Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    If white decks are giving you trouble, you could try Not Of This World for protecting Grisel and ML from Karakas/Swords
    Not Of This World seems nice in theory but in the field it never really did anything for me. It might counter the first threat, but there's always another thing coming. Personally if I'm facing anyone with a Tundra/chance of Karakas on the table I'd rather just reanimate Inkwell Leviathan rather than trying to get a Griselbrand into play and protecting him. Marit Lage also dies to any bounce or blink so it's really plan C, plan B being hardcast a Grave Titan, which I'm strongly considering running four.

Anyway, here's the report for last night's event! Managed a 3-1 in a 4 round event. Ca$hed out!

Round 1: BR Reanimator (0-2)

Game 1: I open to a hand with no lands, but with Petal, Petal, Entomb, Ritual, Exhume, Thoughtseize...but before I make the play, he says 'I have an effect before you play', and reveals a Chancellor of the Annex. I draw a card and do a whole bunch of nothings as I watch him Reanimate everything unopposed.

Game 2: An opening hand with Surgical and two halves of different combos is good enough for me. I keep my hand, he keeps his hand, and before he makes his move - that Surgical is tingling in my hand at this point - he says 'I have an effect...' and I know I'm doomed. He reveals not one, but two Annex disgraces, and proceeds to win. I didn't get to play MtG at all in Round 1, I just watched a how-to-play YouTube video of BR Reanimator. Well, it happens, this is Legacy.

Comments: I think this should be a good matchup for us, but both his opening hands were ridiculous and against that there's nothing we can do. Variance does exist, so lets just shrug it out.

Round 2: Burn (2-0)

Game 1: I get 3 to my face, but in my turn I happily say the words a Burn player fears most: 'Iona. Red.'

Game 2: I get Swiftspear to my face this time, but when I get to draw a card again I have the pleasure of saying 'Iona. Red.'

Comments: I thought this would be an easy matchup, and bois was I right.

Round 3: Leovold Control (2-0)

Game 1: I open with discard and combo, resolve a Ritual turn 1, and the first thing I do is Thoughtseize him. It resolves too, and I see a hand with Jace, Snapcaster, Bolt, FoW and - surprise! - maindeck Edict. I take out the FoW, smile and combo out, bringing a Grave Titan into play. No Edicts can save him this time. He should have FoW'd my Ritual, but I think it would just bought him a turn or so.

Game 2: He opens with DRS and says 'go'. I draw the last thing I needed to rain hell upon him and try to Unmask him, baiting a possible FoW, which indeed happened. Then I play Swamp, Petal, Ritual, Ritual, Grave Titan. He draws a card and shakes my hand. He says 'let me show you why I FoW'd your Unmask', and reveals a hand with two Faerie Macabre and a Surgical Extraction. Turns out sometimes you can insanely hardcast things turn 1 :)

Comments: This matchup is pretty straightforward - resolve a Titan and they're powerless.

Round 4: Grixis Pyromancer (2-0)

Game 1: I open a hand which screams 'Let Marit Lage tear him a new one'. He plays an Underground Sea followed by Ponder, and in my turn I know I'm gonna get a counter but I go for it anyway due to my monstrously resourceful opening hand. I play Depths, Petal, Ritual, and Hexmage. It gets FoW'd, but the remaining mana Reanimates him. I get Marit Lage out, he draws a card and scoops. I still had another Hexmage and another Reanimate, so that Marit Lage was mos def gonna happen.

Game 2: I open with a hand with no combo components but it did bought a lot of time. I Have two Pithing Needle, Duress, Unmask...I needle Wasteland and DRS and two turns later I put a Marit Lage into play. He has no edicts but I have a Grave Titan to drop next turn. He managed to beat me down with Delver and Pyromancer tokens and even with Marit Lage in play, he swings for what he thinks it's exactly lethal. I'm at 2, and he says 'Ok, now I activate Shaman and you're dead', I just point at my Needle and he goes 'well shit', Brainstorm for a last resource but extends his hand. 'I totally forgot about that needle!', well, I didn't ;)

Comments: This match is grindy enough for me to try and Reanimate an Elesh Norn, but I guess I lucked out in his lack of answers, his misplay on game 2 and my strong opening hands.

I'll try to give more details on the next one if anyone feels it's worth it - SB choices, pics of opening hands, anything that helps us develop our tech.

Match 1 Game 1 your hand easily beats Chancellor on the play. Play a Petal, it gets countered. Play a second petal, ritual, entomb, exhume.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Match 1 Game 1 your hand easily beats Chancellor on the play. Play a Petal, it gets countered. Play a second petal, ritual, entomb, exhume.
    The main reason I didn't follow with that play is because I'm stupid.

Hello everyone,

Here's a report for a reasonably boring, uneventful tournament from last night. We managed to gather only 7 people to play, the store owner himself joined and everyone matched with him got a bye just so we could play for 3 rounds.

Round 1: Bye

Round 2: UR Delver (2-1)

Game 1: I win the roll and try to combo out on turn 1, unaware of the deck I was facing. I get FoW'd, he drops a Swiftspear and quickly flips his delver, while I get to do nothing over and over again. When I land a fatty in the yard, I'm too low on life to reanimate and die to that flipped insect from hell.

Game 2: I didn't see any Wastelands, but I bring in 4 Needle just in case. Now he's probably loaded with Echoing Truth / Vapor Snag, so I thing Inkwell Leviathan would be a good target to Reanimate, but if he bounces Grave Titan to my hand it leaves tokens behind to block Swiftspears and creates more tokens when it comes back. Even so, Griseldaddy would be a better target for I can draw 7 in response to anything and rain hell upon him whilst blocking and gaining life. My opening hand is loaded with hardcast and discard, so a turn 1 Grave Titan and turn 2 Marit Lage seals the deal. Never had a chance to Reanimate anything.

Game 3: He had it all and I didn't stood a chance. FoW, Daze, Snapcaster, Vapor Snag, and I die quickly to his buffed Prowess thingy that flies, I didn't even knew it existed. I misplayed a lot on this game, if I wasn't a moron under pressure maybe I could have made better judgement calls.

Comments: Shouldn't be too hard of a matchup, but I did misplayed a lot. I think Elesh Norn would be nice to resolve, as well as Inkwell Leviathan, but Grave Titan leaves bodies behind and it's recasteable, whilst a bounced Inkwell / Norn isn't. Given that I was countered to hell and back, I couldn't land a single Griselbrand in any game.

Round 3: UB Stiflenought (2-0)

Game 1: He opens with a Gitaxian Probe and I reveal my hand: Petal, Ritual, Hexmage, Depths, Entomb, Reanimate, Thoughtseize. He scoops.

Game 2: It bizarrely goes to the distance in one of the most bizarre games I've played with this deck. He opens with a Grafdigger's Cage and a Petal with Thoughtseize, removing a Hexmage and hitting it with a Surgical. All this on turn one. Now I can't reanimate anything so I have 12 dead draws, but I can still manage to find a Stage to copy my depths. Well, could have, hadn't he dropped a Needle on Stage the following turn. We play draw-land-go for about 7 or 8 turns, and he strangely couldn't find anything either. I accumulate enough cards to have an all-in turn, trying to hardcast something after discarding him into oblivion, and it doesn't work. I empty my hand, he empties his, and now we're in topdeck mode, both hellbent. By turn 8011 I manage to draw and resolve a Lost Legacy, naming Dreadnought, and he extends his hand.

Comments: it's all about who combo out first. If he lands a Dreadnought in play I can't reanimate, if I land a Marit Lage he can't attack. Grave Titan also shines, being a 10-body with Deathtouch. If he attacks in a Titan, I only lose 2 life and he loses his wincon, If he attacks into Griseldaddy not only he keeps his monster but I lose mine, so I'm thinking Marit Lage first (pre-board), Grave Titan first (post-board).

Quote Originally Posted by castellan View Post
    Lost Legacy, naming Dreadnought
    This doesn't quite work...

Situations like that game are why I think Phyrexian Arena could be a good SB card, some opponents will just play G2/3 with the plan of desperately trying to interact with you as many ways as they can, so it seems that to beat this you just want to be playing more ways to grind out advantage. Eventually you will hit the threat that dodges whatever lockpiece they have
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 10-06-2017 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    This doesn't quite work...

Situations like that game are why I think Phyrexian Arena could be a good SB card, some opponents will just play G2/3 with the plan of desperately trying to interact with you as many ways as they can, so it seems that to beat this you just want to be playing more ways to grind out advantage. Eventually you will hit the threat that dodges whatever lockpiece they have
    As Lost Legacy resolved he scooped, I don't see how it doesn't work. At least in this particular Stiflenought build.

As Lost Legacy resolved he scooped, I don't see how it doesn't work. At least in this particular Stiflenought build.
    "Choose a nonartifact, nonland card name"

Quote Originally Posted by filln View Post
    "Choose a nonartifact, nonland card name"
    Oh, literally doesn't work.

And we both missed it!

Apologise for the stupidity

nobody plays the deck anymore? :O

Quote Originally Posted by NegatorITA View Post
    nobody plays the deck anymore? :O
    There's a tournament tomorrow to which I'll bring the deck. I'll also be playing it in Nationals by the end of november.

Hey there,

So here's what happened last night. Only 2-1-1, mainly because I'm still brain farting at the wrong times.

Round 1: Lands (2-0)

Game 1: He wins the roll, fetches a Taiga and casts a Gamble, discarding a Life From the Loam. Now I know that he's on Lands, and I manage do put a Grave Titan into play back in my turn. I swing for 10, then 14 and there's only so much his Maze can do.

Game 2: He opens with Ancient Tomb and Sphere of Resistance and tears stream down my face, for I had a combo ready to go in my hand which will most likely never happen. It slows me down a great bit, but eventually I manage to put a Tidespout Tyrant into play, which kept bouncing his Glacial Chasm and Mazes back to his hand before each attack. A hardcast Grave Titan seals the match.

Comments: Seems to be a pretty straightforward match. An early Titan is very difficult to deal with, and it's preferable over Griselbrand or even Iona on green, unless you Needle his Karakas first. Copying their Karakas to bounce their Marit Lage is also something to pay attention to. Or maybe I got lucky, he didn't assemble his combo in neither of the games.

Round 2: BR Reanimator (1-2)

Game 1: Dat opening tho - Reveals me a Chancellor, puts a Griselbrand in play. I never recover.

Game 2: I mull to four only to find a combo ready to go since I'm on the play, and pray to the heavens above so that he doesn't reveal a Chancellor before we start. It doesn't happen, I cast Iona on black and we go to game 3.

Game 3: It strangely goes to the distance, after he Surgical my Griselbrand and I Surgical his Chancellor. I cast a Hexmage only for him to Needle it, but we take so many turns drawing absolutely nothing that I beat him down to 4 with it. At a certain point I have Depths in hand and Thespian Stage in play, and he finds and discards a Tidespout Tyrant with Faithless Loothing and tries to reanimate it. I think that it might be a trap, so that I remove it and he can Griselbrand me somehow, so I let it happen, thinking 'Marit Lage is bigger!'. I summon her from her icy prison only for him to bounce it, and I realize the level of stupidity I operate on. Dear God, this one I deserved to lose.

Comments: If I didn't turn into a blind motherfucker when I'm excited about a play I'd have won it, but my stupid brain wouldn't let it.

Round 3: BRg Homebrew (2-0)

Game 1: I win the roll and Grave Titan turn 1, he drops a mountain and says 'go', he loses soon after.

Game 2: He opens with a DRS, but I cast Grave Titan again on my turn 1, and he also loses soon after.

Comments: I know this player and I know his deck - it is filled with edicts, lilianas and goblins, or in other words, nothing that answers a quick Titan. Never lost a game to this player.

Round 4: Stoneblade (1-1)

Game 1: I win the dice roll and go to town creating a Marit Lage turn 1. He topdecks a Plowshares and now I am at 40 life. With another Depths in hand, I just need to draw a Stage or Hexmage or Reanimate or Exhume to combo out again, which happens next turn. I smile from ear to ear, only to be slapped in the face with another Plowshares. I'm sitting at 58 life (having lost 2 points to Reanimate on Hexmage) and we play a long, long game in which he counters or removes everything that I do. I hoped to cast a Griselbrand and draw the whole motherfucking deck but it never happens, and almost 40 minutes later a Jace Ultimate seals the game for him.

Game 2: By the time we start game 2 we're almost on timeout. He mulls to 3 and FoW's my first attempt at combo (which would bring Inkwell Leviathan into play), but soon after I cast a Marit Lage. Unless he draws an answer I can swing and at least tie the match (never won against Stoneblade!), he draws a card and takes 20 to the face after revealing it was an uncasteable Jace.

Comments: this matchup is a nightmare and I think that my only chance is to bring a turn 1 Grave Titan or Inkwell Leviathan, preferably the latter. Even so, if he casts a SFM the Batterskull might buy him enough time to live. I'd rather just get stabbed in the balls than playing against Stoneblade.

I'm hoping to play this tomorrow at a win a FoW tourney. I'll report back how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    I'm hoping to play this tomorrow at a win a FoW tourney. I'll report back how it goes.
    Please do! Good luck :)

By the way, wanted to share that I played a lot of matches today against New Miracles and Storm, and here's what I think:

Miracles: 1-4 pre-board, 0-5 post-board

This matchup is nearly impossible. I won the very first game, but after that, there was no way I could get shit done. The one time I didn't get countered and managed to land an Iona for white in play, he Ponder and Snapcaster-Ponder his way into Karakas and bounces it. Grave Titan got Terminus to the face and no Griselbrand ever saw the light of day.

Boarding brought Pithing Needle, Duress and Inkwell Leviathan, all of them useless. I'm at a loss here, if you have some ideas to share I'm all ears. I even tried Lost Legacy into Terminus but it didn't resolve.

Storm: 4-1 pre-board, 4-1 post-board

Preeety easy. Playing against ANT, Iona on black is GG. I only kept hands with either immediate Iona or Marit Lage, to swing for full 20 on turn 2, or even hands without one of those but with a lot of disruption.

The only match I lost post-board was the first, I accidentaly boarded out all my Reanimate targets when I set them aside for choosing
    Last edited by castellan; 10-21-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Insights on matchups

Miracles is hard because they have a lot of ways to deal with your stuff.

One option is to go as fast as possible to get under their hate. If you can stick an early threat and keep them off balance enough with discard then you can win. Griselbrand is super helpful if he sticks even briefly, since you can draw a bunch of threats and overload their answers.

Iona isn't actually super great, I don't think, and might not be your highest priority. There is also strong justification for naming blue with Iona if she sticks. Naming white shuts down most of their removal options, but their deck is heavy blue and they will still have access to all their cantrips into a Jace to remove your Iona. If you think they have the removal then just name white, but if you think they don't or you know they don't, then naming blue shuts down most of their deck and makes it harder to actually find relevant cards.

Of note, miracles can't beat Archetype of Endurance + Iona on white, but this combo is much harder to assemble than just animating a single fatty.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

There's a tournament tomorrow to which I'll bring the deck. I'll also be playing it in Nationals by the end of november.
    There's a legacy nationals? Where? When?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Miracles is hard because they have a lot of ways to deal with your stuff.

One option is to go as fast as possible to get under their hate. If you can stick an early threat and keep them off balance enough with discard then you can win. Griselbrand is super helpful if he sticks even briefly, since you can draw a bunch of threats and overload their answers.

Iona isn't actually super great, I don't think, and might not be your highest priority. There is also strong justification for naming blue with Iona if she sticks. Naming white shuts down most of their removal options, but their deck is heavy blue and they will still have access to all their cantrips into a Jace to remove your Iona. If you think they have the removal then just name white, but if you think they don't or you know they don't, then naming blue shuts down most of their deck and makes it harder to actually find relevant cards.

Of note, miracles can't beat Archetype of Endurance + Iona on white, but this combo is much harder to assemble than just animating a single fatty.
    I barely get to put a single fatty in play, let alone Archetype + Iona. It would be great but I need to combo twice for that to happen...I guess your first assessment is the best way to go though. An early Griseldaddy can be too much if it draws 7 or even 14 cards it it was Exhumed and not Reanimated.

Naming anything with Iona can be frustrating. You've got a point about naming blue, but out of 4 Swords to Plowshares and 4 Terminus, one of them will eventually show up. Naming white leaves their cantrips for Jace and even Karakas though. Ugh this is hard.

But thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    There's a legacy nationals? Where? When?
    Sorry, should've made myself clear. It's in Brazil.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Sorry, should've made myself clear. It's in Brazil.
    You killed my dreams. Call the police and turn yourself in, murderer!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    You killed my dreams. Call the police and turn yourself in, murderer!
    Considering the place you can go ahead and leave 911 in speed dial

Hey there y'all,

Another night, another tourny, not so good this time. Only 2-2.

Round 1: Stoneblade (0-2)

Game 1: I win the roll and have a combo hand ready to go - Unmask myself, discard Grave Titan, Reanimate it. I pass the turn, he plowshares my Titan. Soon after, he Snapcaster-blocks one of the tokens and Plowshares the others. Then, Batterskull, Jitte...can't say I didn't see it coming.

Game 2: I open with a combo that gets Surgical, I follow with a Marit Lage that gets bounced, then Rest In Piece nails my coffin. Sigh.

Comments: my new sideboard plan includes praying to whatever God you believe in, and if you happen to lose, find a new God.

Round 2: Elves (2-0)

Game 1: Marit Lage turn 1 - Depths, Lotus Petal, Ritual, Hexmage and he only has a Deathrite in play. Nothing to see here ;)

Game 2: He goes crazy turn 2, with a Glimpse of Nature and something like 14 elves on the board (could swing for lethal next turn, as they were nearly all just casted), and my only hope was to topdeck an Exhume or Reanimate, since I had sadly drawn my Elesh Norn and would have to discard it. Gods failing me in the first match, I pray to no one in my draw step but end up finding my Reanimate - I Thoughtseize myself, Elesh Norn in the grave, Elesh Norn in the field. All those green bastards are dead, he sticks nothing after my turn, and I end up killing him with my Elesh + his own Craterhoof Behemoth, which I managed to discard and reanimate.

Comments: If you stick an Iona for green on time its game, if you're too late just bring in Elesh, otherwise go crazy on Marit Lage early...it's hard to lose, easy match. There'd have to be unfair amounts of bad luck involved.

Round 3: Elves (0-2)

Game 1: I mull to six, five, four, three and stop because it won't get any better. I just watch him do his things and the green motherfuckers get a karma revenge win for the team whilst I do nothing, dead draw after dead draw.

Game 2: I feel like setting fire to my deck, mulling to four once again and stopping thanks to a single decent card (Pithing Needle), albeit with no mana source. "Nah, I'll draw it later on, I'm sure!". Man, never think that because 'later on' ain't gonna come. Once again, my opponent kinda just stares at me and does his thing as maybe he still didn't knew what he was playing against.

Comments: Remember that unfair amount of bad luck? Yeah.

Game 4: Burn (2-0)

Game 1: I start at 17 and drop to 8 after reanimating Iona, but getting to say "Iona. Red." is worth it. We're a total of 12 seconds into the round.

Game 2: I open with a stupid, stupid hand that I wish I could see more of. Depths, Petal, Ritual, Ritual, Entomb, Reanimate, Hexmage. Pulling off Marit Lage + Iona turn 1 is what I play this deck for. He laughs and says 'I'm not even mad, this is amazing'.

Comments: I'd say burn is easy and to lose you'd have to have unfair amounts of bad luck involved, but that might jinx my next Burn match so I'll just shut up.

All and all, it was a mediocre night with no interesting plays. I have no idea how many people still look into this deck and I know that in my city (even country) meta I might be the only one playing it, but so far I'm happy with how things turns out in average. At least the deck gave me loads of store credit so far ;)

Thread Information