Page 94 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Ruby Storm

i think with this new spoiled pandemonium dragon it is a bit more competitive.

terror of the peaks (new enabler)
    knollspine dragon (draw cards?)
    thundermaw hellkite (15 damage)
    dragonlord kologhan (17 damage)
    karrthus, tyrant of jund (19 damage with dragonstorm and stormcount = 2)

most of the time storm count will be at least 3, but it is interesting that you could just have irencrag feat 1RRR -> dragonstorm and most likely win. getting to 6 mana and casting irencrag isn't so hard. it's only 4 if you have a ruby. could be worth testing.

thanks for revisiting.
    -rob

Sep 2011

Would you rebuild around Feat maindeck? Or just have 1-of Irencrag in the SB as a line to Wish into Dragonstorm?

Maindeck Irencrag -> Dragonstorm Plan A seems more linear and high variance, because you need to resolve the ramp in a certain order.

You could try something like this

// 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Artifact
    3 Lotus Petal
    3 Helm of Awakening
    4 Ruby Medallion

// 4 Creatures
    1 Terror of the Peaks
    1 Thundermaw Hellkite
    1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
    1 Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund

// 12 Instant
    4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song

// 15 Land
    10 Mountain
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Ancient Tomb

// 20 Sorcery
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Act on Impulse
    3 Bonus Round
    3 Empty the Warrens
    2 Dragonstorm

//Wishboard: 10
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Dragonstorm
    1 Irencrag Feat
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Bonus Round
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Pulverize
    1 Anarchy

Basically I cut out engines that open you up to vulnerabilities. PiF is weak to GY hate. Reforge gives them a fresh grip of disruption. Instead there's bit more colorless ramp to ramp into any of the following plays:
    - Ramp into maindeck Dragonstorm
    - Hardcast dragon
    - Wish for Irencrag, then cast Dragonstorm from hand next turn
    - Bonus Round + Burning Wish (2 or more copies) into Irencrag + Dragonstorm

With a Medallion out and resolved Bonus Round, you just need RRRR to win with Burning Wish.
    R: Burning Wish x 2 -> Irencrag + Dragonstorm
    RRR: Irencrag x 2 -> 14 mana
    Dragonstorm with at least 4 copies

With the Dragonstorm wincon, you can probably cut subpar wincons like Banefire, Lightning Surge and Goblin War Strike.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i'd add a 5th dragon, cut the helms, add a lotus petal, cut the warrens and then you have room for 3 cards. it's been a while since i've looked at the recent sets, so it likely needs some adjusting.

also mizzix's mastery is quite good with dragonstorm if you have faithless looting and/or LED.
    -rob

// Dragonstorm

// 60 Maindeck
    // 6 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Lotus Petal

// 9 Creature
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
    1 Atarka, World Render
    1 Thundermaw Hellkite
    1 Terror of Mount Velus
    1 Lathliss, Dragon Queen
    1 Terror of the Peaks

// 11 Instant
    4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Seething Song
    3 Pyretic Ritual

// 16 Land
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors

// 18 Sorcery
    3 Dragonstorm
    4 Rite of Flame
    3 Irencrag Feat
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Reforge the Soul

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Defense Grid

// 4 Enchantment
    SB: 4 Blood Moon

// 4 Instant
    SB: 1 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 3 Pyroblast

// 4 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Dragonstorm
    SB: 1 Irencrag Feat
    SB: 1 Mizzix's Mastery
    SB: 1 Anarchy

This is what I'm running currently. I think you're right on the Terror of the Peaks count. That card is very good. For me Atarka, World Render is a must include. I also think Terror of Mount Velus is worth a look as well. Knollspine really doesn't do much because you're already powering out dragons. I might even take a looksie at the original bamf, that being Dragon Tyrant. Double Strike and Trample and Firebreathing on a 6/6 is very strong. Karrthus is good but if you draw it, well, good luck to you because you will now need 2 lotus petals, which is a toughie. A friend of mine saw the bonus round version and posted it in our group chat. But personally, I think this is entirely the wrong approach. Personally I think reforge the soul is much stronger, and allows us to utilize mizzix's mastery with a discarded dragonstorm. Bonus round builds tend to need a lot of casting spells and we are not in need of that. Sure, Act on Impulse for 6 is great and most likely nets a win, but it's overkill at that point. Besides which, the RR in bonus round is prohibitive. I often have difficulty casting 'round in my normal ruby list, let alone a dragonstorm list. But that is my opinion, and I've not tested the 'round out in dragonstorm. I'm certainly very open to sideboard suggestions though! Thanks guys

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Valakut Awakening looks pretty good for the deck. Haven't played much legacy since March, but could be a useful addition to the deck.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

this new flip card is also pretty cool. (1R sorcery). being able to burning wish for a land is pretty cool.
    -rob

Assuming the leak/spoiler is correct, a new flexible card might be a shoe in:

Jeska's Will 2R
    Sorcery (R)
    Choose one. If you control a commander as you cast this spell, you may choose both.
    • Add R for each card in target opponent's hand.
    • Exile the top three cards of your library. You may play them this turn.

4 copies of either seething song (At sorcery speed, which shouldn't matter) or AoI. Seems like an auto include or auto replace of one of the existing ones. Can even be wished for.

Edit: I'm assuming this would get 5 red mana, assuming an opponent plays a land or does something in the first turn or two. obviously dependent on the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

thanks for posting this. nate shared this with me yesterday as i haven't been so up-to-date on the spoilers.

things of note for this card.

the ritual effect might be best in versions where you are running reforge the soul. (post reforge you are likely to get 7 mana, and even 5 after FoW)

with bonus round, the mode that you select must be selected for the copy.

// 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 2 Creature
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

// 11 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    3 Desperate Ritual

// 14 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Sandstone Needle
    6 Mountain

// 21 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Jeska's Will

sb still has a typical wishboard, but i'm not sure if there's other new cards i'm overlooking. i really enjoy the LED plan. this version is mostly looking to ramp up and chain act/wills.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

can we just play this in the sb?
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post

can we just play this in the sb?
    It does seem quite strong especially with bonus round. However Runaway Steam-Kin is a similar card that plays better through hate. When would krark be better?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I won't play this. Bonus Round guarantees doubling up. It will only take 1-2 times of whiffing to see this is not a reliable engine card.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

It's cool with bonus round, play manamorphose, whatever the outcome of the flip you win :) but I think it's more cool than good.
    If jeskai's will turns out to be real (It's not in all spoilers?) I think it might be really really good.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    It's cool with bonus round, play manamorphose, whatever the outcome of the flip you win :) but I think it's more cool than good.
    If jeskai's will turns out to be real (It's not in all spoilers?) I think it might be really really good.
    YES, Jeska's Will is a straight swap for Light up the Stage in my list if it turns out real.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

One sided wheel of fortune. :)
    -rob

Wheel
    I really don't like this card, it might be really good but I don't want to play it. One sided wheel of fortune sounds great, but the fear of casting this vs untapped red mana will be too much for me.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I'm also wondering if Hazoret's Undying Fury actually has enough payoff cards. It doesn't have to run risky cards like Reforge the Soul.

I think I'll be goldfishing with the deck again, which is nice since I haven't played legacy at all since before all the lockdowns. I will start with the last one I posted. I'm not sure if the Wheel is good enough for the deck. I could see another version using Guttersnipe. It's really a perfect card for a deck with Guttersnipe and Bolts.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I've been goldfishing Ruby Storm (no LED's) off and on for months. I have been playing Bolts main, Guttersnipe sideboard. I have maintained a single Hazoret's Undying Fury since the beginning, I don't think I would ever cut it. Reforge the Soul has been a singleton in the sideboard for about a year now, it's just too risky. In some matchups it can be a perfect grab with Burning Wish to close out games, but it's really not a good payoff card in the maindeck (for me.)

This new wheel will take Light up the Stage's spot in my list, which I am down to 2 or 3 (can't remember.) Even with Bolts maindeck LUTS is pretty weak compared to Act on Impulse. Jeska's Will (if it turns out to be real) will be a test card, and this new wheel effect (because it's one-sided.)
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I've been goldfishing Ruby Storm (no LED's) off and on for months. I have been playing Bolts main, Guttersnipe sideboard. I have maintained a single Hazoret's Undying Fury since the beginning, I don't think I would ever cut it. Reforge the Soul has been a singleton in the sideboard for about a year now, it's just too risky. In some matchups it can be a perfect grab with Burning Wish to close out games, but it's really not a good payoff card in the maindeck (for me.)

This new wheel will take Light up the Stage's spot in my list, which I am down to 2 or 3 (can't remember.) Even with Bolts maindeck LUTS is pretty weak compared to Act on Impulse. Jeska's Will (if it turns out to be real) will be a test card, and this new wheel effect (because it's one-sided.)
    it's not a completely one-sided effect (the wheel).

it does look like Jeska's Will is real. I was testing the 3R one with flashback a while ago, but again having access as a ramp spell or one of these exile until end of turn effects is just an ideal card for this deck.

it's kind of crazy that a turn 1 tomb ruby, turn 2 mountain Will can potentially generate +4 or 5* mana. *if the play land + cantrip

i can see an argument for a really risk build running will and the new wheel, alongside 4 maindeck grids.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Yeah, I saw Jeska's Will was real. I will probably nab a set of those along with a set of the Wheel. I think the real appeal to Will is that it could be mana or card draw, whichever you need at the time. Having such a flexible option is nutso good.
    Brainstorm Realist

The new wheel is so hard to evaluate. It must be pretty bad in multiples? Say you bet 6 life and win. Now you are down to 14, and your opp can easily outbid you on the next one. And how much do you bet on the first one vs delver? Worst case scenario is a tie.... unless we fill the deck with grapeshots bolts etc to take advantage of the damage... the card is impossible to goldfish with so it's very hard to evaluate.

Thread Information