Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Sep 2010
    Germany

Re: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Could someone please direct me to the Discord server? The link on the primer page is expired. Thanks!

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by One With Nothing View Post
    Could someone please direct me to the Discord server? The link on the primer page is expired. Thanks!
    Here you go!

https://discord.gg/sHGrP5F
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by One With Nothing View Post
    Hey sorry, it's been updated to a link that never expires! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I'll also take some time after Seattle to update the rest of this primer to more current decklists, since I haven't time to keep things up to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by B88 View Post

People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost — For Support Rather Than Illumination

Hi just looking for some opinions on which version I should buy into. I'm about $150 away from either buying another Tundra and playing UWr with blood moons and blasts or putting that money towards 2 back to basics, 1 karakas and playing the Jim Davis list. I may have an additional $150 in the future, but right now I just have that. My gut tells me to buy into the b2b because while they can be reprinted, one GP win or a few more top 8's with b2b will probably spike it pretty high, while Tundras seem to be stable for now..

Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by SaberTooth View Post
    if brainstorm is banned, legacy will lost his heart

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    Hi just looking for some opinions on which version I should buy into. I'm about $150 away from either buying another Tundra and playing UWr with blood moons and blasts or putting that money towards 2 back to basics, 1 karakas and playing the Jim Davis list. I may have an additional $150 in the future, but right now I just have that. My gut tells me to buy into the b2b because while they can be reprinted, one GP win or a few more top 8's with b2b will probably spike it pretty high, while Tundras seem to be stable for now..

Any thoughts?
    b2b is risky.... tundra is a pretty stable investment but i wouldnt build my deck towards moneymaking...if b2b is the better meta call buy it..
    depending on jim davis really moved the meta with his calls UWr would be the better pick (show and tell underrated and a stable basic mana build you would definitely miss red blast and the main b2b would be blanks)
    karakas is a pretty good investment even for both builds

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post

Any thoughts?
    I would definitely get the Tundra. I don't see B2B going up much more if it does, it's not crucial to the deck. I believe UWr is better, and RL vs no RL.
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/...sts-2018-04-07

2 miracles decks in gp seattle top8 one mentor tempo and one portent miracles.

Both play one or more btb in main.

Portent miracles plays 2 snaps, 1 gideon, 1 clique (61 cards lel)

After hearing how much traumas Stefanogs has created for the storm players via Soothsaying + CB, and then talking to him on beginning of the Day 2 of GP (got introduced via a mutual friend), gonna give Soothsaying another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    After hearing how much traumas Stefanogs has created for the storm players via Soothsaying + CB, and then talking to him on beginning of the Day 2 of GP (got introduced via a mutual friend), gonna give Soothsaying another shot.
    What were his thoughts on Soothsaying in other MUs?

I'm interested with the idea of playing it but also skeptical, it seems too slow verse Grixis Delver and poor verse G/Bx decks, or am I under valuing the card?

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Magicmarvin View Post
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/...sts-2018-04-07

2 miracles decks in gp seattle top8 one mentor tempo and one portent miracles.

Both play one or more btb in main.

Portent miracles plays 2 snaps, 1 gideon, 1 clique (61 cards lel)
    Luke had only 5 islands, not 6. The decklist was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by B88 View Post

People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost — For Support Rather Than Illumination

Hi everyone!

I'm new both to this forum as well as the deck. My LGS has recently begun running Legacy tournaments after much pleading from several members of our community (including myself).
    I've read through the primer as well as various older primers (pre-top banning).
    I wanted some advice regarding decklist optimisation. Unfortunately, I'm on a budget and don't have several pieces that I've seen running around.
    I own two Tundras but no Volcanics first of all, so I'm aiming for the straight UW list. However, I don't own any Back to Basics and as they've spiked considerably I'd prefer not to purchase them if possible. Some people say that they're critical, others no so much. How sub-optimal is it to run no B2B?
    I also don't own any engineered explosives and would prefer not to run them as well.

My local meta is mainly comprised of the following:
    Death and Taxes (1 or 2)
    Storm (1)
    Lands (1)
    Sneak and Show (1-2)
    Belcher (1)
    Grixis Delver Death's Shadow (1) [Budget manabase reasons]
    BUG Delver
    Burn (Several)
    Miracles (Several)

Would you say that Counterbalance would be preferable against this meta?

My current list:

Instant (17)
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Flusterstorm
    4x Force of Will
    3x Predict
    4x Swords to Plowshares

Creature (6)
    3x Monastery Mentor
    3x Snapcaster Mage

Enchantment (3)
    1x Search for Azcanta
    2x Counterbalance

Sorcery (11)
    4x Ponder
    4x Portent
    3x Terminus

Planeswalker (3)
    3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Land (20)
    1x Arid Mesa
    4x Flooded Strand
    6x Island
    3x Plains
    4x Scalding Tarn
    2x Tundra

Sideboard
    1x Containment Priest
    2x Council's Judgment
    3x Disenchant
    1x Entreat the Angels
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Search for Azcanta
    1x Spell Pierce
    1x Supreme Verdict
    2x Surgical Extraction
    2x Vendilion Clique

I've also considered going up on 1 mana interaction such as Path to Exile or Spell Pierce and running the 4th Snapcaster Mage.

Any thoughts or advice on the main deck/side board?

Thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Enderlbs View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm new both to this forum as well as the deck. My LGS has recently begun running Legacy tournaments after much pleading from several members of our community (including myself).
    I've read through the primer as well as various older primers (pre-top banning).
    I wanted some advice regarding decklist optimisation. Unfortunately, I'm on a budget and don't have several pieces that I've seen running around.
    I own two Tundras but no Volcanics first of all, so I'm aiming for the straight UW list. However, I don't own any Back to Basics and as they've spiked considerably I'd prefer not to purchase them if possible. Some people say that they're critical, others no so much. How sub-optimal is it to run no B2B?
    I also don't own any engineered explosives and would prefer not to run them as well.

My local meta is mainly comprised of the following:
    Death and Taxes (1 or 2)
    Storm (1)
    Lands (1)
    Sneak and Show (1-2)
    Belcher (1)
    Grixis Delver Death's Shadow (1) [Budget manabase reasons]
    BUG Delver
    Burn (Several)
    Miracles (Several)

Would you say that Counterbalance would be preferable against this meta?

My current list:

Instant (17)
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Flusterstorm
    4x Force of Will
    3x Predict
    4x Swords to Plowshares

Creature (6)
    3x Monastery Mentor
    3x Snapcaster Mage

Enchantment (3)
    1x Search for Azcanta
    2x Counterbalance

Sorcery (11)
    4x Ponder
    4x Portent
    3x Terminus

Planeswalker (3)
    3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Land (20)
    1x Arid Mesa
    4x Flooded Strand
    6x Island
    3x Plains
    4x Scalding Tarn
    2x Tundra

Sideboard
    1x Containment Priest
    2x Council's Judgment
    3x Disenchant
    1x Entreat the Angels
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Search for Azcanta
    1x Spell Pierce
    1x Supreme Verdict
    2x Surgical Extraction
    2x Vendilion Clique

I've also considered going up on 1 mana interaction such as Path to Exile or Spell Pierce and running the 4th Snapcaster Mage.

Any thoughts or advice on the main deck/side board?

Thanks a bunch!
    With lots of burn and control mirrors i think CB is good. I think you may need a few more white grind cards to have a chance versus the red control decks. Turn 2 CB can take you there but generally redblasts own all your CA cards. I like entreat of the board as it's hard to deal with. However into plays into their flusterstorm post board. Maybe you can afford to run Gideon as well? It dodges both red blast and fluster.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Minniehajj View Post
    Luke had only 5 islands, not 6. The decklist was wrong
    Now thats interesting - and makes that decklist make more sense. Any way to get WotC to actually correct the coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by WThomas View Post
    What were his thoughts on Soothsaying in other MUs?

I'm interested with the idea of playing it but also skeptical, it seems too slow verse Grixis Delver and poor verse G/Bx decks, or am I under valuing the card?
    He's on this forum, you can just PM him, why go thru me? Long story short, he's favoring Soothsaying over Search. He just likes the interaction of Soothsaying + CB a lot. You're right, other than lucky blind flips, it's most likely too slow against Grixis Delver opponent, the value of running this is more evident against Czech pile.

Got 2nd in a decent sized 6 round tournament to win a Moat. First place was a Mox Emerald, so I was a little bummed. Moat is nice because I'll actually play with it at some point. Here is the list, might do a report if I'm bored in the future.

// 61 Maindeck
    // 6 Creature
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Monastery Mentor

// 21 Instant
    4 Predict
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Path to Exile
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    4 Force of Will

// 20 Land
    1 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    2 Field of Ruin
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Scalding Tarn
    5 Island
    3 Plains
    1 Arid Mesa

// 3 Planeswalker
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

// 11 Sorcery
    4 Ponder
    3 Portent
    3 Terminus
    1 Council's Judgment

// 15 Sideboard
    // 1 Artifact
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives

// 4 Creature
    SB: 3 Meddling Mage
    SB: 1 Vendilion Clique

// 1 Enchantment
    SB: 1 Blood Moon

// 6 Instant
    SB: 2 Pyroblast
    SB: 1 Abrade
    SB: 1 Disenchant
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction

// 1 Land
    SB: 1 Mountain

// 2 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Supreme Verdict

Hi everyone,

I was attending a 90 people tournament this weekend, playing for the first time this deck.

My list:

1 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    5 Island
    2 Plains
    3 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Search for Azcanta
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Counterspell
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Entreat the Angels
    1 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    4 Ponder
    3 Portent
    2 Predict
    1 Preordain
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Supreme Verdict
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Terminus

SB:
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Celestial Purge
    2 Disenchant
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Sudden Shock
    1 Supreme Verdict
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Vendilion Clique

Below the report of my matches:

1) Grixis Delver
    1-2- He don't play well so he is hitting Terminus and other removal spells too easily
    1-0

2) Infect
    1- Lack of removal and loss counter war against nexus strategy. All other creatures are not a problem but I loose to nexus.
    2- Sudden shock is key against Nexus and other creatures.
    3- Nexus*3 on his side, lack of counter to protect my swords from multiple vine and his fow. No sideboard cards hit and I made mistakes when sideboarding (should enter +1 clique and +1 pyro)
    1-1

3) Lands
    1- He is going to 4 life after a great game, I Jace a marit lage (force him to do it in my main phase) but multiple maze prevent me from killing him. Lack b2b maindeck and CB don't work to counter multiple loam and he kill me with molten. I failed to find my removals (council and explo) in time.
    2- He is too slow once I surgical Loam, I kill with entreat.
    3- Not many time left, I have to hurry, surgical loam again and going for a quick entreat despite his maze, was close from a draw because of multiple maze next turn.
    2-1

4) Lands
    1- Too quick for me, T1 mox Loam, CB always fails to counter loam even with brainstorm, lack b2b maindeck
    2- Same start for him almost, T1 exploration, I fow, T2 loam and he find quickly a mox. I don't have my sideboard cards (disenchant*2, surgical*2, b2b*2) nor explosive and after too many turns I finally put in play b2b but he have a forest and a mox. He ghost quarter my plains and kill me with tracker and molten. I can't find a Sword neither despite many many cantrips.
    2-2

5) Grixis Delver
    1- Too quick for me, and he manage to counter my Terminus, I can't counter back.
    2- He counter again my Terminus but I waited him with Verdict this time after and it's the game.
    3- He plays more slowly this time, in play he was left with a pyromancer, making a significant number of tokens (4). I am still high in life at 11. I assemble Jace and Entreat with him having 3 cards in hand the first turn of Turns. I created 3 angels because I was thinking he may have a Fow and a Pierce in hand, so I keep 2 mana open to counter back. In fact no counter and he plays a gurmag, a shaman and another pyro on his turn. He is at 16 and attack me with pyro and tokens putting me at 8. Turn 3 now, I draw Terminus so I am wondering if I play a draw because he have many damage on the table. I evaluate the damage, it should be fine but very close. I attack with 1 angel, and cast gideon after Brainstorm with Jace (was searching for a sword it may be a mistake according to spectators, I should have bounce back the Gurmag). I make a 2/2. He activate shaman eot and on his last turn attack with everything putting me at 3 after blocks, activate shaman I am on 1. My last turn I attack with the 3 angels making the 12 damage.
    3-2

6) BUG Nemesis
    1- Terminus and Jace are very strong
    2- Terminus, more verdicts, pyro and Jace are very strong
    I don't really fear HTT, with predict I can recover pretty quickly, this card is key against HTT strategies.
    4-2

7) 4c control
    1- He beat me down with 2 baleful strix, I explosives them but I am low on life at 10. He manage to make great CA with kolaghan and bringing baleful back, despite me countering the first, he is doing same thing next turn. After he kill my Jace with snap and kolaghan.
    2- More counters help, but he is also playing pyroblast so my Jace don't resolve neither. CB are useless, hitting his decays. I manage to finally put a Jace and assemble entreat a few turns later after him double fow my Gideon.
    3- only 5 minutes left, draw.
    4-1-2

For a first time it was not that bad, but I feel weird about CB. Was good against Grixis but it seems not that mandatory. Some opponent spells I countered with CB was not very relevant to the game.
    Gideon was not good enough, I can't protect him, even against 4c control and strix/bolt/kolaghan.
    Search is too many times irrelevant, hitting decay most of the time or being useless against many matchups. I feel like I can win without it, even if I really enjoy to play it.
    I miss Back to Basics maindeck for Lands. I feel like it's quiet hard to win against loam and ghost quarter strategy without it.

I will try next time to not play CB, play more counters instead (counterspell, fluster) and to also play Mentors instead of Gideon. Also brings maindeck B2B instead of Search, going down to 2 Tundra.

What do you think ?

Was reading the dragon stompy thread and apparently new karn shits all over miracles if it resolves. Frankly, I don't really have much trouble believing this, as it seems to work similarly to Nissa Vital Force. I'm expecting to see this show in in MUD as a probable 4 of (in a matchup that was already pretty poor) as well as potentially in Eldrazi. We have any plan to deal with it besides not letting it resolve / additional copies of council's judgment?

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuri117 View Post
    Was reading the dragon stompy thread and apparently new karn shits all over miracles if it resolves. Frankly, I don't really have much trouble believing this, as it seems to work similarly to Nissa Vital Force. I'm expecting to see this show in in MUD as a probable 4 of (in a matchup that was already pretty poor) as well as potentially in Eldrazi. We have any plan to deal with it besides not letting it resolve / additional copies of council's judgment?
    I've just read the thread too, they just said it was good vs Miracles once? I don't see the 'shits all over if it resolves'. Karn is a strong card, I expect it to be played a bit in Legacy, but I don't really see it as being any more threatening than Chandra so if they're cutting her for Karns I'm happy. Countermagic, Council's Judgment (2) and Mentor (3) are my answers to planeswalkers.

Boiyayoiyayoing
    Mar 2012
    SoCal, USA

Off the current topic of how to beat Dragon Stompy:

Has anyone tried From the Ashes in place of Back to Basics or Blood Moon? Seems good against the current greedy manabases, albeit possibly narrow. Its also expensive to cast.
    Whack lists currently playing:
    Rector Nic Fit
    Bizarro Stormy
    Rest In Pieces

I'm curious if anyone has tried using Teferi, Hero of Dominaria in any lists? I am optimistic that he could be a 1 or 2 of in some lists. Perhaps running him with more straight counterspells to better utilize his plus ability, or predicts, since his minus ability seems to jive nicely with the predict miracles build. He also has a game ending ultimate. Thoughts?

Thread Information