Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

Oct 2015
    Seoul, KR

Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

So before I started testing this version, I had looked at the deck list and seen that the Lab Man was in the sb and was like ok that's cute, but didn't really assume it was the main win con. After testing the deck, it seems it is Plan A! During the testing, I also found that many times just drawing a Tendrils out of the deck would have been a cleaner/earlier kill and doesn't require as much set up as looping Children of Korlis, killing naturally after an attack step with Gris and a few rituals or petals cast. Is there any reason we can't fit a single Tendrils into the md?

Correct me if I'm missing something but it seems like the list I've been playing has these wins:

A: griselbrand -> draw a lot of cards, make a lot of mana, loop children of korlis, living wish for labman, draw last card in deck
    B: marit lage
    C: attack someone with griselbrand?

Quote Originally Posted by ashent View Post
    So before I started testing this version, I had looked at the deck list and seen that the Lab Man was in the sb and was like ok that's cute, but didn't really assume it was the main win con. After testing the deck, it seems it is Plan A! During the testing, I also found that many times just drawing a Tendrils out of the deck would have been a cleaner/earlier kill and doesn't require as much set up as looping Children of Korlis, killing naturally after an attack step with Gris and a few rituals or petals cast. Is there any reason we can't fit a single Tendrils into the md?

Correct me if I'm missing something but it seems like the list I've been playing has these wins:

A: griselbrand -> draw a lot of cards, make a lot of mana, loop children of korlis, living wish for labman, draw last card in deck
    B: marit lage
    C: attack someone with griselbrand?
    The problem with playing a card like Tendrils maindeck in TinFins decks is that it's a total brick unless you're going off, and if you're going off then you should have already won anyway.
    If you have 'an attack step with Gris and a few petals cast' are you really struggling to draw your whole deck? In these situations would you even be able to reliably find 1 copy of Tendrils?
    Any card you cut for it will be something that helps you to set up the combo (Mana or a combo piece or disruption) so you need a reason TO play it, rather than a reason that you can't play it

May 2018
    Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSouth View Post
    Anyone got information (deck list, etc) on the reanimator depths deck that made day two Worcester last weekend?
    Oh, hey - that would be me! Sorry I missed this post for a while. I piloted the deck to a 10-5 finish, going 3-2 vs. tournament boogeyman Grixis Delver. Other losses were to miracles, OmniTell, and Esper Mentor. Notable wins were Czech Pile, BUG Delver, Nic Fit, Elves, and Eldrazi. I spent a lot of time reading the forum in prep for the event so a BIG thank you to everyone on here for sharing! I based my deck mainly from ewlandon/Bob Huang lists and splashed Andrew Philip’s Leyline/Helm combo sideboard plan:

Creatures
    4 vampire hexmage
    2 grave Titan
    2 griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Ashen Rider

Artifacts
    4 lotus petal
    1 chrome mox

Spells
    4 dark ritual
    4 entomb
    4 exhume
    3 reanimate
    1 animate dead
    1 unburial rites
    4 thoughtseize
    3 collective brutality

Lands (21)
    4 depths
    4 stage
    3 Urborg
    1 shizo, death’s storehouse
    2 bloodstained mire
    1 delta
    1 verdant catacombs
    3 swamp
    1 scrubland
    1 lake of the dead

Side:
    1 duress
    1 lost legacy
    1 seal of cleansing
    3 Pithing needle
    1 surgical
    1 Magister of Worth
    3 Leyline of the void
    1 helm of obedience
    1 tidespout tyrant
    1 dread of night
    1 massacre

Following the event I acquired another surgical to add to the board and would consider swapping ashen rider for a third grave Titan, though having just two did feel consistently good. Pithing Needle is anazing and it’s worth considering a 4th. Magister of worth is serving in place of Elesh Norn but grabs bonus points versus an emrakul off of show and tell.

If you have questions or thoughts, let me know - I’m happy to discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by Th35warm View Post

Side:
    1 duress
    1 lost legacy
    1 seal of cleansing
    3 Pithing needle
    1 surgical
    1 Magister of Worth
    3 Leyline of the void
    1 helm of obedience
    1 tidespout tyrant
    1 dread of night
    1 massacre
    Hey there, it's been a while since I've last posted myself, but this SB got me thinking.

- How do you feel about dedicating four slots to the helm/leyline combo? I have not played that combination myself but I thought about either going all in with 4 helm/4 leyline or not considering it at all. Standing in the middle seems inconsistent. Have you felt differently playing with the deck?

- Ashen Rider won me a few games but the third Grave Titan won me a lot more. Some lists just cannot deal with them. Have not considered Magister of Worth, tho. Why swapping one for another?

- Based on my last experiences on my LGS I'm trying out something of a 'transformational' sideboard. I used to have a SB full of singletons and they hardly did me any good in matchs in which hate would hammer down on g2/g3. Now, when I know it's gonna come down to faerie macabre/surgical extraction/DRS I board in 4 Shallow Grave and 4 Silent Gravestone, boarding out 4 Reanimate and 4 misc. depending on the match. Since Exhume and Shallow Grave doesn't target it renders their faeries, surgicals and DRS useless, besides shutting down snapcaster and messing around with other decks randomly. I only have a few games to account for on that transformation, but so far I managed to get a few 'dude what the fuck' so that's a good thing.

I'll keep y'all posted.

All hail marit lage.

Hey y'all,

Not that there's any attention and development to this deck nowadays but he still holds a dear place in my heart and I'll continue to play it. My last idea, tho, was really shitty and I wouldn't take it any further.

Now it's back to the drawing board in dedicating SB slots for Death & Taxes, and an Elesh maindeck in lieu of a third Grave Titan thanks to the high influx of Goblins we're about to see.

I'm trying trying monoB variand with slightly enchanced Marit combo.
    Map also can get you a Lake, so you have more outs in grindy postSB games.

Lands (21)
    4 Dark Depths
    1 Lake of the Dead
    4 Swamp
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    Spells (28)
    2 Collective Brutality
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    2 Expedition Map
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize
    Creatures (11)
    1 Ashen Rider
    3 Grave Titan
    2 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    Sideboard (15)
    1 Bitterblossom
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Lake of the Dead
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    4 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Toxic Deluge

Hello everyone,

Coming back from the weekend with good results and really, really happy with my Sunday evening. 26 people event, first place! Here is my decklist.

4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian’s Stage
    2 Lake of the Dead
    8 Swamp
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    2 Grave Titan
    2 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Unmask
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Thoughtseize

SB:

3 Bitterblosom
    2 Duress
    2 Dread of Night
    1 Massacre
    1 Toxic Deluge
    4 Pithing Needle
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Grave Titan

Round 1: High Tide (2-0)

Game 1: He wins the roll, drops an Island and says go. I’ve got a good hand but I don’t know what I’m up against, and fearing a Spell Pierce I just play a Swamp and pass the turn. He drops another Island, taps for a Search for Azcanta and passes back, probably thinking I’m maybe running an aggro mono black. I draw for the turn and go full-on ‘boy lemme learn u smth’ bringing Marit Lage and discarding both his High Tide from his hand. He has the mana for a Cunning Wish on his turn, but not enough to bounce Marit Lage now that he’s stripped of High Tide, and it’s game.

Game 2: I open a godly hand with full combo and discard for protection, and I think to myself ‘well if I draw a Duress I can protect myself from both Spell Pierce and FoW on the same turn’, and having the Gods by my side, after he drops his Island and passes the turn I draw a Duress. I discard him into oblivion and drop a Griselbrand with Exhume, he topdecks an Echoing Truth and bounces Daddy, but I draw 14 in response and he scoops. ‘I thought maybe you’d forget to activate in response to the bounce!’, he said. Not today buddy.

Round 2: BG Depths (2-0)

Game 1: he wins the roll and opens with Thoughtseize, and tilts hard as he sees my hand – Depths, Hexmage, Entomb, Exhume, Petal, Ritual… - stating that he’d never played against the deck before. He discards my Hexmage, I Exhume it and create a big bad interdimensional tentacle monster which he cannot answer.

Game 2: He opens with Marit Lage turn 1, smiles and says ‘go!’. I topdeck a Depths, Entomb for Hexmage and create a Marit Lage too. ‘Oh man come on’. He just drops another Depths and passes the turn. I drop a Needle for Karakas and from that point on nothing happens for a few turns, for neither of us can swing and he has no other outs on his deck. I eventually get two Grave Titan into play, Iona for Green, Griselbrand and swing for a bazillion damage.

Round 3: Burn (2-0)

Game 1: He drops a basic Mountain and a Goblin Guide, swinging and giving me a Swamp in the process. I cast Collective Brutality discarding Iona and taking out his Goblin Guide, discarding a Bolt and, realizing he has a monored deck with no splash for other colors, I bring Iona for red and he scoops.

Game 2: He mulls to 4, giving me the time I need to find a Depths and swing for 20. A walk in the park here.

Round 4: White Eldrazi (2-1)

Game 1: He wins the roll, opening with Karakas and Mox Diamond to cast Chalice for 1, soon followed by Eldrazi Displacer and Thought-Knot Seer, which takes out my Grave Titan. I’m really really dead, really really quick.

Game 2: I manage to get a turn 1 Grave Titan, which quickly gets out of hand and overwhelms his army of alien spaghetti. He has Karakas and his Displacer keeps killing the zombie tokens, but a second Grave Titan makes it too much.

Game 3: He mulls to 4 and I once again thank the Ice Gods for my hand, which is fairly brutal. I keep it, praying to not get Chalice’d for 1 on the first turn, and he just drops a Karakas and passes the turn. I happily cast Petal, Ritual, Hexmage and Needle for Karakas, drop a Depths and pass the turn. He casts an Eldrazi Displacer out of Karakas and Eldrazi Temple but has no mana to blink my token, which I create at his end step and swing for 20.

Round 5: Death and Taxes (ID)

We both shake hands, split the (fairly good) prizes and go home.

I prepared my SB accordingly to my expectations of facing more Goblins and D&T, and I ended up not facing either (D&T match was ID). I will surely be playing this deck next chance I get and I’ll write reports here for the eventual reader. I’m very happy with yesterday’s results and I can’t wait to play again.

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanpants View Post
    I'm trying trying monoB variand with slightly enchanced Marit combo.
    Map also can get you a Lake, so you have more outs in grindy postSB games.

Lands (21)
    4 Dark Depths
    1 Lake of the Dead
    4 Swamp
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    This manabase seems greedy. Has it been working out for you? 4 fetches without splash + Lake seems too narrow at mid/late game.

Castellan, I'm glad to see someone still playing this deck. I've been trying to get it to work. Could you post your sideboarding against those five matchups, and maybe some more common ones (Delver, Miracles) if you have time?

Also, BG Depths can easily beat your Marit Lage with Sejiri Steppe.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

I'll play it forever, I'll only drop it if all key cards get hammered at once! I really love playing it and most people don't know how to play against it. Every now and then I get a free win because of it.

As for the sideboarding and other matchups: I've prepared my SB as best as I could foreseeing a huge explosion in D&T and Miracles. Whenever I play at different LGS my sideboard changes accordingly.

Round 1: High Tide

+2 Duress
    -2 Grave Titan

Creatures doesn't matter in this match, stripping his resources out does. Extra points for Collective Brutality here, for acting both as a discard outlet and a hoser on his plan. If I could run like 8 of those I would.

Round 2: BG Depths

+4 Pithing Needle
    +1 Tidespout Tyrant

-1 Elesh Norn
    -1 Collective Brutality
    -1 Lotus Petal
    -1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    -1 Griselbrand

In this matchup I just trim a few things. Tidespout to bounce his Marit Lage or his lands so he doesn't even get to create the token, Needle for various things.

Round 3: Burn

+2 Duress
    -2 Thoughtseize

Duress over seize for obvious reasons. This is another matchup in which 12 Collective Brutality would be greatly appreciated.

Round 4: White Eldrazi

+1 Toxic Deluge
    +4 Pithing Needle
    +1 Tidespout Tyrant
    +1 Grave Titan

-1 Elesh Norn
    -1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    -1 Griselbrand
    -1 Lotus Petal
    -1 Dark Ritual
    -1 Unmask
    -1 Collective Brutality

Needle is really important to stop his Karakas and Displacer, Tidespout can really shine if it lands and Grave Titan can be a pain to deal with. Saved my ass that day.

I'll write about the rest of the matchups soon, but I can say that the part of my SB that I dedicated to Miracles and D&T remained unused for the whole day.

The D&T package can be as big as this:

2 Dread of Night
    1 Massacre
    1 Toxic Deluge
    4 Pithing Needle
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Grave Titan

Dread of Night being key, and Deluge usually saving the day. Massacre is fantastic too.

Against Miracles, I planned on using this:

3 Bitterblosom
    2 Duress

Blossom is fantastic, and since this is a game in which life doesn't really matter, a T1 Blossom can be a pain to deal with.

What is your thought process on Unmask over Duress? Even though this deck seems fast, isn't it also able to grind a bit better? No having to exile seems cool.

Mar 2015
    Paris

Hi Castellan,

Thanks for posting, the deck might be good right now. Surprisingly, it's better than a lot of other combo decks.

I just 4-1'd with this mono black list of yours, beating Infect, Moon, Aluren, Grixis and loosing to 12-post. Sideboard was bad overall.

I missed Serenity a lot from my WB list to beat LotV + bridge or Chalice + Moon.

I'll take back my needles, drop Elesh Norn because it's worse than Wurm vs Goblins / D&T / Karakas decks.

4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian’s Stage
    2 Lake of the Dead
    8 Swamp
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    2 Grave Titan
    2 Griselbrand
    1 Massacre Wurm
    1 Ashen Rider
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Unmask
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Thoughtseize

SB:

1 Bitterblosom
    2 Duress
    2 Dread of Night
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Lost Legacy
    1 Marsh Casualties

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    What is your thought process on Unmask over Duress? Even though this deck seems fast, isn't it also able to grind a bit better? No having to exile seems cool.
    Hello,

You can Unmask yourself to get creatures out of your hand to the graveyard and reanimate them. Duress comes in against decks with a heavy package of instants and sorceries, such as Storm or Miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrab77 View Post
    SB:

1 Bitterblosom
    2 Duress
    2 Dread of Night
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Lost Legacy
    1 Marsh Casualties
    Hey,

Glad to know you did allright! Massacre Wurm can be really good against certain decks and I've been trying to get my hands in one to try it out. LGS is way too pricey.

I just don't get the single Lost Legacy in your SB - I used to run two, actually, but they turned out to be quite useless. Which matches are you thinking about when you SB them in?

Mar 2015
    Paris

Quote Originally Posted by castellan View Post
    Hey,

Glad to know you did allright! Massacre Wurm can be really good against certain decks and I've been trying to get my hands in one to try it out. LGS is way too pricey.

I just don't get the single Lost Legacy in your SB - I used to run two, actually, but they turned out to be quite useless. Which matches are you thinking about when you SB them in?
    I board in Legacy vs combo, naming S&T, Tendrils, Aluren...

I will change the SB anyway with the more useful Needles.

Hey everyone,

I had the pleasure of spending my whole Sunday doing silly things with 20/20 tentacle gods and monsters reanimated from the grave, and came here to share the experience with you all. Went home with a meh result of 4-2 – really really close to top 8, but not close enough. Let’s roll.

8 Swamp
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian’s Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb Of Yawgmoth
    2 Lake of the Dead

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Entomb
    2 Unmask
    2 Collective Brutality

4 Vampire Hexmage
    2 Grave Titan
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    2 Griselbrand

SB
    2 Dread of Night
    2 Massacre
    2 Duress
    4 Pithing Needle
    2 Grave Titan
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Tidespout Tyrant

Round 1 – Dredge (0-2)

Game 1: I think my operating system was still booting up because there was no reason on earth to commit the mistakes I’ve made. Unspeakable things left my opponent dazed and confused, thinking I had some sort of masterplan or secret tech up my sleeve, but hell no – all I had was disappointment. Seriously just take my word for it, he played against a traffic cone and won.

Game 2: Thinking I am prepared this time, I Thoughtseize him taking out a Cabal Therapy – he says ‘you know this is good for me right?’, and I realize my windows screen turned blue and compiled several execution errors. He wins again, because his opponent basically didn’t show up.

Round 2 – UR Delver (2-1)

Game 1: As soon as he opens with a Volcanic Island and Grim Lavamancer I knew what I was facing and was hoping I did not have the misfortune of bumping into that one maindeck Vapor Snag. My Collective Brutality single-handedly manages to take away his Lavamancer, strip away his FoW (he had no other blue cards in his hand), drain 2 life and place two creatures in my graveyard (Elesh Norn and Griselbrand). I seriously underestimated this card and I’m thinking about bumping the count to 3 or even 4. It’s just too brutal in some matchups. I reanimate Griseldaddy and the match is over soon after.

Game 2: I open with an insane hand with both combos – Griselbrand and Marit Lage – and go all in. ‘There’s no way he’ll win this game’, I think. ‘There’s no way my luck is that bad’, I think. But yeah, I got Flusterstormed and Vapor Snagged, and faced a flipped Delver with empty hands. Dead as fuck in three turns.
    Game 3: We’re not playing combo decks to not have stupid, free wins right? Now the perfect hand not only has a combo ready to go but has two discards. Bait his counters, strip away the bounce, and a 20/20 intergalactic spaghetti monster kills him in one swing.

Round 3 – Elves (2-0)

Game 1: I have a 20/20 that flies, he has two awe-struck vegan creatures of the woods that watch in terror as this thing kills their master.

Game 2: he opens with random green vegan and I lay down a Collective Brutality killing him and leaving a creature in my graveyard. Later on I get Marit Lage and I’m sure it’s over, but he lays down an ooze and I forget about those two dudes in the graveyard – I swing for 20 and the ooze eats the creatures, leaving him at 2 life. Luckily, I had the second brutality in hand, and I proceed to kill him with it.

Round 4 – Goblins (2-1)

Game 1: For unknown reasons to me I’m on the play and I open with a Elesh Norn instead of a Griselbrand, thinking that he could never get back on his feet. He proved me wrong when goblin after goblin landed and protected each other with +1/+1 bonuses. He eventually kills me with a mob of angry red little bastards.

Game 2: Marit Lage for the win, no Stingscourger to bounce it.

Game 3: A turn one Griselbrand brings a turn 2 Grave Titan and nothing else happens after that.

Round 5 – Bant Blade (2-1)

Game 1: This was, by far, the most amazing game of the entire event. He suspends an Ancestral Vision turn 1 and proceeds to Plow my Marit Lage, suspends another Ancestral and Plows another Lage, cascades into two other ancestral visions and lands down three Nobles, which with exalted bonus pumps his Batterskull so he swings with a billion. I’m at 50-something life and I have only a single Entomb in hand, which I cast when he taps out for True-Name Nemesis. It resolves and places a Griselbrand in my graveyard. On my turn I draw an Exhume. It’s my only card, and my opponent drew a total of extra 12 cards so far and has a full hand of seven cards. I tap my lands and cast Exhume with the full extent of the knowledge that I’d be countered into oblivion, but somehow, for reasons unbeknownst to mankind, it resolves. I get back a Griselbrand into play and draw a total of 28 cards, and manage to put Marit Lage, Grave Titan and Elesh Norn into play, swiping away his board and sealing the game. What a crazy, crazy turn of events.

Game 2: Have you ever had to deal with a True-Name Nemesis pounding your soul with both Jitte and Batterskull attached? Ain’t a pretty sight is it?

Game 3: I cast an early Grave Titan and when I swing he drops a Batterskull instant speed to kill it with two blockers, killing my Titan too. I’m ok with it, because I Reanimate it back and now I have an untapped Titan with a bonus two zombie bodies, which quickly get out of control and swing for lethal.

Round 6 – Omni Show (1-2)

Game 1: The game was a featured match on Twich and it activated the windows-blue-screen mode in my brain, so of course my anxiety brought my shitty lines of play to the eyes of all of those watching the game. I open with a very strong hand with only a single black mana missing for me to combo out ( 8 swamps, 4 petals, 4 urborg and even 2 lakes – so a lot of sources), but that black mana never showed up and he drops Omniscience followed by Emrakul followed by a boot in my ass.

Game 2: Fully tilted out, I open with Swamp, Petal and two Rituals because I feared a spell pierce (reminder: he had no lands in play. Yeah). I use only two for Entomb and Reanimate, and a Iona for Blue plus a Needle on Sneak Attack seals the game.

Game 3: My opening hand is once again fully assembled except for one black mana. ‘There is no way my luck is that bad’, I think a second time. However free stupid wins are always walking side-by-side with auto stupid losses and I never find the single black mana, getting once again an Omniscience really, really up there Morty.

Extra games:

After losing my spot on the top 8 with the full attention of the stream and players from the store, I sat down to play a few random matches with other people who were also previously disqualified. Here’s how it went.

Aluren (6-0)

We played three games without SB and another three after boarding. Either all my hands were crazy stupid or this match is too slow for Aluren, which unless I’m mistaken only runs counters in the form of FoW. On all six games I either discarded the counter and proceeded to combo out or I vomited things straight into play with little to no resistance.

Death & Taxes (4-1)

Two games with no sideboard and two after boarding. Collective Brutality alone stole games 1 and 2, acting both as discard outlet and Thalia-Killing machine, and after getting my Griselbrand plowed at 22 life (thanks to Exhume and Brutality) I draw the whole deck and assemble an army that he can’t deal with. After boarding, I won one game thanks to double Dread of Night and double Massacre, and lost the other to a quick lock.

Overall, I’m happy with the deck and the results I’ve been getting – I commited a lot of mistakes and there’s plenty of room for personal improvement. Regarding the deck, though, I’m pondering the following:

- The best way around Swords to Plowshares decks in general (miracles, blades, D&T, etc) is brute force. Trying to reanimate that special creature with shroud or whatever the hell never worked in my experience, and nowadays just saying ‘well fuck this’ and vomiting all that you possibly can on the table should overwhelm their resources.

- The amount of graveyard hate after DRS ban is too damn high! I’m considering a sideboard in which I can transform the deck in such a way that I don’t need the Reanimate package on games 2 and 3. Something along these lines:

Out: 4 Exhume, 4 Entomb, 4 Reanimate, 1 Iona, 1 Elesh Norn
    In: 4 Grim Monolith, 2 Grave Titan, 4 Pithing Needle (protection for Marit Lage if necessary), 2 Griselbrand, 2 Massacre Wurm

There is a large tournament two weeks from now and I’m going to try it then. I’ll let you know how it went.

Mar 2015
    Paris

Great report Castellan, always fun to read as well!

I’ll grab the deck for the MKM Series in Paris early September.

Still looking for some adjustments:
    - discard outlet: I’m on cabal therapy/ unmask / CoB 3/3/2 but I’d like sometimes the 4th Unmask. I find Cabal Therapy a good option (naming FoW when comboing G1) with Grave Titan’s zombies and an Ashen Rider main
    - MD creatures: 2 Titans, 1-2 G-Daddy, Ashen Rider, Elesh Norn. But this could be a bit low if you wanna discard regularly on the draw or with T1 brutality

SB:
    - combo: 2 discard
    - fair with GY hate: 1 Titan, 1 Wurm, pack rat outlet?
    - 4 Needle
    - Moon, Bridge, Token etc: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    - Grixis Control, Miracles, D&T: Liliana the last hope

I’ll be testing and keeping you posted.

Hey Ultrab77, thank you for your feedback. I'm always glad to know that someone still reads what shenanigans I've been up to with my favorite deck of all time.

And by the way, I'm here to write another report of an amazing night: 4-0 in an event with 41 players, which earned me a spot straight into the league finals in february! The league, called CLM, is a year-wide giant tournament that pools together resources from a good number of LGS and rewards the 8 players with the greatest amount of points by the end of the season in a final tournament, in which the winner gets a fantastic prize and recognition. This event on monday particularly offered a spot straight into said finals, and that is what I came back home with. I'm very very happy with the results, the pictures wouldn't let me lie. I don't know if it's against the rules or something to post it.

Anyway, let's roll. Here's the decklist:

8 Swamp
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian’s Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb Of Yawgmoth
    2 Lake of the Dead

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Entomb
    2 Unmask
    2 Collective Brutality

4 Vampire Hexmage
    3 Grave Titan
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    2 Griselbrand

SB

4 Pithing Needle
    4 Grim Monolith
    2 Griselbrand
    1 Grave Titan
    2 Ashen Rider
    2 Duress

Round 1: Grixis Control (2-1)

Game 1: I win the roll and open with a good sign of the universe - I unmask myself, Griselbrand into the graveyard, and Exhume it back. As I draw fourteen cards and drop a petal and rituals for Grave Titan he scoops.

Game 2: I'm trying to avoid at all costs graveyard strategies on G2 and G3, however my first seven cards consisted of discard and turn 1 Grave Titan. He seizes my Titan and hit it with a Surgical Extraction, I get FoW'd for entomb and when I summon Marit Lage he kills it with edict following up with Jace on his turn. This time the good guys won.

Game 3: I mull to five and still end up with Grave Titan on turn one into play. Take stupid risks, win stupid prizes - he shakes my and and that's it.

Comments: I might be wrong but this seems to be an even easier version to beat of the recently deceased 4-c Leovold. If you resolve a Grave Titan you're good, it's even better than Griselbrand if you have no other creatures into play to dodge those pesky edicts.

Round 2: Jund (2-1)

Game 1: Lost the roll and he drops a basic swamp and passes. There's this warm feeling inside me that tells me that life is good and worth living when you can vomit combos left and right without being afraid of counters and surgicals. I draw a Ritual, Seize myself, Grave Titan in the graveyard, Reanimate it back and he concedes.

Game 2: I mull to four, not looking for a crazy start but looking for ANY start - and the house comes burning down when I got kicked in the balls with a turn 1 Thoughtseize, turn 2 Inquisition, turn 3 Liliana and turn 4 maggots eating my eyes as my dead body rots away on the floor.

Game 3: After getting repeatedly stabbed in the balls I draw what I hope to be an amazing hand ready to combo his ass back to the jungle. I end up with five Swamps and two Urborg. Come on. I mull to five and find a hand with petals, Rituals and a single Grave Titan. He mulls to four and opens with a Leyline of the Void, I shrug and vomit a Titan and two little zombie thugs into play ready to fuck him up. He casts a Grim Flayer or whatever the hell little mid-range, oompa-loompa looking motherfucker it was and I swing back with a billion leaving another two brand-new thugs to chump block his hipster creature. He's soon beaten to death and we live on to the next round.

Comments: bad mid-range deck against combo. It's like the Grixis match but without FoW. Again, if you drop a Grave Titan, tears will stream down their faces.

Round 3: Big Eldrazi (2-1)

Game 1: You know, sometimes I question my choices and wonder if I could be playing any other deck. However, drawing 1/3 of your deck and having a Marit Lage and Griselbrand in play before they had the chance to play a land wipes those profane thoughts of my mind. Stupidity will live on, and so will Marit Lage.

Game 2: an early chalice locks my 1-drops out of the game forever, but Grim Monolith hardcasts two Grave Titans. He also has an army of lil' spaghettis tho, and being a fan of Monoliths himself, and having access to double-mana lands plus Vesuva lets him hardcast a goddamn Ulamog, exiling my Titans and kicking me in the face until I'm so very very dead.

Game 3: he mulls into nothingness to open with a Leyline of the Void, I shrug it away and cast a Grave Titan turn 2 anyway thanks to Ritual and Monolith. It gets out of control quickly and Zombie boy and his band seal the game.

Comments: this is a goddamn unholy matchup from hell which is not easy to win. Any decks that can Chalice or Trinisphere on turn 1 should steal games away from me quickly. Thank fuck I never even seen a Trinisphere on those three games.

Round 4: Grixis (2-0)

Game 1: I win the roll and find no opposition into creating Marit Lage turn 1. He draw for the turn and scoops.

Game 2: I pray he makes a bad decision and so he does - mulls into five to open with a Leyline. I bet you can guess what happened next right? Ritual, Titan, brutality taking away his Tourach and killing a Strix, and with my hands sweating (knees weak, arms spaghetti) I raise my fists into the air screaming as he concedes.

Comments: Please God, let Grixis be a very popular deck for as long as I shall live. The empty look of nothingness in their eyes when you cast a Titan is priceless.

Next Steps:

On saturday there's another huge Legacy event which I will attend. I'm thinking about some changes:

- I will cut Iona away completely in favour of the 4th Grave Titan maindeck;
    - Maybe the sideboard should look like this:

4 Pithing Needle
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Duress
    2 Ashen Rider
    1 Collective Brutality

Needle protects Marit Lage, Grim Monolith hardcasts Grave Titan when graveyard hate comes down, Duress and Brutality kills hoot-hooting deathtouch birds and Ashen Rider steals the Show And Tell away from them. K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, stupid. The amount of Death and Taxes does not justify too many SB slots, maybe 2 Duress / 2 Massacre.

I'm open to suggestions and critique as always. Congratulations if you've made it this far into the reading.

All Hail Marit Lage. Wish me luck on saturday!

Mar 2015
    Paris

Hey, I hope you did well yesterday Castellan.

I went 4-0 in the trials for the main event of today, winning 2 byes.

The deck ran super hot I will write a small report.

Let’s hop I won’t suck today!

EDIT: my extensive report just disappeared of my screen... 1h lost. I'll write it again tomorrow evening.
    Last edited by Ultrab77; 09-11-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Mar 2015
    Paris

Hey all.

First, English is not my mother language, so it will be sometimes painful to read. Sorry for that.

I went 8-3 over the weekend, 4-0 at the trial and then 4-3 at the 200-man main event.

Overall it’s OK, but I was pretty disappointed by my X-1 and X-2 games.

So small report:

Saturday Trial (~40 people)

Round 1: Cyril with infect (1-0)
    G1: I keep a T3 ML on the draw, he T3 kills me on the play
    G2: I get a T2 ML, he crop rotates and I think I loose, but he grabs a Nexus and HE dies
    G3: I get Marit Lage, Titan and he just swords something before dying. He again crop rotates into Nexus to save 1 turn.

I asked the guy after the match why he didn’t get Karakas, he said he prefers playing to win than defending to lose. Well.

Round 2: Vladimir with midrange Depths (2-0)

I know the guy and what he’s on because he top 8’d a large event last winter and won the Eternal Weekend Europe in May.
    G1: I therapy and target crop rotation, I see Tarmo, Decay, Lili… and think he’s changed his deck. I drop some Titans and he dies.
    G2: he drops Urborg and duresses me, taking Unmask and leaving Therapy, Entomb, Titan and some stuff. I therapy naming Hexmage, hit and leave him with just lands. Some time later he draws a vampire and gets his Marit Lage. I reanimate his Vampire and get mine. He can’t find any crop rotation or Steppe and I draw a 2nd reanimation spell for Ashen Rider and the win.

Round 3: Mathieu on Moon Stompy (3-0)

G1: I get mooned and rabblemastered to death
    G2: T1 ritual + vampire + entomb Ashen Rider, T2 Marit Lage, T3 exhume Ashen Rider for his bridge and win
    G3: he has T1 chalice and T2 magus and T3 rabblemaster, I have T3 vampire to remove the counters T4 Titan, T5 Wurm to kill everything and trigger my Depths. Adios Amigos.

Round 4: Denis on Steel Stompy (4-0)

G1: he chalices T1, I Marit Lage T2 which is better
    G2: of course, he didn’t board in the Leylines, so he faces a T1 Griselbrand and a T2 Ashen Rider for his bridge. He looks sick and concedes

Then the main event, long story short let’s start where things go wild for me.

Boris on BR Reanimator (lose for 3-1)

G1: I see a bloodstained mire, for some unknown reason I think I have to entomb on my turn. He smiles and reanimates my Titan.
    G2: I’m a bit tilted, mull to 5 to find a fast hand but stop with Iona, Unmask, Ritual, Urborg and Titan looking to draw a reanimation spell. He mulls to 4. I should have unmasked him but I let him petal/ritual/seize Iona/reanimate.

Guillaume on Miracles (lose for 3-2)

G1: I drop a Marit Lage T2, he brainstorms and ponders and everything but has no answer.
    G2: I get miracle’d and die to Tefeiri on round 324
    G3: that’s because of this game that I’m so disappointed. I keep a reanimator hand and seize T1. I see surgical, BS, counterspell, swords, 2 islands, fetch. I take the surgical, he lands an island. I entomb Griselbrand, Reanimate, he brainstorms and find his 2nd surgical… I lose soon after to 3 snapcasters surgicaling all my creatures.
    Had he not found the surgical, I was 4-1 and at the top tables. But that’s life, I had luck the day before as well.

Claudio on White Eldrazi (lose for 3-3)

G1: I see a white basic, I therapy for STP but look at Karakas, maindeck Containment Priest, 2 Displacers and Jailer. Of course, I kept a reanimation hand.
    G2: he keeps a hand with STP, Priest, rest in peace, TKS but I get a Marit Lage
    G3: I have a Plan C-hand with swamp x 2, dark ritual x2, Titan. This time it’s a Thorn of Amethyst T1, same T2 and Thalia T3 with a Karakas. Thalia kills me.

Than, only the last game of last match was interesting vs OmniShow before I dropped to go home earlier.

G1: T1 on the play, I play Therapy hitting Brainstorm and seeing 2 Griselbrands. I play a 2nd therapy and wait for my reanimation spell. He never shows up, Emrakul does.
    G2: Fast Marit Lage
    G3: I play a therapy, not hitting. He surgical therapy and sees in my hand: entomb, animate dead and some other stuff. He has a confident look and plays show and tell. I entomb in response and show Animate Dead, target Ashen Rider, trigger. He looks sick.

This last one was very good, I knew it worked but never had the chance to do it. I don’t know if the play is obvious for an experienced S&T player.

Overall, I’m happy with the week-end and the main deck. The sideboard could be improved.

Potential changes:

Maindeck: 4 therapies, 3 brutalities, no unmask
    Sideboard: go for the full hardcast plan (but could be weak to Bridge) with Grim Monoliths / pack rats or something

I’d like to get your feedback Castellan on this.

Sorry again for the laborious writing.

Thread Information