Page 93 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Necro kinda sorta, what a difference two months make.

A. a lot more time to play the deck on cockatrice recently

B. the fother mucking banned Underworld Breach

About the 2nd thing, I get why they did it, but it pisses me off to no end. Yeah yeah, brain freeze trick. Still crap that there is this clear line of can be overly powerful, but awesome so safe, and then everything else. Old bitter man yelling into the wind, shaking fist at the sky. /rant

That aside, I'm really really happy with Ignite the Future. The card does work, and on more than a few times, remembering it is in the gy, the flashback has saved my bacon. Yeah, 8 mana is a lot for most decks, but we can hit that, or even less with Red Rock, but casting the flipped cards for free is just bananas, without the hinderence of [/cards]Hazoret's Fury[/cards] type restrictions. Every once in a while, the deck loses because the shuffler is the devil, but aside from that sacrifice to the chaos, it seems to play really well. The first iteration of this deck, a long time ago, would roll-over and die to Eldrazi, now I feel confidant beating them most often. And just beat up on two different Leo decks because the flip cards don't draw (did play a Reforge into Leo (RTFC DUDE!), but still won that game, on that turn).

Current list -

// Legacy - Ruby Storm - Ignite Lightning Bonus Stage

//
    //

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 11 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Desperate Ritual

// 14 Land
    8 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Sandstone Needle

// 23 Sorcery
    1 Past in Flames
    3 Rite of Flame
    3 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Bonus Round
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Reforge the Soul
    3 Light Up the Stage
    4 Ignite the Future

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Defense Grid

// 12 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Cave-In
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Chain Lightning
    SB: 1 Banefire
    SB: 1 Bonus Round
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame

I'm interested in the Finale of Promise potential. Anyone have a feel for it? Seems like a different flavor of Mizzix's Mastery.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Unfortunately haven't had any time recently. Between moving to a new country, starting a new job, and all this coronavirus stuff going on with a toddler in the house my time is stretched pretty thin.

I have really enjoyed ignite as well. I'll probably wait until the next set comes out before brewing again with this. Remember that with past in flames you get the added effect for the regular cost.

Good note about PiF, but did it the old fashioned way with LEDs.

Have you faced deafening silence? According to mtgtop8 between 10-20 % of the meta have been playing it lately and I don't think you can win with that list? I hate that card, there is no magic involved when it hits the table. I actually had an Anarchy in my sideboard last time I tried ruby.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Necro kinda sorta, what a difference two months make.
    Not really Necro. Underworld Breach made other fringe storm strategies obsolete for a while. Now's a good time to dig this back up, but unfortunately the online meta just spent 2 months tuning their combo hate.

Luckily you aren't hurt that much by Chalice.

Answers to Deafening Silence:
    Anarchy
    Ratchet Bomb
    Chaos Warp
    Apocalypse

The problem with Apocalypse is it's really hard to build enough resources to win after losing your hand, though the opponent has nothing too.

The popularity of Oko, Thief of Crowns also means you can't pass the turn with Ruby Medallion out. I don't know if it's better to just try to go off in one turn or to run answers for Oko (e.g. Pithing Needle, Sorcerous Spyglass).

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Red blast / pyroblast worked best vs oko for me.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    The popularity of Oko, Thief of Crowns also means you can't pass the turn with Ruby Medallion out. I don't know if it's better to just try to go off in one turn or to run answers for Oko (e.g. Pithing Needle, Sorcerous Spyglass).
    Oko is a real pita, an unpopped LED also hurts when it gets goinked.

Oko hasn't been an automatic game over though. WHen it hits the board though, I stop dropping non-land permanents, and I do attempt at winning in one turn. Stacking LuTs and ItFs make it easier to build a critical mass over two turns. Those with AoI also avoid Leo, which I've seen a bunch of on Cockatrice.

Thanks for the advice on Deafening Silence, adding some more random junk rares to the SB is music to my ears. I was not aware that was a card, been absent a bit. And with Apocalypse, again, reiterate the exile and play spells, dequence correctly, play hand, cast Apoc, cast spells that draw actual cards (Manamorphose, RtS), profit.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Answers to Deafening Silence:
    Anarchy
    Ratchet Bomb
    Chaos Warp
    Apocalypse

The problem with Apocalypse is it's really hard to build enough resources to win after losing your hand, though the opponent has nothing too.

I think the answer, in general, is to change Ruby Storm's focus. TES has become the de-facto storm deck to pilot, adopting new cards and a different strategy for disruption/protection. However, they are still pulling on Empty the Warrens to win a lot of games. I've been tuning/tweaking my Ruby Storm list at home (no outlets to play FNM lately...) and I think Turbo-Warrens could be the correct approach. It murders Oko and encourages the deck to be faster, to get in under other decks before they can establish inevitability. The metagame feels like it's going a little slower after the Breach ban (at least online) so it will become focused on mid-range slugfests. This opens a window to pilot an explosive deck, and Ruby Storm is nothing if not explosive.

My current list for reference (Budget, no LED's):

4x Rite of Flame
    4x Desperate Ritual
    4x Seething Song
    4x Manamorphose
    4x Ruby Medallion
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Act on Impulse
    2x Light up the Stage
    2x Past in Flames
    3x Empty the Warrens
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Burning Wish
    3x Bonus Round

2x Ancient Tomb
    12x Mountain

Sideboard
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    1x Grapeshot
    1x Empty the Warrens
    1x Goblin War Strike
    1x Reforge the Soul
    1x Past in Flames
    1x By Force
    1x Bonus Round
    2x Ratchet Bomb
    3x Guttersnipe
    2x Pyroblast

I don't know if Ratchet Bomb is enough against Deafening Silence, but it also has value against Delver decks. I essentially dropped the 2 copies of Scab-Clan Berserker for Ratchet Bomb. Maindeck Lightning Bolt + (2) Bonus Round can sometimes be a wincon by itself, enables Light up the Stage, and makes Grapeshot wins pretty easy.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I think the answer, in general, is to change Ruby Storm's focus. However, they are still pulling on Empty the Warrens to win a lot of games. I've been tuning/tweaking my Ruby Storm list at home (no outlets to play FNM lately...) and I think Turbo-Warrens could be the correct approach.
    Empty the Warrens for 2 goblins won't win games. You literally cannot make any more with Deafening Silence out and it comes out as early as turn 1 OTP.

Turbo-ETW is a good plan against some disruption, but this deck needs an actual way to beat Deafening Silence.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I edited quite a bit, didn't expect such a fast response!

I get that. I included Ratchet Bomb in the board, it seems like the only truly feasible way to combat Silence. EDIT: I also meant a stronger focus on t1 combos, in order to beat a t1 Silence (on the play.)

EDIT: Another avenue could be Scab-Clan Berserker + Guttersnipe out of the board, foregoing the storm route for dudes + Bolts. Not ideal, but it can change the focus enough to force action from the control decks, allowing Bomb to clear the way for a storm win. My inner Timmy would love to also see Thundermaw Hellkite, lol.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 03-31-2020 at 01:40 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I did one league and got extremely close to a 5-0, but lost vs counterbalance miracles 1-2. I tried a 3color version with green for SB veil and Nature's Claim. I also had maindeck daze. None of those things mattered much during my games and the mana felt awful :) But I did like an ignite the future as wish target in the sideboard. Will experiment some more when I get the time

Awesome to hear JosefK, even if it is purple. Ignite the Future is better than a bad card. Expensive, but with the rubies, it ain't that bad.

More of a joke than anything, but I think I found a win-more card for the deck. After a bonus round, makes the math a bit more complicated. Still hoping for something saucy.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

how good is the new companion SB cat in this deck?

he gives +2 storm for free. while he is probably better in ANT and TES than this, I think there is a strong argument to keep one in the sb if the maindeck meets the conditions.

i'll try to think up some lines for this deck that make it worth considering. (Might have to play 1 Infernal Tutor in the sb to work with some lines.)
    -rob

I had to read the card first, because I was about to say no. Now, afterward, I'm mixed. It'd be great to get something back, we're not going to be playing with many permanents over 2, Rubies Petals and LEDs being the most frequent, throw in a defense grid, ratchet bomb maybe. But ultimately, only one a turn? What's the point, the amount invested to get this card on the board could just as easily be used to further whatever gameplan was already enacted. Corner case for ratchet bomb, maybe defense grid.

I want more Sun Titan good type effects too, more LEDs the better. Yet, I have no desire to jam Sun Titan. For what this card promises, I think Echo of Eons can pseudo accomplish (make access available to destroyed artifacts).

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

realistically you want to play a PiF heavy build or a build where you have a way to cast your kill spell vs LED. what this means is you'll need to use some kind of act on impulse effect or have an active PiF.

b/c you can't really do something like: BW-> LED-> CRACK -> Get ToA -> cast cat, recast LED (and now you can't use LED to cast ToA).

it's got some weird quirks, but i think it's overall still worth considering.
    -rob

It's a good card, for sure. I just get hung up on it being off color, no ruby discount. Either you need a manamorphose available, or you're using two petals/LED to cast this. A "free" storm (LED) doesn't seem to be the most impactful play the deck can make.
    Last edited by ahg113; 04-08-2020 at 02:14 PM.

I don't think Zirda has a place in the deck, sadly. It needs to combo up with grim monolith or basalt monolith, and once you're including those in the build, it gets to be the centerpiece. The main problem is that Zirda requires an activated ability.. so ruby medallion can't be included in that case because it's static. Which is a major bummer.

// Rubies.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening
    4 Lotus Petal

// 3 Creature
    3 Simian Spirit Guide

// 12 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    4 Desperate Ritual

// 13 Land
    10 Mountain
    3 City of Traitors

// 22 Sorcery
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Rite of Flame
    3 Bonus Round
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Reforge the Soul
    2 Empty the Warrens

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Defense Grid

// 2 Enchantment
    SB: 2 Blood Moon

// 11 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Lightning Surge
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Anger of the Gods
    SB: 1 Pirate's Pillage
    SB: 1 Pulverize
    SB: 1 Mizzium Mortars

That's my current build, though I'm pretty low on mizzium mortars tbh. If you're making enough mana to cast its overload, you can just banefire to the face ftw. Twinning staff could be a neat little 1-of though.

// Rubies.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening
    4 Lotus Petal

// 3 Creature
    3 Simian Spirit Guide

// 12 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    3 Desperate Ritual

// 13 Land
    10 Mountain
    3 City of Traitors

// 22 Sorcery
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Rite of Flame
    3 Bonus Round
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Reforge the Soul
    3 Empty the Warrens

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact

// 13 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Goblin War Strike
    SB: 1 Mizzix's Mastery
    SB: 1 Anarchy

The 'board is edited up in this version. That's probably what I would roll with. Anarchy is the best way to deal w/deafening silence imo.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by WizKid51 View Post
    // Rubies.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening
    4 Lotus Petal

// 3 Creature
    3 Simian Spirit Guide

// 12 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    3 Desperate Ritual

// 13 Land
    10 Mountain
    3 City of Traitors

// 22 Sorcery
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Rite of Flame
    3 Bonus Round
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Reforge the Soul
    3 Empty the Warrens

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact

// 13 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Goblin War Strike
    SB: 1 Mizzix's Mastery
    SB: 1 Anarchy

The 'board is edited up in this version. That's probably what I would roll with. Anarchy is the best way to deal w/deafening silence imo.
    if you're still jamming this deck, i recommend trying the following card out:

bösium strip

i would cut 1 empty the warrens (move it to the sb). this card has some really cool application.

let's say you have turn 1 land + ruby medallion.
    so if you have turn 2 seething song + manamorphose = 7 mana
    you can cast strip, activate it, play manamorphose and seething song and you're back up to 5 mana
    and then anything you cast off the top can be replayed
    it's not incredible, but i think it still has some merit

b/c if you had only past in flames there instead
    you go turn 2 seething song, manamorphose, cast PiF (4 remaining, cast manamorphose (5), cast seething song (8)
    if you cast an act on impulse there you go to 6, i guess you can flashback pif and flashback act on impulse there, but you're out of mana
    so there are definitely some plays where strip is going to be stronger

i don't think it pushed out PiF or bonus round, but it does help the deck function from another angle. given that you're already running 2 helm of awakening, i think this card can steal some games out of nowhere.

i would test it more myself, but i've been playing a lot more premodern when i have the time. i really do like this card though, and i think it should be explored more when possible.
    -rob

I've realized that the dragonstorm version of the deck with irencrag feat is more viable. But bosium strip is interesting. definitely worth a look. I still have the pieces but im on to other decks at the moment. The deck is great fun to play with but I have a tough time winning my weeklies with it. Best I've done is 2-1. Premodern is an excellent and healthy format. My friends are all phobic of it, so I don't get to play it at all in person. But I can't blame you for wanting to, because if I could I would play mostly that.

Thread Information