Thread: Magic online posted decklist changes

Magic online posted decklist changes

"Starting July 10, we will be reducing the total number of top decklists being presented per day from ten to five, and each of these decklists will be randomly selected with the caveat that each list will be at least ten cards different from every other list."

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ges-2017-07-05

Feels bad to get even less data for older formats
    "Everything is better topless"

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Magic online posted decklist changes

This sucks - why do other, "solved" formats like Legacy have to suffer because their incompetent asses fail to make a good Standard environment?

I'm also suprised that Helene Bergeot is gone. Completely missed that, otherwise, she would probably have to serve as a scapegoat.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

WOTCs continued struggle against technology and the free exchange of information continues.

While this might be apples and oranges, League of Legends, a game played by several million more people, is a game whoms meta is solved in..hours, yet still continues to be enjoyable enough to millions of people, or another would be Brood War, a game whoms balance hasn't been touched in two decades and still has an actively followed professional scene (in Korea) and is beloved enough to get a remaster due in a month and a half. In both cases, neither developer for either game has attempted to stifle the travel of information, and in the case of LOL, has embraced it actively. In the case of Starcraft, the comparison is a bit more apt, as the last balance patch was decades ago, yet the professional scene remains fresh and interesting due to rotating map pools, with emphasis made on picking maps that promote food gameplay.

Basically what I'm getting at is, "Solved" isn't inherently a bad thing, and what's more important is a meta being enjoyable and not actively misleading your customers with questionable data samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I'm also suprised that Helene Bergeot is gone. Completely missed that, otherwise, she would probably have to serve as a scapegoat.
    Don't blame her for leaving, if I got left to the wolves every time, I'd bail.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    WOTCs continued struggle against technology and the free exchange of information continues.

While this might be apples and oranges, League of Legends, a game played by several million more people, is a game whoms meta is solved in..hours, yet still continues to be enjoyable enough to millions of people,
    1. What the fuck is wrong with comparing fruit?
    2. They're both top 5 esports. Weird that they'd handle it differently /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

They are both fruits, so you may be on to something.
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Seems like it'd be good to compare different fruits if the idea is to promote food gameplay.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think it's fine. if they were only selected 10 random lists then maybe we'll get some brews listed. at this point we all know what the decks look like. if you want to try to figure out metagame %'s, then just play more leagues or look to paper tournaments.
    -rob

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

There are only so many paper tournaments that get reported, and in the case of vintage/legacy, there aren't many paper tournaments being reported anymore (if at all for vintage). For that matter, how many leagues do you need to play in to get a good picture of the meta game, and once you have, how long is that information good for? If I'm wanting to build a deck to crush a daily, it's hard to make good deckbuilding choices when I am essentially going in blind.

Thread Information