Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Re: [Primer] UWx Miracle Control

Future Sight seems like it would be good versus Storm if you could leave a counter on top of the deck. If you survive that long.

I agree that it is heavily synergistic with the deck. Is it too much mana though?

Ive recently swapped over to the mentor daze MB build from the UA build and I can deff say that it feels much more proactive and alot of the times ppl dont want you to uptap with mentor so they have to play off curve. and now that your playing daze aswell they have to maybe leave up 2 mana. so far that is what it feels like but ive only been playing at LGS and FNM and never went to time. XD since DNT and Grixis Delver has been top meta/DTB has anyone thought about running teferi's response ?

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Has anyone in this thread played much with Grixis? I'm curious to know what the perception is. I've played maybe 10-20 matches with UW and was just wondering about the other cantrip/jace deck of the format. There are obvious comparisons to draw between pyro/mentor and bolt/swords and such, but I wondered if anyone had any firsthand insights.

My experience is that's it's easy to go to time and that it's rather even. G1 it kind of revolves around who runs away with a jace. Post board pyroblasts make jace a lot worse. I do think we have an edge: Mentor is way better than peezy, STP way better than push and bolt and terminus is better than marsh casalties/whatever they run. The biggest concern is snap kcommand loops IMO.

Aug 2014
    New Jersey

So I went 4-1 in a league yesterday with counterbalance. Definitely much harder to play than regular Miracles (which was already taxing). If I can, I will try to track how many spells get countered in 4 categories: countered without me knowing the top, countered by me having prior information on what the top card was, countered using a card to set up the top, and not countering. I think then it'd be a little clearer if counterspells would be better in more instances.

Quote Originally Posted by itrytostorm View Post
    So I went 4-1 in a league yesterday with counterbalance. Definitely much harder to play than regular Miracles (which was already taxing). If I can, I will try to track how many spells get countered in 4 categories: countered without me knowing the top, countered by me having prior information on what the top card was, countered using a card to set up the top, and not countering. I think then it'd be a little clearer if counterspells would be better in more instances.
    Such statistics would be useful. Perhabs also what kind of spells were countered, eventhough that might be too much work.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

i 5-0'ed with this list today. i went 4-1,4-1,4-1,2-3 :(,5-0

dci: 1049389968
    jerko jovic
    UW miracles

Mainboard:

3 snapcaster mage

2 jace the mind sculptor

3 counterbalance
    4 ponder
    4 brainstorm
    3 portent
    4 predict
    4 swords to plowshares
    1 unexpectedly absent
    1 councils judgement
    4 terminus
    2 counterspell
    4 force of will
    1 entreat the angels

5 island
    2 plains
    4 polluted delta
    4 flooded strand
    1 arid mesa
    3 tundra
    1 karakas

Sideboard:

1 surgical extraction
    1 Grafdiggers cage (still need to buy a 2th surgical)
    1 hydroblast
    2 invasive surgery
    1 back to basics
    1 gideon, ally of zendikar
    1 disenchant
    1 containment priest
    1 ethersworn cannonist
    3 leyline of sanctity
    1 monestery mentor
    1 disenchant
    Last edited by Noloam_; 08-28-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    Eldrazi stompy list: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/player/noloam

sideboard guide can be found on page 84

Jul 2015
    Florianópolis, BR

I Just 5-0 on Mtgol with my soothsaying list (= Opponent: D&T, Grixis Control, Grixis Delver, UR Delver and Monored Storm.

3 Monastery Mentor
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Counterspell
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Portent
    2 Predict
    1 Council's Judgment
    4 Terminus
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Tundra
    2 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Counterbalance
    4 Island
    2 Soothsaying

1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Wear/Tear
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Snapcaster Mage

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanogs View Post
    I Just 5-0 on Mtgol with my soothsaying list (= Opponent: D&T, Grixis Control, Grixis Delver, UR Delver and Monored Storm.

3 Monastery Mentor
    2 Counterspell
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Portent
    2 Predict
    1 Council's Judgment
    4 Terminus
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Tundra
    2 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Counterbalance
    4 Island
    2 Soothsaying

1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Wear/Tear
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    This looks so interesting! Got a little report for us, for even perhaps just a summary of how it's been performing?

Aug 2014
    New Jersey

3 Monastery Mentor
    2 Counterspell
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Portent
    2 Predict
    1 Council's Judgment
    4 Terminus
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Tundra
    2 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Counterbalance
    4 Island
    2 Soothsaying

1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Wear/Tear
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    Decided to try it and went 3-2 and 5-0. Soothsaying actually overperformed.

Quote Originally Posted by itrytostorm View Post
    Decided to try it and went 3-2 and 5-0. Soothsaying actually overperformed.
    I wrote about the Soothsaying experiment on Page 3, finally people tried.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1017821

Even with CB in Miracles, I'm convinced it's just inferior. At this point, the best deck utilizing Mentor is either Daze Mentor or Esper Mentor. Esper Mentor has nothing to do with Miracles and Daze Mentor is more about tempo than the classic control.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

i prefer draw-go miracles, without any mainboard mentors. Blanking removal game one + big cardadvantage, is a solid gameplan

Quote Originally Posted by Noloam_ View Post
    i prefer draw-go miracles, without any mainboard mentors. Blanking removal game one + big cardadvantage, is a solid gameplan
    +1
    But I would suggest adding a 2nd entreat the angel in the main. An early entreat (like for 2) could stabilize a board state and enable a quick route to win.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Jsang View Post
    +1
    But I would suggest adding a 2nd entreat the angel in the main. An early entreat (like for 2) could stabilize a board state and enable a quick route to win.
    yeah i am really debating if i want +1 entreat and -1 predict/portent or +1 jace and -1 predict/portent
    Last edited by Noloam_; 08-29-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Aug 2014
    New Jersey

yeah i am really debating if i want +1 entreat and -1 predict/portent or +1 jace and -1 predict/portent
    They published your list. Very nice :)

I don't understand why playing counterbalance without mentor. The best thing you can do is setting up a 1 cc spell on top and casting the monk with full 1cc removal protection..

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Drzed View Post
    I don't understand why playing counterbalance without mentor. The best thing you can do is setting up a 1 cc spell on top and casting the monk with full 1cc removal protection..

you will understand it as soon as you see how long my games last. Balance usually catches 2-5 spells if you play a long game. And it increases your (UR)delver match, storm match + it kills the mirror

I can understand but it seems it has more to do with your playstyle than anything. Vs decks like Ur Delver I prefere to control just the right amount before turning the angle and killing. I played alot of CB before the ban (even in Delver SB) and the card was mediocre in a lot of matchups. Using it as a controlling tool AND as a protection in those matchup where CB can't do much (d&t) was the best way to play it imo. I could be wrong but it always worked well for me this way. Anyway it's great to see your progress with CB and keep us updated.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Drzed View Post
    I can understand but it seems it has more to do with your playstyle than anything. Vs decks like Ur Delver I prefere to control just the right amount before turning the angle and killing. I played alot of CB before the ban (even in Delver SB) and the card was mediocre in a lot of matchups. Using it as a controlling tool AND as a protection in those matchup where CB can't do much (d&t) was the best way to play it imo. I could be wrong but it always worked well for me this way. Anyway it's great to see your progress with CB and keep us updated.

yeah dont get me wrong. im not saying that it is as good as it was before the ban. it is way way worse and it is bad in some matched indeed. But that also goes for terminus and plowshares. What i am saying is that miracles is a vallue deck and counterbalance fits in that strategy nicely. It is also nice to drop a permanent once in a while, instead of holding infinite cards in hand after several predict.

yeah dont get me wrong. im not saying that it is as good as it was before the ban. it is way way worse and it is bad in some matched indeed. But that also goes for terminus and plowshares. What i am saying is that miracles is a vallue deck and counterbalance fits in that strategy nicely. It is also nice to drop a permanent once in a while, instead of holding infinite cards in hand after several predict.
    Yeah sure I was just talking about the (endless) debate of mentor Vs entreat and it just seemed to me that mentor was more synergic with a CB. But as I stated It's just theory and entreat is probably better for a slower deck playing CB.

Thread Information