1 Rite of Flame
    1 Overmaster
    1 By Force
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Cave-In
    3 Defense Grid

It is really strong against almost any non-blue creature decks. The ability to land a t1 or t2 dragon and just go for the cheese fatty beatdown is something many legacy decks can't handle. Everyone is so engrossed in using cards that beat meta threats. Also i feel playing monored with basics makes the deck resilient against the rampant wasteland/moon/b2b decks now. It basically ignores chalice and thalia effects. I am trying to test more against blue control decks to see how well it deals with counterspells.

The things i want to improve on might be the mana acceleration (red rituals are so much worst compared to black's) and maybe sideboard.
    How i wish lotus field did not come into play tapped xDD
    Last edited by Blacksummer; 08-27-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Re: Ruby Storm

Managed to get another 3 games going consecutive of the last 5 on Monored-Dragonstorm (currently 7-1) :
    *Was playing Kyfly's jund phoenix this week as well.

Game 6
    6)2-1 UW stoneblade.
    G1, OTD cast ruby and got FON, then managed to storm off for 14 goblins using wish to grab extra ritual from sb with empty in hand. Opponent conceded with 3lands, and 2turns of pondering.
    G2 OTD Managed to storm off for 12goblins with opponent putting in SFM > batterskull. Attacked for 12 and opponent killed 2 and gain 4life, net 6dmg. Opponent did not attack next turn pass. I attacked with 10gobbs, opponent chose to block, so net 4dmg, I cast Chandra,awakened inferno and had the dilemma to clear board or +2emblem and hold out or -2 and clear board dealing 3dmg to all. I chose to -2 and clear which opponent returns bskull to hand. Opponent then cast TNN and pass, i drew stormbreath and tried to cast it, but opponent brainstorm and FOW. I +2 to emblem and end. Opponent then attacked with TNN and pass. I drew mountain and opponent clique and i +2emblem again to try to get either wish or another creature/empty next turn to race. i was at 14 and opponent 12. Opponent attacked for 6 to kill 4loyalty Chandra. I drew manamorph into ritual and GG.
    G3 OTP, mulled and started off with slow but ok hand with 2stormbreath + wish + dragonstorm+tomb/mountain. Drew into a couple of rituals and baited a counterspell using wish. Opponent plays a SFM and pass. I see no threat and choose to delay to draw into more rituals to play dragonstorm instead of playing out stormbreath. T3 Opponent leaves up mana and pass, prepares to play bskull on my turn. I drew into crystal vein and stormed off with rite/spliced desprate rit x2 and puts 3scrouge+1stormbreat into play for 34dmg. GG
    SB
    Out 1PIF/1Hazoret/1Reforge/1Dragonstorm
    In 3Defense grid/1chandra awkened

Game 7
    7) 0-2 against TES. Both game opponent went off on his turn1, land /ritual/chrome/LED/tutor into ad nauseum for the win. Did not have any tools to deal with opponent. Best hand i had was G1 where i could go off turn2, if opponent passed, with dragonstorm in hand and t1 ancient tomb+ ruby in play, rituals and dragonstorm.

Game 8
    8)2-1 BR Reanimator. BEST COMEBACK against a smugg opponent,
    G1 OTD, T1 played a ruby, passed, opponent end turn entombed for elesh norn. He exhumed during his turn and said "good luck". My t2, lay a mountain 2x rite of flame, desprate ritual and wished for third rite of flame and cast Dragonstorm from hand, pinged for like 80dmg LOLGG.
    G2, Opponent had turn2 Iona naming red, OTD my hand was not fast enough, needed at least turn2.
    G3, opponent opened with chancellor so I played dwarven ruins and passed. Opponent unmasked + thoughtseize himself to put chancellor in GY and took my burning wish, played a lotus petal and end. T2 i played mountain + sac dwarven to pay for manamorph and played all rituals allowing me to cast stormbreath in hand and hit for 4. Opponent end turn and entomb Iona. Reanimated iona using exhume during his turn naming red. We raced and opponent conceded as stormbreath had protection from white...opponent left without GG
    Last edited by Blacksummer; 09-07-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

nice
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm curious if an Arclight Phoenix plan would be good in this deck, especially if we incorporated Faithless Looting.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Old School
    Jan 2004
    Rotterdam, NY otherwise known as the 1.5 Capital

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I'm curious if an Arclight Phoenix plan would be good in this deck, especially if we incorporated Faithless Looting.
    It's a nice idea, especially with 4 Faithless Looting and a Buried Alive in the sideboard. I fiddle around with playing them every now and then just to keep my local meta on thier toes.
    Mythic Rogue Deck Builder
    Team Freshly Baked Crayons
    Team Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher487 View Post
    It's a nice idea, especially with 4 Faithless Looting and a Buried Alive in the sideboard. I fiddle around with playing them every now and then just to keep my local meta on thier toes.
    There is actually already a phoenix storm list.
    Though it has not yet put up big results, there have been a couple of showings in scg as well as mtgo. The power level is definitely there as a legacy powered deck.

It basically runs a Grixis color with:
    -Discard package
    -Cantrips
    -rituals/petals/LED
    -buried alive
    -Infernal tutors
    -PIF
    -Phoenix
    -Tendrils

I have tried a couple of games with it, the problems i found is that the deck trades speed+consistancy for resiliency+angles of attack.
    The deck is quite all in and getting a crucial tutor or buried alive countered is pretty much GG.
    Also opening 7 seem to be quite skewed where hands can be insanely good or just awkwardly slow with discard + phoenix + cantrip, playing like a "4mana grixis delver deck"

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

At this point it prob makes more sense to do that infernal tutor version of the Phoenix deck.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksummer View Post
    Hey MrCakes !!!

I am currently running :
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Crystal Vein
    2 Dwarven Ruins
    8 Mountain
    2 Sandstone Needle

3 Scourge of Valkas
    3 Stormbreath Dragon
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Dragonstorm
    2 Empty the Warrens
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion

SB
    1 Chandra, Awakened Inferno
    1 Dragonstorm
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Mizzix's Mastery
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Overmaster
    1 By Force
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Cave-In
    3 Defense Grid

It is really strong against almost any non-blue creature decks. The ability to land a t1 or t2 dragon and just go for the cheese fatty beatdown is something many legacy decks can't handle. Everyone is so engrossed in using cards that beat meta threats. Also i feel playing monored with basics makes the deck resilient against the rampant wasteland/moon/b2b decks now. It basically ignores chalice and thalia effects. I am trying to test more against blue control decks to see how well it deals with counterspells.

The things i want to improve on might be the mana acceleration (red rituals are so much worst compared to black's) and maybe sideboard.
    How i wish lotus field did not come into play tapped xDD
    do you think that your list here can be improved by the new 1RRR add seven Red mana? with ruby you can have a game like this:

turn 1 tomb + ruby. turn 2 mtn + seething song, burning wish (for dstorm), new card for RRR (now you have 9 red mana), cast dragonstorm for 4 dragons.
    -rob

I've been having really bad results lately. The delver matchup has never been that great, but lately it feels unwinnable and also a lot more frequent. BR-reanimator has become more popular online again, and the sneak and show matchup that actually were fine before the london mulligan has become a lot worse. So after a bad result in the third format challenge last saturday i decided to rethink some things. This is what i built

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Rite of Flame
    3 Bonus Round
    4 Manamorphose
    2 Past in Flames
    10 Mountain
    4 Light Up the Stage
    2 Desperate Ritual
    4 Seething Song
    4 Ignite the Future
    3 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Fiery Islet

1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Banefire
    2 Abrade
    1 Hazoret's undying fury
    2 Defense Grid
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Bonus Round
    1 Tormod's Crypt

I've made some smaller changes with regards to land count and some sideboard cards, but i basically played this list for 25 league matches and went 14-11 (but that does not say that much about anything). My reasoning for trying this build was that chalice is good against my bad matchups and i get to try Ignite the Future, and can skip playing Act on Impulse which i never liked. I did not play reforge as i prefer when i can use cantrips to set it up. I should have replace hazoret with one reforge tho.

I did really like ignite the future, the flashback is surprisingly relevant. Sometimes i cast it on turn 2, to set up a nice t3 but my opponent had double counters and stopped me. Then a top decked LED or seething song a turn or 2 later put me back in the game. (I do think ItF is somewhat bugged on MTGO tho, but not entirely sure).

Chalice felt really good, like really really good, but most of the time it got fowed. And i actually think i lost more games than i won while starting ancient tomb -> chalice. But that is mostly due to my other discovery. This deck feels worse against wasteland than my regular UR-deck. Ancient tomb is _so_ important when your carddraw cost 3/4. I could have a starthand where i had
    Tomb, chalice, mountain, seething song, Ruby, ItF, Burning wish
    It feels like a strong hand, but how do you play it? I started with tomb - chalice, which got fowed and then the ancient tomb got wastelanded and i did not draw land for 3 turns and then it was to late. It happened multiple times that i sat there with my chalice for 1 while my opponent beat me to death with a tarmogoyf.

The other thing that surprised me was how often i fizzled out from positions that i thought were a clean kill. Situations were i had seething song -> bonus round -> manamorphose -> LutS. And drew like lands and spells that cost > 1 mana and had to pass the turn.
    Another thing is the nonbo between chalice and bonus round. It sucks when your bonus round enables your opponent to get through a crop rotation or even just the one copy of spell pierce.

To summarize, things i liked
    Chalice
    ItF
    Being immune to narset
    LED/flipcardinteraction always nice
    LED/pif, always nice

Things i did not like
    Luts does not do that much
    And everything that comes from not having ponder/brainstorm

I don't really know where to go from here. I want both chalice and ponder :)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

The more I try out luts, the less impressed I am with it. It might be time to just run 3 empty maindeck and steal more games this way.
    -rob

Escape to the wilds seems VERY good in this deck. copied with bonus round even more so.

Also a Wish Target.

I think Ignite the Future is still better maindeck.

In regards to drawing lands etc, it is why I played Faithless Looting. I've had games where I just looting multiple times in a row to dig for what I need, typically past in flames. The deck makes so much mana, flashing back isn't a problem, especially with rubies.

Escape to the Wilds does look... wild. Too bad about that pesky green mana symbol. Had it been mono red I would jam a playset in instantly. Though I still think the card has potential to be more than just a wish target. I guess we have to try a green splash now? What options does that open up besides the obvious Veil of Summer and Xantid Swarm?

Cool card, the effect is powerful, but a bit on the expensive side.

I've played 3 color for a short while, just a tropical (started with taiga but switched) and 3 veil of summer. I never had any mana issues with it, but veil did not do what i wanted. It was great vs discard tho and i even got to use it against an echoing truth on my goblins.

But i've been thinking about tinder wall, it does some real good things in the deck. T1 taiga -> tinder wall, T2 ancient tomb and you have 5 mana, enough to bonus round manamorphose and go off. It can also slow down the game while you wait for drawing an out to a canonist or block a scab clan berserker so it does not become renowned. No synergy with bonus round and past in flames is a bit sad tho.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Instead speed tormenting voice could have some relevance for the list.

Just to reiterate that if played with bonus round you only need to discard 1 regardless of the number of copies. Instant speed makes this card playable outside of the combo turn a lot more than tormenting voice.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

haven't had much time to play, but played a few casual matches on modo last night.

2-0 vs GR lands
    2-0 vs BW deadguy
    2-0 vs Maverick
    2-1 vs Manaless Dredge
    0-2 vs Sneak and Show

i think it was just the 5. was one of my older builds with sandstone needles. still felt great. need to test vs blue decks though to really have any meaningful data.
    -rob

I'm thinking of building Ruby Storm. I would like to build the most competitive list.

I was really thinking about putting in 4 chalice and using Desperate Ritual over Rite of Flame. Is 4 LED too much with 4 Petals? I see many lists with no LED, but LED is busted so I dunno, help??
    thanks.

I've tried making a chalice build, but it has not worked out for me. They are bad in multiples and does not feel that impactful in my experience. The biggest problem is that you can't run brainstorm & ponder so you end up with a much more inconsistent deck. But I hope you find a build that works as i love the idea of a chalice storm deck.

I don't think you need to cut rite of flame, it's ok to run 3 1 drops with chalice, esp since they still work pretty good with an active bonus round (let the chalice trigger resolve first so the copy gets the additional mana from the graveyard one).

LED is a good card, but i usually prefer desperate ritual due to the synergy with bonus round and ruby medallion. I don't think you can play both as you end up with > 35 cards that generate mana and that is to much.

The only exception is if you play with the flipcards (AoI, Luts, ItF) then LED is really good and I would definitely play it over desperate ritual.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

So completely random, but In the Theros spoiler thread I noticed the following combo with Deathbellow War Cry: https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ers-2019-12-17. It's 8 mana, but you can search up Fanatic of Mogis, Kragma Warcaller, Rageblood Shaman, and Neheb, the Worthy (if you have one or no cards in hand or Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion (or perhaps Morphon)). Fanatic deals 5/6 damage, and you attack with either 29 haste, trample, first strike power or 24 haste, trample power. This is comparable to Dragonstorm. It's one mana less but you need to run a minimum of 6 Minotaurs. Looking at this thread I saw that a Dragonstorm list was one of the latest so a bit modified to remove the Dragon cards for the Minotaurs and adding in an Irencrag Feat in the Board I get this. Compared to the previous deck you need 1 less mana to go off and you have the same amount of chaff. However, you do have to try to win in the Attack Phase.

Cow Storm

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Crystal Vein
    2 Dwarven Ruins
    8 Mountain
    2 Sandstone Needle

2 Kragma Warcaller
    1 Fanatic of Mogis
    1 Rageblood Shaman
    1 Neheb, the Worthy
    1 Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Deathbellow War Cry
    2 Empty the Warrens
    1 Hazoret's Undying Fury
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion

SB
    1 Irencrag Feat
    1 Deathbellow War Cry
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Mizzix's Mastery
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Overmaster
    1 By Force
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Cave-In
    3 Defense Grid
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i'd prob try to cut a hazoret's and a reforge and just run 2 bonus round. it also helps if you put a rite of flame in the sb. then you have more ways of reaching your mana requirements and can fetch 2 cards with burning wish. (rof + new card) or some other combination.
    -rob

Thread Information