tomb, he wastes. I play another one and a petal an get to chose between 8 goblins or a reforge, i reforge but get only 1 land, he gets wasteland for my ancient tomb and spell pierce and double fow.
    G2 T1 defense grid, t2 i go off, but make a small mistake with manamorphose mana so i can't win that turn, but i make 26 goblins and win.
    G3 Hand 1 has 6 land and a seething song, hand 2 has no land, so i mull to 5, he thoughtseizes me. I manage to come back this game and in the end it comes down to a bonus rounded brainstorm with a fetch in play and 3 mana floating. I see 5 ruby medallions. Close, but not this time!

Random thoughts

Deck felt good, my only loss in the swiss also ended up in the top 8 and i could have won my semi finals match. I had some really good draws, but also some mulliganing. It's annoying that i flood out on lands quite often, but also quite often get hands completely without them. Should i cut or add? I think i want to fit in a fiery islet, but i don't want to cut a fetchable land and also not a fetch, and not an ancient tomb. So that makes it hard :)
    I don't really know how i feel about empty, sometimes great, but also sometimes just sit in my hand doing nothing. I boarded them out a lot. They can also be traps like in the QF when i make 14 goblins or just in general die to plague engineer. I would probably have won that QF game had it been reforge 3 instead.
    Banefire in the board is just to win through glacial chasm, but also it can kill hatebears, so i prefer it to tendrils. I usually boarded in banefire as my "avoid being killed by surgical on burning wish" card. I liked reforge in the board, it feels better than hazoret when you don't have an active bonus round, but i still want hazoret as my primary engine after bonus round.
    Defense grid feels great again.

I like all the cards in the maindeck except maybe empty, and i even want to run more reforge, more pif and more desperate ritual, but there is no room! So if a new card gets printed it really have to be better fast mana than desperate ritual, better fixing than brainstorm/ponder or bigger bomb than PiF/Reforge/Burning wish. I hope they do print something, but i'm not expecting anything.

Updated list for the challenge?

I had been following Rubystorm for awhile on the forum/reddit.
    It is really an exciting deck playing into it's own advantages of being resilient, while also being strong against traditional storm hate.
    I feel with legacy being such a meta-dependent setting and with people playing cards specific to target meta decks, alternative storm decks have a huge potential if it can be tuned correctly.

With that said, i am a huge fan of the dragonstorm deck and have been trying to make it work. I have been looking through different resources and decklist posted in Hareruya/reddit/mtggoldfish and came up with my own iteration with quite a bit of testing on paper with some of my friends.

i am not sure if this thread is the best place to get help as i think Dragonstorm somewhat closely resembles rubystorm deck.
    The below is my decklist:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Crystal Vein
    2 Dwarven Ruins
    8 Mountain
    2 Sandstone Needle

3 Scourge of Valkas
    3 Stormbreath Dragon
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Dragonstorm
    2 Empty the Warrens
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion

Sideboard
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    2 Chandra, Awakened Inferno
    1 Overmaster
    1 By Force
    1 Cave-In
    1 Dragonstorm
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Mizzix's Mastery
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Pyroclasm

Notes:
    -Many people have asked me why i play this over TES/ANT. I believe that Dragonstorm still has it's merits in terms if being able to do well against non-blue decks, either combo early or ramp into unanswerable beatdown. It also has a more stable manabase against wasteland decks It can attack from different angles where TES/ANT can have a tough time against permanent based hate like chalice/nullrod/thalia/canonist etc...
    -I chose to use stormbreath dragon as legacy does not have a good way to remove it, plow/decay/push etc. I have won playing this turn1 against both Maverick & Dnt, where they have no answer to it, and the ability to turn monstrous with some ramp spells can also close out games without combat. However it is mainly the protection from white that carries it.
    -I play crytal vein over city as i find city to inhibit mana growth, the deck only needs the accelaration when it wants to go off, so opening up or drawing city early is really bad.
    -I play 2+2 chandra in board specifically against control decks as they usually have a hard time getting rid of them and do not have a board.

I find that the deck mainly has problem in terms of resiliency against counterspells, traditional storm plays 8hand disruption+veil summer/fluster or Xantid out of SB. More often than not i get countered on Wish and it is a long wait till i get a payoff spell. That's y i am trying to get your opinion on a couple of things:
    1)How Rubystorm tackles this problem of counterspell.
    2)Also i'm thinking about an overhaul of the deck to either play UR for cantrip+LED/echo of eons or BR for discard/rituals/infernal tutors. i have almost all legacy cards, so budget is not a concern.

Any form of feedback/criticism is welcome.Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksummer View Post
    I had been following Rubystorm for awhile on the forum/reddit.
    It is really an exciting deck playing into it's own advantages of being resilient, while also being strong against traditional storm hate.
    I feel with legacy being such a meta-dependent setting and with people playing cards specific to target meta decks, alternative storm decks have a huge potential if it can be tuned correctly.

With that said, i am a huge fan of the dragonstorm deck and have been trying to make it work. I have been looking through different resources and decklist posted in Hareruya/reddit/mtggoldfish and came up with my own iteration with quite a bit of testing on paper with some of my friends.

i am not sure if this thread is the best place to get help as i think Dragonstorm somewhat closely resembles rubystorm deck.
    The below is my decklist:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Crystal Vein
    2 Dwarven Ruins
    8 Mountain
    2 Sandstone Needle

3 Scourge of Valkas
    3 Stormbreath Dragon
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Dragonstorm
    2 Empty the Warrens
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion

Sideboard
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    2 Chandra, Awakened Inferno
    1 Overmaster
    1 By Force
    1 Cave-In
    1 Dragonstorm
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Mizzix's Mastery
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Pyroclasm

Notes:
    -Many people have asked me why i play this over TES/ANT. I believe that Dragonstorm still has it's merits in terms if being able to do well against non-blue decks, either combo early or ramp into unanswerable beatdown. It also has a more stable manabase against wasteland decks It can attack from different angles where TES/ANT can have a tough time against permanent based hate like chalice/nullrod/thalia/canonist etc...
    -I chose to use stormbreath dragon as legacy does not have a good way to remove it, plow/decay/push etc. I have won playing this turn1 against both Maverick & Dnt, where they have no answer to it, and the ability to turn monstrous with some ramp spells can also close out games without combat. However it is mainly the protection from white that carries it.
    -I play crytal vein over city as i find city to inhibit mana growth, the deck only needs the accelaration when it wants to go off, so opening up or drawing city early is really bad.
    -I play 2+2 chandra in board specifically against control decks as they usually have a hard time getting rid of them and do not have a board.

I find that the deck mainly has problem in terms of resiliency against counterspells, traditional storm plays 8hand disruption+veil summer/fluster or Xantid out of SB. More often than not i get countered on Wish and it is a long wait till i get a payoff spell. That's y i am trying to get your opinion on a couple of things:
    1)How Rubystorm tackles this problem of counterspell.
    2)Also i'm thinking about an overhaul of the deck to either play UR for cantrip+LED/echo of eons or BR for discard/rituals/infernal tutors. i have almost all legacy cards, so budget is not a concern.

Any form of feedback/criticism is welcome.Thank you.
    Hello,

To answer your question about counterspells, often it's just a threat density. For a bit, especially after G. Probe was banned, some people played Overmaster as a cute can-trip and uncounterable gimmick. However, the real star is just being able to play faster than a blue mage may have counterspells available, and at the end of the day, a Past in Flames that allows everything to be reused. (As far as counters go, I'd much rather an opponent counter my Burning Wish so it goes to the gy, instead of countering whatever my BW target was, EtW excepted.) Bonus Round has become a staple, and while it will still enables an opponent's counterspells as well, there's just so much more value added of all the spells being more intense. At the end of the day, brute force, that's how Ruby Storm battles counterspells. Having more need to counter threats than they have answers. Fast mana into card draw (either the Light Up the Stage/Act on Impulse/Commune with Lava remove cards, or straight draw Manamorphose, Overmaster with Bonus Round effects, or the D7 - Reforge the Soul, with or without miracle trigger) plus threats equal win.

Blue mages really have it so good because they get to see more cards than other decks. Ruby Storm is one of the few decks that can go over the top in the cards we can see. Kinda like the same principle behind dredge, more options, better choices.

Rambling answer, for your deck, some number of PiF in order to reload. Only works if there are still dragons in library though.
    Last edited by ahg113; 08-12-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Hello,

To answer your question about counterspells, often it's just a threat density. For a bit, especially after G. Probe was banned, some people played Overmaster as a cute can-trip and uncounterable gimmick. However, the real star is just being able to play faster than a blue mage may have counterspells available, and at the end of the day, a Past in Flames that allows everything to be reused. (As far as counters go, I'd much rather an opponent counter my Burning Wish so it goes to the gy, instead of countering whatever my BW target was, EtW excepted.) Bonus Round has become a staple, and while it will still enables an opponent's counterspells as well, there's just so much more value added of all the spells being more intense. At the end of the day, brute force, that's how Ruby Storm battles counterspells. Having more need to counter threats than they have answers. Fast mana into card draw (either the Light Up the Stage/Act on Impulse/Commune with Lava remove cards, or straight draw Manamorphose, Overmaster with Bonus Round effects, or the D7 - Reforge the Soul, with or without miracle trigger) plus threats equal win.

Blue mages really have it so good because they get to see more cards than other decks. Ruby Storm is one of the few decks that can go over the top in the cards we can see. Kinda like the same principle behind dredge, more options, better choices.

Rambling answer, for your deck, some number of PiF in order to reload. Only works if there are still dragons in library though.
    Thanks for the input man.
    So basically having a higher density of threats/"must-counter" would be more ideal compared to preemptive disruption?
    What about sideboard defense grids+pyroblasts over alternative wincons like current Chandras?

I don't think i will be able to fit bonus round into the deck. It doesn't really synergizes on how the deck wants to play too.
    It basically wants to be able to win off a low storm count hand through traditional storm-hate cards while being able to have alternative win con should the situation arise.

What are your thoughts on running UR since Rubystorm has also evolved to playing brainstorm/ponder to see more cards?
    Or else going BR for the additional infernal tutors + stronger dark ritual/cabal ritual acceleration.
    I think running 2colors, the deck has a better chance of pumping out and overloading opponents.

Also will LED be a good fit in the deck, whilst increasing the number of PiF?

Thanks for the input man.
    So basically having a higher density of threats/"must-counter" would be more ideal compared to preemptive disruption?
    What about sideboard defense grids+pyroblasts over alternative wincons like current Chandras?

I don't think i will be able to fit bonus round into the deck. It doesn't really synergizes on how the deck wants to play too.
    It basically wants to be able to win off a low storm count hand through traditional storm-hate cards while being able to have alternative win con should the situation arise.

What are your thoughts on running UR since Rubystorm has also evolved to playing brainstorm/ponder to see more cards?
    Or else going BR for the additional infernal tutors + stronger dark ritual/cabal ritual acceleration.
    I think running 2colors, the deck has a better chance of pumping out and overloading opponents.

Also will LED be a good fit in the deck, whilst increasing the number of PiF?
    So our decks are similar in nature (red, storm, over the top in lieu of value), but focus on doing way different things. I agree that Bonus Round does next to nothing for your deck.

- about splashes, I have not a good basis to answer your question. Splash-Ruby Storm trades AoI, LED and LuTS for Ponder, Brainstorm, Desperate Ritual and miser Inquisition. I, mainly for budget and curmudgeon reasons, opt for mono-red. A splash in your deck of either variety I have no idea. The blue splash has more card selection, but it's incorrect to say they see more cards.

- I am a fan of defense grid. It's easy enough to cast, is fine in multiples, doesn't disrupt the combo. I've tried pyroblast and wasn't a fan. Feels as though 1 is never enough, and it just sits in hand waiting for a reaction. Needing to always keep a red mana open is cumbersome, it is an undocumented tax on the rest of your spell/game plan. When I board in D.Grids, I think I often side out 3 sorceries so the cards are still technically available to me with B.W. 1 each AoI, LuTS, RoF.

- preemptive disruption is good in TES/ANT because it's hyper specific and there's more tools in the color- black. If green were the discard color, and black still the rituals, those decks would be dramatically different. There is red disruption, but those are the punisher cards, and often not considered good. Skullscorch, Molten Influence, Book Burning. But yeah, I'm sure you know of those cards, and choose not to use them, because the result will never be what you want.

- About LED- how much do you like cards in your hand? When mono-Ruby Storm is about to do it's thing, it churns through all of the cards and doesn't need cards in hand because LED has the best synergy with AoI, LuTS, Commune with Lava. The splash version plays cards from hand, and therefore skip LED.

I was a fan when I ran it in Ruby Storm, but even more so in Dragonstorm I would be trying to do Faithless Looting and Mizzix's Mastery maindecked. MM cheats on the Dragonstorm mana so hard and adds another storm count.

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    So our decks are similar in nature (red, storm, over the top in lieu of value), but focus on doing way different things. I agree that Bonus Round does next to nothing for your deck.

- about splashes, I have not a good basis to answer your question. Splash-Ruby Storm trades AoI, LED and LuTS for Ponder, Brainstorm, Desperate Ritual and miser Inquisition. I, mainly for budget and curmudgeon reasons, opt for mono-red. A splash in your deck of either variety I have no idea. The blue splash has more card selection, but it's incorrect to say they see more cards.

- I am a fan of defense grid. It's easy enough to cast, is fine in multiples, doesn't disrupt the combo. I've tried pyroblast and wasn't a fan. Feels as though 1 is never enough, and it just sits in hand waiting for a reaction. Needing to always keep a red mana open is cumbersome, it is an undocumented tax on the rest of your spell/game plan. When I board in D.Grids, I think I often side out 3 sorceries so the cards are still technically available to me with B.W. 1 each AoI, LuTS, RoF.

- preemptive disruption is good in TES/ANT because it's hyper specific and there's more tools in the color- black. If green were the discard color, and black still the rituals, those decks would be dramatically different. There is red disruption, but those are the punisher cards, and often not considered good. Skullscorch, Molten Influence, Book Burning. But yeah, I'm sure you know of those cards, and choose not to use them, because the result will never be what you want.

- About LED- how much do you like cards in your hand? When mono-Ruby Storm is about to do it's thing, it churns through all of the cards and doesn't need cards in hand because LED has the best synergy with AoI, LuTS, Commune with Lava. The splash version plays cards from hand, and therefore skip LED.
    Hey man,

Sorry for the delay in reply.
    It is pretty difficult to fit in cantrips as well, as it would replace most of the acceleration pieces.
    Also if any one currently playing UR Rubystorm has the experience where adding blue and 1mana cantrips makes the deck more vulnerable to hate pieces, like chalice/thalia/thorns or even wasteland when fetching for volcs T1.

As for LED, I think it can be really powerful when playing with exile draw engines like what you mentioned. It also plays extremely well with PiF, increasing resiliency of the deck to counterspells. I will try to fit them in and play test abit to see if there are any problems.

Defense grid is really something I like too, I tink I will play 3x in SB to replace the chandras, as it is more of a must counter compare and plays better with the gameplan as oppose to trying to have a slower alternative wincon.

I will update again on playtest results if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    I was a fan when I ran it in Ruby Storm, but even more so in Dragonstorm I would be trying to do Faithless Looting and Mizzix's Mastery maindecked. MM cheats on the Dragonstorm mana so hard and adds another storm count.
    YES !!! I was actually waiting for someone to mentioned this as well.
    Have you tried this version? How did you find it, like what are the common problems/weaknesses you found.
    I can surely think of getting MM countered/or dragonstorm surgical-ed postboard.

Also if any one currently playing UR Rubystorm has the experience where adding blue and 1mana cantrips makes the deck more vulnerable to hate pieces, like chalice/thalia/thorns or even wasteland when fetching for volcs T1.
    In my experience (currently playing 1x island and 1x mountain) it improves the deck vs thalia/thorn/trinisphere as you can dig towards answers better with ponder than AoI. But Chalice is obviously stronger vs ponder/brainstorm. I do occasionaly lose game 1s where i keep a hand with like 3 land, 1 ruby 3 cantrips OTD and the opponent starts with t1 chalice. But if i know i'm playing vs chalice it usually feels ok, you just have to save your cantrips until you've cast bonus round. Wasteland is a bit weird tho. I sometimes feel like having volcanics in the deck improves the wasteland matchup, as i can draw out their wastelands to save my ancient tombs. Most of the time ancient tomb is their wasteland target anyways if given the choice. You do have to think about it tho, maybe chose not to ponder T1, sometimes that is the correct choice anyways because you want to save your ponder until you have cast a bonus round.

Back to basics really can punish you, i've lost a few games where i try to go off on my third turn and tapping out with 2x volc and ancient tomb and they have the fow and untap and slam back to basics.

I ran LEDs, faithless looting and MM mained and wishboard.

This was pre-bonus round. Led made it easy to overload MM and cast the entire yard basically.

I think it may change more with this new edh card though.

It seems very strong with both PiF and Snapcaster.

So i did a couple of games over the weekend, tweaking the monored list abit.
    For anyone interested, here's a short report (can't really remember the first game too well, i just woke up then)

Monored Dragonstorm
    1) 2-1 against Urza thropter meek. G1 Dragonstorm off. G3 Early goblin beatdown. G2 Boarded in all 3xdefense grids and drew all 3 during the course of the game, opponent seem to play monoblue. Loss to sword+thropter combo as unable to find draw payoff cards. No interaction game, all trying to race to combo off.

2) 2-1 against High tide. Lost g1 opponent combo-ed off during my turn and i drew like 50cards, i could only managed to storm off for 3dragons thinking to attack the next turn but it was not fast enough. Won game2 from stormbreath dragon beatdown after dragonstorm get flustered, opponent couldnt find gas. Won game3 with early stormbreath into monstrosity beatdown.

3) 2-0 against cloudpost. Won game1 from turn2 rituals into hazoret into more petal rituals and dragonstorm off for gazillion dmg. Won game2 from turn3 double ruby, wish for rite of flame into rituals into dragonstorm for 4, while opponent has 2post+eye ugin in play beating down with eldrazi smasher. GG

4) 2-0 against RG lands with manabonds, opponent fast start with fetch > exploration into t2 manabond dropping 2x wastelands 1xghostquarter and sylvan library draw 2 and down to 11life. I started off mountain into crystal vein and ruby. land 2nd mountain, 1desprate+seethingsong and cast scrouge+stormbreath in same turn, still with seethingsong in hand, opponent concedes. G2, opponent starts off fast again fetch> exploration into wasteland. Play urborg and another land and cast chalice on 1 turn2 pass. I played mountain into tomb into ruby pass. Tomb wasted and T3 cast manamorphose, drew another tomb, cast lotus petal into desprate ritual/seethingsong into wish for dragonstorm for the win. GG

5) 2-1 against red prison, g1 opponent mull three times and concede, lol no lands? G2, opponent plays an early t2 chandra into t3 karn creator and wished for spyglass. I had kept a all in hand with only rituals /hazoret/scrouge, cast t1 ruby into turn2 hazoret and flipped lotus lotus song wish, cast all for free and wished for dragonstorm, made the mistake of forgetting karn turns off lotuses, could not cast dragonstorm. Drew scrouge later and tried to delay time to draw more mana while opponent use karn again to grab bridge and hide behind it until chandra ultis. Managed to draw more ruby+desprate rituals but opponent's chandra emblem + legion warboss 1turn too fast. G3, i turn2 with 2mountain in play mana morp/lotus /ritex2 /wish into 12goblins. Opponent concedes with 1mountain in play.

Did not managed to get game against meta-decks like 4c/delvers/stoneforge etc. Will try to get more games going, preferably against these decks.
    I am still tinkering with the looting/Mizzix version, if there's time i will report back on the results as well.

Thread Information