Thread: Want to buy back into Legacy: suggest a deck?

Jun 2012
    uk

Want to buy back into Legacy: suggest a deck?

Hi!

I used to be an Imperial Painter player in legacy and a splinter twin player in modern. I picked twin because it was both a powerful deck and essentially net-decked my list without realising that it's actually harder to play than I first thought. Similarly for legacy, I picked Imperial Painter because it looked fun but likewise it is actually harder to play than it appears on the surface (i.e. You don't just rush the combo out unless you have more information).

What I'm trying to get to here is that I never had great success with those decks, despite playing a lot with twin, and don't want to make the same mistake again. I want to pick a deck that is easy to learn about and is consistent. I'm not concerned about having a lot of interaction because frankly I'm not knowledgable enough about mtg legacy to play decks like shardless bug etc.

Decks that I think look cool and fun to play with:

U/R Delver
    Death and taxes
    Lands
    Br reanimator
    Turbo depths

I find burn really boring to even watch let alone play so that is out of the question for me, despite being a good, consistent deck from what I've seen.
    The last two have extra appeal because they are relatively cheap. However, money is not that big of an issue and I'd rather spend money on a deck that suits my strengths (I.e. Not too much complex thinking required).

Re: Want to buy back into Legacy: suggest a deck?

Sneak and show is the deck you are looking for. It's perfect for what you are describing. It's really good, not difficult to play decently, and extremely consistent.

I recommend death and taxes. On the surface, it's fairly straightforward BUT it has a lot of deeper interactions that can and should be learned that take the deck's performance to the next level. Most of the expensive cards were recently reprinted which has brought the price of the deck down as well. Lastly, most of the deck transitions to Modern with a small amount of additional purchases making it multi-format supporting.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

I want to pick a deck that is easy to learn about and is consistent. I'm not concerned about having a lot of interaction because frankly I'm not knowledgable enough about mtg legacy to play decks like shardless bug etc.
    Show and Tell. Done. Next. It's about as simple and non-interactive as you can get while still playing blue, yet still a very strong and consistent deck. Just counter the spells you think will mess up your plan of playing a 3 or 4 mana win card.

From your list, Turbo Depths can require a lot of interaction and knowledge of decks to figure out what you need to preemptively counteract. The likes of a turn 1 or 2 Pithing Needle depending on your hand and opponent's opening, when to Ghost Quarter, what countermeasures to expect that you need to react to. It's not all Turn 1 discard, turn 2 hexmage GG. In certain matchups it turns into fairly complex puzzle, in others you just jam your combo or die and the round is over in 15 minutes.

BR Reanimator can be fairly non-interactive, jam T1 Sire or Griselbrand if you can. Mulligans might be a challenge, I haven't played with this deck. It can be a one trick pony though.

UR Delver would be easy, strong and very similar to Burn but give you some additional competitiveness and consistency with Blue.

DnT and Lands are too complex to pick up and play optimally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Jun 2012
    uk

Thanks for the replies guys! I just watched a few show and tell matches on YouTube and it looks like the kind of deck I was after so good advice here. I've picked up the pieces now from my LGS apart from volcanics and forces and city of traitors since I want to get a better price for them on eBay. Cheers again!

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Agreed on show and tell. The deck is 12+ cantrips, reactive counterspells that fight through all forms of hate regardless small meta changes, and then 8ish redundant A+B combo pieces that win the game if they resolve. If you can figure out how to cast brainstorms and force of wills, the rest of the deck takes little brain power.

Eldrazi is not a bad option either. It can be a bit inconsistent sometimes, but for a non-blue deck it does pretty well.

I would avoid decks like Lands, death and taxes, tempo/control decks because they require you know exactly how every deck in the format works, so you can fight on the right axis, stop there important cards and prevent their deck from doing what it is supposed to do.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by amjw View Post
    Hi!

What I'm trying to get to here is that I never had great success with those decks, despite playing a lot with twin, and don't want to make the same mistake again. I want to pick a deck that is easy to learn about and is consistent. I'm not concerned about having a lot of interaction because frankly I'm not knowledgable enough about mtg legacy to play decks like shardless bug etc.

Decks that I think look cool and fun to play with:

U/R Delver
    Death and taxes
    Lands
    Br reanimator
    Turbo depths

I am likely biased because i play dark depths, but it seems to fit your criteria. It is a very simple combo. The number of cards that it cares about opponent playing are few, and it is very consistent, as would be any notable combo deck. The most complex thing about the deck is making land drops, and knowing when to combo off. Additionally, the deck is incredibly cheap since, AND it opens up a lot of possibilities for future decks. Once you have acquired dark depths it can be played in different versions or shells. Outside the information i have included in my primer on it, there isnt much else you need to know.

Also, within the "turbo depths" category, there are many ways to play it. The primer includes the 4 most successful decklists. You can pick and choose which ever fits your playstyle. Outside of those versions you begin to get into different archetypes, such as "Lands", reanimator depths, or BUG depths (not to be confused with Negator77's version).
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Thread Information