Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Re: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Celestial Purge back?

Kills Leovold, Baleful Strix, Shaman, Blood Moon, Chandra and Liliana and 100% of Big Red creatures.
    Oh sorry Marit Lage as well.

Time to consider a couple of them?

Also, Czech Pile Eldrazi, Big Red, Grixis. If you manage to get rid of Shaman, From the Ashes is still a great card.
    Last edited by Poron; 06-14-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

I like Purge, but I feel like it's hard to justify a slot for it over the second Disenchant or Council's Judgement.

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Hi everybody,
    I'm playing Deathblade for a while and I checked all my cards I have access to and only 8 were missing for Miracles. So I'm trying some games and lists and come to this :
    Deck: miracles.dec

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:6
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Monastery Mentor

Spells:35
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Portent
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Counterbalance
    1 Counterspell
    2 Predict
    2 Search for Azcanta
    1 Unexpectedly Absent
    1 Entreat the Angels
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will
    4 Terminus
    1 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria

Lands:19
    4 Flooded Strand
    5 Island
    1 Marsh Flats
    3 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Tundra

Sideboard:15
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Council's Judgment

I played Miracles once with Top and won a Tournament. But this is just another deck today and way harder to play. I try Teferi because he seems quite strong. The ability to untap Azcanta and activate it twice seems quite strong.
    Any thoughts, suggestions, tips?

1) Wasteland decks are a solid reality
    2) You need 5 lands + Azcanta and Teferi in order to do it
    3) if you have 6 lands just Entreat the bitch dead

-1 Teferi
    +1 Entreat or Gideon, AoZ

-2 Azcanta
    +2 Predict or 1 Predict and 1 more land

-1 Terminus
    +1 Counterspell

-1 UA
    +1 Council’s Judgment

Generally speaking, I will never understand SfA. It gets a full turn to do something, it is sorcery speed, doesn’t get you win condition. it is just a card advantage engine. Just max the Predicts then
    Last edited by Poron; 06-16-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Search is really pretty spicy. I don't know if I'd run more than one but the one has been very good. Turning it into a land on turn 4 can let you play Jace outside of Daze range and the filtering is just generally nice.

One can be a good idea in order to make him keep his Wastelands and allow you to develop your mana base, additionally it is a mana accelerator (which requires a full timewalk for him)

Wouldn’t you rather just cast a Mentor at that point? Have we tried Thing in the Ice in that spot? Same mana just 1 turn slower and requires rapid answer by the opponent in order to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Generally speaking, I will never understand SfA. It gets a full turn to do something, it is sorcery speed, doesn’t get you win condition. it is just a card advantage engine. Just max the Predicts then
    This reminds me of Andrea Mengucci, who did'nt believe in the card until he really experienced it... now ask him about the card ;)

Search is simply amazing, far better than Predict to me.
    Unflipped, it is great card selection, through draws and graveyard for Snaps. It eases Miracle triggers.
    Flipped, it is both card selection and CA, and 1 extra land for a bigger Entreat. If not wasted, it is hard to lose from there.
    2 MB is perfect.
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    One can be a good idea in order to make him keep his Wastelands and allow you to develop your mana base, additionally it is a mana accelerator (which requires a full timewalk for him)

Wouldn’t you rather just cast a Mentor at that point? Have we tried Thing in the Ice in that spot? Same mana just 1 turn slower and requires rapid answer by the opponent in order to live.
    It could be explosive and effective, but Titi dies to everything, especially Push.
    If you want to play Titi, you want to play more counterspells, Probes, etc... in the end Miracles is not the best shell for him (I think there is a Titi Twister thread somewhere ; I used to play this deck last year)
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Agree with both your last two comments ParisFlorian. Search is much more powerful than you might first think, and Miracles certainly isn't the shell for Titi. We already have board wipes, and are mostly a reactive deck, where titi wan't to be proactive.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

At this point I’ll have to test it a little more.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Even unflipped, Search does not disappoint. Just as mana excelleration, Search is great. If you ever get the CA engine going though, it's just insane.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

I played the last months with 2 azcanta in my deathblade list. you have about 34 cards to find and the fact that azcanta wouldn't find win conditions isn't true. You can find both, jace and entreat. the only thing you have to do is to setup the entreat.
    I'm still trying Teferi. it's not bad. draw cards, untap lands, unexpectedly absent for 3 and the emblem was huge. casting brainstorm after his ultimate destroys the opponents. despite the fact I like azcanta I cut it and made some changes. my recent list I play online looks like this:

Deck: Uw Miracles

//Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Glacial Fortress
    5 Island
    1 Marsh Flats
    3 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Tundra

//Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Counterbalance
    2 Counterspell
    1 Entreat the Angels
    4 Force of Will
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Ponder
    3 Portent
    3 Predict
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
    3 Terminus
    1 Unexpectedly Absent

//Creatures
    3 Monastery Mentor
    3 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Blue Elemental Blast
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Council's Judgment
    2 Disenchant
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Vendilion Clique

show more

I'm a huge fan of Predict at the moment. There are many situations were I can draw 2 cards and it helps so much to enable miracle. A thing Azcanta can't do.
    I guess this choice depends on the player. Azcanta is a long term card advantage machine and definitely not a bad choice.

I give it a try

3 Terminus
    2 Kozilek’s Return
    4 Swords to Plowshares

4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    3 Predict
    3 Portent

1 Counterbalance
    2 Counterspell
    3 Force of Will

2 Jace, TMS
    1 Entreat the Angels

3 Monastery Mentor
    3 Snapcaster Mage

2 Council’s Judgment
    1 Disenchant

20 lands for red mana base

SB:
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pyroblasts
    1 From the Ashes
    1 Force of Will
    1 Disenchant
    1 Wear/Tear
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Celestial Purge
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Counterbalance

I have decided not to play Containment Priest because of Omniscience.
    Go straight to the throat: Spyglass for Sneak Attack and every possible other counter for Show and Tell

Boseiju? I lose

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Why Sorcerous Spyglass and no Needle?
    Kozilek's Return main, is your meta so creature heavy that's really necessary?
    Also Disenchant. Those cards are so situationally and can create dead cards in your deck.

Containment Priest is not only a hate card against Show and Tell.
    Green Sun's Zenith, Aether Vial, Reanimator, Dredge and a few more.
    Ethersworn Canonist helps against Omniscience because they can't play anymore in this turn and you get a chance to handle it.

K. Return: 80% of the times it is at least as good as a Terminus or when it follows a Brainstorm it leads you to the final attack with Mentor

Spyglass: it allows you to block Chandra and Ugin under Chalice. Life saver.

Disenchant is the only card MD that gets you out of Bloodmoon with 1 Plains. Check other lists and find 1 card that does the same

Priest and Canonist: great absent, yes.

Canonist is somehow dealt with Flusterstorm, FoW and Counterbalance
    Priest is just a great miss. Possibly -1 Purge -1 Spyglass +2 Priest

Anyway, interesting piece of hate against Cloudpost and Dark Depths

https://i.imgur.com/Sda9ugB_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium

Decay and Grips still get it.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

my thoughts about Alpine Moon:
    It's not that good. It fixes the mana base of the opponent making Decay easier to cast e.g. Stompy decks won't play this because they have chalice and can cast Blood Moon quite easily.

Yesterday was Tuesday and so we met in our lgs for 3 rounds of legacy. I played miracles was able to win twice.
    I played a list quite similar to this one.
    The difference was -1 Predict, -1 Entreat; +1 Azcanta, +1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    the choice was only due to the problem that my 3rd predict and entreat are somewhere at the post office.

1st Round (1-2): Pyromancer Control; a grixis control deck using Young Pyromancer+Probe+Therapy as a win condition and generating advantage.
    Game 1 I was able to handle everything quite good. Game 2+3 I got heavily disrupted by Therapy and couldn't find any answers in time.
    I made a lot of misplays also in the first round this day.

2nd Round (2-0): Dredge.
    Game 1 I can clear the board several times with terminus and can build up an army before he can come back again with his creatures.
    Game 2 I get turn 2 Counterbalance after countering his attempts to dredge for everything. Counterbalance counters everything he tries to get started. Turn 5 I play Containment Priest eot and start hitting him.

3rd Round (2-1): Abzan Maverick.
    Game 1 I can enable multiple Mentors and win by hitting hard.
    Game 2 I can create pressure with back to basics but he draws Abrupt Decay. Thalia makes everything hard and he can create too much board pressence.
    Game 3 I can get Mentor quite early again and can keep it. Thalia again slows mentor down until he dies to decay and I decide to reset everything with terminus because I have Gideon in play and can follow up with jace what is a win on an empty board.

I was quite happy how the deck performed. just a few things I didn't like:

Portent: Okay hands down. Portent is a strange card what I didn't realised online so much. It helps to set up terminus quite easily and it's a cantrip which looks at 3 cards. But the drawing in the opponent upkeep was so often a huge disadvantage when I was searching for important things. You can't use planeswalkers out of it, no mentor, no counterbalance and most important no lands. So many times I need those lands and can't get those. They were only really good first turn because the draw doesn't matter at this point so much. Probably I play Preordain. Maybe one Impulse.

Removal: I missed another massremoval in my sideboard. the obvious options are a 4th Terminus or Supreme verdict. but against and stuff I like Displacement Wave. The lack of a 3rd color makes Explosive too bad.

Counterspell: Conterspell felt sometimes clunky. I don't know if spell snare or one spell pierce

Sideboard: as I mentioned; I want extra removal. I would cut the Neddle. Needle is an overall good sideboard card no doubt but so far nothing really important was out there to use needle against. I wasn't that happy about Canonist. There was a Food Chain player and it's good against storm. no doubt. I don't expect many storm decks at sunday. any suggestions how to fill this slot ? I assume to keep Needle and replace one Canonist.My biggest critique goes out to canonist otherwise my sideboard was okay so far.

I agree on Alpine Moon. Same color, same card type, dies to Chalice.. at that point just play Blood Moon.

Anyway, you have been playing against 3 decks that suffers K. Return a lot and you want more sweepers.. what about trying my list?

I completely agree that Portent is the worst card of the deck. How was Teferi?

Apr 2016
    Germnay

The biggest problem is that I don't own any volcanic island. The only red dual lands I have are Plateaus and those would be not good.
    The only duals I own are Tundra, Underground Sea, Taiga, Badlands and Plateau and I won't buy any more because the prices are not of this world.

Kozileks Return is besides that okay. It can't handle True-Name Nemesis which is an issue for me. Also K. Return can't kill Leovold, Gurmag Angler or everything else with to much toughness.

I probably stick with Verdict at this point.
    If I would have access to red I would play with red.
    Red offers the deck many cards: Pyroblast mainly.
    Blood Moon is better than Bsck to Basics because it hates non basics way better.

Also I think about more artifact hate. Something like Null Rod or Stony Silence. I will face Death and Taxes this weekend for sure and even MUD. Overall there are many artifacts in my meta. Nemesis is a problem and with Sword of Fire and Ice an even bigger one

I would rather play Serenity

1 Plains and CotV, Trinisphere Blood Moon and everything else is done for. You need to hold back 1 more turn somehow.

Overall the decks Serenity is good against play either Vial/Cavern of high mana spells, which makes Counterbalance useless and we don’t play other enchantments or artifacts..

2 Serenity will do in my opinion. Anyway Spyglass is just much broader it gets Planeswalkers, DS and Vial/Equipment

Thread Information