Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

May 2016
    Austin, TX

Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

Thanks so much for the detailed SB guide and explanations, Jblinder! I'm going to try your build out this weekend at my LGS and will let you know how it goes. One quick question, though: in what matchups do you bring the Swords to Plowshares in?

Quote Originally Posted by gngpostalsrvc View Post
    Thanks so much for the detailed SB guide and explanations, Jblinder! I'm going to try your build out this weekend at my LGS and will let you know how it goes. One quick question, though: in what matchups do you bring the Swords to Plowshares in?
    Sorry, forgot that is gone from my current board. Just make it a second Fatal Push or 3rd Surgical. There are corner cases where Swords is better than Fatal Push (I'd bring it in vs Reanimator and Eldrazi, for instance, where Push is useless) but being white decreases consistency. Push (and Swords) is/was mainly there for Thalia/Containment Priest. Push can come in vs stuff like burn and UR Delver as well.

Reani Depths SB Guide

I've never done one of these but a few people have asked me to do it so I'm going to give it a shot.

This is based off my most current list which you can find here (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/707091#paper)

Delver Decks:

First thing I ask myself is do they have 4x drs and 4x wasteland. Most delver decks do so lets assume they do and it's grixis delver.

Play/Draw same

+4 pithing needle
    +2 duress
    -3 exhume
    -1 reanimate
    -1 chrome mox
    -1 lotus petal

If you think they are running cage you can bring in seal but the idea is to not need to reanimate to win. In side boarded games you want to play a slower game so you dont get blown out by 1 counterspell or surgical. Usually you want to have some discard and a needle before going for a combo and finishing off the game with a titan if they stop the combos. Obviously if you have the turn 1 and no discard you go for it but those are the games you are going to lose more often than not. If you think you want to play a very grindy game you can also bring in massacre.

4c Control (leo control)

+2 duress
    +4 pithing needle
    -1 chrome mox
    -3 lotus petal
    -2 exhume

This match up should be pretty easy but post board you want to play around edicts and counters mainly. The needles go a long way as they don't play wasteland so you can name liliana/jace after deathrite shaman. They have a very hard time with merit lage. Edict is there only good answer so you want to try to play around that by getting a titan first or having lage combo with hexmage still in play. It's usually pretty obvious if they have the edict or not.

Storm

+2 duress
    +2 lost legacy
    +2 surgical extraction
    +1 coffin purge
    -3 grave titan
    -1 lake of the dead
    -2 hexmage
    -1 dark depths

Lost legacy is the best way to beat storm game 2. Coffin purge is a great way to stop graveyard wins through discard. Iona is good but they usually have bounce so it isn't game over game 2. I usually go for griselbrand to try and draw into lost legacy or ritual a lost legacy early from my hand or just discard them to oblivion. Fast depths isnt a good way to win. Similarly, you want to watch out for fragile combo hands on the draw since they will usually start with a duress. Heavy discard hands are the best way to win vs ant. Vs ant you name tendrils with lost legacy, vs tes you name burning wish. Ant will usually bring in empty after losing to lost legacy so keep that in mind for game 3.

DNT

This match up so so difficult.

+4 needle
    +1 massacre
    +1 seal of cleansing
    +1 tidespout tirant
    +2 duress
    +1 dread of night
    -3 petal
    -1 mox
    -4 exhume
    -1 depths
    -1 iona

Basically you have to get lucky. There are three ways to win. Discard/dodge swords and have a fast titan. Discard/dodge swords and dodge karakas and have a turn 2 merit lage on the play. Needle karakas and wasteland and dodge/discard swords and combo with lage or gris. Discard their mother of runes, reanimate it, needle karakas and use mom to protect the combo. Good luck!

Reanimate Mirror

+2 surgical
    +1 corpse purge
    +1 tidespout
    +2 duress
    -4 exhume
    -1 chrome mox
    -1 lotus petal

This is pretty straight forward. Stop them from comboing using corpse purge, surgical and discard. Don't let them reanimate your stuff, try to reanimate their stuff. Coffin purge in hand is often better than surgical.

Lands/Turbo Depths

+4 needle
    +2 surgical
    +2 duress
    +1 tidespout
    -4 hexmage
    -3 dark depths
    -1 chrome mox

Vs lands you want to combo fast and needle their combo/karakas. Watch out for crop rotation bajuka bog, combo, karakas and maze. Often times titan is the best.

Vs Depths use the needle to stop their combo, you can copy their karakas (this is ok but not as good vs lands as well) or simply copy their depths and hope they dont draw crop rotation or a protection spell. Tidespout is very good.

Show and tell

+2 duress
    +1 tidespout
    +2 needle
    +1 seal of cleansing

-1 exhume
    -1 chrome mox
    -1 hexmage
    -1 depths
    -1 petal
    -1 titan

Here I just trim. You want to have a good creature to put in on show and tell, or a fast combo with iona on blue. Needle is for sneak attack. Seal of cleansing is for sneak attack or omniscience. Discard the tougher combo parts for you to beat such as emrakul or sneak attack. Putting in gris off a fast show and tell is best because you get to draw 14 and usually your 14 is better than their emrakul or the cards they draw off gris. Putting in iona is ok hoping they have omni (losing to a gris or emrakul) tidespout is good hoping they have emrakul or omni (if you have an instant).

Let me know if you think I missed anything important. This is based on what I face the most online.

Thanks Ewlandon - that was a really solid SB guide and some good insight based off the list that's starting to take form and do well based off of Bob's CFB video. I'm probably going to start trying this list out (I've been on BR Reanimator for awhile now)

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I think a few Not of this World could overperform in this deck, protecting Lage, Griselbrand, and sideboard targets (Iona).
    As someone who loves Not of this World I would agree without you if not for the fact that Irona and Griselbrand don't need protection (one is protection, the other refills your hand with redundency).

Then again, I never followed through on playing it in this deck, so I'm happy to be wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalltj View Post
    Thanks Ewlandon - that was a really solid SB guide and some good insight based off the list that's starting to take form and do well based off of Bob's CFB video. I'm probably going to start trying this list out (I've been on BR Reanimator for awhile now)

You're welcome. One thing I cannot emphasize enough is this deck is not BR or depths. It isn't linear like those decks where you must get A+B and protect it to win. It plays out much more grindy (post board). I play BR to and they just play very differently. When I play reani depths I am looking for a turn 1-3 kill game one or mull down to as low as 4. Game 2 I am not looking for a fast kill at all, in fact I do not want a turn 1 ritual reanimation hand unless i have discard too. I am looking for hand disruption/needle and two different halves to the combo so I can have something like 16-20 good draws. I think a lot of people will struggle with this deck at first if they try to play it like BR (not saying that is what your post was saying but just it reminded me to take note of that).

So I just picked up this deck (and legacy in general) and I really am enjoying it, though sometimes it is super tough to figure out the sideboard. Like I know if they are playing anything that has a triggered ability that screws with us, I should put in pitting needle, but it is super hard to figure out what to take out when you are playing something that isnt super common. (Though the sideboard list from up top is really helpful)

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

Hello,

New to this deck. Have enjoyed turbo depths for about a year now but want to try something different. This seems like a natural sidestep. So far I've seen discussion on the regular WB Reanimator-depths version & a Fins-depths version (which looks sweet) but haven't seen much discussion on the beseech the queen version that got the deck tech on SCG a few weeks ago. Any word on this version? I've gotten in a few matches with this version and find beseech the queen to be a pretty good tutor that fits well within the deck. Never cared for the leyline/helm combo in the side though. I look forward to trying the other two styles in the near future though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ewlandon View Post
    Reani Depths SB Guide

I've never done one of these but a few people have asked me to do it so I'm going to give it a shot.

Hey dude I saw you 5-0d with some changes, what do you side in the Stormtide against?

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsNilla View Post
    Hey dude I saw you 5-0d with some changes, what do you side in the Stormtide against?

Honestly they never really made a difference, I like having different fatties to diversify vs surgical but I'm pretty much always winning with gris/titan/lage.

Honestly they never really made a difference, I like having different fatties to diversify vs surgical but I'm pretty much always winning with gris/titan/lage.
    Ahh cool, also how do you like the 4th brutality and beseech the queen? Ive learned that sometimes draws are just super clunky so BTQ seems solid, and a brutality I assume can come in vs delver since DRS and delver are a ball ache.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsNilla View Post
    Ahh cool, also how do you like the 4th brutality and beseech the queen? Ive learned that sometimes draws are just super clunky so BTQ seems solid, and a brutality I assume can come in vs delver since DRS and delver are a ball ache.
    I really like the 4th brutality, kinda wish I could find room for it main, may consider it over beseech. I originally tried 2 and 3 beseech but found that it was too slow, in match ups where it would resolve I was just losing because it was turn 5 before I could do anything, vs control if it mattered they would counter it or the thing you get. I'm not ready to cut it yet because it is a powerful spell.

Reani Depths SB Guide

Let me know if you think I missed anything important. This is based on what I face the most online.
    @Ewlandon , Can you also let us know what you are siding in & out for following matches:
    1) Aluren
    2) Eldrazi
    3) Infect
    4) Elves
    5) Dragon Stompy

Hey everyone!

I've been trying out a version of the decklist and so far had reasonable success. I'll post it soon.

Do you guys enjoy tournament reports?

Quote Originally Posted by castellan View Post
    Hey everyone!

I've been trying out a version of the decklist and so far had reasonable success. I'll post it soon.

Do you guys enjoy tournament reports?
    yes, it would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Ice Station Zebra vs. Czech Pile:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5-64atIQMI

Allright then, my decklist is as follows:

Reanimator Depths

4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    8 Snow-Covered Swamp
    2 Lake of the Dead

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Vampire Hexmage
    2 Griselbrand
    3 Grave Titan
    1 Iona, Shield Of Emeria

4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    4 Unmask
    4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize

SB:

1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Coffin Purge
    2 Dread of Night
    1 Massacre
    2 Lost Legacy
    4 Pithing Needle

The reason I went full-monoblack is simple: I cannot afford fetches/duals for splash.

'But scrubland is the cheapest-' yup it is but I can't afford it. :/

I've been playing it for a while now and had reasonable success with it. For the life of me I won't recall in details all the matches I had last week so I'll refrain from giving a shitty TR. I'll post it as soon as I have a fresh one tho ;)

Wouldn't crop rotation be a good addition to the deck?
    Evidently it would help the Stage-Depths plan.
    But also, cropping for a Lake to hardcast Titans seems to fit the Reanimator/hardcast plan too.

Hey everyone! Here to report last night's tournament. My decklist is two posts above.

Round 1: Burn (2-1)

Game 1: He drops a mountain and bolts me, on my turn I drop a Marit Lage. He says 'let's see if I'm going to topdeck salvation', draws a card, goes 'meh', game 2. I wonder what 'salvation' was.

Game 2: He opens with a Leyline in play and now I have no graveyard, so either Lage or hardcast something is the way to go. He does mull to 4 to find it tho, so he's really out of gas. I kept a good hand that relied on my graveyard, so I draw a bunch of dead stuff as he bolts me turn after turn. I finally draw a Depths and with a big smile I drop a Lage. He says 'let's see if I'm topdecking salvation now', draws a card, and drops a Maze of Ith. Well fuck. By next turn he has a Sulfuric Vortex which brings me down to zero.

Game 3: I'm on the play. I say the magic words 'Iona. Red.'. There's no game after that.

Round 2: Stoneblade (1-2)

I don't know if this is a bad matchup for our deck or if I just suck at this, but I've never even won a game against Stoneblade. The only time in the past I managed to land an Inkwell Leviathan my opponent topdecks a Council's Judgement. In my opinion, every single one of those in the world should be set on fire.

Game 1: I don't know what he's playing but my opening hand has two halves of different combos and discard, so I keep and have something like 16 good draws - either Exhume, Reanimate, Thespian's Stage or Hexmage would set me off. I Thoughtseize him and take out a Jace. After that, statistics takes over and I just watch as he drops a SFM, Batterskull, Fire/Ice and I keep drawing Swamps, Rituals, Petals...by the time I was dead I was manually at 6 Ice counters on Depths.

Game 2: I open with the strongest hand possible, combo and discard. I Unmask him, see no counters, take out a Council's Judgement, and put an Inkwell Leviathan in play. Now it's time for redemption. He literally does nothing and waits three turns until he dies. He did, however, used his resources to keep me from seeing his hand. He wanted further information on my deck and kept hidden his sideboard choices.

Game 3: He mulls to 5 and opens with a Ponder, I do however mull to 4 and still don't find shit. I draw a Depths followed by a Stage, but even with Lage in play I don't think I can do anything since he's already at 28 thanks to Batterskull. He drops a Nemesis, which gets equipped with Skull and Fire/Ice, swings for two billion and there's nothing I can do. Not beating Stoneblade...not this time.

Round 3: BRg Homebrew (2-0)

Game 1: I never knew what he played because I won the dice roll and opened with Depths, Petal, Ritual, Hexmage, Marit Lage. He looks at Lage, says 'well, game 2'.

Game 2: He boards HARD, opening with Leyline and Cage. I Thoughtseize him and see only lands and a Blood Moon, which gets discarded. I play a Hexmage and after that the game stalls since he flooded as hard as a man can flood, and I see no way to hardcast the Titans in my hand. I ping him for 2 until he is dead.

Round 4: UBr Something (1-2)

Game 1: He wins the roll and Thoughtseize me. He finds and discards an Entomb. I draw a Stage and put it into play, he looks at it and goes 'dude wat'. I know that Depths Reanimator is a new deck, but in my local meta most people don't even know what's happening. After that I never found a black source and statistic gets me again, and I'm slowly beaten to death with Snapcasters.

Game 2: I open with the best hand a man can hope for and land a Griselbrand, which he never recovers from. He hided his SB choices just like my opponent before him, doing nothing and even Vendillioning himself to hide a card when I Unmasked him.

Game 3: We both mull to 5 and he opens with Underground Sea and Ponder, I open with a combo that gets FoW'd. A turn later we're both in topdeck mode, and he draws only cantrips and lands, giving me time to draw into a Stage + Depths, which makes me very happy. His graveyard is any Snapcaster's paradise and it does shit against a two-land combo. In my excitement, I combo out and bring a Lage into play, only to try to Unmask him AFTER I casted the lage. He responds with a bounce card in my token and then I'm out of resources and eventually gets beaten to death. This idiotic mistake costed me the game (OBVIOUSLY should have Unmasked him before comboin' out) and made me very angry - I mean, statistics and variance are a part of the game you can't get rid of, but when my excitement clouds my judgement with stupidity I get really, really mad at myself. Well, lesson learnt the hard way. This game loss prevented me from cashing out at the event and made me even angrier.

Overall comments:

At least in my current meta, this deck performs really well and my only bad matchup I personally had so far was Stoneblade (again, I might suck playing against it). There's this dude playing D&T at the store but I never played against him.
    Before the event started, I played an ANT Storm guy with a very fancy, foil deck, and it was the easiest match of the night. We played eight games, with and without SB, and I won eight times in a row. I don't know if he sucks against a deck he never played before but it seems that ANT is the sweetest matchup of the century. I prayed to God that I'd face him in the tournament, but I guess his prayers were stronger since we weren't paired up together.

Next wednesday there's another event and the following day I'll write again.

After watching some videos on the two 'Lake of the Dead' decks (one with Depths ie. this thread, and one without, ie. only Reanimator like the video Andrea Mengucci just uploaded) it seems that the Depths version is stronger.

One thing I have seen is that because the deck attacks so strongly from a variety of different angles, opponents will often 'over-sideboard' into many different narrow answers and hope that you stumble enough that they can win with whatever other cards they have left over (e.g. Snapcaster beatdowns or Deathrite Activations).

With this in mind, is it possible a card like Phyrexian Arena could be okay for the sideboard, for when these slower, grindy games come up? Or is it better to try and 'hate the hate' with more cards like Massacre, Pithing Needle, etc

Quote Originally Posted by castellan View Post
    Hey everyone! Here to report last night's tournament. My decklist is two posts above.

Round 1: Burn (2-1)

Game 1: He drops a mountain and bolts me, on my turn I drop a Marit Lage. He says 'let's see if I'm going to topdeck salvation', draws a card, goes 'meh', game 2. I wonder what 'salvation' was.

Game 2: He opens with a Leyline in play and now I have no graveyard, so either Lage or hardcast something is the way to go. He does mull to 4 to find it tho, so he's really out of gas. I kept a good hand that relied on my graveyard, so I draw a bunch of dead stuff as he bolts me turn after turn. I finally draw a Depths and with a big smile I drop a Lage. He says 'let's see if I'm topdecking salvation now', draws a card, and drops a Maze of Ith. Well fuck. By next turn he has a Sulfuric Vortex which brings me down to zero.

Game 3: I'm on the play. I say the magic words 'Iona. Red.'. There's no game after that.

Round 2: Stoneblade (1-2)

I don't know if this is a bad matchup for our deck or if I just suck at this, but I've never even won a game against Stoneblade. The only time in the past I managed to land an Inkwell Leviathan my opponent topdecks a Council's Judgement. In my opinion, every single one of those in the world should be set on fire.

Game 1: I don't know what he's playing but my opening hand has two halves of different combos and discard, so I keep and have something like 16 good draws - either Exhume, Reanimate, Thespian's Stage or Hexmage would set me off. I Thoughtseize him and take out a Jace. After that, statistics takes over and I just watch as he drops a SFM, Batterskull, Fire/Ice and I keep drawing Swamps, Rituals, Petals...by the time I was dead I was manually at 6 Ice counters on Depths.

Game 2: I open with the strongest hand possible, combo and discard. I Unmask him, see no counters, take out a Council's Judgement, and put an Inkwell Leviathan in play. Now it's time for redemption. He literally does nothing and waits three turns until he dies. He did, however, used his resources to keep me from seeing his hand. He wanted further information on my deck and kept hidden his sideboard choices.

Game 3: He mulls to 5 and opens with a Ponder, I do however mull to 4 and still don't find shit. I draw a Depths followed by a Stage, but even with Lage in play I don't think I can do anything since he's already at 28 thanks to Batterskull. He drops a Nemesis, which gets equipped with Skull and Fire/Ice, swings for two billion and there's nothing I can do. Not beating Stoneblade...not this time.

Round 3: BRg Homebrew (2-0)

Game 1: I never knew what he played because I won the dice roll and opened with Depths, Petal, Ritual, Hexmage, Marit Lage. He looks at Lage, says 'well, game 2'.

Game 2: He boards HARD, opening with Leyline and Cage. I Thoughtseize him and see only lands and a Blood Moon, which gets discarded. I play a Hexmage and after that the game stalls since he flooded as hard as a man can flood, and I see no way to hardcast the Titans in my hand. I ping him for 2 until he is dead.

Round 4: UBr Something (1-2)

Game 1: He wins the roll and Thoughtseize me. He finds and discards an Entomb. I draw a Stage and put it into play, he looks at it and goes 'dude wat'. I know that Depths Reanimator is a new deck, but in my local meta most people don't even know what's happening. After that I never found a black source and statistic gets me again, and I'm slowly beaten to death with Snapcasters.

Game 2: I open with the best hand a man can hope for and land a Griselbrand, which he never recovers from. He hided his SB choices just like my opponent before him, doing nothing and even Vendillioning himself to hide a card when I Unmasked him.

Game 3: We both mull to 5 and he opens with Underground Sea and Ponder, I open with a combo that gets FoW'd. A turn later we're both in topdeck mode, and he draws only cantrips and lands, giving me time to draw into a Stage + Depths, which makes me very happy. His graveyard is any Snapcaster's paradise and it does shit against a two-land combo. In my excitement, I combo out and bring a Lage into play, only to try to Unmask him AFTER I casted the lage. He responds with a bounce card in my token and then I'm out of resources and eventually gets beaten to death. This idiotic mistake costed me the game (OBVIOUSLY should have Unmasked him before comboin' out) and made me very angry - I mean, statistics and variance are a part of the game you can't get rid of, but when my excitement clouds my judgement with stupidity I get really, really mad at myself. Well, lesson learnt the hard way. This game loss prevented me from cashing out at the event and made me even angrier.

Overall comments:

At least in my current meta, this deck performs really well and my only bad matchup I personally had so far was Stoneblade (again, I might suck playing against it). There's this dude playing D&T at the store but I never played against him.
    Before the event started, I played an ANT Storm guy with a very fancy, foil deck, and it was the easiest match of the night. We played eight games, with and without SB, and I won eight times in a row. I don't know if he sucks against a deck he never played before but it seems that ANT is the sweetest matchup of the century. I prayed to God that I'd face him in the tournament, but I guess his prayers were stronger since we weren't paired up together.

Next wednesday there's another event and the following day I'll write again.
    If white decks are giving you trouble, you could try Not Of This World for protecting Grisel and ML from Karakas/Swords

Thread Information