Thread: Is there any way on MTGO to play standard decks from eras past?

Is there any way on MTGO to play standard decks from eras past?

I love the old cards from older sets, and this is one the reasons I play Legacy. It gives me a chance to use some of the older cards in competitive decks.

But unfortunately, there a bunch of cool old cards that are simply not poweful enough to see play in Legacy - stuff like Astral Slide, Flametongue Kavu, Masticore, Mirari's Wake, Fact or Fiction, etc. But cards that are fun to play with that bring back memories.

Is there any way on MTGO to play competitive Leagues/Queues/Dailies with, say, Standard decks from years past against other decks from that same period? Or maybe specific era Extended decks? Similar to how they have Legacy/Vintage/Modern leagues, I would love to see a "Choose your own Standard/Extended" League or something.

I know a month or so ago, they had these Throwback Standard Gauntlet queues, but I missed them because I only recently bought into MTGO. Is there anything similar that happens on a more regular basis? Will they ever bring this "Throwback Standard" gauntlet back?

Re: Is there any way on MTGO to play standard decks from eras past?

There is no support for custom leagues and they won't be coming anytime soon. They require a significant number of people in order to fire matches so you need a fairly active playerbase. Vintage can't currently support a league as an example.

Throwback gauntlets are a mess too, they have decks that no longer work due to rule changes and the inability to choose your own deck makes the $10+ entry fee a joke.

I think your best bet is a self-curated league or group of players that can meet on cockatrice and do your own thing but that's asking for a lot of work to get put together. MTGO is horrible at supporting formats that aren't draft, standard, or modern.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    Throwback gauntlets are a mess too, they have decks that no longer work due to rule changes and the inability to choose your own deck makes the $10+ entry fee a joke.
    Not only rule changes, many decks are simply gimped because key cards are bugged and Wizards can't be assed to fix or even playtest the decks.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I know that it's not the same, but I built an EDH deck to satisfy that drive for me. It's a cross between a Legacy Jund deck, a Modern version, a standard version, and individual cards that are no longer good enough for Legacy.

By really strictly enforcing a curve that's similar to a 60-card deck I ended up with something that feels more like an old extended deck than an EDH deck. It's not a Tiny Leaders deck, so it gets to play a few good four drops and delve cards. It's reasonably competative for 1v1 in a relaxed playgroup. It's not tier one by any means, but it's a lot of fun to play.

I've wanted to build an Astral Slide deck for ages, but that obviously doesn't work in a singleton format. The EDH approach fails for specific engine decks like that.
    InfoNinjas

Thread Information