Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

Mar 2015
    Paris

Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

Just finished another league 4-1. I have been doing quite well online and at the LGS with my list.

Won vs BR Reanimator, D&T, Lands, UW Stoneblade. Lost to... Mr Ewlandon in the mirror!

BR Reanimator (2-1)
    G1 I got T1 Iona'd on black (played a swamp on the play)
    G2 ML gets him
    G3 I keep a no lander with Leyline. He never recovers.

Mirror (Ewlandon)
    G1 I misplayed but managed to kill him with ML after a long and grindy game
    G2 I have T1 ML in hand, but I'm on the play and he has T1 Iona. It's better.
    G3 We both make ML and I have Leyline, but 1 turn before I can cast my Titan he discards and reanimates it... too bad

Anyway it was great to play vs the sensei and creator of the deck.

D&t played by MALIMUJO
    G1 He doesn't know I play ritual and tries to revoker my thespian stage while I have DD, TS and Swamp in play.
    G2 Karakas slows me down, he exiles a Titan but I finally needle Karakas, draw dread of night and win

Lands
    G1 I got ML'd quickly
    G2 T2 Griselbrand does it (he then drops ML but I can get a Tidespout Tyrant into play)
    G3 he bogs me but I managed to drop a ML with unread dark ritual :)

This is a very grindy matchup but we can attack from more angles

UWb Stoneblade
    G1 T2 ML
    G2 discard council's judgement, discard supreme verdict, drop ML, gg

Overall I still love this deck. You can go the unfair way or the fair way with the Titans vs D&T or Delver.

I'm gonna try the Helm's combo to have a 3rd out after SB.

List:

4 DD
    4 TS
    4 Urborg
    1 Lake of the Dead
    9 Swamp

2 Grave Titan
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Iona
    4 Vampire Hexmage

3 Beseech the Queen (still not 100% convinced)
    3 Collective Brutality
    3 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize (or 4 Unmask depends)
    4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Pithing Needle

SB
    4 LotV
    3 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Duress
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Lake of the Dead
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    2 Pithing Needle

You can't Revoker Thespian's Stage.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Mar 2015
    Paris

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    You can't Revoker Thespian's Stage.
    You’re correct, I’ll look at the replay because I don’t have the details in head right know.

EDIT: so it was the play and he had Thalia in hand so I’m sure he missed it also. Anyway I’m not great vs D&T usually but the matchup is better than for Turbo Depths!

I've seen some SB to include 4x Leyline of the Void and 4x Helm Of Obedience for a third/unexpected combo. The user argued that it was yet another angle of attack which was more efficient than trying to board countermeasures for G2/G3 against some decks.

I've tried it out with reasonable success, however my sample space is not big enough to come into a reliable conclusion. If anyone has an insight to offer on the matter I'd be happy to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by castellan View Post
    I've seen some SB to include 4x Leyline of the Void and 4x Helm Of Obedience for a third/unexpected combo. The user argued that it was yet another angle of attack which was more efficient than trying to board countermeasures for G2/G3 against some decks.

I've tried it out with reasonable success, however my sample space is not big enough to come into a reliable conclusion. If anyone has an insight to offer on the matter I'd be happy to hear it.
    8 SB slots seems like a lot for a 3rd combo when you have no Brainstorm or Enlightened tutor to fetch the pieces. I do usually keep a miser's 1 Helm in my SB to bring in against Rest In Peace decks.

Went 2-0-1 with the Tin Fins-Depths style list this week. Beat UB Reanimator, RW Painter and tied Lands.

Mar 2015
    Paris

Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    8 SB slots seems like a lot for a 3rd combo when you have no Brainstorm or Enlightened tutor to fetch the pieces. I do usually keep a miser's 1 Helm in my SB to bring in against Rest In Peace decks.

Went 2-0-1 with the Tin Fins-Depths style list this week. Beat UB Reanimator, RW Painter and tied Lands.
    Yes and you can tutor it with Beseech the Queen during a grindy game (vs Lands, Prison deck with Bridge on the board, D&T why not...)

I went 5-0 again last night, beat BUG, D&T, BUG again, Mono red prison, Belcher. Lost only 1 game in the league to Belcher, deck ran hot in the 3 first matches where I had turn 1 or turn 2 most of the time.

Edit: list https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/822482#paper

The most difficult game was vs Mono red, where he had a board with chalice on 2, blood moon x2, bridge x 2. I had a needle on Chandra, was able to land a Iona on red, to reanimate a Hexmage to kill his other Chandra while at 1 life, to reanimate a 2nd + hardcast Titan to kill him with Mage and Zombies.

I'm happy so far with main board and sideboard, I'm not sure if I want to bring in Elesh Norn for elves and what to cut for the Helm.
    Last edited by Ultrab77; 11-12-2017 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrab77 View Post
    Yes and you can tutor it with Beseech the Queen during a grindy game (vs Lands, Prison deck with Bridge on the board, D&T why not...)

I went 5-0 again last night, beat BUG, D&T, BUG again, Mono red prison, Belcher. Lost only 1 game in the league to Belcher, deck ran hot in the 3 first matches where I had turn 1 or turn 2 most of the time.

The most difficult game was vs Mono red, where he had a board with chalice on 2, blood moon x2, bridge x 2. I had a needle on Chandra, was able to land a Iona on red, to reanimate a Hexmage to kill his other Chandra while at 1 life, to reanimate a 2nd + hardcast Titan to kill him with Mage and Zombies.

I'm happy so far with main board and sideboard, I'm not sure if I want to bring in Elesh Norn for elves and what to cut for the Helm.
    Ah how do you find Beseech the queen? I haven't played with it before. Need 4 lands in play to find Helm or Leyline

Elelsh Norn is usually an auto win vs Elves if it resolves, I don't see why you wouldn't bring it in.

Mar 2015
    Paris

Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    Ah how do you find Beseech the queen? I haven't played with it before. Need 4 lands in play to find Helm or Leyline

Elelsh Norn is usually an auto win vs Elves if it resolves, I don't see why you wouldn't bring it in.
    I meant I need something to cut for EleshNorn in my SB: Tidespout Tyrant?

Beseech the Queen is often boarded out, especially vs combo.

But you always get the 2 lands for Hexmage, reanimation or else (needle, dread of night, rite of consumption...)

In grindy matchups you will have the land count anyway for helm or you should not play the Helm combo.

Dear friends of The Source,
    I'm returning to play MTG after a long, long time. After a period of updating and buys I have prepared some legacy decks and I will try one in a local shop legacy tournament in about two weeks.
    Initially I was ready to try a BG Dark Depths deck, with the classic list but including Living Wish but I note the metagame will be full of big guys with some Eldrazis decks. D&T Elves S&S and even BR Reanimator
    with this meta I'm considering change to a BG Reanimator Depths including also Living Wish, something like the list recommended by the user filln in this thread (with 3 abrupt decay in the sideboard) but including 2 x Griselbrand or my last option, to play BW Reanimator Depths.

I will be a total surprise at less in G1, because nobody knows my deck.
    what do you think will be more competitive? pure DD, BG reanimator depth or BW reanimator depth?
    and if I go with a Reanimator list, how and when can I use Griselbrand's ability without Children? and how can I protect Marit Lage or must I include Rite of Consumtion with the token? Sorry if I ask too much quedtions and thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by malekith View Post
    Dear friends of The Source,
    I'm returning to play MTG after a long, long time. After a period of updating and buys I have prepared some legacy decks and I will try one in a local shop legacy tournament in about two weeks.
    Initially I was ready to try a BG Dark Depths deck, with the classic list but including Living Wish but I note the metagame will be full of big guys with some Eldrazis decks. D&T Elves S&S and even BR Reanimator
    with this meta I'm considering change to a BG Reanimator Depths including also Living Wish, something like the list recommended by the user filln in this thread (with 3 abrupt decay in the sideboard) but including 2 x Griselbrand or my last option, to play BW Reanimator Depths.

I will be a total surprise at less in G1, because nobody knows my deck.
    what do you think will be more competitive? pure DD, BG reanimator depth or BW reanimator depth?
    and if I go with a Reanimator list, how and when can I use Griselbrand's ability without Children? and how can I protect Marit Lage or must I include Rite of Consumtion with the token? Sorry if I ask too much quedtions and thanks in advance.
    Hey there buddy, here's my 10 cents:

I'd choose BW Reanimator Depths. I still have people tilting hard when they see me cast an Entomb with Dark Depths in play, the deck attacks from many angles and it's performing really well for me in my local meta. I've found that protecting Marit Lage barely ever works - in hard matches like New Miracles or Stoneblade they will - absolutely will - find another answer if you manage to, say, counter a StP with Not From This World. In said matches, throw Marit Lage to their faces and whilst they try to get rid of it try to put a Grave Titan into play. In my experience, however, I have about 10% WR against those decks and I don't even waste SB space with them anymore, I just roll with it.

About Griselbrand and when/how to use it, it's easier to say when NOT to use it. The answer for me is ALWAYS, except for:

- In decks with chances of finding an Edict (Either Diabolical or Liliana) Grave Titan is better;
    - If I have to bring Iona against Storm, early Elves or Burn
    - If Elesh Norn needs to wipe the board of Baldy tokens or similar;
    - If someone managed to bring Marit Lage and Tidespout Tyrant needs to bounce it.

I think it's roughly the general rule. Also, when I Exhume it instead of Reanimate it, I usually draw 14 because I'm a greedy motherfucker but it's usually GG from there, as you'll mos def end up with Marit Lage and another fatty into play.

Edit: clarity

Hey everyone,

I know that Sire Of Insanity is a BR Reanimator staple, but how could that work out for us? I feel like a T1 Sire against decks such as Lands and any combo should be very favorable.

If you Sire vs Lands on the draw, you lose. If you Sire vs Lands on the play, if they draw Maze of Ith, or Land then Crop Rot for Maze, you lose.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    If you Sire vs Lands on the draw, you lose. If you Sire vs Lands on the play, if they draw Maze of Ith, or Land then Crop Rot for Maze, you lose.
    Indeed, but ain't it worth the bet on the play tho? What would you rather do? Dunno man, I'm still tilted from my last loss to lands.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Indeed, but ain't it worth the bet on the play tho? What would you rather do? Dunno man, I'm still tilted from my last loss to lands.
    Get Griselbrand, draw 14 cards. Karakas and Mazes can be frustrating, just try and disrupt them enough to stop that as fast as possible, maybe play a md Needle to Beseech for.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Heyo everyone, came back from Nationals this weekend, got home with a 5-3. Had it been a 6-2, I'd have made day 2. Overall I'm quite satisfied with the results, considering: 1) my whole deck costs about ~2 Volcanic Island; 2) I've made a lot of mistakes that could have been prevented if I paid more attention and got anxiety under control. Anyway:

Round 1: Storm (2-0) 1-0 Overall

Game 1: He wins the roll and goes off turn 1, storm count ~10 but fails to find anything useful. He passes and he knows he lost. I Iona for black and he scoops.

Game 2: Iona for black and nothing happens.

Round 2: Stiflenought (2-0) 2-0 Overall

Game 1: I win the roll and Exhume a Griselbrand, draw 7, a few Rituals and Petals later I put a Grave Titan into play as well. He probes, fetches, finds no answers and I swing for 17 the following turn.

Game 2: Phyrexian Dreadnought is big, Marit Lage is bigger. I'm down to 8 but he's down to 0.

Round 3: UR Delver (1-2) 2-1 Overall

Game 1: I'm on the draw and have black mana, Griselbrand, Reanimate and Depths in hand, however no Entomb. He plays a Delver, I draw and pass, EoT discarding a Griselbrand to the yard. He visibly goes 'well shit...', Ponders and Brainstorms his whole hand, swings for 1 and passes. I Reanimate Griselbrand and it's GG.

Game 2: I mull to 3 to find anything besides black mana and nothing but black mana, I'm out of gas when he Flusterstorm my only plan and he swings with lil' dudes til I'm very very dead.

Game 3: I committed a fatal mistake here. Usually with Delver decks post G1 I try to not rely on Reanimate to win, if I do I'd only move forward having Duress or Seize first, however I mulled to 4 and he mulled to 3, so I said 'fuck this' and went for it. I Entomb a Griselbrand and pass, he Brainstorms and passes, but in my turn I forgot to add black mana from Urborg before playing the second Urborg so I could have mana to Exhume Griselbrand. I had both Urborgs in play untapped. I looked at my board, at my opponent, we both started laughing and he said 'well you shat your pants there right?' 'yeah, hard.'. I sac my Urborg, pass, he finally finds a Surgical and soon after I'm dead. Idiot storm count: 1

Round 4: Belcher (1-2) 3-1 Overall

Game 1: I win the roll and Marit Lage him turn 1, with 2x Petal and Hexmage. He tries to Belcher me but fails to find his LED.

Game 2: He keeps a hand full of potential Goblins and I keep a hand that would give me Elesh Norn T1, so I think I'm ok. He empties his hand and puts 18 Goblins into play. I shrug it off and cast Entomb, whilst holding a sexy Petal + Reanimate in hand. I go through my deck three times before realizing I forgot to board Elesh Norn in. Idiot storm count: 2

Game 3: Open with a Marit Lage turn 1 again, but this time I also had Unmask. I take out his only way of going off Turn 1 and he says he's going home.

Round 5: Splinter Twin (2-0) 4-1 Overall

Game 1: He plays Volcanic - Ponder and passes, I play Depths and pass back, he plays Tomb and with Griselbrand in my hand I think I'm going against Sneak & Tell, I'm happy because 14 draws from my Griselbrand usually ends up with a board full enough to overcome anything. However, he passes the turn and in my upkeep he plays Pestermite. Wat. I play Stage, Petal and Ritual, bringing Marit Lage. He finds no answer and he's dead soon after.

Game 2: He mulls to 4 to find a land and after that he floods hard. He actually does nothing while I bring fatties into play and he scoops soon after.

Round 6: BR Reanimator (2-0) 5-1 Overall

Game 1: I'm on the play and Exhume Griselbrand. Being a greedy motherfucker, I draw 14 and Unmask him to see what I'm going against, and find a hand full of big creatures. He had a Chancellor of the Annex but failed to reveal. I discard it, reanimate it and he scoops.

Game 2: With Faithless Loothing he puts two creatures in his graveyard T1, and when he tries to Reanimate one I pitch Faerie Macabre and remove both from the game. And this game is the most fun I had all weekend, because things got WEIRD from there. I Entomb a Griselbrand and he Surgical it. He Entombs his Griselbrand and I Surgical it. As the turns progressed we continuously Unmasked and Seized each other, taking away all reanimation spells we found, until I finally found a Depths. I laugh and say 'well buddy you have a 10-turn clock', which is exactly what ended up happening. I manually start removing Ice counters, by counter 5 we had Reanimated each other's Faerie Macabre from our Graveyards, and people started gathering around to see what the holy fuck was going on. After 84 years I remove the last Ice counter, swing for 20, he chumps with the Faerie, and I win the following turn. What the hell.

Round 7: UW Miracles (1-2) 5-2 Overall

Game 1: I win the roll and keep a hand that screams 'Marit Lage' - Depths, Hexmage, Petal, Ritual, Reanimate, Reanimate, Reanimate. I play Depths, Petal, Ritual and Hexmage T1, he FoW's the Hexmage, I Reanimate it, he FoW's it. Following turn I draw an Urborg, Reanimate it, he counters, Reanimate it again, he goes 'dude!' and I swing for 20 soon after.

Game 2: Miracles does the Miracles thingy in which nothing happens and I lose.

Game 2: Miracles does the Miracles thingy in which nothing happens and I lose.

Round 8: Moon Stompy (1-2) 5-3 Overall

Game 1: He opens with Ancient Tomb, Pitches a Simian Spirit Guide and lands a Trinisphere. I think 'well I can still combo out with lands', but the following turn he drops a Blood Moon. I just stare at the board until I'm very dead.

Game 2: I open with Marit Lage turn 1, he draws a card and says 'game 3', but not without showing me his hand - Surgical, Faerie Macabre, Ensnaring Bridge, Ancient Tomb but no Spirit Guide to pitch. Lucky me.

Game 3: He opens with Chalice for 1 and it foils my Griselbrand plan, I topdeck a way to Marit Lage and pass back, to which he responds with Bridge, followed by Moon, followed by Chandra. He pings me for 2 until I'm dead.

I think I recalled the important stuff correctly, and I can safely say that I still love the deck however it will lose to itself sometimes due to the inevitability of variance. It's important to notice that an idiot storm count 2 is too high for an event like this and I even though I can't get mad at variance I can get mad at myself for committing such gruesome mistakes. Fun event tho, 10/10 would attend again.

Oct 2015
    Virginia

Just took this deck to an event, went 1-4. 13 hands with no mana sources all night (had 25 in the deck), the couple games I won was off turn one reanimation target.
    The deck mulligans really well, several times I went down to 5 and saw Depths, Stage and Urborg.
    Round 1 vs Infect
    Game 1 turn 1 Griselbrand wins.
    Game 2 Wasteland gets him the win on turn 2.
    Game 3 Marit Lage early wins.

Round 2 Vs Delver
    Game 1 Mull to 5, Opponent opens with DRS, can't recover.
    Game 2 mull to 5, wasteland gets him far enough ahead I can't recover.

Round 3 VS Sneak and Show
    Game 1 I get depths, Hexmage gets countered, next turn I have 2 reanimate, they get countered. Next turn they show and tell griselbrand, I have nothing, then top deck griselbrand and concede
    Game 2 Mull to 5, Turn 3 Lage wins it
    Game 3 mull to 5 I set up combo by turn 3 pass, they have sneak attack out and Emmy in hand.

Round 4 Vs Death and Taxes
    Game 1 Mull to 4, have nothing, lose to beats.
    Game 2 Mull, Turn 1 Elesh Norn gets me a win.
    Game 3 Mull to 5, long game where I turn 1 Engineered Plague on human, they find non humans, I reanimate Elesh to wipe his board, it gets path'd, draw nothing for the rest of the game.

Round 5 VS Eldrazi Post
    Game 1 Mull to 5, Wasteland keeps me off Depths plan, turn 2 thought knot seer, die to beats.
    Game 2 I double Lotus petal, Dark Depths and Hexmage,
    Game 3 goes long when he drops Ensnaring Bridge after I get griselbrand, I cast 2 titans and beat him to 6 with 2/2s, Only 3 Collective Brutality in the deck, by the time he casts Ulamog neither of us can do anything. Draw go until he is set up to destroy my hexmage and Ugin for the win. (note to self: I should have boarded in Tidespout or Helm)

I still like the decks explosive starts, I will continue testing with it since I just had incredibly unlucky draws.
    Now Playing:
    Dark depths
    Reanimator
    MUD
    Disclaimer: The above person does not claim to have knowledge pertaining to the following subject: anything. Thus, said person may not be held liable for any mishaps/explosions that his advice incurs.

Heyo everyone, came back from Nationals this weekend, got home with a 5-3. Had it been a 6-2, I'd have made day 2. Overall I'm quite satisfied with the results, considering: 1) my whole deck costs about ~2 Volcanic Island; 2) I've made a lot of mistakes that could have been prevented if I paid more attention and got anxiety under control
    Thx for the report. Can you share your list pls ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDissent View Post
    Thx for the report. Can you share your list pls ?
    Hey! You're welcome ;) Here's the decklist.

Castellan, how often did hardcasting Titan (or Grisel) win you the game (with or without Lake)? I did read your reports - thanks for sharing by the way -, but I don't think I recall such hardcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Castellan, how often did hardcasting Titan (or Grisel) win you the game (with or without Lake)? I did read your reports - thanks for sharing by the way -, but I don't think I recall such hardcasts.
    Not so much lately, and mos def not at last Nationals. Usually it happens when the only answer our opponents find in their SB for G2/G3 is Leyline or Cage. If they haven't seen Lake or even Urborg they will usually drop a Leyline/Cage, lay back and think they already won, and that's when it happens - T3 Grave Titan can really catch them off guard. Lake of the Dead is the card that gets the most 'wait, what?' looks in the deck.

Thread Information