Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Re: [Primer] UWx Miracle Control

Excellent post It is Unfair!

Originally was gonna post this on the Reddit post but I figured this is a better platform for discussion.

One thing I'd like more detail on if you're able to elaborate is the section on RiP. Your arguments seem to boil down to 1) Reanimator is too fast for RiP to matter, 2) BUGx graveyard decks or mongoose decks are not as prevalent as they were before, 3) Lands brings in Grip so Surgical is better, and 4) the dissynergy with Snapcaster is too much to overcome.

As far as 1 goes, a single RiP in an otherwise clunky opener does fold to a fast draw from Reanimator. But those aren't really the hands you should keep: it's better to treat Reanimator as a Storm deck where you need Force and then have secondary answers like Canonist to lock it up. You wouldn't keep a Forceless hand against Storm with only a canonist, and you shouldn't keep only RiP hands against Reanimator. Also, Reanimator is far less prevalent than Lands in the last few months, which I'll address later. Surgical is definitely far superior to RiP in this matchup though, I'll agree.

For #2, I disagree with this wholeheartedly and this is the crux of my argument in favor of RiP. Czech Pile is the single most prevalent deck online and still widespread in paper, and it gets seriously hosed by RiP. With a RiP in play their Deathrites, Snapcasters, delve threats, and Kess if they play it are all neutralized. Random 1/2s and 2/1s get ignored or swept up easily so that means you literally only have to worry about 2 Leovold and 2 Jace, maybe 1 Liliana if they have it. The fact that they are a Deathrite deck and also a much better Snapcaster deck than you are means RiP is a house. This is, in my mind, the main reason to play RiP. Most lists only have a single Decay and maybe a Golgari Charm in their 75 to answer it.

Point #3 makes sense but I honestly like both cards for different reasons in the matchup. RiP, even if immediately Gripped, at least acts as a Relic and deals with whatever is going on at the current moment. Even if I knew all my RiPs would be removed instantly I'd still be able to time them to eat a few loams, a few combo pieces or fires, etc. And of course if left unanswered it is very easy to win with a RiP out. Surgical is really good at cutting off one specific line of play, be it Fire or Depths, but today's decks have lots of backup plans including Tracker and sometimes a manland. Loam is obviously the best Surgical target but they often have ways to save it with Thickets, and good lands players don't expose their Loam to Surgical often. So again RiP plays the role of "permanent hate that needs to be answered" while still generating some advantage even if answered, and Surgical fills the reactive role of answering something once. I view them like Canonist/Fluster against Storm.

The 4th point about dissynergy with Snapcaster is something I agree with and I would try to avoid if possible, but I've recently come to a more developed viewpoint. There was an article a while back about why "nonbos" aren't necessarily to be avoided at all costs. In the matchups where Snap is good and RiP isn't, you leave RiPs out, and vice versa. But in the matchups where both are good, you have to play kind of carefully around the dissynergy. Usually I'd burn a Snapcaster early on to flashback a cantrip before I play Rest In Peace, or use my RiP as a bait spell if I'm sure it'll be countered/answered then set up Snapcaster later. As a heavy cantrip deck you have ways to get rid of the cards if they're situationally bad as well. If you do have the utter misfortune of having a resolved RiP that's unanswered and draw a Snap with no way to get rid of it, it's still a 2/1 flash and in the matchups where your opponent is crippled by RiP that's probably good enough. Against Czech Pile Snapcaster is one of your best cards, but under a RiP a lot of their stuff is less scary so you can afford to have a shittier Snapcaster in exchange for turning off a large portion of their threats.

Anyway, props for the awesome in-depth FAQ and thanks in advance for any discussion that can be had!

You are correct that I had to write some shorter answers to most of the questions. And I agree that this is a good place to maybe go into depth on those worth discussing more. I also like how you structured your post, it makes a discussion easier.

I may have been a bit harsh on RIP, I mostly don't like how some people seem to play it as the only graveyard hate.

Regarding comparing reanimator against storm. I think reanimator is a lot faster than storm on average, at least one whole turn, especially RB. So I value turn 0 interaction much higher in that matchup than I do against storm. I also think they are much worse at playing the longer game, so if I just survive a few turns I can fall back on cards like snapcaster and counterspells, maybe even CB or such depending on the list. This is the main matchup I really wanted hate against a few months ago, but maybe the meta is changing? A let's change could certainly be a reason to change the hate around.

Still on the topic of reanimator, if you however play both than yes it is good, it can close out the game on the same way as CB could. But is it better than containment priest here as the secondary hate? I'm unsure, and priest had some valuable applications against sneak & show, also, I do think playing all three of these is over kill and requires to many slots.

I do like how GY hate for value functions in the pile matchup. I have cast Ground Seal against them with other decks in the past and that was very good. On the other hand it is slow, and needs to stop multiple cards before you get back the card advantage, so of they just curve out with hymn->Leovold I would feel kind of had about drawing this. I'm not going to say it is bad here, because it obviously isn't. I'm just not convinced that it is really the best sideboard card we could have of we wanted something that was "anti pile". I could very well be wrong there though. I have in the past played rip or relic of progenitus for these decks but it was quite a while ago, maybe it is time to revisit that idea.

Regarding noboes I also like that article, and your are correct that I should probably have addressed that or mentioned how this is maybe not that big? Also the cantrips point you bring up is certainly correct. It is just the fact that I value snapcaster as one of our best cards in grindy matchups, as one of the primary ways to recuperate value after a hymn or refuse a CJ on Leovold and such. But maybe I value out to highly? I do like the idea of playing to the board against hymn decks in general, it makes it so that if we do gain advantages they are more robust and easier to keep.

Hi everyone!

i'am new to miracles in the current form and still trying to find a list that fits my playstyle the most. It seems like there are two different lists that perform quiet well, one with usually 2 entreat and 2 search for azcanta and one with 4 snapcaster and 3 mentors. The lists with entreat usually are splashing red for blasteffects in the sideboard to deal with jace, snapcaster, the lists with mentor are usually straight UW and try to play a more proactive game.
    The decklists with entreat sometimes seem to be a little bit light on outs to chalice since they can randomly win games with entreat against chalice-decks. Mentor is more depending to actually casting and resolving spells so they usually have 2 answers main and another 2 in the board.
    As "It is unfair" wrote in his excellent primer red cards like pyroclasm-effects usually involve playing a basic mountain which has its disadvantages too. To me, that is just to much investment for this type of effects. Blasteffects are obv. great but every nonbasic-land makes you more vulnerable to wasteland. even in a deck with jsut 3 nonbasics, i lost severall games to wasteland, especially against delver or d'nt.
    Cards like Counterbalance don't seem to be as accepted, although the effect is still quiet powerful. In theory Counterbalance should be most powerful in the lists involving Mentors. I found it really powerful against basically all decks revolving around Brainstorm and Ponder so all Delver-Decks, Pile and most Combodecks.
    This is my current decklist:

3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Monastery Mentor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Portent
    3 Predict
    4 Force of will
    2 Counterspell
    1 Flusterstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Terminus
    1 Councils Judgement
    1 Unexpectadly Absent
    3 Jace, the Mindsculptor
    2 Counterbalance
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Scalding tarn
    2 Arid Mesa
    3 Tundra
    6 Island
    2 Plains

Sideboard
    3 Vendilion Clique
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Back to basics
    2 Disenchant
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Search for Azcanta
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Countainment Priest

as of now, i'm not that happy with the cliques since most decks with jace play balefulstrix too these days. Against Combo, most of the time it is crucial to find a fast clock, so in there matchups the cliques really shine. Against Jace the Cliques are quiet strong too and a good answer when you don't have blastseffects available but these are still up for testing.
    I would be very interested in the current list from it is unfair, and of course the experiance with the different lists of everyone else too;)

Quote Originally Posted by Wurst_ View Post
    Hi everyone!

i'am new to miracles in the current form and still trying to find a list that fits my playstyle the most. It seems like there are two different lists that perform quiet well, one with usually 2 entreat and 2 search for azcanta and one with 4 snapcaster and 3 mentors. The lists with entreat usually are splashing red for blasteffects in the sideboard to deal with jace, snapcaster, the lists with mentor are usually straight UW and try to play a more proactive game.
    The decklists with entreat sometimes seem to be a little bit light on outs to chalice since they can randomly win games with entreat against chalice-decks. Mentor is more depending to actually casting and resolving spells so they usually have 2 answers main and another 2 in the board.
    As "It is unfair" wrote in his excellent primer red cards like pyroclasm-effects usually involve playing a basic mountain which has its disadvantages too. To me, that is just to much investment for this type of effects. Blasteffects are obv. great but every nonbasic-land makes you more vulnerable to wasteland. even in a deck with jsut 3 nonbasics, i lost severall games to wasteland, especially against delver or d'nt.
    Cards like Counterbalance don't seem to be as accepted, although the effect is still quiet powerful. In theory Counterbalance should be most powerful in the lists involving Mentors. I found it really powerful against basically all decks revolving around Brainstorm and Ponder so all Delver-Decks, Pile and most Combodecks.

Sideboard
    3 Vendilion Clique
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Back to basics
    2 Disenchant
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Search for Azcanta
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Countainment Priest

as of now, i'm not that happy with the cliques since most decks with jace play balefulstrix too these days. Against Combo, most of the time it is crucial to find a fast clock, so in there matchups the cliques really shine. Against Jace the Cliques are quiet strong too and a good answer when you don't have blastseffects available but these are still up for testing.
    I would be very interested in the current list from it is unfair, and of course the experiance with the different lists of everyone else too;)
    To address each of your points:
    1. 2 entreat and 2 search for azcanta
    This is not correct. To be specific, Daniel Miller started the 2 EtA + 2 CB + 2 B2B, with Mountain http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=17612&d=309110&f=LE . This is very specific to his play style and it runs zero Search. The jury for Search is still out there. If you are committed to Search, then you're probably committed to Predict. If you're committed to both Search and Predict, it would make a lot of sense to run multiple Mentors MD. While it's fine to experiment with Search, as seen here http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=17702&d=309671&f=LE , I don't believe 2 EtA and 2 Search pairing is definite or optimal at this point in time.

2. The Wasteland argument and r splash
    This losing to wasteland argument is weak, when considering R splash or not. When Decay was at its peak, people still run 4 CB. The argument of "I would lose to card X so I don't run card Y" is just not a convincing one. I would argue that R is more important than ever. Before Leovold, Red Splash can already save you from opposing Jace, TNN on stack. Now Red splash can actually Free your Ponder and cantrips when opponent has Leovold in play.

Fundamentally, if you keep losing to Wasteland, run more lands, run more blue Cantrips, fetch Basics even though rest of your hand encourages you to get that 2nd U or 2nd W via Tundra. I doubt getting Waste out of a game is a direct causality of splashing R.

3. To CB or not CB
    This argument is very theoretical, and I don't want to go too in-depth. Here's the shorter version: if you MD 3~4 Mentors, CB is probably not integral to your game plan.

4. Your SB
    I don't understand the one Leyline. I might be able to overlook 2 Leylines setup. If I intend to run that card, I would start with 3 in the SB, and then trim if appropriate.

5. Clique
    As we know, Clique is great against combo. What exactly is Clique's role in fair deck MUs? Well, a well-time Clique can take away SFM's activation. Also, many BUG decks now have Jace in their SB. Clique is one of few evasion creatures that can get to opponent's Jace and/or Liliana. Again, using Strix as the argument is weak. For all we know, Clique might just die immediately upon resolving, but you have to try if your opponent has a Jace or Liliana in play. Most opponents would SB-out creature removal against Miracles in SB games, hence Clique performs better against sloppy opponents, like the ones who would send Leovold into attack.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    To address each of your points:
    1. 2 entreat and 2 search for azcanta
    This is not correct. To be specific, Daniel Miller started the 2 EtA + 2 CB + 2 B2B, with Mountain http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=17612&d=309110&f=LE . This is very specific to his play style and it runs zero Search. The jury for Search is still out there. If you are committed to Search, then you're probably committed to Predict. If you're committed to both Search and Predict, it would make a lot of sense to run multiple Mentors MD. While it's fine to experiment with Search, as seen here http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=17702&d=309671&f=LE , I don't believe 2 EtA and 2 Search pairing is definite or optimal at this point in time.
    I don't understand this reasoning at all. Either you want predict and a bunch of cantrips (and UA). In that shell you will make sure you know what's on top of your deck and therefore play well with terminus and EtA and to a certain degree counterbalance. Pedict also offers another way to instantly draw a card to trigger Terminus (and EtA).
    If you run Azcanta you will seldom know what's on top of your deck (except when it's not flipped, and then you will only know in your upkeep) since you will put the other 3 cards on bottom. But you will be better at digging for silverbullet cards to put into your hand. Also with Azcanta the need for predict goes down as you have another card engine. To me Azcanta would seem to work better with silverbullets that are played from the hand, such as loads of instant speed removal and counters. For that reason i think Azcanta is actually better in a Grixis/kcommand Shell than in a UWx Shell.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    I don't understand this reasoning at all. Either you want predict and a bunch of cantrips (and UA). In that shell you will make sure you know what's on top of your deck and therefore play well with terminus and EtA and to a certain degree counterbalance. Pedict also offers another way to instantly draw a card to trigger Terminus (and EtA).
    If you run Azcanta you will seldom know what's on top of your deck (except when it's not flipped, and then you will only know in your upkeep) since you will put the other 3 cards on bottom. But you will be better at digging for silverbullet cards to put into your hand. Also with Azcanta the need for predict goes down as you have another card engine. To me Azcanta would seem to work better with silverbullets that are played from the hand, such as loads of instant speed removal and counters. For that reason i think Azcanta is actually better in a Grixis/kcommand Shell than in a UWx Shell.
    Search for Azcanta and Counterbalance sparked my interest in the deck once again and I've been trying a lot of different versions last couple of weeks. Search is a lategame card that let us compete with the other durdly decks of the format. I Think it belongs in either shell as it's just about drawing cards, regardless of what those cards are. I would like to Point out that the Sunken ruin is a great way to set up ETA if your deck is 3-4 cards :-)

I am not sure about Counterbalance but I like it so far... Both ETA and Mentor suck maindeck but both belongs in the 75. It's probably unreasonable to have all the wincons in the sideboard so we'll see...

Predict, snapcaster, search, portent and counterspell all belong in my deck but I need to figure out the numbers.

Oh, and Null rod in the board is fantastic. If you don't run Rod I think relic of progenitus is a must have moving forward do have the snapcaster/search advantage aswell as hosing dredge/reanimator/lands.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

I've found that it doesn't really matter about synergy or not when it comes to Search, it's not really its purpose. The cuter you get and more silver bullets you include the weaker your deck will be overall. Why it's so great in this deck is because we're the best draw go deck in the format. Once flipped Search will find what you need, either off the activation or from cantrips and this feeds into the other engines. Search and Predict can coincide fine, currently I'm playing two of each and really happy with them. I'd hazard against cutting lower than these two Predicts for ways to draw Terminus at instant speed if anything, but alongside two copies of Counterbalance and the two Searches, card advantage hasn't been an issue.

This is what I'm playing right now and quite happy with.

3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Entreat the Angels
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Portent
    2 Predict
    2 Search for Azcanta
    2 Counterbalance

4 Terminus
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    1 Council's Judgment

3 Tundra
    3 Volc
    4 Island
    2 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 blue fetch
    1 Arid Mesa

SB
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Monastery Mentor
    1 Councils Judgment
    1 Disenchant
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Vendilion Clique
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Regarding which shell, it's entirely possible Grixis shell is better than UWx shell, I haven't test that so I don't know.

Regarding Search, most of time, if you actually get to flip the enchantment, I consider that you have navigated the early game and you're at least in parity against your opponent. That's usually not how you lose the game. In other words, if you get to almost-impulse at opponent's EOT, I would say you've weathered the scary part already. Your paragraph seems to focus on the flipped land, while I am not. What about the MUs in which flipped land won't even last, like DnT or Lands? What if you need an immediate answer mid-game say Leovold, and you top-deck a Search?

Regarding Search for Azcanta, i think the card is quiet powerful but somewhat polarized in its performance. It usually is a quiet bad topdeck and, depending on the matchup it is either crazy strong, like against 4c leovold, or really bad, like against d'nt, lands and most of the time against delver-decks as well. When your gameplan works it should be the only nonbasic in play if you manage to flip it so you won't get more than one activation out of it. The problem i have with those type of cards is, that miracles as an archtype is somewhat polarized since you have a huge set of cards that is either great in a matchup or really bad. This biggest problem with miracles seems to be the consistancy so i currently prefer cards that are maybe less powerful, but better in a wider field of matchups. I guess you could say that about counterbalance too, but it currently seems to work better for me. Also i absolutly twndomn is right that if you get to activate a flipped search multiple times you propably managed the scary part already. I do like the 2 Predict, 2 Search split that whitefaces suggested and will try that.

to all tha stuff that twndomn wrote: sure there is that one list from daniel miller that plays enreat, balance and btb maindeck but when you look at the mtgo-metagame from the last 2 weeks, and the results from the european-scene, what i said is correct. Regarding my reasoning about beeing more vulnerable to wasteland when playing more nonbasicslands all your arguments seem to be rather weak. The Problem is usually not that you get screwed by getting wasted once but more that you no longer can play around cards like spell pierce or daze and sometimes loose to those cards. According to your reasoning it seems like playing more nonbasics comes with no downside at all, since you just can play more fetches/lands which seems to be absolute garbage from my point of view.
    About the Leyline, i get that 1 leyline seems strange and you are probably right that it should be either zero or at least 2. i wanted one more permanent card that is good against discard besides balance but didn't want another balance in the sideboard so i choose a leyline for that slot.
    About the Cliques i don't get your reasoning at all. Sure Clique is still good vs Jace and Combo but still the amount of baleful strix that gets played is still a problem. especially vs 4c leovold where you need a good answer to jace, you can't always count on clique to do the job since there usually is a strix in your way which would be a good argument for playing the red splash again if you have trouble beating jace in that matchup.

With Monastery Mentor moving to the SB, which match-ups are you guys bringing him in for?

I will play my old 4 predict/2 ua today but will try whitefaces 2predict/2 azcanta/1 CJ/1 extra counterspell next time.

May 2016
    Portland, OR

Can someone explain Search for Azcanta to me. Obviously I can read the card, I know what it does. What I'm seeing is a card that puts you down until you've invested 2+4 mana into it. Why would I want to play this over predicts or Counterbalance, which seem much better tempo plays? Unless you're expecting a bunch of very grindy games (mirror and Czech). I assume, of course, you're not all idiots and this card is good, so I would very much appreciate a clear explanation of why.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by phg22 View Post
    Can someone explain Search for Azcanta to me. Obviously I can read the card, I know what it does. What I'm seeing is a card that puts you down until you've invested 2+4 mana into it. Why would I want to play this over predicts or Counterbalance, which seem much better tempo plays? Unless you're expecting a bunch of very grindy games (mirror and Czech). I assume, of course, you're not all idiots and this card is good, so I would very much appreciate a clear explanation of why.
    It really is a case of you need to try it I think, I completely breaks open midrange/control matchups and if unanswered will take over a game. I was skeptical but optimistic at the beginning, but it's overperformed. Flipping into a land is very relevant a lot of the time too, we're a mana hungry deck with a lot of things to do with it.
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

I feel like search has 3 modes:

1. Comes down and is a crappy top every turn (which honestly isn't bad)
    2. Flips into an extra land (sorta like a mana dork/enchantment)
    3. A slightly worse impulse every turn (which typically wins you the game).

It's surprisingly useful in mode 1 by filtering an otherwise clunky deck. Mode 2 is typically timed so that you can utilize the extra mana that turn, even if it gets wastelanded afterwards. Mode 3 is just gravy--it only happens in the late game, but you get so many extra looks to find answers/win-cons that you just take over the game in about 2-3 turns. I'll keep search unflipped for large parts of the game if I don't need the mana and just want to keep filtering my draws, especially if their deck has wastelands.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Miracles took first and second of the last MTGO Challenge - https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2017-12-11

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Playing catch up since the rise of Search for Azcanta is getting me back into magic a bit (took a break after top got banned).

I've got 2 questions about Null Rod that I'm seeing in the board now:
    1) What matchup(s) are you bringing it in for?
    2) Why Null Rod over Stony Silence?

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Playing catch up since the rise of Search for Azcanta is getting me back into magic a bit (took a break after top got banned).

I've got 2 questions about Null Rod that I'm seeing in the board now:
    1) What matchup(s) are you bringing it in for?
    2) Why Null Rod over Stony Silence?
    1) Storm and DnT are the big ones, but there's also stuff like Eldrazi Post, Belcher, Blade decks among some others where it's useful. It's a pretty high impact card in the matchups you want it. Personally I'm not playing one right now, but there's a lot of merit to it.

2) As it's mainly for Storm and DnT, Storm you mostly turn into a URw deck so might bet fetching a Volc over a Tundra early to blast a cantrip. DnT you only want to fetch basics and might not have a W one available. Vs both their answer for cards like this don't care if it's an Artifact or Enchantment.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    1) Storm and DnT are the big ones, but there's also stuff like Eldrazi Post, Belcher, Blade decks among some others where it's useful. It's a pretty high impact card in the matchups you want it. Personally I'm not playing one right now, but there's a lot of merit to it.

2) As it's mainly for Storm and DnT, Storm you mostly turn into a URw deck so might bet fetching a Volc over a Tundra early to blast a cantrip. DnT you only want to fetch basics and might not have a W one available. Vs both their answer for cards like this don't care if it's an Artifact or Enchantment.
    It’s also better vs all is dust from big eldrazi.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    It’s also better vs all is dust from big eldrazi.
    Good point!

Doesn't stop Newmrakul though

Thread Information