Thread: Warping Wail on a 1/2 Tarmogoyf

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Warping Wail on a 1/2 Tarmogoyf

This came up last night because of knowledge of the infamous Bolt on a 2/3 Tarmogoyf scenario.

Opponent casts Warping Wail to exile the 1/2 Tarmogoyf (graveyards are only lands). We think the spell resolves and Goyf is exiled because it was a legal target and is exiled at the same time Warping Wail hits the graveyard, correct?

With the Bolt scenario the Goyf survives (or can survive) because of state based checks after Bolt resolves, but with Warping Wail it's a targeting issue.

Were we correct here in assuming the Goyf is still exiled?

Re: Warping Wail on a 1/2 Tarmogoyf

Goyf is exiled as part of the spell's resolution, before Wail hits the graveyard. Similar to Abrupt Decay on a Rest in Peace, where the spell effect occurs first (destroy), so RIP is exiled but then the spell goes to the yard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

It's nothing like a Lightning Bolt, because Warping Wail is directly removing the Tarmogoyf. Lightning Bolt does not cause the Goyf to (potentially) leave play, the State-Based Action check for creatures with fatal damage on them does.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Well that's good to know that we interpreted the ruling correctly.

I just re-read Warping Wail again and now have a follow-up question: What if I Brainstorm'd in response? Brainstorm hits the graveyard, Goyf becomes 2/3 and Warping Wail fizzles?

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    Well that's good to know that we interpreted the ruling correctly.

I just re-read Warping Wail again and now have a follow-up question: What if I Brainstorm'd in response? Brainstorm hits the graveyard, Goyf becomes 2/3 and Warping Wail fizzles?
    When Warping Wail resolves, it will check if its target is still valid. If not, the spell will be countered.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information