Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Nov 2017
    Florianópolis, Brazil

Re: [Primer] UWx Miracle Control

Here in Brazil we had yesterday the CLC (Legacy Circuit), a championship with several monthly stages in several different cities. Yesterday was the last stage and we had a Miracles as champion.

The deck pilot was Stefano, the current Brazilian Legacy champion. There were about 30 players and the list was the following:

03 Snapcaster Mage

02 Jace TMS

04 Force of Will
    04 Counterbalance
    02 Soothsaying
    02 Predict
    02 Counterspell
    04 Swords to Plowshares
    04 Terminus
    01 Council's Judgement
    02 Monastery Mentor
    04 Brainstorm
    04 Ponder
    02 Portent

04 Polluted Delta
    04 Flooded Strand
    01 Arid Mesa
    04 Islands
    02 Plains
    03 Volcanic Island
    02 Tundra

Sideboard:

02 Containment Priest
    01 Engineered Explosives
    01 Wear // Tear
    01 Disenchant
    01 Red Elemental Blast
    02 Pyroblast
    03 Flusterstorm
    02 Blood Moon
    02 Surgical Extraction

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

I played in MKM Barcelona yesterday, thought I'd do a quick write up of it. I wasn't taking notes but I'll try to remember the games roughly.

Ended up 9th with a difference of 1.5% in breakers, bit of a bummer. Especially annoying as I lost a win and in for Modern the day before.

This is the list

3 Snapcaster Mage

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1 Search for Azcanta

1 Engineered Explosives

4 Ponder
    3 Portent
    3 Terminus
    2 Entreat the Angels
    1 Council's Judgment

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Counterspell
    3 Predict
    1 Flusterstorm

3 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Island
    2 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Arid Mesa

Sb
    2 Monastery Mentor
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Pyroclasm

Round 1 vs Death and Taxes 2-0

G1: Opponent is on the play and leads with a vial which gets forced, without it he's only able to curve out and I can easily remove all the threats and Jace takes over. Search for Azcanta made an appearance but only after the game was locked up.

+2 Monastery Mentor
    +1 Pyroclasm
    +2 Disenchant

-3 Coutnerspell
    -1 Flusterstorm
    -1 Search for Azcanta

G2: They lead again with Vial off a Port, my hand has a bunch of StP, cantrips and lands so I'm OK with it for now. They then drop another which I force as I'd found a CJ for the first, they then play another. Two turns later they play the fourth. All these vials left them low on creatures so I wasn't under any pressure letting Jace and soon after a Mentor take over.

Round 2 vs 4c Pile (Tomas Mar) 0-2

G1: He simply played better than me this game. I played passively while he used Brainstorms early to get Snapcasters out there, with the damage adding up I was forced to fight over things that usually wouldn't matter in the matchup.

+2 Monastery Mentor
    +1 Pyroclasm
    +2 Pyroblast
    +1 Flusterstorm

-2 Force of Will
    -2 Terminus
    -2 Swords to Plowshares

It's probably a mistake to not bring in Blood Moons, but I know he plays a lot more decays than usual. He said after he was leaving up decay almost all the time.

G2: I wasn't able to answer a turn two Sylvan Library before it'd drawn three extra cards, discard into Jace then ran me over.

Round 3 vs Bant Deathblade 2-1

G1: Coming off the back of playing badly for a loss so early I kept a sketchy one. Tundra, Brainstorm, Counterspell, Counterspell, Predict, Jace, Swords. I lead with Tundra intending to Brainstorm eot vs almost anything, opp plays Island go. I think maybe it was a mirror, but he didn't seem like a Miracles player. The Brainstorm gets Spell Pierced, I fail to draw a land and then the Tundra gets wasted. I die after not finding any more land for too long, but see enough of his deck to know what I'm against. Crucially they Dazed a Swords on a Clique which didn't matter as I was dead to a TNN anyway, which was great info to have.

+2 Pyroblast
    +2 Blood Moon
    +1 Pyroclasm
    +1 Disenchant (hadn't seen SfM g1, would otherwise bring in 2)

-1 Entreat the Angels
    -1 Flusterstorm
    -2 Counterspell
    -1 Force of Will
    -1 Swords to Plowshares

G2: They have Noble into Meddling Mage on Terminus, then SfM grabbing skull which hits the table along with a DRS and a second Noble soon after. This leads to a blowout turn 6 of Pyroclasm into Jace bounce the germn with double force backup. A Daze on the Jace gets forced as does a followup TNN on their turn, Jace easily buries them from there.

G3: Opp kept a threat light hand which I realise after they pass turn 3, I Portent them and get Jace onto an empty board soon after.

Round 4 vs Elves 2-1

This is vs a friend from Germany who is a very skilled player with the deck. While Elves is generally a good matchup, it's not one I'm excited to face here.

G1: They have a hand that goes all in on turn three on the play with a GSZ for 8, but I have the Fluster for it and an EE to mop up the board on my third turn. Jace takes over from there.

I'm still unsure on Canonist in this matchup, I decided not to bring them in this time.

+1 Containment Priest
    +1 Flusterstorm
    +2 Monastery Mentor
    +1 Pyroclasm
    +1 Disenchant (hedge for Choke)

-1 Plains
    -2 Counterspell
    -1 Search for Azcanta
    -1 Force of Will
    -1 Entreat the Angels

G2: He plays the value game this time and after forcing a Glimpse I run out of gas quickly and can't find a Sweeper or Jace, the little green men swarm me.

On the draw I bring the Force of Will back in for the last Counterspell.

G3: Similar to game two, except my deck decided I shouldn't lose this match, despite trying my best to anyway. This game I truly played terribly, but there's no justice in this world. After grinding until about turn ten, I'm facing lethal on board with just a land in hand. I draw a Ponder which shows me Predict, Scalding Tarn, Terminus. Well then. I Terminus with them attacking for lethal, but they unload the rest of their hand following it, presenting lethal again. The second card I'd drawn off the Predict was another Terminus which I hardcast. I'm now at 3 life and my opponent drew a Llanowar Elf for their turn with a Pendelhaven in play. I draw a Portent, showing me Entreat, Swords, EE. Well then pt 2. This is the first of two attempts to lose the game. I'd missed a Swords to Plowshares a few turns before, putting them on 21, but I had 19 down. So I cracked a fetch to Entreat for 5 angels in their upkeep, shuffling away the other removal to set up lethal. I realise this in their turn, so I'd given them an out of DRS or GSZ, but they don't get it. They draw a 1/1. Following that, I then attack with 3 Angels on my turn, which then also gives them an out of an Abrupt Decay to remove one of the two angels on defense. I again realise straight after, but there's no punish. If you read this Jan, sorry!

Round 5 vs Miracles (Johannes Gutbrod) 1-1-1

Before pairing went up were we joking about hopefully avoiding each other, womp womp. Since there were so many interactions this match I don't remember too many details unfortunately.

G1: I'm able to cantrip into a bunch of counterspells and snapcasters with a followup Jace while avoiding drawing white cards, which is ideal for g1 of this matchup. An EOT snapcaster draws out a Counterspell letting me untap on T6 with Jace, counterspell of my own and a force. Jace resolves and takes over.

-4 Swords to Plowshares
    -1 Engineered Explosives
    -2 Plains

+2 Pyroblast
    +2 Monastery Mentor
    +1 Flusterstorm
    +2 Surgical Extraction

I actually think Surgical as a 1 or 2 of, depending on configuration, is pretty good in the mirror. I knew I'd be facing 3/3 Fluster/Pyroblasts after board vs my 2/2, so felt quite unfavoured going into these games.

G2: We both cantrip the first few turns until they cast a Mentor turn 3, which I Counterspell. I cantrip for a proactive play, but find a Terminus and sense with the 'slam' of Mentor t3 and no fighting over it there was another to come. Sure enough, another mentor comes down which is OK to resolve, the Terminus then resolves too. I surgical the Mentors while he's tapped out and see a truly disgusting hand of Blast, Blast, Fluster, Force, Force, Jace and Snap. I found a spot with an Entreat to deplete all the cards, but he'd drawn another blue card for the turn so was able to keep Jace. I had a Brainstorm to dig for a blast but didn't find it, Jace quickly does what he does best.

G3: Both games had gone pretty long, so we're low on time and play fast from the beginning. I have a T2 Search for Azcanta which he's forced to aggressively find a blast for, which doesn't happen. It flipped turn 4 letting me play a Jace with Fluster/Blast backup. After a Brainstorm, J gets blasted. He plays a Jace of his own which also gets blasted after an activation. We carry on trading resources until time is called. We're both almost empty handed, with the flipped Search looking like it'd take over the game, but it's too hard to say for sure. We discuss one of us conceding, but end up thinking a draw here and both of us winning out might be good for T8.

Round 6 vs Moon stompy 2-0

I won't split up the games here as they weren't too interesting. I had answers for everything and made Angels quickly, the match was over in about 10 minutes.

-2 Terminus
    -1 Portent
    -1 Flusterstorm

+2 Disenchant
    +2 Monastery Mentor

Round 7 vs BG Depths 2-0

My memory starts to get a bit hazy here.

G1: I'm able to float a Swords on top of my deck with cantrips until all their discard spells are depleted, Marit goes farming and I'm able to play Jace on a board of an Urborg.

-1 Terminus
    -1 Entreat the Angels
    -1 Search for Azcanta
    -1 Counterspell
    -1 Force of Will
    -1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    -1 Predict

+2 Blood Moon
    +1 Flusterstorm
    +2 Surgical Extraction
    +2 Disenchant

G2: Again I use cantrips to float useful cards until turn 6 where my opponent has a board of a Dark Confidant and the combo, I brainstorm into a Blood Moon with a second Brainstorm and a Terminus in hand. They are forced to make Lage in resp, letting me upkeep the terminus. Jace then fateseals any Abrupt Decays away.

Round 8 vs Grixis Delver 2-1

I knew even with a win this'd be a sweat.

G1: I don't know what my opponent is on, so keep a fine hand of cantrips and lands. They lead with a DRS on the play, followed by a Delver, Young Pyromancer and a TNN. EE takes care of the Delver and DRS, the Pyro goes farming but I can't find an answer for the TNN. I get wasted twice this game as I'm left at 1 and 1 mana short of Portenting a Terminus on the last turn.

+2 Monastery Mentor
    +1 Pyroclasm
    +2 Pyroblast
    +1 Flusterstorm
    +2 Blood Moon

-3 Counterspell
    -2 Entreat the Angels
    -1 Search for Azcanta
    -1 Jace, the Mind sculptor
    -1 Predict

G2: I have a double stp and snapcaster hand and am able to remove everything they play, brainstorm plays around some therapies and a Mentor hits the table. It gets bolted fairly quickly, but snaps and tokens finish up.

G3: I have a fairly nice hand with a swords, some cantrips and fetches for basics. They lead with a Delver, and when I crack a Strand for an Island exclaim 'oh, you don't have the swords this time'. This tells me they don't have a Daze in hand which was quite crucial for how the game played out. With a Portent I find a basic plains, Flusterstorm and Pyroclasm, perfect. Delver doesn't flip and they play fetch go. I draw the fluster and play Plains pass, they Brainstorm end of turn. In response I cast the Swords and get rewarded, they crack the fetch to Pierce the Swords and Fluster eats both the Pierce and Brainstorm. They apparently had a land heavy hand, Mentor soon hits the table, a bolt gets forced and they concede.

End result 6-1-1

Thoughts on a few choices

Search for Azcanta - the jury is still out on this as I rarely drew it. I still think it has a lot of potential, needs to be played more.

EE maindeck over a 4th Terminus - I think the 4th Terminus is better. EE didn't really perform much this day.

2 Volcs - This was a mistake, a third Volc over a blue fetch is likely better.

Pyroclasm - I think this card is phenomenal at the moment, would even like access to a second somehow.

C Priest - This was a bit of a meta call, I'd seen a lot more SnS at the last MKM than I expected. Also Europe has some very strong Elves players, I generally don't like it in our sb though.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    EE maindeck over a 4th Terminus - I think the 4th Terminus is better. EE didn't really perform much this day.
    This is also my conclusion but for different reason. EE can't deal with Gurmag, while StP is often spent on DRS. EE can't deal with Nissa from Elves, or opposing Jace. Ever since Hans won EW with Jace SB, this strategy appears to be gaining popularity. I don't think EE and 4th Terminus are interchangeable. The configuration is often 1 EE + 1 CJ. Currently 2 CJ might be better off in this meta, as in -1 EE +1 CJ.

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

Very good result.
    Imho is a mistake do not sideboard-in Moon vs 4c because of his intense non basic mana base.
    EE imho is in maindeck ALSO as mass removal, but his power is destroy Chalice.
    I don't think that Terminus and EE have the same use.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    This is also my conclusion but for different reason. EE can't deal with Gurmag, while StP is often spent on DRS. EE can't deal with Nissa from Elves, or opposing Jace. Ever since Hans won EW with Jace SB, this strategy appears to be gaining popularity. I don't think EE and 4th Terminus are interchangeable. The configuration is often 1 EE + 1 CJ. Currently 2 CJ might be better off in this meta, as in -1 EE +1 CJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    Very good result.
    Imho is a mistake do not sideboard-in Moon vs 4c because of his intense non basic mana base.
    EE imho is in maindeck ALSO as mass removal, but his power is destroy Chalice.
    I don't think that Terminus and EE have the same use.
    Yes you're both right, I should have expanded a bit more on the EE vs Terminus thing. They're not totally analogous. The Pyroclasm in the sideboarded also comes into the equation as another sweeper to have five, where before I had four Terminus in the main and an EE in the sideboard. I went for this configuration to have two maindeck answers for Chalice, but after thinking about it some more, Search is also a very good proactive card to find what we need to combat it game one too.

Council's Judgment was really solid for me on Sunday, in my head two feels super clunky, but it's not unreasonable.

And I agree with you Hrothgar about Moon. Despite him holding up Decay for it, it's still a correct card to sideboard in, a mistake for sure.
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

So recently I saw https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...-mkm-barcelona MKM Barcelona result, which has Rip-Helm Miracles.

Most people in the community would believe that Rip-Helm is a less competitive version. However, given the current meta game, is it?

I'm personally not a fan of RiP + EF. Even if you hide behind that mini-combo with that Moat in that list, you could still just die to a Flickerwisp. The combo itself is rather clunky. Most people dislike E-Tutor, and E-Tutor in RiP-Helm build makes sense, is it possible to apply it to other builds?

Land
    1x Arid Mesa
    4x Flooded Strand
    5x Island
    1x Karakas
    1x Mountain
    2x Plains
    3x Scalding Tarn
    2x Tundra
    1x Volcanic Island

Enchantment
    1x Blood Moon
    1x Counterbalance
    1x Leyline of Sanctity

Creature
    3x Monastery Mentor
    3x Snapcaster Mage

Instant
    4x Brainstorm
    1x Counterspell
    2x Enlightened Tutor
    2x Flusterstorm
    4x Force of Will
    1x Predict
    1x Kozilek's Return
    4x Swords to Plowshares

Sorcery
    1x Council's Judgment
    4x Ponder
    3x Portent
    2x Terminus

Artifact
    1x Engineered Explosives

Planeswalker
    1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

I know Jace, CS, Council, CB, and Karakas appear to be greedy due to the UU and the WW. However, every time I took out Karakas, I got run over by opponent's Leovold/Thalia. Leyline of Sanctity is surprisingly good if your LGS has a lot of Turbo Depths and Storm.

See how many times you surprise your opponent by EoT E-Tutor up Blood Moon/White Leyline and then cast an enchantment on your turn with Flusterstorm back up.

Mar 2013
    Bern (Switzerland)

Hei guys

I played my lovely Miracle again in a Tournament. 1k Legacy Lucerne @Gameplace.

I did top 8 with but i lost the quarter:(

anyway 6 Rounds Undeafetet.

2:0 Dark Dephts Reanimator
    1:1 Jund (Without Pif but more Bolts and Discard) I would probably win it if there would be no time, Had a Jace on 5 but can't do the Ultimate at this Point.
    2:0 Lands
    2:0 Czech Pile
    2:0 Foodchain
    ID

Top 8:

1:2 Aluren https://go.twitch.tv/videos/200658573 at 5:30 i think.

It was a really strange version and i did not know that he played aluren until he won g1 with double aluren into win. I would play completly different! i was a little confused in the end haha..
    G2 I have to much cards.. I mean basically every removal is pretty strong.
    G3 Was a fight. In the end he was on 4 Life and i had a snap on the field and 2 mana open for a second snapi and i go for the win route and he had a random decay in hand. I never saw one so i have to do it.
    Anyway after a few turns he found more business than me with the library and i drow 3 Lands in a row in the end that cost me the game:(

My List:

// UWR Portent Miracle 2

// 60 Hauptdeck
    // 7 Creature
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Monastery Mentor

// 19 Instant
    4 Force of Will
    3 Predict
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Counterspell
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Flusterstorm

// 20 Land
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Tundra
    3 Island
    2 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Misty Rainforest

// 3 Planeswalker
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

// 11 Sorcery
    4 Ponder
    3 Terminus
    3 Portent
    1 Council's Judgment

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 1 Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives

// 2 Creature
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Vendilion Clique

// 10 Instant
    SB: 2 Wear // Tear
    SB: 1 Flusterstorm
    SB: 3 Pyroblast
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Kozilek's Return

// 1 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Pyroclasm

The List is really Strong! But i have to say i never played a Deck that is harder to play than this. You really have to know other Decks and how they work. One wrong small decision can cost you the Game.
    Anyway Great Tournament and my Teammate won with my Bug-List so i'm happy for him:)

Greets Pascal

Search for Azcanta - the jury is still out on this as I rarely drew it. I still think it has a lot of potential, needs to be played more.
    My first thought when someone mentioned trying this card in Legacy was that in a format that has Abrupt Decay and more importantly Wasteland this seems like a bad choice, especially in a deck with no other worthwhile Abrupt Decay targets and lots of basic lands.

What was I missing?

Mar 2013
    Bern (Switzerland)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobal View Post
    My first thought when someone mentioned trying this card in Legacy was that in a format that has Abrupt Decay and more importantly Wasteland this seems like a bad choice, especially in a deck with no other worthwhile Abrupt Decay targets and lots of basic lands.

What was I missing?
    I thought the same at first. I tested it a Little bit (of course i Need more testing). I Cutted 1 snapi and 3 Mentor and put the Mentors in sided. I added 2 EOT und 2 Search.
    EOT as a random one off feels really bad without a top engine. This Enchantment/Land generate you some specific advange.

+ Better topdeck controll..+predict Combos)
    + If it's flipped you can choose a Card of the top 4 and put 1 in Hand. (probaly the best of the 4 and put the other bad Cards bottom to draw maybe a new good Card in the drawstep)
    +Tempowin with the mana. T4 Flip with a land in Hand are t4 jace with flusterstorm backup in somesituation.
    +Tempo lose for the oppenent when he have a wasteland(for example we have t4 the flip and already 4 lands in Play, now if he not already used the wasteland he uses his wasteland for the free land and we can still search a Card:)
    +Better entreat enabler even if you put it in the Hand then you need just a Combo Piece for put it back on top.
    +you can choose to flip. If he has wasteland in some Situation you can just not flip it

-Maybe bad topdeck in some Situation. It can also be a good topdeck.
    -Decay or REB are probably the worst Situation for it. But i mean Mentor eats decay also and snapi eats REB. i think it is Fair.

That are my thoughts about it.

Greets Pascal

Two lists from Miracles heavy hitters and a couple of talking points:

Anuraag Das' most recent list from SCG Team Event this weekend - https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/833493#paper

Search for Azcanta - Anuraag is playing three copies of the card! This is also a big departure from his Eternal Weekend list, which featured none.

Entreat the Angels - He chose to play two copies, which brings us to...

Daniel Miller's most recent list, from the Classic at this SCG Event (2nd place) - https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/833560#paper

Entreat the Angels - two copies here

Counterbalance and Back to Basics - two copies MD of each; this keeps with what Daniel has been playing for a month now.

Would love to have some discussion on these card choices, especially Search for Azcanta!

Quote Originally Posted by korstructure View Post
    Two lists from Miracles heavy hitters and a couple of talking points:

Anuraag Das' most recent list from SCG Team Event this weekend - https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/833493#paper

Search for Azcanta - Anuraag is playing three copies of the card! This is also a big departure from his Eternal Weekend list, which featured none.

Entreat the Angels - He chose to play two copies, which brings us to...

Daniel Miller's most recent list, from the Classic at this SCG Event (2nd place) - https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/833560#paper

Entreat the Angels - two copies here

Counterbalance and Back to Basics - two copies MD of each; this keeps with what Daniel has been playing for a month now.

Would love to have some discussion on these card choices, especially Search for Azcanta!
    Miller is my new hero. He's been running 2 CB and 2 B2B for a while now, I remember he has them for EW, if my memory still serves me correctly. Noticeably, he hasn't jump on the Search bandwagon, yet.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Miller is my new hero. He's been running 2 CB and 2 B2B for a while now, I remember he has them for EW, if my memory still serves me correctly. Noticeably, he hasn't jump on the Search bandwagon, yet.
    Out of interest, why do you think it's a 'bandwagon'?

Out of interest, why do you think it's a 'bandwagon'?
    It's a new card, people want to experiment with it, I get it, it's fine to try, as I do with fringe cards from time to time.

However, the more I tried Miller's Back to Basic game plan, the more I incline to agree with that philosophy of centering around basic lands. This commitment means that you have the non-bo (anti-synergy) with Karakas and... Azcanta land. But as I've mentioned earlier, Karakas in a necessary evil, especially when Leovold is so brutal.

While we are talking about experimental new cards ...

Has anyone tested Abrade in a Miracles sideboard (or maindeck?) yet? It seems like an ideal hedge card, like when you don't know whether your Delver opponent will board in Winter Orb etc.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

It's a new card, people want to experiment with it, I get it, it's fine to try, as I do with fringe cards from time to time.

However, the more I tried Miller's Back to Basic game plan, the more I incline to agree with that philosophy of centering around basic lands. This commitment means that you have the non-bo (anti-synergy) with Karakas and... Azcanta land. But as I've mentioned earlier, Karakas in a necessary evil, especially when Leovold is so brutal.
    Right...I don't get the problem? The card is powerful, it's new and being experimented with, so hardly 'fringe'?

Karakas is a terrible answer to Leovold. Since you have no way of punishing the tempo loss, you're giving them cards and never actually dealing with the issue.

Right...I don't get the problem? The card is powerful, it's new and being experimented with, so hardly 'fringe'?

Karakas is a terrible answer to Leovold. Since you have no way of punishing the tempo loss, you're giving them cards and never actually dealing with the issue.
    If you're committed to Miller's list, Search is not attractive at all. It can allow you to Predict better at best. The Impulse part, which is deemed powerful by many, is just anti-synergy with B2B.

If your hand is full of cantrips, no Jace, no removal, the only way to "unlock" this board state is to bounce the Leovold, so that you can play the cantrips to find an answer. Either to counter Leo on its way down, or find that removal. I'm sure you don't need me to point that out. Karakas by itself is versatile enough in many match-ups, and the popularity of Leovold in the recent meta made the card even more important, as evident in Miller's list. Funny thing is, with the rise in the popularity of Leovold, I still see people running Predict, including Miller. When Leovold in play, your predict can draw you a card at best, it's so underwhelming. If I really want to dig for an answer for Leovold and I know the card is popular in my LGS, I would rather run Impulse instead.

With all the reasonings I have listed, I don't get the problem.

I am unsure the philosophy of centering around basic lands necessitates Back to Basics. They work well together but one does not demand the other. That being said, having a high quantity of basics is absurdly appealing.

Regarding Search, the card has been insane. It snaps open the control matchups, gives you something more impactful to do vs Delver in the earlier turns, and is almost a better Jace in the combo matchups. I am pretty sure it will become standard, though maybe 3 is a bit much.

random thoughts. enjoy if you're a sicko like me

So I wrote a small FAQ for the deck. Since people seem to return to the same questions in cycles every few months. Anyone is free to comment in the document if they find typos, if they disagree with something, or want me to add something (maybe I forgot some question?). You can find it Here!

^
    Very in-depth. Good work, sir.

Thread Information