Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Jan 2017
    London

Re: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    K. Return: 80% of the times it is at least as good as a Terminus or when it follows a Brainstorm it leads you to the final attack with Mentor

Spyglass: it allows you to block Chandra and Ugin under Chalice. Life saver.

Disenchant is the only card MD that gets you out of Bloodmoon with 1 Plains. Check other lists and find 1 card that does the same

Priest and Canonist: great absent, yes.

Canonist is somehow dealt with Flusterstorm, FoW and Counterbalance
    Priest is just a great miss. Possibly -1 Purge -1 Spyglass +2 Priest
    Engineered Explosives only needs one plains to kill blood moon ;)

Yes that spot can definitely be an E.E

It is better also to kill Counterbalance in the mirror

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

But does Blood Moon even hurt? Blood moon against a deck which plays blood moon itself.
    I probably play explosives with only 2 colors. It's so felxible and kills chalice and tokens.

turn 0 Blood Moon is a super problem, yes. Overall if followed by a turn 2 or 3 threath and you are out of white

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Has anyone considered Brightling over Mentor as a secondary win con?

I'm on UW, think the Jim Davis list, and just ordered Brightlings to test. Slightly slower clock but impossible to kill? Lifelink seems super relevant and I think Brightling is better late game when you don't have extra spells to feed mentor.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

IMHO this deck wants to ambush.. Entreat is super but Mentor’s explosivity can close the game in 2 turns Brightling would need tons of white mana to deal very little damage

I would rather test further Archangel Avacyn. Her flip is as good as a Terminus, has flash and can be bounced back with Karakas in a Legendary build with Clique and Venser

1 Venser
    1 Avacyn
    3 Clique
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Entreat

3 Jace

2 Karakas
    1 Cavern of Soul into Wizard
    2 Search for Azcanta

Sure you lose B2B, Blood Moon and From the Ashes..which is relevant

We might either go the UW way and play 3 Karakas a la DnT or simply stay basic and play 3 colors.

I am positive the best is to go Jeskay, but this deck totally needs a new tool. Like a flashy planeswalker or a new Mentor level threath
    Last edited by Poron; 06-25-2018 at 08:25 AM.

So I traded all of my Legacy Infect cards to make a tier 1 Yugioh deck for this season, and now I am shifting it back to MTG. I do not have Volcanic Islands, so for now I am going to be building a UW version. I am sure that this can take advantage of Back to Basics better than other builds, so that will be in the side deck. I want it to be more aggro, and based on Monastery Mentor.

It looks like 3 Jace is standard. Is this the case? Last time I played Miracles, 2 was fine alongside Mentor. If this has changed, let me know. It also looks like builds are running Entreat alongside Mentor. Is there a good reason for this?

Here is what I am thinking, please tell me what I should change if there are many suboptimal choices:

Lands: 20

4x Tundra
    4x Polluted Delta
    4x Flooded Strand
    1x Windswept Heath (Feels odd, but it's what is in front of me.)
    4x Island
    3x Plains

Creatures/Plainswalkers: 9

2x Jace, The Mind Sculptor
    4x Monastery Mentor
    3x Snapcaster Mage

Other: 31

4x Force of Will
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Terminus
    4x Ponder
    3x Preordain
    3x Counterbalance (I have seen 2 being played. I will cut the 3rd for something recommended if there are good options)
    2x Predict
    1x Council's Judgement
    1x Engineered Explosives
    1x Counterspell

Side Deck: 15

3x Surgical Extraction
    3x Flusterstorm
    3x Vendilion Clique
    3x Back To Basics
    2x Disenchant
    1x Council's Judgment

Let me know what you guys think, and what you would change.

Super consistent.

I just wonder why Preordain over Portent and only 1 Counterspell in a world of Kolaghan’s Command and Hymn to Tourach.. additionally I have found Kozilek Return to be so good with Mentor that I can’t play one without the other.

EOT Brainstorm into K.Return and you win in that moment 50% of the times (Czech Pile, Grixis, DnT they all lose so many creatures to this)

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Super consistent.

I just wonder why Preordain over Portent and only 1 Counterspell in a world of Kolaghan’s Command and Hymn to Tourach.. additionally I have found Kozilek Return to be so good with Mentor that I can’t play one without the other.

EOT Brainstorm into K.Return and you win in that moment 50% of the times (Czech Pile, Grixis, DnT they all lose so many creatures to this)
    Idk about Portent because it is more of a delayed gratification thing. I am sure that it is fine, and it lets you dig deeper than Preordain. If Preordain is out classed by Portent in this deck, then I would just straight up replace the two.

As far as the second Counterspell goes, it felt funny just playing 1. I would try to fit a second one in there by either taking out a Counterbalance or a Ponder.

3 Counterbalance means you see it more, and Counterbalance wins games on its own. If they don't have an answer, they lose. At least that is how it was when I played it. By no means am I saying that what I think is more relevant than what you think because I have not played the game in a while. So if this reasoning is incorrect or flawed, let me know. But the way I am thinking right now is that Counterbalance is a card that wins, and so you would want to see it over Counterspell, which just helps stall until you see a win condition.

Ponder is a consistency card, and so it really feels like that should stay. This deck is playing 4 Mentor, and I have seen most of the decks on here and the ones that are doing well are playing 3. So I have effectively increased the amount of win conditions in the deck to more than usual. It is this reasoning that I think that Counterbalance is the better card to cut because Ponder is a card that directly helps Mentor.

So the modifications I see so far are:

-1 Counterbalance
    +1 Counterspell

Maybe -3 Preordain
    Maybe +3 Portent

[DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Counterbalance is not the powerhouse it used to be. It's more of a hymn (randomly counters a spell or two) that sometimes turn into chalice (if you ponder and leave a onedrop on top) or counterspell (with brainstorm). Counterbalance in multiple are pretty bad however, only possibly shining when you have fetches or predicts.
    I do however believe that miracle should aim to be rather proactive, which both mentor, CB and jace is. Another card that is proactive is back to basics. If you dont run red you can maindeck it (and make some money off your fourth tundra)

I have been testing this deck a little back again.

No chance in modern meta without main deck serious land hate.

2 Blood Moon and many basics with no WW spells. Here is he reason why it is completely out of every top 8

Other decks have super card advantage (be it real, Hymn and Command or Virtual like Chalice and Ensnaring Bridge) while we only have mediocre Predict and Jace which dies to REBs which is played by 80% of the format.

No real chance without maindeck Blood Moon in my opinion.. that plus Terminus/K.Return can close matches quite fast

Apr 2016
    Germnay

I played Miracles last sunday and become 7th with 4-2

//Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Glacial Fortress
    5 Island
    1 Marsh Flats
    3 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Tundra

//Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Counterbalance
    2 Counterspell
    1 Entreat the Angels
    4 Force of Will
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Ponder
    3 Portent
    3 Predict
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
    3 Terminus
    1 Unexpectedly Absent

//Creatures
    3 Monastery Mentor
    3 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
    SB: 2 Back to Basics
    SB: 1 Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Council's Judgment
    SB: 2 Disenchant
    SB: 1 Supreme Verdict
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Vendilion Clique
    SB: 1 Leyline of Sanctity

1. Round: 2-0 Mirror; with a red difference. Won the value game and had better answers along. With one Mentor more and different boarding plan I could win.
    2. Round: 2-1 Maverick; with 3 Planeswalkers a pretty hard match. Lost one against Gideon and Elspeth. The other games I had good answers while back to basics does its thing.
    3. Round: Steel Stompy 1-2; against the master of luck. lost one game against 3 karn scion of urza and the other one I had nothing although he didn't have chalice.
    4. Round: MUD 2-1; lost against Ugin one game. The other ones I won with Back to basics and unexpectedly absent, creating time walks.
    5. Round: Dredge 2-1; dredge wins game 1 nothing to say. Game 2 he can't remoove containment priest. Game 3 the deck lost against itself.
    6. Round: Elves 1-2; Game 1 I won on 1 life after Createrhoof attack I chain cantrips and counter attack for 15 with mentor. Game 2&3 I was always one turn to slow. Terminus stucked on my hand and couldn't setup in time.

The leyline was a last minute include because nobody had stony silence nor null rod.

Ding ding ding

Shaman is now out the format and graveyard based decks (which are basically combo) will now be popular back again.

4color decks are definitely dropping green making Counterbalance better then ever. Now everyone will have to rely on lands in order to cast spells making Blood Moon as good as ever.

Time to sleeve back control to me

No deathrite no probe, we need do some changes in the 75.
    Probably moat would be good in the side, cut verdict suprem.
    maybe add 3th cs?

Apr 2016
    Germnay

I have a event upcoming at sunday. After Deathrite Shaman I expect: Show and Tell, Reanimator (mostly ub), RUG Delver (in place of grixis), Death and Taxes, Turbo Dephts, Lands, Stompy and Miracles; overall a pretty big mix. Since I own no volcanic islands at all and won't buy them, I'm back on UWb.

Deck: Dark Miracles

//Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    1 Marsh Flats
    3 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea

//Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Counterbalance
    1 Entreat the Angels
    4 Force of Will
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Ponder
    3 Predict
    3 Preordain
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Terminus
    1 Unexpectedly Absent

//Creatures
    3 Monastery Mentor
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Vendilion Clique

//Sideboard
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Disenchant
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Notion Thief
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Rest in Peace
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Zealous Persecution

show more

I cut the following main:
    Counterspell for Spell Pierce. Counterspell is rather slow and I want to be more mana efficent espacially against the combo decks. Fighting on the stack is way more easy with a one mana counter instead of the double blue.

Teferi for Clique. Teferi or the third Jace are slow to and against half the decks bad. Vendilion Clique is a nice way to hit combo a bit and pressure them.

Sideboard:
    3 Thoughtseize against the Combo and the mirror or other upcoming control decks; probably BUG or Grixis control.
    2 Zealous Persecution against DnT. They play Wasteland but a 2 mana board wipe is probably too good. I'm unsure on this choice. Maybe I cut them for Back to Basics (against stompy and lands) and Supreme Verdict.
    Notion Thief. My old signature card from my true origin; Esper Deathblade. A important piece against the mirror which I will face for sure. Against the slower Show and Tell to steal their cantrips. Show and Tell is mostly defeated after hitting Brainstorm.

I feel pretty comfortable with this list expect the Persecution. It's a good card but I need propably Back to Basics against Stompy.

In a esper construction you must find a slot for Lim-dul's vault. It can find the terminus or Entreat when you need. With counterbalance is a counterspell and you could play again with Snapcaster.

Remember: Vs combo you need find hate cards quickly and LDV do It.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Lim Duls vault is quite interesting. What would you cut ? I would cut Vendilion Clique and one Predict for 2 LDV.
    What are your thoughts on Zealous Persecution? With Vault I wouldn't need it because I can set up terminus way more easy.

I will try something like this if show and tell, reanimator ir dark depths see a lot of play:

3 vendilion clique
    3 Snapcaster mage
    1 Entreat the angels
    1 Flusterstorm
    3 Spell pierce
    2 portent
    3 Lim duls vault
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Fow
    4 Terminus
    4 Swords to plowshares
    1 Council judgement
    1 Engineered explosives
    3 Jace the mind sculptor

2 karakas
    2 underground sea
    3 tundra
    4 Island
    2 plains
    4 Flooded strand
    2 polluted delta

2 disenchant
    1 flusterstorm
    1 council judgement
    1 hydroblast
    1 beb
    2 surgical extraction
    2 nihil spellbomb
    2 B2b
    2 containment priest
    1 supreme verdict

If combo dominates predict is a bad card and i don't like CB but i might try it if miracles dominate

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Lim Duls Vault sounds pretty horrid honestly, it's slow and card disadvantage. Falls into the too cute category for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Swan Song is to be reconsidered. It counters Reanimate SnT Sneak Attack and Counterbalance

A couple of SB slots can totally be it

Thread Information