Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Re: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Hi, all. I'm looking at taking the following list to SCG Atlanta this weekend for the classic and the side events. Is there anything egregiously wrong with the list, or anything I haven't taken into consideration?

MAIN:
    Creatures:
    3 Snapcaster Mage

Spells:
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Flusterstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Portent
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Counterbalance
    2 Predict
    1 Search for Azcanta
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Entreat the Angels
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will
    4 Terminus

Lands:
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    6 Island
    3 Plains
    3 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island

SIDE:
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Flusterstorm
    2 Path to Exile
    3 Pyroblast
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    1 Supreme Verdict

Some notes: I notice most lists are running a 2-2 split between Tundras and Volcanics. I'm on a 2-1 split pretty much entirely because I don't have a second Volcanic. Is it even worth the side splash for the Blast effects if I only have one (hard to protect) red source? I've geared my sideboard to be generically good against a wide variety of decks, as I'm sure I'll be playing against a lot of different decks at the event. I followed the advice of some more experienced players and shifted the last Snapcaster to the side, as they gain more value in games 2 and 3 once you've configured your interaction to suit the opponent's deck. Between the full 4 Terminus and StP, my removal suite in the main is pretty tight. I included the Verdict in the side for grindy creature matchups. I also included 2x Path to Exile for the same reason, but I'm not sure that's the best use of those slots. I've considered putting 2 Mentors there so I can bring in different threats in matchups that require it. I'd like to hear other players' thoughts on that.
    Riding the Spiral

May 2016
    Portland, OR

Part of what makes Jace so good is that having him around multiple turns makes it so difficult to lose. He just puts you so much farther ahead if you 0 him twice then he gets blasted compared to plussing Teferi (or any other walker) twice before it dies. Basically, any non JTMS walker needs to do something other than gain straight card advantage (ie: Gideon, AoZ) or not be blue (Chandra, ToD, who our mana cannot support).

No posts in about a week? Might as well suggest some Jank:

Psychic Possession

For grindy matchups. Also sets up miracles every turn and keeps ponder live against a Leovold. Yes it's terrible, but I got nothing else going on!
    Quote Originally Posted by SaberTooth View Post
    if brainstorm is banned, legacy will lost his heart

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Off the current topic of how to beat Dragon Stompy:

Has anyone tried From the Ashes in place of Back to Basics or Blood Moon? Seems good against the current greedy manabases, albeit possibly narrow. Its also expensive to cast.
    Why is it greedy/narrow? Back to Basic basically says you cannot commit to running Karakas and/or Search. FtA can actually convert a Karakas/Serarch into a basic land. Let's say B2B or FtA gets countered on stack, Snapcaster can actually flashback FtA, which is another perk. B2B requires opponent's tapping and sometimes an active DRS would allow Grixis deck to squeeze out. Instead of MD B2B, one ought to try MD FtA, your Lands opponent probably won't see it coming.

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    No posts in about a week? Might as well suggest some Jank:

Psychic Possession

For grindy matchups. Also sets up miracles every turn and keeps ponder live against a Leovold. Yes it's terrible, but I got nothing else going on!
    Most of our discussion has shifted away from this place to our Discord. If you'd like to join, feel free to click this link below!
    https://discord.gg/hVhkvEW
    Quote Originally Posted by B88 View Post

People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost — For Support Rather Than Illumination

Have been feeling underwhelmed by V-Clique. While impactful in grindy control mirrors, and can deal with planewalkers, and can speed up a clock vs storm or Sneak and show, It rarely plays out this way. Its horrible vs the control decks playing Strix, It doesn't create a clock like monastery mentor does, and I'm really tempted to make the 2nd Clique I have in the board a 4th snapcaster mage. Thoughts?

Also that discord link is dead.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Kendawg View Post
    Have been feeling underwhelmed by V-Clique. While impactful in grindy control mirrors, and can deal with planewalkers, and can speed up a clock vs storm or Sneak and show, It rarely plays out this way. Its horrible vs the control decks playing Strix, It doesn't create a clock like monastery mentor does, and I'm really tempted to make the 2nd Clique I have in the board a 4th snapcaster mage. Thoughts?

I mostly agree, Clique is a fine card but rarely seems to pull its weight these days. I'm playing three Mentor in the board, the third was a Clique sometimes.

Here's another invite, shouldn't expire - https://discord.gg/sHGrP5F
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

I am currently on a Entreat build, with 3 Mentors SB.
    I run 2 copies of Entreat MD. Are you happy with just one ? Personnally I had sometimes some troubles to close games with a single one.

Florian
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Quote Originally Posted by Kendawg View Post

The problem you described is real. However, there're couple things to note: 4-color control with Strix is one MU. Clique is a versatile SB card, people usually don't want to focus that much on a single MU. Just because they run Strix does't mean they'll have it untapped when you flash Clique-in EOT to go after their Planeswalker.

Another thing is the function of Clique vs Snapcaster. They fundamentally serve different purpose. Going back to 4-color control, this is a MU about CA and multiple angles of attack. I get your frustration, just don't think this 1-card swap would give you the edge in this MU.

Long story short, Clique is still effective and disruptive against combo decks.

Boiyayoiyayoing
    Mar 2012
    SoCal, USA

Anyone put up any results (good or bad) testing Ancestral Visions?
    Whack lists currently playing:
    Rector Nic Fit
    Bizarro Stormy
    Rest In Pieces

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Do we start packing Stony Silence for Steel Stompy?
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

May 2016
    Portland, OR

I think I'd rather go to a card like By Force that also serves as a chalice answer. Though Stony Silence / Null Rod might make sense in UW or if you're looking for a card against storm as well.

Haha and here is my prophecy of Null Rod in Miracle

Anyway, 100% of Eldrazi’s and Steel Stompy’s lands are non basic. Back to Basics and a well timed Terminus should do it

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Haha and here is my prophecy of Null Rod in Miracle
    Return of the King!
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    Return of the King!
    Everybody is coming back.

Oh look one of my comments is in your sig!
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Aura of Silence and Serenity.. for white players MUD has never been a problem

If you had access to a Moat, would it be something you would probably utilize in the sideboard, or would it not make the cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    If you had access to a Moat, would it be something you would probably utilize in the sideboard, or would it not make the cut?
    Moat is great and you should never pass up a chance to play it, but attacking with Mentors > Moat sadly.

So in the board alongside a couple clique with options such as 1-2 Entreat and Baneslayer Angel?

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    As I often face Eldrazis, and since I am on an Entreat build, I run 1 Moat in SB. In other situations, I guess there are better choices for this slot (eg Humility, PTE...)
    If you also run Blood moon / B2B in your SB, beware of the WW in the cost (be sure to play 3 or 4 basic plains)

Florian
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Thread Information